• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

aBIbE.png

I always have this picture on hand because jelly donuts are my favourite!
You know, when I first saw this as a kid I always assumed it was just another case of Americans using a different name for food than England (like with chips for example) and that those were what jelly doughnuts were in America.

I figured they were crazy japan doughnuts, the jelly was concealed in the black area which as it turns out is not an edible piece of the food at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I figured they were crazy japan doughnuts, the jelly was concealed in the black area which as it turns out is not an edible piece of the food at all.
These are strawberry doughnuts in Canada. They... kinda look like rice balls only not?

0K6N2.jpg

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Fun fact: Griffith actually had step throat when recording for the Werehog in Unleashed.
That's kinda up there with Sean Schemmel going SSJ4 in the recording booth and then passing out when recording for DBGT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They do taste good, but they're the sorta thing you shouldn't have every day. :lol

Sometimes we get doughnuts with white and blue sprinkles during the hockey season if you're around Toronto and they're playing at home, but there's no hockey season, sooooo...

So what are people's opinions on Sonic CD? I know that a lot of people seem to love it but I could never get into it at all. Hated the design of the levels which seemed all over the place and the time travel thing got boring in a hurry. Still looks great, especially Stardust Speedway (Boo on the Japanese soundtrack though).

Kokonoe

Banned
So what are people's opinions on Sonic CD? I know that a lot of people seem to love it but I could never get into it at all. Hated the design of the levels which seemed all over the place and the time travel thing got boring in a hurry. Still looks great, especially Stardust Speedway (Boo on the Japanese soundtrack though).

A lot of people praise it, but to me it's kinda mediocre compared to Sonic 2 & Sonic 3/Knuckles. Really dislike Wacky Workbench.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic the Fighters? Man, Sega's pulling everything outta their hand of cards.

tiggerkiddo said:
(Boo on the Japanese soundtrack though).
Hey... :|

Edit: Hmmmm, I should just put this right here.

Sonic X - Episode 3: Dr. Eggman's Ambition / Dr. エッグマンの野望 (e-"glottal stop"-gu-ma-n no yabou)
AKA robots are cool but hammers are cooler
AKA No one cares what 4Kids calls this. It's apparently "Missile Wrist Rampage"?

I always love that the OPs are probably the thing that's animated the best. And yet again, the episode starts with the last few scenes from the previous episode for viewers to catch up. I don't like the background animation for anything. It's all so boring and looks like filler. At least put some effort into it.

Eggman shows up and he says that he wants to take the city for himself. C-3PO gives him a deck of cards with a bunch of bots on them to play Magic: The Gathering with. They don't have any colours attached to them, don't seem to have a separation into spells or lands, etc. I think this deck sucks. Eggman thinks so too so he's playing with a slot machine instead. He picks a robot because he won the slot machine game.

We learn that Knuckles and Amy have been living in the sewers with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Knuckles blames Sonic for everything as usual. Amy thinks he's being an asshole because she's #TeamSonic. He abandons her because she said she hated his attitude. She thinks he's stubborn but runs as fast as she can after him.

Meanwhile, Eggman's robot attack hot women playing volleyball at a beach. Robotnik says, "SHOW ME MORE OF EGGMAN-SAMA'S POWER!" Instead of getting their butts into gear, Tails is washing his car and Sonic went for a walk. Because THEY'RE SONIC HEROES. The police decide to handle this by talking to the Robot and saying that they'll fire at the unmanned robot. They're smart. They use flamethrowers on it but doesn't affect robots! Eggman-sama appears and ask who's the one giving the orders around here. He also calls them fools! The head cop says that he's in charge and the robot kills him. That's censored out though. Like, this isn't Fate/Zero or anything (that scene is NOT for the faint of heart, btw; I suppose that it's completely uncut on the blu-ray).

Chris and the others look for Sonic in the very poorly animated park. But Sonic somehow made it to the Himalayas so he could try to find a way to GO FAST. Cut to Knuckles and Amy. Amy's tired and Knuckles isn't letting her sleep. Then she tries to make small talk so he could stop being stubborn. Then he says mamoru a lot. It's like I'm playing Tales of Graces. He wants to protect the Master Emerald. Then they hear the giant robot and resurface just in time to see it trying to get into the bank to withdraw money to buy a snazzy hat.

Buttnik decides to introduce himself to the police. He is Dr. Eggman, the true form of Genius. He hopes they see him right now due to the "Eggman Network", and says as of right now, the entire world belongs to him! Even though he's just rampaging around in one city, but this is Robotnik, so... In response, the police chief says that the robot needs to get out of the way just in case it hits a plane? Yeah, Eggman's just as confused as the rest of us. He demands that the city be handed over to him! To make his point, he makes the robot bash around the cruisers a little. So they surrender the mayor to him.

Chris goes into Tails's plane wearing a football helmet. And the mayor makes the mistake of telling Eggman that he can't have what he wants, so Eggman throws a temper tantrum and makes the robot attack a building. Then Tails flies the Tornado at his head so Eggman tells E-23 to kill the kid and the fox. It hits the propeller but the plane never needed one anyway. Knuckles doesn't wanna help Tails because fuck Tails; who wants to partner up with someone who steals your air bubbles? And NO ONE in the crowd thinks it's weird that an oversized pink hedgehog and an oversized red echidna are in the crowd at all. Also, fool! You don't use elevators in emergencies! Cut to Sonic running along scenic routes until he checks out the TONY Store. They must be having a sale on TONY GameNations. But no, Eggman's on TV so he runs back to steal Eggman's spotlight.

Knuckles makes it upstairs and meets Amy, who has a BIG GIANT HAMMER OH GOD. She tries to hit it in its leg but Robots Don't Care. Knuckles tries to save Amy, and then Robotnik stops him in his tracks. Sonic runs really fast down the street. Chris tosses him a power ring (why did we NEVER discuss power rings before this?!). The robot throws Amy away to fight Sonic. Sonic spindashes up the building and teases the robot. Robotnik calls him a little bastard. Knuckles tells him to attack now and Sonic tricks the robot into breaking its own arm. Then he takes the robot out in one aerial to knockdown hit.

Amy squishes Sonic in her arms. Man, this is weird because Amy's voice actress is Suzu Fujibayashi in Tales of Phantasia FVE/Narikiri Dungeon X/RM2/3 so I keep thinking of that character. Then the SWAT team comes to arrest them. And they fire their guns at Knuckles while's running for the rope ladder from Tails's plane. Like, authentic bullets. But Knuckles doesn't wanna go to Chris's House. He thinks it's a place for dorks and doesn't have grapes and stuff so he drops off. Knuckles you fool you can't fly.

Then the plane flies into the sunset. No joke.

Next Episode: "Chaos Emerald. The Legends say that if you collect all seven of them, you'll rule the world! With that, a robot heads to the city once again. Big trouble! Doctor Eggman is coming with a new mecha to attack!" Also there's some guy with pink glasses. Also Chris tries to attack Eggman head on for some reason by climbing on that thing that Eggman uses to float around in.

Sonic the Fighters? Man, Sega's pulling everything outta their hand of cards.

Hey... :|

Sorry but I hate the vocals on the Japanese soundtrack so much. American version is lovely.

EDIT: And yes, Wacky Workbench can go to hell. I hated that level because of how crazy it is...and how everything can kill you.

Kokonoe

Banned
Whoa wait, someone else who likes the american OST more? tiggerkiddo you are like a slightly different me when it comes to gaming opinions.

qq more

(Boo on the Japanese soundtrack though)

This is honestly the first time I've heard anyone hates the JP OST.

But anyways, I really like the game. But it's one of those YMMV games. Wacky Workbench does indeed suck though. And the time travel was very gimmicky (though I still like it, but it didn't feel like it added enough to the game).

EDIT: On the subject of the OST. I feel that the Japanese OST is better than the American OST but... the American OST has better songs in certain areas. (Palmtree Panic Present, Boss Theme and Game Over comes to mind)

TheOGB

Banned
Different, but I like it. Both soundtracks are great (JP slightly greater).

I was gonna say I wouldn't want that style of gameplay/those kinds of levels to return, but if Unleashed = Sonic 1, Colors = CD and Generations = 2, and I want a sequel to Colors...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least this thread isn't as quick as the Pokemon Community Thread or the AnimeGAF thread from what I can tell. I do think it's gotten faster in the past few weeks, though. I was looking for something the other day and had to comb through pages and pages of posts before I found it.

By the way, I've been thinking of this for a while now since Sonic Adventure 2 HD came out. There was some discussion about it in the SA2HD thread already, but I've noticed that a lot of people want different things from Sonic altogether, including people in this very thread. That's kind of why Sega has a tough time making a game to satisfy everyone.

If they go right back to the Genesis/Mega Drive/SMS/Game Gear formula with 2D platforming + score attacking alone, part of the fanbase who likes the time attacking and / or 3D platforming might feel like something's missing.

Similarly, if they were to go with a full-Adventure style game with 3D platforming, a chance to time-attack / score attack, chao raising, multiple characters, a large scenario, etc, people who are very partial to the hybrid design and/or people who are very partial to the Mega Drive games might feel like they threw a ton of things into a blender and it may or may not have turned out well depending on if they made all of the alternate character modes great. But there are lots of people who love this stuff and want the next Sonic game to be a Sonic Adventure-esque game.

You have some people who like the time attack / racing aspect of the games, so games that allow them to race like the wind to the finish line cater a lot of them so they might like games like Unleashed or Generations or Rush. Then you have some of the fans who really really seem to like Sonic having a deep story, and the Adventure games would suit them well, I guess? And then you have guys who like the hybrid games, and who may or may not lean towards one of these who feel stuck in the middle. I dunno if there are a lot of these.

So... someone in the other thread cleverly brought up the possibility of making an Adventure-style game with three modes: one character having the 2D Classic Sonic esque mode, one character with the adventure-style mode with tricks and time attack/score-attack, and one character with the time attack/racing to the end mode.

It sounds plausible, and it sounds like a very good idea, but I don't know if Sega will ever do that. They seem to like sticking to one primary style for a few games when it comes to Sonic. So what exactly can Sega do to try to bring the fanbase a little closer together for the next Sonic game? They tried with Sonic Generations and I don't know if that necessarily worked or not.

The original games kind of had that appeal for racing or just getting through levels quickly...that existed long before the 3D games...

Anywho...I think Generations did it pretty good...in some parts. Classic Sonic didn't feel exactly like the originals but it was decent. The Modern Sonic parts were good but they could get really confusing at times. At least they cut down on the death pits. I would love for them to get rid of the hub worlds and just follow how Sonic 3 and Knuckles did it with how the levels seem to connect or flow together. Cut out a lot of the little Sonic friends and focus on the original trio (And Amy I suppose). Give Sonic the more speed/platformy levels while Tails and Knuckles get to focus more on exploration and such...

Focus on making Sonic more 2D. It's not just about speed but all the other parts of it as well.

Nert

I've only seen footage of the game, but the level layouts look pretty bad and the bonus stages (while surely impressive for the time) give me headaches. I probably should play it myself soon... hopefully it'll be featured on this winter's Steam sale :D

At least this thread isn't as quick as the Pokemon Community Thread or the AnimeGAF thread from what I can tell. I do think it's gotten faster in the past few weeks, though. I was looking for something the other day and had to comb through pages and pages of posts before I found it.

By the way, I've been thinking of this for a while now since Sonic Adventure 2 HD came out. There was some discussion about it in the SA2HD thread already, but I've noticed that a lot of people want different things from Sonic altogether, including people in this very thread. That's kind of why Sega has a tough time making a game to satisfy everyone.

If they go right back to the Genesis/Mega Drive/SMS/Game Gear formula with 2D platforming + score attacking alone, part of the fanbase who likes the time attacking and / or 3D platforming might feel like something's missing.

Similarly, if they were to go with a full-Adventure style game with 3D platforming, a chance to time-attack / score attack, chao raising, multiple characters, a large scenario, etc, people who are very partial to the hybrid design and/or people who are very partial to the Mega Drive games might feel like they threw a ton of things into a blender and it may or may not have turned out well depending on if they made all of the alternate character modes great. But there are lots of people who love this stuff and want the next Sonic game to be a Sonic Adventure-esque game.

You have some people who like the time attack / racing aspect of the games, so games that allow them to race like the wind to the finish line cater a lot of them so they might like games like Unleashed or Generations or Rush. Then you have some of the fans who really really seem to like Sonic having a deep story, and the Adventure games would suit them well, I guess? And then you have guys who like the hybrid games, and who may or may not lean towards one of these who feel stuck in the middle. I dunno if there are a lot of these.

So... someone in the other thread cleverly brought up the possibility of making an Adventure-style game with three modes: one character having the 2D Classic Sonic esque mode, one character with the adventure-style mode with tricks and time attack/score-attack, and one character with the time attack/racing to the end mode.

It sounds plausible, and it sounds like a very good idea, but I don't know if Sega will ever do that. They seem to like sticking to one primary style for a few games when it comes to Sonic. So what exactly can Sega do to try to bring the fanbase a little closer together for the next Sonic game? They tried with Sonic Generations and I don't know if that necessarily worked or not.

I don't mean to speak in absolutes (I'm not going to say any idea could never work), but I disagree here. I prefer to play games that have a coherent vision behind them and really nail what they set out to do. The hypothetical game you're discussing sounds like something that would put together three incredibly different game types in an effort to please everybody. To make an imperfect comparison, that game sounds like Resident Evil 6 (three campaigns created to try to appeal to everybody) when I would much rather play Resident Evil 4.

The lack of vision and focus clearly plagued the Adventure games, which had people play as all sorts of characters that they probably didn't want to play as. Sonic 2006 has too many problems to list, but certainly one of them was the needless variety (physics puzzles! vehicles! wow!). The werehog was thrown in for variety and to pad out what would otherwise had been a short game, but the nicest thing I've ever heard someone say about those segments was that they "weren't too bad."

Sonic Colors, in contrast, benefited greatly from going in its own direction and keeping things simple. You only play as Sonic going through an interstellar amusement park to save the Wisps and stop Robotnik. You are given one set of mechanics (and a few powerups) to play with while variety comes from the level layouts. Sonic Generations is less consistently good, in my opinion, but it benefits from having a singular purpose (celebrating Sonic's legacy and the games' standout moments) even if it's stretched to accommodate two game styles.

Sega would surely benefit financially if they could get all of the disparate elements of their fan base behind a game, but I don't think it's a creative vision worth pursuing.

Edit: If they wanted to, Sega could benefit from this schism without making bloated or directionless games by splitting off the mainline Sonic games into different styles. The Mario franchise supports great 3D games *and* great 2D games, and I could see a 2D Sonic with the budget and production values of a full priced game selling just fine (they can do better than Sonic 4).

I agree with Mr Nert, the best sonic games are the ones with a single focus, now while the modes suggested in the interesting idea are all very Sonic style modes it's still likely to be a situation spreading themselves too thin, even if you please everybody you'd be pleasing each player base with like a mere 5 stages each most likely (at a guess, 15 stages on the whole lumping all 3 styles together), and such a small number of stages would leave each gameplay style rather basic and unexplored, hell i'd say this is what happened with SA2 anyway, Speed stages are good but City Escape and Radical Highway damn near offer the best example of said style within the game anyway and they're introductory stages!

I mean you wouldn't expect the next mainline 3D Mario to have Mario playing obstacle course style stages like 3D Land, Wario in SM64 style open areas collecting treasure and Luigi doing 2D platforming as an equal split to please everyone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Two recent Kakipi videos (like, posted last week and I didn't notice cuz I'm busy):
Sonic Unleashed Rooftop Run Act2 0.50.39 (the comment is: "Yes, D-speed. Sub 49 is possible")
Sonic Melponterations Demo - Sky Troops Modern Speed Run (w/skills)

(Tutorial on M-speed / D-speed in Unleashed is here).

I don't mean to speak in absolutes (I'm not going to say any idea could never work), but I disagree here. I prefer to play games that have a coherent vision behind them and really nail what they set out to do. The hypothetical game you're discussing sounds like something that would put together three incredibly different game types in an effort to please everybody. To make an imperfect comparison, that game sounds like Resident Evil 6 (three campaigns created to try to appeal to everybody) when I would much rather play Resident Evil 4.

The lack of vision and focus clearly plagued the Adventure games, which had people play as all sorts of characters that they probably didn't want to play as. Sonic 2006 has too many problems to list, but certainly one of them was the needless variety (physics puzzles! vehicles! wow!). The werehog was thrown in for variety and to pad out what would otherwise had been a short game, but the nicest thing I've ever heard someone say about those segments was that they "weren't too bad."

Sonic Colors, in contrast, benefited greatly from going in its own direction and keeping things simple. You only play as Sonic going through an interstellar amusement park to save the Wisps and stop Robotnik. You are given one set of mechanics (and a few powerups) to play with while variety comes from the level layouts. Sonic Generations is less consistently good, in my opinion, but it benefits from having a singular purpose (celebrating Sonic's legacy and the games' standout moments) even if it's stretched to accommodate two game styles.

Sega would surely benefit financially if they could get all of the disparate elements of their fan base behind a game, but I don't think it's a creative vision worth pursuing.

Edit: If they wanted to, Sega could benefit from this schism without making bloated or directionless games by splitting off the mainline Sonic games into different styles. The Mario franchise supports great 3D games *and* great 2D games, and I could see a 2D Sonic with the budget and production values of a full priced game selling just fine (they can do better than Sonic 4).
You've definitely got a point and you made it clear. TBH, this is something I've wanted to bring up since SA2HD came out and since someone posted the separate mode idea in the other thread, I thought it sounded nice on paper. Then we have to remember that this is Sega and Iizuka is in charge. :p (Also, is RE6 really that bad? kayos90 was telling me how bad it was outside of co-op the other day, but it seems nearly universally disliked in terms of game design).

I suppose this is partially why I felt like Colours was the more cohesive experience while Generations felt a little disconnected outside of the narrative being disconnected. But while I felt that way, I noticed that, well, a lot of people on at least GAF seemed to really like Generations while it seemed less cohesive than Colours (and to be fair, some people didn't even play Colours the previous year), because you had separate modes which catered to whatever people wanted (and some people were surprisingly finding that they liked some of the Modern Sonic levels when they went in not wanting to play them).

If there's something I've noticed from my time on GAF it's that everyone looks for something different in Sonic, and that's why a lot of people disagree a lot when it comes to discussing Sonic (well, outside of talking about Sonic's look and attitude, but that doesn't seem to happen much anymore). Developing separate games would be a much better idea, but in terms of finances, I dunno if Sega could even afford to do that anymore.

They went nuts with the portable Rush games + the Storybook games + the mainline games every few years this gen, and if they could do something like that for Sonic from now on, that would be nice. But would they have the teams and money to do that, though...

I mean you wouldn't expect the next mainline 3D Mario to have Mario playing obstacle course style stages like 3D Land, Wario in SM64 style open areas collecting treasure and Luigi doing 2D platforming as an equal split to please everyone.
I don't think there's such a split in the Mario fanbase... is there?

I just really dislike the NSMB soundtracks. :p

I don't think there's such a split in the Mario fanbase... is there?

I just really dislike the NSMB soundtracks. :p

Not really but you do certainly get people who like 64 and Sunshine but don't care for Galaxy and 3D Land. And then there are those that like 2D Mario but not 3D, I guess this example would work a lot better if NSMB wasn't actually a thing, for the sake of my point lets say that 2D here is the only way to get modern 2D Mario without BAH BAH!
While the Sonic playerbase is far more fragmented than most series i'd say that the best plan is to simply push on and make something that works instead of trying to juggle all the fanbases around in one single game.

Point is many long running game series are going to heave people preferring one type of rather similar gameplay in a series over another also from the series, trying to make a game that does everything to please everyone probably isn't a good idea since it likely will just cripple all three of them, lack focus and cohesion. Or you could have something completely new and not attached to an old style of play that turns out much better.

I'll ask this question: would you rather have Sonic Team keep building /expanding upon the Unleashed/Colours/Genereations style of gameplay, or do you want them to try something different with the next title? I actually know a good number of people that disliked Generations becuase they thought it was "Unleashed DLC" and didn't play differently enough from the past two titles.

There's a lot of stuff that they did in Generations that I think can be vastly explored upon in both the Modern and Classic styles, such as adding more alternate routes, larger emphasis on 3D platforming and exploration, and stockable items.

EDIT: I also think the trick system from Colours and Generations would be a cool thing to expand upon, with different tricks you could unlock and learn.

Modern Generations style is ripe for one more refined take, missions like action master show what could be done, if the game were to have a setup like Colours (each world has 2 longer stages, 2 medium ones and 2 short ones) they could tie in some of the better action mission design seen in generations with the shorter stages and drop the missions altogether. Increase the 3D emphasis and refine the controls so Sonic can actually do more precise 3D platforming like in the adventure games but don't throw out the fast sections either.

After Unleashed, Colours, Generations and this potential game i'd say they could try another angle.

Classic Sonic should be given the NSMB treatment or made into the handheld series at least.

Eh, I actually thought that Colours as a whole had too many stages; they felt more like filler than the missions in Generations to me mostly due to how short they were.

Eh, I actually thought that Colours as a whole had too many stages; they felt more like filler than the missions in Generations to me mostly due to how short they were.
Well each to their own I guess.

Those shorter stages usually based themselves around a particular wisp or two so they got the full use out of them across the game, I never really considered it a bad thing.
Then for every decent mission in Generations there were like a bunch of tasks such as knock back notes with Vector, dig for treasure with Knuckles, kill the enemies, collect the rings, they're either awkwardly implemented gameplay mechanics or the leftovers from DKC2/3 bonus room criteria.
Of course you only have to do 9 of them as a requirement but the stench of filler hovers around them strongly.

In both cases the games would be incredibly short on content without them but i'll take some perhaps underdeveloped short stages over random tasks any day of the week, the best missions like the shield ones and action master felt like the equivalent of those colours short stages, I wish there were more like them.

Classic Sonic being mainly a portable game would be...kind of disappointing.
Yet this is kind of how it's been for like the last decade with the 2D games on handhelds until Sonic 4 turned up at least and disappointed us all. I just consider it one of the more likely avenues to get full classic style games aside from download titles.

That's because Sega is dumb! Among other things...why get away from what your franchise did best?

I wouldn't really call Sonic 4 disappointing. It wasn't really memorable, like some of the portable games but it entertained me thoroughly.

Why do enemies have a specific 'evading' state if they rebuff two thirds of your attacks anyway? Why does the game force you to use special attacks but not give you enough PP to facilitate them? Why is the Sonic franchise, where no matter how bad the games got we could say "at least the music's good", home to the one handheld RPG I don't bother with the sound on? How much did the guy who did the chapter title art love his own work that I have to see it every time I save?

Questions from my half-arsed attempt to beat Sonic Chronicles before I pick up Pokemon Black 2 on Friday.

qq more

That's because Sega is dumb! Among other things...why get away from what your franchise did best?

I wouldn't really call Sonic 4 disappointing. It wasn't really memorable, like some of the portable games but it entertained me thoroughly.

I thought Sonic 4 (at least ep 1) was really terrible, even as a game itself. Contains a lot of bad Dimps' signature level design. (Fuck those stupid pits and horrible level gimmicks)

Ep 2 seems okay (but still meh) so far, springs abuse and automated crap aside.

qq more

I'd rather play Rush 1 over Sonic 4 Ep 1. Sonic 4 Ep 1 was such a mess, it has no idea what it wanted to be. It was like OKAY TIME TO BE LIKE THE GENESIS GAMES... oh wait, I wanna be like Sonic Rush for absolutely no reason! And dear god the the last boss fights of the game.. ugh

Sonic Rush was at least sticking to its own style, even though it too had bad level design.

Rush 1 was not very good. I thought most of the levels were bland (I know Episode 1 didn't have original levels but I liked them more) and the game was rife with death pits...Altitude Limit is just awful. It had a style but Rush Adventure did a better job at it. And had more character and better levels overall. So yea, I would play Episode 1 happily over Rush again.

qq more

I wasn't a fan of Rush either. And yes, fuck Altitude Limit. God damn that stupid stage, ugh. It was worse than Sky Canyon from Advance 2.

Why do enemies have a specific 'evading' state if they rebuff two thirds of your attacks anyway? Why does the game force you to use special attacks but not give you enough PP to facilitate them? Why is the Sonic franchise, where no matter how bad the games got we could say "at least the music's good", home to the one handheld RPG I don't bother with the sound on? How much did the guy who did the chapter title art love his own work that I have to see it every time I save?

Questions from my half-arsed attempt to beat Sonic Chronicles before I pick up Pokemon Black 2 on Friday.

All fine questions here Bunny Box but i'm afraid each one is without an acceptable answer.
Why when the game needs you to grind does it make enemies always dodge thus making grinding up a greater chore? why do special moves take so long to perform that each battle becomes a slog? putting aside the music for a second, why are the sound effects so atrocious?
Sonic Chronicles: the brotherhood of many questions.

I'm not sure which episode of Sonic 4 i'm better at stomaching, they're both on similar levels of medicority, I can't help think i'd like them a lot better if Sonic's control didn't feel so wrong since the level design is mostly okayish I guess, except sky fortress act 1, that stage is the biggest pile of suck of the bunch if we take bosses out of the equation. I guess Ep 2 is a fair bit more competent but the Tails roll is damn near game shattering.

Fun not quite Fact: Bosses and Sky Chase Act 1 combined probably take longer than all the other acts across both episodes combined, I haven't tested this but I imagine it's quite likely.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Honestly? It's pretty bad. Awful bosses, terrible level design, terrible visual design (looks like it was designed by someone dropping far too much acid) and the annoying time travel mechanic. The music (US version) is good though, and the bonus stages are ace, but otherwise it's just a bad, boring game that is so inferior to Sonic 1-3&K it's not even funny.

I honestly think Colors is the only game that actually had decent filler acts in general, bar the yellow spring stages.
I'm always a tad surprised at the dislike for the Colours Yellow Spring, maybe people are just still irked that the one in Asteroid Coaster was actually sort of tricky with the one hit kill walls. It only turns up 3 times to my recollection, it's okay, an interesting way to handle forced scrolling stages the first two times at least, nothing special but nothing that was that much of a chore.

I'm talking about the art itself. I've noticed some people (not just in this thread) saying the visuals are pretty bad. I never understood that, it looks fine and really surreal.
Factoring in good and bad futures as well as the past Sonic CD has some really great varied backgrounds.

Sonic CD's a bit of a mess but at least you can groove to good music as you shamble around the madness...
it has great and inventive bosses

Ahhh yea, I have to agree with the visuals being kind of bad. Some of the levels looked really confusing and the colors clashed , like Collision Chaos. Yea they were surreal but not a good surreal...it's like they kind of had a good idea going and then went overboard. I often had to pause the game in certain levels to not go bug eyed. But man were the backgrounds to those special stages something gorgeous.

I'd of loved it if the series maintained more of SCD's surreal, Escher/pop-art/anime vibe aesthetics throughout the series instead of constantly jumping from realism to faux-retro to grimdark back to realism then to faux-Pixar then sort of a blend of the previous styles.

The 'busy' issue with the visuals has far more to do with the bizarre level design than the art itself in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom