• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic CD is great. I mean, yeah, the level design isn't quite as focused as the Genesis titles are, but seeing as I love exploration, they have plenty to offer on that front, so I still like 'em. Graphics are absolutely stellar (no idea how anyone could hate the visual design, it's so on-point on every front). Both soundtracks are great (JP gets the edge, but Nilsen's also has some great tracks - I really like his QQZ Present and WWZ Present, and of course there's SSZ BF). Bosses were incredibly inventive, basically taking some aspect of the core Sonic gameplay and then designing around that (particularly TTZ and QQZ; I love how the air bubbles become a boss mechanic for TTZ, and how just running becomes one for QQZ). Time travel could've probably used some more incentive than merely travelling into the past to break the robot-making machine, though.

So yeah, big fan.

Dunno if this was posted, but I'm getting a big 06 vibe from Ralph's Sonic poster.
Next_sonic_00.png
0jZbT.jpg

Hope the similarities end there. Can't wait for the movie though.

qq more

i really don't like how long sonic's quills are... they look so weird

at least he isn't as slim as a stick anymore though :l

Just wanted to say I finally got my new PC running and Sonic Generations looks amazing running at 60 fps.

Before anyone here can die they must experience this in person.

So guys. Let's say Sega makes a Sonic Adventure 3. Who would you want as characters besides Sonic, Tails and Knuckles?

I wouldn't mind seeing Fang the Sniper make a return. He'd have a pop gun as a weapon, so his gameplay would incorporate some elements of Shadow and Gamma and it could just be upgraded throughout the game, like turned into a hookshot-esque item or given more firepower.

Kokonoe

Banned
I honestly don't mind who gets in as long as it's not Silver.

I think an Adventure 3 would benefit more from not having Shadow in the storyline now that I think about it. I say this because it could go back to a more Sonic Adventure 1 type story if so, and Shadow had enough plot time in the last game so it'd be nice to try something different.

I suppose they would add Blaze, but Blaze kinda has been Shadowish with the portable Sonic games. I think they should possibly add one new character, and just stick with Sonic and perhaps Knuckles. They'll most likely throw in Tails into the mix, but I think he's better suited as a plot device then a gameplay style.

I honestly don't mind who gets in as long as it's not Silver.

Even though Silver is a horrible character, I still think there's potential in playing a platformer with psychokinesis. Compared to everyone, even Blaze, it's a wildly different playstyle that could offer up a lot of variety. In the Sonic world he's basically just Trunks anyway. I'd be willing to give a reboot of his character a try. Too bad he's been forever tainted by debuting in a piece of shit.

Regardless, my dream playable roster is Sonic-Tails-Knuckles only. Maybe Eggman if you played as him on his eggmobile. Working off a concept like this could work.

So guys. Let's say Sega makes a Sonic Adventure 3. Who would you want as characters besides Sonic, Tails and Knuckles?

Sonic
Tails - Race against Sonic like in SA1.
Knuckles - Like Sonic only slightly slower, and with more dudes to punch
Blaze - Like Knuckles, but with flame powers kinda like Shadow's Chaos stuff in 06
Shadow - Like he was in 06, but without the vehicle guff

No shooting or hunting or whatever, just variations on running and jumping to the end of the stage.

qq more

Sonic - Pretty much like he always has been.
Tails - Maybe take advantage of his flight abilities. IDK, I'd prefer him to have the same goal as Sonic, but with levels designed around his abilities.
Knuckles - Like Sonic but with levels designed around his abilities too. Add some beat em up elements but don't overdo it (and don't make the levels last 50 years like the Werehog levels)
Robotnik - Take the shooting stages from SA2 but make them faster and not as heavy... like E-102.
Shadow, Rouge, Silver, etc (except for Blaze and Omega) - Play dead in a ditch.
Oh and have Metal Sonic be an unlockable like in SA1, including giving him Sonic's stages but make them harder (WITHOUT BEING LAZY LIKE YOU DIMP ASSHATS DID IN SONIC 4 EPISODE METAL)

o and fuk emerald hunting

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I wouldn't mind seeing Fang the Sniper make a return. He'd have a pop gun as a weapon, so his gameplay would incorporate some elements of Shadow and Gamma and it could just be upgraded throughout the game, like turned into a hookshot-esque item or given more firepower.

Robotnik. Hell, for that matter I wouldn't complain if the only characters were Sonic and Robotnik. If you're specifically referring to playable characters only, then no one besides Sonic.

Nert

Sonic
Tails - Race against Sonic like in SA1.
Knuckles - Like Sonic only slightly slower, and with more dudes to punch
Blaze - Like Knuckles, but with flame powers kinda like Shadow's Chaos stuff in 06
Shadow - Like he was in 06, but without the vehicle guff

No shooting or hunting or whatever, just variations on running and jumping to the end of the stage.

Sonic - Pretty much like he always has been.
Tails - Maybe take advantage of his flight abilities. IDK, I'd prefer him to have the same goal as Sonic, but with levels designed around his abilities.
Knuckles - Like Sonic but with levels designed around his abilities too. Add some beat em up elements but don't overdo it (and don't make the levels last 50 years like the Werehog levels)
Robotnik - Take the shooting stages from SA2 but make them faster and not as heavy... like E-102.
Shadow, Rouge, Silver, etc (except for Blaze and Omega) - Play dead in a ditch.
Oh and have Metal Sonic be an unlockable like in SA1, including giving him Sonic's stages but make them harder (WITHOUT BEING LAZY LIKE YOU DIMP ASSHATS DID IN SONIC 4 EPISODE METAL)

o and fuk emerald hunting

It was funny reading these posts because I can tell that you want a spiritual successor to Sonic and Knuckles (where the characters play similarly, and even go through similar/the same levels, yet they also have unique abilities that lead to branching paths) far more than a game that's like the Sonic Adventure games. Out of all the ways that different characters could bring variety to a Sonic game, that's the one that resonates the most with me as well. Once Sega goes beyond that and feels the need to add in mech shooting or emerald hunting or extreme off road trucks or whatever... I will likely completely avoid it.

Unless they somehow manage to create and include the world's finest extreme off road trucking subsystems. Then I'm back in, I guess.

qq more

I actually didn't mind the Emerald Hunting in SA1, and I didn't mind the shooting in both games (except for Tails' poorly designed stages).. but I feel that alt gameplays are kind of unnecessary. I'm okay with Robotnik having alt gameplay though because it's really hard to imagine him playing like everyone else.

But yeah, I guess I'm basically saying I don't want a SA3. The Adventure games were responsible for introducing problems that plagued the franchise for a good while. So I'd rather they don't bring them back.

EDIT: Also, I was thinking everyone gets their own stages instead of sharing.

Tankshell

Did the guys who were porting the Sonic Unleashed daytime stages into Generations every get any further with it... always did like Unleashed...

He can have speed stages, that guy runs fast.
Yev1q.gif

I've always kind of wanted to see a game that was intelligently built around Tails and his various abilities. Lots of verticality, but with platforms out of reach of his flight ability, meaning there would be some basic platforming built in as well. Tails Adventures in 3D, basically. I'm wondering how feasible that would actually be; flight as it was in Sonic Adventure is incredibly game-breaking in how high and far you can end up going, and imposing Tails Adventures-like limits on it will only go yea so far in addressing this.

BHZ Mayor

No one. Just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as separate stories. And no shitty mechs for Tails.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic Adventure wouldn't be Sonic Adventure without alternate gameplay styles. I don't mind similar playstyles in 2D, but in 3D I want more variation.

Nope, not really; characters such as Blaze and Shadow being hidden unlockable would be interesting, but story-wise, nope.

No one. Just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as separate stories. And no shitty mechs for Tails.

...ah, I forgot about the seperate stories in the Adventure games; don't know why but I'd highly doubt them coming back in an SA3.

While I hate 3D Sonic, if they were to make a Sonic Adventure 3, make it more like Sonic Adventure 1. In theory varied playstyles are nice but I hate Knuckles being reduced to a pretty shovel and Tails' mech action is not very fun either. If you have to stick him in a machine, make it a plane. That has the potential to be more interesting. Sonic's stages are usually good, just less sideways half pipes and death pits. Knuckles' stages could be variations of Sonic's but less emphasis on the speed and more platforming...and...

Okay yea it's a horrible suggestion.

That's actually the real version, it's from Unleashed.

Oh...well...shame about that Werehog or I might bother with the game.

qq more

Sonic Adventure wouldn't be Sonic Adventure without alternate gameplay styles. I don't mind similar playstyles in 2D, but in 3D I want more variation.

It's why I don't want an Adventure 3. I can't trust SEGA with alt gameplays anymore. They only got it half right the first time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's why I don't want an Adventure 3. I can't trust SEGA with alt gameplays anymore. They only got it half right the first time.
Same. And the things that they got mostly right was improved on in later installments post-Sonic 2006.

Unless Tails controls like the Saturn version of NiGHTS, then I don't want to see another Tails mode where he throws fake rings at enemies so he could get real rings. More like Tails Adventures but way improved upon. And I feel the same way about Knuckles that you do.

And for some fangames, whenever they put Shadow in as a playable character, I've noticed that he generally plays like Sonic, but maybe he might have some melee attacks that he doesn't need.

Nert said:
It was funny reading these posts because I can tell that you want a spiritual successor to Sonic and Knuckles (where the characters play similarly, and even go through similar/the same levels, yet they also have unique abilities that lead to branching paths) far more than a game that's like the Sonic Adventure games.
What's funnier is that if Sega were to actually do this, some reviewers and some players would complain and ask, "What's the point of extra characters when they all play similarly? A step back from Sonic Adventure! Why are they all using the same map but different paths? Sega's being lazy!"

"Where is my deep, thought-provoking story in my Sonic game? I want to feel deep emotional baggage when I play a Sonic game."

You mean the Sonic Team from 10 years ago? And more recently, 6 years ago? Despite the whole new team they have transitioned into who have proven twice in the last four years they have their shit together, quality wise? We need to remember that just because they might return to a previous style of play, doesn't mean they're going to digress to a previous measure of quality and re-hire the 06 team. I think they've earned more than a little trust by now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They've earned my trust with Sonic's gameplay at the very least, because they've spent a lot of time focusing on him and the way he plays in the last three games. I sometimes wonder why they didn't give players a Tails mode in Colours, but perhaps they were trying to get used to the new system they've got Sonic on.

I'm still a little unsure about Sonic Team handling other characters because I haven't been satisfied in the past. You can't really fault anyone for feeling a little leery. And to be honest, if they were to handle other characters' gameplay, I'd only want three characters to be included: the original three of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I think those characters enough.

Rouge is rather superfluous because she does what Knuckles does and he does it better (and Rouge was never a good character in the first place). Robotnik would be a decent addition if we were to play a mode based on the villain's perspective. Shadow... eh... it depends on what they do with him. If they give him guns and cars and all that nonsense, then no thanks. If he plays similarly to Sonic with, well, I'm not sure what differences they could give him, outside of Chaos Control or melee attacks, then that wouldn't be bad (except he'd play like Knuckles). Maybe Amy, but she'd mostly go by the Advance system in that she's like Sonic but has a hammer.

Dimps didn't do a bad job with Blaze...

You mean the Sonic Team from 10 years ago? And more recently, 6 years ago? Despite the whole new team they have transitioned into who have proven twice in the last four years they have their shit together, quality wise? We need to remember that just because they might return to a previous style of play, doesn't mean they're going to digress to a previous measure of quality and re-hire the 06 team. I think they've earned more than a little trust by now.

I trust the current Sonic Team, but I think the fact that they've been able to be focused on refining a single gameplay style (wel, plus Werehog and Classic) is a pretty big contributing factor to their success. It's easier to get things right when you're making one game instead of trying to cram six into one.

Fuck Sonic CD outside its two amazing, amazing soundtracks, and that's all I gotta say about that confusing convoluted mess of a Sonic game.

Kokonoe

Banned
In the end, SEGA will pick one style of gameplay, whether it is Modern, Adventure, or anything else, there will always be one fanbase to either side that will be disappointed it's not the style they wish for, or excited because they are getting what they want.

There are people who like Modern Sonic, but don't like Adventure Sonic or that much. Then you have people who like Adventure Sonic more, but think Modern Sonic is just mindless boost to win.

Of course there are people out there that like both like me, but they won't be able to please everyone and it's not really their purpose to do so.

Just focus on one and make it good. Generations was a fun throwback, but I don't want these half and half of a good game, because it's less than the sum of it's parts

I played Advance 2 extensively and Sonic was more off screen on Sonic 2 due to blast processing...so there!

Advance 2 wasn't great but it had its moments and I enjoyed most of the music. Music Plant is probably the best level from the Advance series...only Toy Kingdom and perhaps Chaos Angel come close. And that one Techno level from Advance 3. I thought Advance 1 was too dry and boring but Spy Base was a great level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom