• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I went back and played Sonic Generations on PC at 30 fps. It seems to me, not many people are giving Sonic Team their props when it comes to their use of motion blur+lighting. While the game is breathtaking at 60 fps, it damn near looks like CG at lower framerates. One of the most beautiful games this gen!
Hedgehog Engine.

Not enough people give credit to any of the Hedgehog Engine games + the lighting + the art design in these games at all and I think it's a huge shame. Unleashed and Generations (especially Unleashed) are two of the prettiest games I've played this gen.

Your review seems too nice, you know. :p

Which one was the worst SAGE game, then?

qq more

Hedgehog Engine.

Not enough people give credit to any of the Hedgehog Engine games + the lighting + the art design in these games at all and I think it's a huge shame. Unleashed and Generations (especially Unleashed) are two of the prettiest games I've played this gen.

I'd say Sonic Run 3 for how effortless it is. But it is so bad it's hilarious so... maybe not.

IMO, maybe Sonic Skywind. It's like you take Dimps' horrible ways of designing levels but multiply that shit by 20 times. Fuck that game. I ragequit on the FIRST level because it is so poorly designed. I'm probably alone in thinking it's the worst SAGE game but it's definitely terrible. Like... worse than Sonic Blast terrible.

EDIT: That reminds me, there was a poll at TSSZ asking for what's the best fangame. Skywind had 21 or so votes. Uhhhhhhhhh

EDIT2: I'm trying the game again to see if I'm just exaggerating. Oh god, why is the controls so stiff and awful?! Why does the physics feel so wrong?! Why did the spring sent me to a spike?! I had no rings! This game feels so... bad. It's pretty glitchy too. I accidentally ran down a tiny wall when that's not suppose to happen. Also hit a boost pad and I ran into a slope then stopped.

EDIT3: Hahahaha, I somehow did a very high jump. I don't think that was suppose to happen. I ended up on a higher route. Lemme just go back to where I pulled off this trick an- *Sonic grinds on a rail to the left, the grind rail has a slope but Sonic somehow falls off and then he runs into a spike then dies* ...Why did that happened :l

EDIT4: THAT SAME SPRING FROM BEFORE SENT ME INTO A SPIKE THEN SONIC FELL OFF THE PLATFORM INTO A LONG BOTTOMLESS DUE TO THE KNOCKBACK! >:l

EDIT5: Welp. Game Over. The rings don't even respawn when you die. So considering the shitastic level design the game has... I just ran into a spike wall and got a game over. Great.

EDIT6: Another attempt and yay another glitch.

whatthehell.PNG

yeah I don't get it either

EDIT7: ... *stares* I died and I'm stuck like this
whatthehell2.png

I give up

Hedgehog Engine.

Sonic Run 3. :p It will always be Sonic Run 3.

qq more

Sonic Run 3 is at least not frustrating. It's just a harmless stupid game that has a very baffling literally backwards development process.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just played Sonic Colors DS again and I can confirm I think it's better than Sonic Rush Adventure. Everything is just a lot faster, and the game is a lot more interesting to me. Plus, the homing attack is implemented so well in this that I no longer run into enemies at the edges like in the Rush games.

qq more

I just tried Skywind again for the 2nd time because I want to beat the first fucking level but I can't because it's so so so so cheap. There is no way this is not the worst SAGE game. Sonic Run 3 doesn't even compare to thi mess of a game. I think this is actually worse than 06. I can't believe it. So frustrating.

Just played Sonic Colors DS again and I can confirm I think it's better than Sonic Rush Adventure. Everything is just a lot faster, and the game is a lot more interesting to me. Plus, the homing attack is implemented so well in this that I no longer run into enemies at the edges like in the Rush games.
Colors DS is definitely good. It's a shame the game seems really short as hell.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic X - Episode 1: Enter the Super Sonic Hero!
AKA hey guys sonic can run really fast and the cops can't catch him isn't it funny lolz
AKA I forgot what the stupid English title was. It was probably something dumb because 4Kids is awful.

This entire episode is spent revolving around the fact that Sonic's the fastest thing ali-i-ive. Eggman-sama's lines could totally be translated into swears if you truly wanted them to be translated that way. I fully expect that fansubbers would do that, actually.

The Japanese music is so much better than the English version's music it isn't even funny. I don't even get why they replaced the music at all unless it's a rights thing. But the English version's music is horribad. You can kinda tell that Ufotable did some of the CG. Shit, they should've just animated the whole thing, imo. I sorta don't like the animation for this in general outside of the stuff for Sonic & friends. But they couldn't have gotten someone else to do it, could they? No. >.>

The Police: "Oh shit, he can jump really well too? Send out the NASCAR dudes!" This dude's name is Sam Speed. He must be fast. Fast enough to catch that dirty little hedgehog! Well, no. Instead, gives Sonic a little talk about how the city's been peaceful and how there aren't a lot of criminals and how you can cook ramen in two minutes. "FROM NOW, THINGS WILL BE FAST". Then the S team are a bunch of assholes but Sonic treats it like a game because he leaves his brain behind because it's too slow for his 'gotta go fast' legs.

Then we get a Sonic Says segment where Sonic stands on a car, but then the guy says, "all the good kids will copy you if you do that!" and then Sonic says, "Kids, don't stand on moving cars! D:" and jumps off. That's a weird place to put a PSA. Plus this isn't the 1990s. Kids don't know what a PSA is.

Now the S Team pretends this is The Fast and the Furious and uses "Special Milk", which is really Nitro and the OP theme plays. Sonic's running backwards! That crazy hedgehog! Sam Speed gets pissed and says that you have to be faster than the speed of sound to beat him. Well... what do you think happens. "A SONIC BOOM?!"

Then a definition for a Sonic Boom appears onscreen. Because science. Was that even in the English version at all? I imagine it wouldn't be because cartoons aren't educational. They're there to sell toys, not science books. We hate those!

Sonic flies over the city after tuning up the windmills because the city's powered by wind electricity. He thinks it's "sorta" prettyyyyyy. KIREIIIIIII~

プ...プール?! (P...puru?!) Sonic sees a pool and gets this weird look on his face. み... ず... (Mi...zu...) OH YEAH SONIC HATES WATER! Isn't it funny?

Then Sonic drowns forever. Because he can't swim and he automatically dies in bodies of water in games that aren't the Genesis games, Colours or Generations. Oh and there's some bullshit with some kid that no one cares about. The kid thinks it's pretty 凄いい~ that he met a dead talking hedgehog.

The ED theme is pretty cool and catchy but too bad the images for it are laaaazy. Sonic got an extra life so he's wearing a Saiyan scanner in the next episode.

Is PSO2 a Hedgehog Engine game? That looks pretty good too
I heard it's a modified version of it? I'm not sure if that's true, though.

I'd say Sonic Run 3 for how effortless it is. But it is so bad it's hilarious so... maybe not.

IMO, maybe Sonic Skywind. It's like you take Dimps' horrible ways of designing levels but multiply that shit by 20 times. Fuck that game. I ragequit on the FIRST level because it is so poorly designed. I'm probably alone in thinking it's the worst SAGE game but it's definitely terrible. Like... worse than Sonic Blast terrible.
But Skywind kinda sorta looked decent. Man it must play bad. Is it the level design or the way Sonic controls/moves? Seems like it's mostly glitchy.

There're no enemies in Sonic Run 3! I think... I can't remember.

Sega1991 said:
Sonic Run 3. :p It will always be Sonic Run 3.
*checks the review*

Oh. Hahaha, you were kinda harsh but you didn't want to be harsh. >.>

qq more

But Skywind kinda sorta looked decent. Man it must play bad. Is it the level design or the way Sonic controls/moves? Seems like it's mostly glitchy.
Both.

The acceleration/deceleration are extremely slow which makes precision platforming very annoying. And the game also has combat moves for Sonic. One is the slide attack from the advance games... (which works out okay) and another is so flying kick that actually does not harm enemies at all. In speaking of, you cannot harm enemies by just simply jumping on them (even when you manage to get Sonic to roll into a ball. Yes, jumping doesn't always make you roll into a ball. WHY?!) You're pretty much forced to use the homing attack, the spindash or the pointless slide move to kill enemies. Awful. Oh by the way, you can't roll into a ball on the ground while running. You can only spindash. Yay >.>

The level design is horrid. Not only are the tiles transparent for absolutely no reason. The level design is basically.. well okay let's take the worst of Dimps' common dickish moves and put them all over the place (and making the traps themselves worse in the process). Yeah. I'm not even exaggerating either. Oh and by the way, the level doesn't reset when you die. You just respawn... and all of the rings/enemies don't reappear. Yes, rings do NOT respawn for whatever reason, which makes the game even more annoying! Imagine dying due to an unfair trap and you respawn at the checkpoint but only to find out there's no rings! So now you have to watch out for poorly placed spikes! Argh!

I heard the guy actually updated his game, but I'm not entirely confident that it'll be much better. It's like Sonic 06 where you have to completely redesign the game to make it good.

EDIT: Oh god I'm playing it again. What's wrong with me? :lol

Also that ramp totally does not send you far at all, no matter the speed. wtf?

I think I'm gonna download the updated version and see if things has improved enough to be actually playable. Because seriously...

Sam motherfudgin' Speed, now there's a blast from the past.
You know i'm pretty sure sonic could jump out that swimming pool, especially if he heads over to the shallow end.

qq more

Okay just tried the updated game.

The improvements are just better controls (faster acceleration and deceleration and the level now resets when you die so rings respawn. Yay! You can now roll too. ...Actually that's only as far as improvements go. So the gameplay is still very awful since NOTHING ELSE WAS FIXED. NOT EVEN THE USELESS MELEE MOVE AND JUMPING ON ENEMIES.

...But it's still awful. A lot of glitches are still present (and I've just found one where the homing attack doesn't hurt the enemy, so I got hurt for no reason). The level design only had a minor change (a wall spike got replaced with a spring... that's it). I managed to get further... well slightly, because there's a lot of bad enemy placement spam. I keep running into them and dying arhdsfjlgjksgksasdkl;gkl;askgl;klkasdh;akaslk;gk;

Yeah, still worse than Sonic Run 3.

I remember really liking Sonic X's soundtrack, and being really pissed off that 4Kids axed it.

Among other things, like reassigning "Chaos Control" to Eggman's base instead of a teleportation technique.

Sciz

Sonic X - Episode 1: Enter the Super Sonic Hero!

I actually really like the first episode. It's almost 100% Sonic being a smartass while doing what he does best. Then the show started introducing the rest of the cast and it went downhill from there.

I remember really liking Sonic X's soundtrack, and being really pissed off that 4Kids axed it.

Having Hironobu Kageyama sing your theme song is always a good sign.

Kokonoe

Banned
Move at the speed of sound, I'm the quickest hedgehog around.

GOT OURSELVES A SITUATION, START GETTING A NEW LOCATION!

Wiiiith out aaaany exxxxplaaanaaatiooooon, NO TIME FOR RELAXATION!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm glad I've never seen more than 20 seconds of Sonic X. >_>
I was mostly poking fun at it in that, but the first episode is relatively decent. If you have to watch it, try to watch it in Japanese.

Sciz said:
I actually really like the first episode. It's almost 100% Sonic being a smartass while doing what he does best. Then the show started introducing the rest of the cast and it went downhill from there.
Pretty much.

I haven't seen the entire series in Japanese so I decided to do it now. They axed about 6 minutes from the original broadcast in the English version to fit in commercials most likely. But they added a bunch of lines/changed a hell of a lot of lines (I mean, it's ridiculous; they changed quite a bit of the script) and changed the tone for some of the characters to make the first episode seem like a good guy vs antagonist thing, when really, the race between Sam Speed and Sonic seemed like something with regards to respect and honour and challenge or something like that.

I never liked 4Kids much, but they really mangled Sonic X here. I suppose they did the exact same thing to the Pokemon anime. They must have destroyed One Piece.

Kokonoe

Banned
4Kids dubs are great, I really like everyone of them I've heard.

Now before you come after me, I'm talking about the voice acting.

I never liked 4Kids much, but they really mangled Sonic X here. I suppose they did the exact same thing to the Pokemon anime. They must have destroyed One Piece.

The only thing I remember from Sonic X was Shadow giving Chris a taste of the back of his hand. POW! With Pokemon, they got new, much worse VAs that made the show unwatchable to me and many others. And One Piece? Oh man, my friends sat me down and told me to get ready for something awesome when it was first localized. Then I heard a rap song about pirates. I was done before it even began. I still refuse to watch it or read the manga. The dub's theme was that bad.

Their Pokemon dub was good though.

I have a suspicion that the Pokemon dub was extremely well managed by 4Kids standards, with plenty of involvement from the Japanese production team, Nintendo or whatever the proto-TPC was, and generally any and all parties interested in keeping the Pokemon machine well oiled and profitable.

Whereas the YGO, One Piece etc dubs were thrown to the dogs.

Kokonoe

Banned
From what I recall, these are the ones I thought were done really well.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's
Pokemon
Sonic X
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Although this isn't a dub)
Ultimate Muscle
Kirby Right Back At Ya!

I prefer all of these to the originals in terms of voice acting and sound.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And One Piece? Oh man, my friends sat me down and told me to get ready for something awesome when it was first localized. Then I heard a rap song about pirates. I was done before it even began. I still refuse to watch it or read the manga. The dub's theme was that bad.
why.

one piece ruined

Speaking of Sonic X...

does anyone know the name of the music that's being played when Sonic is being pulled out of the pool
I ended up reeeeeeaaally liking that piece. It's called 第1話より クリスとの出会い (Meeting Chris), and the ED song is Mi-Ra-I (Future).

4Kids dubs are great, I really like everyone of them I've heard.

Now before you come after me, I'm talking about the voice acting.
Yeah, most of them were good from what I recall. It's been a while, outside of the Sonic games, that I've heard a 4Kids dub, though.

It's just their localizations which are extremely garbage and are very very far off the mark.

qq more

The thing I really hate most about 4kids' dubs is that they recycle the same damn irritating background music for all of their shows. I'm not even an anime fan but Jesus Christ, 4kids.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why do they even feel the need to replace stuff like that anyway?

He's holding the sandwich like he would a rice ball. At least replace it with something ROUND! omfg. Them fighting over a cracker instead of a rice ball... Some of the replacements don't make logical sense.

And the Japanese soundtrack is generally pretty decent anyway, at least for Sonic X it was. Outside of licensing for the OP/ED themes + them being in Japanese, the original music could have stayed. The localized music is so boooorrrrring. :|

Why do they even feel the need to replace stuff like that anyway?

He's holding the sandwich like he would a rice ball. At least replace it with something ROUND! omfg. Them fighting over a cracker instead of a rice ball... Some of the replacements don't make logical sense.
Pull a Pokémon, keep the art, make it a donut.

TheOGB

Banned
Whoever made these kart levels need to be dragged into the streets and smacked with wet noodles

edit - this isn't even the SA2 thread but I don't care

4kids dubs are okay I guess, but screw them

Emitan

Not a fan of One Piece but the edits in that show were hilariously awful.

So bad they got kicked off the show and Funimation had to REDO THE WHOLE SHOW

EDIT: FOR SOME REASON I WANT TO SUFFER THROUGH SONIC HEROES ON A STREAM AND I DON'T KNOW WHY

4Kids' One Piece theme is the most amazing thing ever and I won't hear a word against it. In fact, they should've reused it for everything.

Here's how the story goes, we found out
'bout an Eggman in the real world there's no doubt

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Sonic X - Episode 2: Infiltrate! Area 99
AKA area 51 isn't that hard to break into you guys, not if you're super sonic racing
AKA 4Kids title: Sonic to the Rescue!

First of all: That OP song is really really really catchy. I'm starting to like it a lot in its context; it feels like it fits better than GOTTA GO FAST GOTTA GO FAST GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER FASTERFASTERFASTER. And I'm generally into these kind of OP songs, haha. It's very fun, and I wouldn't expect less from who did it.

As with a lot of anime, the episode begins with the ending scenes from the first episode. I don't think the English version did this because they wanted to cut down on time to sell crap. Chris is really psyched to meet Sonic. "僕... 僕 Chris!!" And then we get the title card and the pan to the front of the mansion. Man now I'm really wishing that Ufotable did all of the animation for this. It looks boring. Why do I talk about Ufotable so much? They apparently did the CG for Sonic X. Here's some other cool stuff Ufotable did: one (Fate/Zero), two (Xillia 1), three (God Eater Burst), four (Black Rock Shooter PSP)! They are awesome, know how to shade well, know good colour palettes, have great scene direction, and the animation's generally great.

Anyway, enough tangents. This is about Sonic. Well, no... instead I'm greeted with someone talking about how it's been raining and filming's been cancelled so they can't get back? I don't know. I'm going to guess it's Chris's mom because she's promising presents. She sounds much nicer and less spoiled/extravagant than the English version. She's even promising to bring cotton candy! BEST MOM. D'aww, Chris is calling her mama and saying that he needs to apologize for burning the house down with the crazy hedgehog breaking two rules: going out after midnight (how old is this kid?) and going into the adult pool! also there's a butler. "You went swimming at that time?! D:" No, it's not that; Chris makes the excuse that there was a cat drowning and he saved it! Hedgehogs aren't cats! Oh you silly child. Awww... that's so cute. He kisses the phone. :3 Also, the mother yammers more in the English version than the Japanese version. The Japanese version is straight and to-the-point.

Sonic's offended that he's being called a cat. Well, he's not Big the Cat, but maybe he could be mistaken for Blaze the Cat because of his and her playstyles? I don't know. Chris is all like, "dude, I couldn't tell her that I was saving a hedgehog cuz hedgehogs are tiny and they poop when they run (well, not that part)!" Chris is still PUMPED that Sonic speaks. Chris also looks a lot like Sora to me. Then Chris gets a call from his Papa because his Mama tattled on him about a cat drowning in the pool. Then he rants and raves about the shitty security. Grampa, Era and Mr. Tanaka are here to take care of Chris so there shouldn't be any worries! Chris's dad sounds a lot like a salaryman. He fits the criteria anyway. Sonic's mouth is just a buncha scribbles at this point because he doesn't know wtf a phone is.

Now it's breakfast time. Sonic wants to know what hedgehogs around here eat so he could eat it. Chris gives him cat food and I think he decided that Sonic's a cat from now on. He's played too much Sonic Rush you guys. Sonic kicks the food away and runs away for some gourmet food just as Chris is suggesting that he eat dry grass. Yup. You know, Sonic's kind of an asshole. Then we see a news report with some scientist guy holding a monkey that's trying to screw around with his glasses. He says that Sonic's a UMA. I don't know. Then he says that Sonic's a machine. Guy can't make up his damn mind!

Then Doc Brown from Back to the Future comes into Chris's house and spouts something about the S team finding a machine. Sonic's kinda like a child in this scene. Almost unlikeable. It's amazing how they're getting the audience to sympathize with the humans rather than the star of the show. Or perhaps my child self would want Sonic to do whatever he wants. and OH SHIT Doc Brown's going to take Sonic to the OR and jam a screwdriver into his belly someone stop him. That's Chris's ojiichan. He's a crackpot.

Then we hear Sayaka Aoki's voice coming from the TV. Chris must be watching either Baccano! or Shuffle! but he's definitely not old enough for either of those!! Oh wait, it's Cream the Rabbit on a billboard and she's going to get arrested. Or something. Somehow Doc Brown's buddy-buddy with the police and finds out that Cream and Cheese were transferred to Area 51. Chris knows that's a military laboratory so maybe the mad scientist from Independence Day works there. We're also talking about biological weaponry. o_O Chris's kooky grandpa decides to drag everyone to Area 99 because he's bored and he's clearly been neglecting his medication. He also gives Sonic a Saiyan scanner. But we all know that everyone's power levels are super-low around here.

This lab must be expensive as crap because they have retina scanners. All the cool ones I've been around need card keys. By the way, the music's been really decent in this episode. I can't remember what the English one sounded like, but I expect it to have music where there isn't any music in the original version, poor music which finishes at an inopportune time, music that is paced poorly, etc. Sonic's pretending he's a speedier version of Solid Snake. Also, wow, some of this experimentation is kind of cruel and seems to go against some sort of ethical guidelines for research here. >.>

Someone fucked with the systems in the lab and even though Cream and Cheese don't shut the hell up, they somehow are able to escape from the testing room. Sonic said shit in English, then 行くぞ! (Ikuzo! Let's go now!"). I... don't really understand why he doesn't just pick Cream and Cheese up and dash away. Sonic uses a laser to take out all of the cameras. Then they're saved by little airplanes. I have to say that some of the animation is straight-up lazy here. Some of the angles are used multiple times in the same scene, a lot of the backgrounds feel boring, and the only thing that looks decent is the animation on Sonic and Cream/Cheese. A lot of the human animation kind of feels like they phoned it home sometimes. One of the staircases falls and Cream's about to die. Well, to be fair, the only thing she did was heal in Sonic Chronicles, but who remembers Sonic Chronicles? Sonic FINALLY does the smart thing and carries her the rest of the way. "BABY, were you afraid?! :D" oh my... i think they're trying to say that sonic has swag or something.

Tails comes outta nowhere and does something decent for once and saves everyone. I think we all know who the real hero is and who the adult out of everyone else is. And he's only 10. Tails's animation is kind of weird. Especially when he talks. Chris's grandpa is being reeeeally weird... Then they realize that if they were sent to the world, the others were too... including Robuttnik! Aw shit! Cut to Eggman. "With Chaos Control, we came to this world! In this world, I'll build my own Eggman Kingdom! I will conquer this other world! Ahuahuahuahua!"

Then the next episode is supposed to have Eggman building a robot to kill things and Amy's in the episode somewhere but no one cares about her.

4Kids' One Piece theme is the most amazing thing ever and I won't hear a word against it. In fact, they should've reused it for everything.

Here's how the story goes, we found out
'bout an Eggman in the real world there's no doubt
Man that would be the bomb, actually i'm currently going through the early arcs funimation style since I haven't actually viewed them out of the 4 kids disaster and i'll tell you right now, i'm missing some of the villain voices (wtf is this Don Krieg guys?!).
One Piece rap is on the same level as like Pumpkin Hill, you know it's bad but deep down you love it.

Sonic X - Episode 2: Infiltrate! Area 99
AKA area 51 isn't that hard to break into you guys, not if you're super sonic racing
AKA 4Kids title: Sonic to the Rescue!

This makes me think how odd Chris' situation actually is, one would assume he exists so the younger viewer has a human character to relate to. But Chris is like some spoiled rich kid so you know, that's a niche demographic of kids, oh boo hoo if his parents are too busy being awesome film stars to actually see him it's not like they dislike him or anything.

Pietepiet

Been playing through SA2 on PS3. I think overall I enjoy the Hero Side a lot more than the Dark Side. Eggman has some okay levels, but I feel the majority of good levels are all on Hero Side.

One of these days I'm going to play the Dark Side before the Hero Side.

I know if you beat the Hero Side first, if gives you a FMV preview of the Dark Side - but beating the Dark Side thereafter gives you a preview of Last Story instead of a preview of Hero Side (considering you've already beaten Hero Side, this makes sense). I want to see if there's a respective preview of Hero Side.

Sciz

Then the next episode is supposed to have Eggman building a robot to kill things and Amy's in the episode somewhere but no one cares about her.

Watching her go berserk on a giant robot with nothing but a hammer is one of the show's only consistently entertaining elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom