• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't say I can't believe it, but still surprised partially that Dimps went back to deathpits with Sonic Generations 3DS.

I never played Sonic Generations 3DS (I bought it but realized I didn't want to be bothered so I got rid of it) but whenever I do, I'll have to check it out.

Deathpits are inexcusable but I've gotten a lot better at avoiding them...or just realized that if you have make some jumps to a platform or what not, everything usually lines up the first time as opposed to just waiting. And yes that doesn't make sense so I'll have to explain it another time. I think they should bring back the spikes from Sonic 1 instead of deathpits.

qq more

The Dreamcast era stages in Gen 3DS were so horrible. Especially Radical Highway, what a piece of shit that was. (And why did they pick such a lame stage with one of the lamest songs to begin with?)

Strangely only Sky Canyon annoyed me with the death pits...I thought Advance 3 was worse about it...and I liked 3 more so...eh.

Advance 2 levels were really bland half of the times. Leaf Forest was as bland as a Green Hill type of level could be and Hot Crator... there was no special gimmicks and no fire hazards, it didn't even try taking advantage of it's trope (except for the fire enemy? Did that exist?). It's like you can just swap the tiles between both stages and call it a day. That's how bland they were!

qq more

Nothing is overrated or underrated, just opinions!

But anyways, they ruined the best part of the Radical Highway song in Generations 3DS. They changed the defacto part that everyone remembers.

http://youtu.be/68WOBoyRLwM?t=10s

The song is okay, it feels kind of repetitive but I agree that they totally fucked up the song in the 3DS game. So awful, especially Act 2 with its farts. What the hell was that, SEGA?!

TheOGB

Banned
Radical Highway did feel a lot less cool than it used to. Best version of the song was in Shadow the Hedgehog, too.

That version of Rooftop Run looks even more fun than the real version. It's a shame my computer can't run Generations but oh well.
That's actually the real version, it's from Unleashed.
and it's so beautiful

So guys. Let's say Sega makes a Sonic Adventure 3. Who would you want as characters besides Sonic, Tails and Knuckles?

I wouldn't mind seeing Fang the Sniper make a return. He'd have a pop gun as a weapon, so his gameplay would incorporate some elements of Shadow and Gamma and it could just be upgraded throughout the game, like turned into a hookshot-esque item or given more firepower.
Fuck Tails, I don't care if he's not in his shitty mech anymore. Keep Cream, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Omochao and Omega far away from this game.

Sonic going Uncolorations style, Knuckles going SA1 Sonic style. Eggman strikes, the two butt heads over how to take him down. Tails is torn between the two and their idiotic bickering so he sticks to tech support, making your upgrades. Stories are separate.

Sonic & Knuckles 2
check in the mail Sega, etc.

Advance 2 levels were really bland half of the times. Leaf Forest was as bland as a Green Hill type of level could be and Hot Crator... there was no special gimmicks and no fire hazards, it didn't even try taking advantage of it's trope (except for the fire enemy? Did that exist?). It's like you can just swap the tiles between both stages and call it a day. That's how bland they were!

Yeah, Advance 2 (Well, the Advance games in general) had generally unmemorable level themes.

Music Plant was pretty inspired, though. Still falls victim to the usual Dimps nonsense, but it's probably the most creative thing (aesthetically, anyway) to come out of their time with the series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic going Uncolorations style, Knuckles going SA1 Sonic style. Eggman strikes, the two butt heads over how to take him down. Tails is torn between the two and their idiotic bickering so he sticks to tech support, making your upgrades. Stories are separate.
Damn, why didn't I think of this name? Sounds a lot better than Hybridization. Hybridization sounds like a word I took from the lab.

It's so weird how Shadow ended up taking Knuckles's original role so easily. Before, it was Knuckles and Sonic being friendly rivals, with friendly being a rather loose term. Now it's Shadow based on his representation in SA2 alone (which, admittedly, was much better than the sequels which included his character). Now Knuckles is the guy who guards the shiny rock and bickers with Rouge over shinies.

Basically Knuckles is a smarter Fighter, but he's so gullible at the same time. And he was Sinbad once.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Knuckles doesn't chuckle.

(Knuckles was my favourite Sonic character when I was little and I totally wanted a Knuckles platformer game starring only Knuckles.)

Kokonoe

Banned
For me it went

1994-1999
Sonic, Knuckles, & Mecha Sonic were my favorites.
Chaos and Gamma were added to my favorites.
Shadow became my second favorite character.
Neo Metal Sonic became one of my favorites.
I realized that Neo Metal Sonic was my favorite character.
2005-Now
I decided I liked Chaos as my fifth favorite.

Knuckles was my fave, and topped out at the Sonic AMV when he had a godlike fedora for no fuckin' reason except it was awesome, and then got progressively lamer being stupid as hell in Sonic Adventure, and those tedious emerald shard hunts, and basically just being irrelevant Sonic bottom bitch for the past decade. He's lost all his edge; that characterization has been consumed in the black hole that is Shadow the Hedgehog.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Universe to look out for: um... what

SonicUniverse50Cover-noscale.jpg

OMG Aero

I think most people prefer 3, at least from what I've seen. 2 is almost universal in dislike.
Really? I thought 3 was the most disliked one. The partner mechanics were pretty dumb, the games tries to combine the gotta go fast style of Advance 2 with the slower style of Advance 1 and doesn't really succeed, and it has the absolute worst method of accessing the special stages in the Advance series (and considering the other Advance games that is really fucking bad).

I always thought the most liked Advance game was 1 for being the closest to the Mega Drive games, with some people preferring 2 for its faster score attack style levels.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, whenever I bring up the Advance games on other forums people rarely talk about the first Advance, or say they prefer the Advance 3.

I don't really care for the later Advance games, I prefer Advance 1 because as you said, it's the closest to the classic titles and is essentially Neo Classic Sonic. With Advance 2, they completely changed the game and it just felt weird to play. I'd honestly like a spiritual sequel to the first Advance game myself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Advance 3 is the one that's generally not liked around here.

Shadow became my second favorite character.
Neo Metal Sonic became one of my favorites.
I realized that Neo Metal Sonic was my favorite character.
is that so...

1216732-alicia_annoyeqeoo9.png

I'm just pulling your leg

why

Flynn, you don't have to do this. You don't have to do this.

qq more

Really? I thought 3 was the most disliked one. The partner mechanics were pretty dumb, the games tries to combine the gotta go fast style of Advance 2 with the slower style of Advance 1 and doesn't really succeed, and it has the absolute worst method of accessing the special stages in the Advance series (and considering the other Advance games that is really fucking bad).

Are you kidding me?! Advance 2 was absolutely way worse, there is no way you can say 3 had a worse method. That's crazy talk. Advance 2's method was identical to 3's but it is much more painful.

Sciz

what in the blue hell

I mean, okay, the name of the series is Sonic Universe, but they don't have to take it so literally. What a weird way to mark the 50th issue.

Must be happening because the series was airing on Disney XD or some such lately, but it's still baffling that anyone made the call to do a tie-in.

No offense but Sonic Advance 2 has always felt like a prototype for Rush with the boost accidentally left out, making it play like crap. The latter may be flawed, but it was fun enough for time trialing and its sountrack, along with being a lighthearted, inoffensive game for the context it was released in (inbetween Shadow and Sonic '06).

qq more

Plus Advance 2 had a lot of poorly designed levels. Hey, Dimps, just because Egg Utopia is the last regular stage does not mean you should act like a bunch of jackasses and place spikes in unexpected places. :l

OMG Aero

Are you kidding me?! Advance 2 was absolutely way worse, there is no way you can say 3 had a worse method. That's crazy talk. Advance 2's method was identical to 3's but it is much more painful.
In Sonic Advance 2 you have to find 7 special rings in an act to access the special stage.
In Sonic Advance 3 you have to find ten Chao hidden throughout the three acts of a zone and its hub world, some Chao can only be obtained by certain teams so you might have to do the same act multiple times to get all the Chao. When you have all the Chao, a key will appear in a random location in an act and you have to play the act again to find the key. The key grants you one attempt of the Special Stage and if you fail to complete the Special Stage the key appears in a new location and you have to find it again to have another attempt.

I stand by my opinion that Advance 3's method of getting to the Special Stage is worse than 2's.

qq more

In Sonic Advance 2 you have to find 7 special rings in an act to access the special stage.
In Sonic Advance 3 you have to find ten Chao hidden throughout the three acts of a zone and its hub world, some Chao can only be obtained by certain teams so you might have to do the same act multiple times to get all the Chao. When you have all the Chao, a key will appear in a random location in an act and you have to play the act again to find the key. The key grants you one attempt of the Special Stage and if you fail to complete the Special Stage the key appears in a new location and you have to find it again to have another attempt.

I stand by my opinion that Advance 3's method of getting to the Special Stage is worse than 2's.
You can collect multiple keys in Advance 3 though. It's still lame though.

BUT in Advance 2, if you miss a special ring and cannot get back to where it's located, you're screwed, have to reset the level (it's even more frustrating when you're Sonic so you can't just fly/glide/climb your way back). And even if you managed to get all of the special rings, you don't keep them forever... so good luck recollecting them when you fail the special stage. Oh and you have to do this actually 28 TIMES to unlock everything. In contrast to Advance 3, you actually keep all the Chao you've found and everyone shares the same emeralds.

Kokonoe

Banned
Apart from the fact that the Sage/Wizard guy could have killed Dr. Robotnik at the beginning and has the power to at any given time?

It's essentially just another generic prophecy story, mixed with another part where the hedgehogs try to find their long lost mother who gave them away so they could be safe and fulfill their destiny, and save the world. Their weapons are music.

OMG Aero

You can collect multiple keys in Advance 3 though. It's still lame though.

BUT in Advance 2, if you miss a special ring and cannot get back to where it's located, you're screwed, have to reset the level (it's even more frustrating when you're Sonic so you can't just fly/glide/climb your way back). And even if you managed to get all of the special rings, you don't keep them forever... so good luck recollecting them when you fail the special stage. Oh and you have to do this actually 28 TIMES to unlock everything. In contrast to Advance 3, you actually keep all the Chao you've found and everyone shares the same emeralds.
You also have to restart if you miss or die when looking for a key. They both have the problem of having to re-collect things if you miss them or fail the special stage. While in Advance 3 you only have to collect one thing and can grind them if you want you still have to do a bigger collection quest first to unlock this and the key is in random places so you have to hunt it down every time. In Advance 2, even though you have to collect seven rings whenever you want to retry they are always in the same place so once you've found them a first time you know what to do.

And I'm only talking about getting to the special stage, not unlocking the true ending because, yeah, doing all the special stages with all characters is bullshit.

qq more

But weren't keys really easy to find? I remember having like 5 at some point and I wasn't even trying... Then again, it's been yeaaarrrs since I last played Advance 3, so maybe I'm wrong about that part, either that or I was just lucky.

The song is okay, it feels kind of repetitive but I agree that they totally fucked up the song in the 3DS game. So awful, especially Act 2 with its farts. What the hell was that, SEGA?!

I'm late to this but Radical Highway music is pretty bland, like most of Shadow's themes for that matter, the stage in SA2 is solid enough but the music has always felt pretty drab to me.
Classic version in Generations is pretty decent though, modern on the other hand...

ShadiWulf

S0L recently commented saying there was a character that says Damn thanks to Sonic Team, and that's why the rating is E10+, and now it looks like we got ESRB confirmation

Rating summary: This is a racing game in which players compete with Sonic the Hedgehog and other characters from the SEGA universe. As players speed through each themed track, they can bump into other vehicles and use various power-ups (e.g., firecrackers, cyclones, puffer fish, snowballs, bee swarms) to impede opponents' progress; some projectiles result in colorful explosions, and vehicles often spin out or flip into the air when hit. In one battleship-themed level, realistic explosions can be seen in the background; another racetrack contains giant spider hazards that emit splashes of green liquid when struck. One character says “damn” during gameplay.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsi...tle=Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed™

It's gotta be Shadow! no other Sonic character says Damn.

Iizuka-san making sure that Shadow is portrayed right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom