• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
On the plus side, the game's predecessors had some really fun music. Sort of a laidback, feel-good jazz feel to it. Gotta love it.
Mountain Zone and Blue Sky are pretty cool.

Wait, you mean your avatar was a guy this whole time?

Wow, do I feel silly now.
It's because you know I'm female anyway? People tend to mistake me for a guy because of the avatar alone. Also, Japanese character, etc.

This is less ambiguous:
bvneo.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KuGsj.gif

Well... Tir... can be... pretty...I guess?

Darn, now I'm wishing Suikoden had a cross-dressing event instead of an exotic dancer recruitment event. :p This avatar makes it look like he has a ponytail.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
YOU GUYS ARE BEING SILLY

HsL6R.png

WELL IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE I THOUGHT HE WAS A GIRL

*clings tightly to her lesbian...ness*
Actually...
When I first played Genso Suikoden when I was little, I think I had a crush on his character art. I'm not so much into crushing on game character now, though.
So you shouldn't feel bad.

Shadow Hog said:
And then you wind up dating Barrett.
Barret is the best person to date in that game!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SAGE question: Is Sonic the Hedgehog PC not that bad?

Because even while looking at the screens, I felt like there was more to it than how it looked. You know, diamond in the rough and all that.

Because even while looking at the screens, I felt like there was more to it than how it looked. You know, diamond in the rough and all that.

But which Sonic game? Sonic Generations, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog Episode 1?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But which Sonic game? Sonic Generations, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog Episode 1?
This.

I remember qq more talking about it, and I know Sega1991 reviewed the SAGE demo but ended up saying something like it not being the worst game at SAGE, which should be mean something about it is worth playing it for.

This.

I remember qq more talking about it, and I know Sega1991 reviewed the SAGE demo but ended up saying something like it not being the worst game at SAGE, which should be mean something about it is worth playing it for.

Ohh I haven't played it, but I don't know, looking at the screens, mmmmm I don't like it, but I think that I could give it a try!

qq more

I don't recall if I played it or not. I know there was a fan game that couldn't work at all, but I don't remember if it was this game. Let me check. I have a folder full of SAGE 2012 games.

EDIT: Yep, it was this game and WHY DOES THE ERROR MESSAGE KEEP POPPING UP? LEMME CLOSE THE GAME W/O THE TASK MANAGER

EDIT2: The game's icon is beautiful

sonicpcicon.png

wait a fuckin' minute...

Dark Schala's a woman!?!?

First Billiechu, now this. We need a headcount, who are all officially members of the fairer sex?

Also needs creepier boss fights

holy fuck what was with the boss fights in Spinball? Nightmare fuel for kids! I love it!

That was Nightmare Fuel? I was raised on Don Bluth, those bosses were anything but scary. What was scary was how tough that game got in a hurry.

qq more

i never realized Spinball had stages other than Toxic Caves until a few years ago.

I was actually shocked for the opposite reasons. The game only has 3 or 4 stages.

But then I quickly remembered that each stage took me forever to beat (actually only beaten the first two stages. Gave up at the third stage). :V

OMG Aero

VIDEOGAME SECRETS: Spinball has more than one stage

wooowwww
This is actually a popular misconception.
After Toxic Caves Sonic Spinball just ends, anyone who says otherwise is lying like all those "you can play as Luigi in the original Super Mario 64".

They probably thought no one would notice.

People should notice...it can be a pretty fun game in short bursts. Just needed more varied levels. It was just screaming for an Robotnikland style level. I mean if the Kremmlings can have an amusement park at their place, so can Robotnik

Sciz

Can't say I really enjoyed Spinball myself, seemed more like a budget title.

It basically was, given that its development consisted of the cast-off American members of STI being given under a year to have a game out in time for holiday '93 after Sonic 2 wrapped up.

Emitan

The boss fights in Colors were so easy. 3 hits, wow.

2 hits on the first boss. lol Ferris wheel

When I was streaming it for you guys I was super confused on what was going on because I accidentally killed the first boss in about 20 seconds.

BHZ Mayor

It basically was, given that its development consisted of the cast-off American members of STI being given under a year to have a game out in time for holiday '93 after Sonic 2 wrapped up.
Well I guess that explains why it felt like something to just hold us over until Sonic 3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*use laser wisp*
*instadead*
"Oh. Okay..."
And half the time you didn't even know what was going on when you used it.

Colours's boss fights could have been great if they didn't recycle them, and if some of the bosses were a tad longer (even Nega-Wisp Armour Phase 2 didn't get to play in full at all).

EDIT: Yep, it was this game and WHY DOES THE ERROR MESSAGE KEEP POPPING UP? LEMME CLOSE THE GAME W/O THE TASK MANAGER

EDIT2: The game's icon is beautiful

sonicpcicon.png
I can't tell what colour Sonic's eyes are in that icon. It needs enhancing.

And if it's borked, I'm probably not going to take a chance with it, then... I'll just start up After the Sequel like I've been meaning to and post some screens of that instead. 4-day weekend, etc.

wait a fuckin' minute...

Dark Schala's a woman!?!?
I thought it was somewhat obvious...? ~_^

Nert

Colours's boss fights could have been great if they didn't recycle them, and if some of the bosses were a tad longer (even Nega-Wisp Armour Phase 2 didn't get to play in full at all).

I agree. The second phase of that last fight was just begging to be at least three times as long, if only to hear more of the music. I do think that they were probably my favorite boss fights in the series in a while, though, because they did a good job of allowing you to enjoy a freer range of motion while you fought them than other recent Sonic titles have. Getting to rush around the loop bosses, quick step down the raceways in the others, and still play with the powerups felt looser and more fun than just standing still, sometimes jumping, and slowly whittling something down (I'm looking at you, terrible boss fights in Sonic Rush).

qq more

I can't tell what colour Sonic's eyes are in that icon. It needs enhancing.

And if it's borked, I'm probably not going to take a chance with it, then... I'll just start up After the Sequel like I've been meaning to and post some screens of that instead. 4-day weekend, etc.
Definitely play After the Sequel. It's a big improvement over Before the Sequel in level design.

Maybe don't play Sonic the Hedgehog PC.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/08/10/sage-2012-review-slew-4/
So if you’re going to make a Sonic fangame, a word to the wise: make sure your graphics all match. Sonic the Hedgehog PC here is a mixture of hand-drawn graphics, tiles ripped from the Genesis Sonic games, JPEGs of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, and FMV artwork made for Sonic CD. None of it matches whatsoever, and the flat level design doesn’t really help matters very much, either. It also doesn’t really seem to be possible to die at all – every time I get hit, it plays the “ring drop” sound effect, even if I don’t actually have any rings currently. This is obviously somebody’s first game, and it puts Sonic Medley in to stark contrast, because this is what I think of when I hear somebody say, “I have never made a Sonic game before.” I realize that’s kind of a cold thing for me to say, and I don’t really mean to be discouraging, because I’d actually like it if the person who made this game really applied themselves and tried to learn how to make a better game. And let’s be totally honest, here – this isn’t the worst game at SAGE, either, it’s just below average. Chin up and do better – there’s always next year, right?

Veal

So I went back and played Sonic Generations on PC at 30 fps. It seems to me, not many people are giving Sonic Team their props when it comes to their use of motion blur+lighting. While the game is breathtaking at 60 fps, it damn near looks like CG at lower framerates. One of the most beautiful games this gen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom