• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links, please. I am eager to know these things.

What would be amazing is if the character design is horrendous but the game actually plays well.
You already know of one such game, and it kind of falls exactly under that description. (I don't think the character design is horrendous, but it definitely plays well.)

We'll show those fan games with our very own Neo the Gaffer game, music is styled after Chronicles.
Is that what Dudebro: My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got To Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time has come to?

In this case an orange and grey cookie cutter hedgehog, with biting snark of course.
Wouldn't be the first time people've anthropomorphized the NeoGAF logo. Lookin' at you, Belle Eve.

Tizoc

Just read Sonic 241
GEOFFERY, NOOOOOO! ...and I'd really like to see/read about the destruction of Albion

Seeing as the Megaman crossover is next year, I believe this'll be the upcoming stories until then:
Sonic Universe: Chatoix arc and MAYBE one more story arc
Megaman: One more issue to wrap up Protoman/Blues' origin/backstory, and then 6-8 issues to deal with Megaman 3 story arc.

Speaking of Sonic comics, I need to pick up the third Knuckles Archive. Still sucks his book got canceled. I always collected them while my younger brother went for Sonic.

qq more

Jesus fucking Christ those stupid wall of text complaints about your review. The worst part is that they don't know what the hell they're talking about. One guy claims you aren't "forced to play this and that" in SA2. What? They fucking make you play as Sonic's shitty friends before you can even get back to him.

God I hate SA2 fanboys.

Emitan

Reposting here because I don't know what drugs this person is on:

I don’t like complaints like: “You are forced to play this and that. The story forces me to play etc.”
The game does not force you to play it. In Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, I felt I was forced to play Sonic. Sonic games developed a bad habit of having favorite and hated characters. Isn’t that a bit boring to play only a only Sonic, over and over again? While it is true, that the play-style is different and sometimes not very enjoyable, it is not an easy task to discover that in the development of the game.
The worst thing that could happen (and eventually it did) is fear. The fear of not meeting the players expectations. The easiest solution while facing the fear is to run away. And that in this metaphor means not trying anything new and practically stick only with Sonic jumping on enemies the whole level – forever.
If you think that the story is so laughable, that you can’t write the word story without quotes, you have probably never played any other Sonic game before. The story was much more complex and believable than ever before, and ever after. Also has many qualities which keeps you playing. It is one of the very good reasons why it was and why it is still praised.
How come that nothing was improved since Sonic Adventure and still, SA2 is better reviewed? Maybe only the better story is the reason. That confuses me a lot. I don’t know why SEGA, instead of improving technical issues and keeping the good things decided to no longer consider the story important enough to give some serious effort into it. Or what happened was the real opposite. They thought, that the story is what is now interesting. However, they overestimated themselves, not believing they could screw it up next time. The story continued (well, kind of), but the technical and design issues lasted, in the hopes, they would be overshadowed.
It is probably since the Japanese people are a little bit different in evaluating the game qualities. They don’t consider technical difficulties and logic accuracy that big of a issue. If the characters legs look like they are sliding on the ground instead of running, it is a big issue overseas. But in Japan, if they are told that this representation is supposed to mean that the character runs, they accept it like that. Another example – some (I don’t know which) video-game character was supposed to be Japanese in origin, but he had green eyes. While oversees fans were making a big issue out of this and started serious flame topics about it, Japanese gamers never understood it – the game developers say, that he is Japanese, so he is, regardless what his eyes look like.
So while certain issues are very superficial, other can be still very annoying as they affect the gameplay. Especially for American gamers, who are known to be really aggressive and tend to be very loud. They always need to get what they want. If they do not get that, they will throw they console out and sue the game company for breaking their window (it is a slight exaggeration, but that’s literally what I have been told on the course for video-game programmers and designers).

In Sonic 2006, you're forced to play Sonic 2006. THAT'S the main problem.

edit: Holy shit, that whole review. My Composition professor would have a fit reading that shit.

If you think that the story is so laughable, that you can’t write the word story without quotes, you have probably never played any other Sonic game before. The story was much more complex and believable than ever before, and ever after

What does more believable even mean? Did people refuse to accept "Robotnik kidnapped animals making them into robots, Sonic frees them and whoops his ass" as a story and I missed that reaction? How was that unbelievable, but all that shit about Chaos Control with fake emeralds and the ultimate weapon is a giant space lizard and ancient robotic ghosts and all that shit was completely plausible!?

Sciz

I thought the '06 fans were the pinnacle of how crazy people could be with regards to this series, but the staunch SA2 defenders are starting to sound awfully similar.

SA2 is believable because its got a more mature plot with REAL stakes at hand and takes place in a representation of the real world that just so happens to have walking, talking animals, I can see myself there driving down the twisting Route 280 into alternative reality San Francisco.

OMG Aero

I thought the '06 fans were the pinnacle of how crazy people could be with regards to this series, but the staunch SA2 defenders are starting to sound awfully similar.
The difference between Sonic 2006 and Sonic Adventure 2 is that there are a hell of a lot more people that had Sonic Adventure 2 as the first ever Sonic game the played.
You will never be able to get through to people who had it as their first.

Pietepiet

The difference between Sonic 2006 and Sonic Adventure 2 is that there are a hell of a lot more people that had Sonic Adventure 2 as the first ever Sonic game the played.
You will never be able to get through to people who had it as their first.

Pretty much. I mean, there's people who have no idea SA2 was even a Dreamcast game to begin with. To them it's a GameCube launch title.

The best part about my SA2 review and the people leaving in depth discussions about "omg reviewing ports 11 years later is weird and dumb" is that none of the opinions I share are new ones. Even though I wrote my SA1 HD review from the perspective of "going back to an old game past its time", my SA2 HD review is largely made up of the same opinions I've had since 2001.

I actually archived an old SA2 review I wrote on my (currently very ugly) personal site - indeed, to my memory, the first review I ever wrote for anything.

http://blaze.letsvideogame.com/old-sonadvent2.php

I say a lot of the same stuff then as I did just now. Just... more stilted and awkward.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'm home and I'm starting to go over some of these and... oh my lawd, these comments.

Blaze ur not a truuuuuuuuuuu sonic fan

u havn't even played a sonic game b4

stop reveiwing sonic cuz u dun liek sonic

Can I have whatever some of these guys are taking because this is hilarious.

You cannot take idiocy, at least I don't think so.
Hang on, if not liking the game means you're not a truuuuuuuuuuu true Sonic fan does that make some of us fakers?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even the Retro review...

The only really bad games are the storybook series and 06, (which if you take out the loading screens and ignore some of the bugs it really isnt that bad, but wait, BANDWAGONS) and the numerous spinoffs really cant be taken as seriously as a main series title. Honestly if so much nitpicking hadnt accumulated over the years by group thinking on video game forums, this review would be drastically different.
That last bit is complete nonsense. People crapped on Sonic for years yet seemed to legit enjoy the recent games and review them well. It was a review for those who didn't play the game before, so you can't really look at the game as a Sonic fan when taking that into account.

Forget about the first bit about Sonic 2006.

HEY LETS CHECK OUT SOME JAPANESE REVIEWS OF SONIC GAMES

SA2 HD doesn't have reviews yet: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=1016

Sonic Unleashed: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=421 (6 reviews)
-clearly taking issue with Werehog portions
-enemy balancing issues
-"There is no Knuckles"
-medals was a negative
-loading times were a negative
-they seemed to like boost

Sonic Generations: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=880 (6 reviews)
-bland story
-load times
-no Fang or Mighty!! WHERE WERE THEY
-short
-unsatisfactory physics in the 2D portion

Sonic 2006: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=246 (13 reviews)
-lacks originality; seems to be a worse version of Sonic Adventure
-Sonic sucks to control; very finicky
-REDO REDO REDO REDO GAME OVER
-Mach Speed Sections are horrible
-Aha, I liked this one: ミッション受諾→ロード→ミッション説明(1行程度)→ロード(20秒くらい?)→ミッション実施→ロード(20秒くらい?)→ミッションのお礼の言葉→ロード(20秒くらい?)→通常マップへミッションの内容によってはロードしている時間のほうが長いくらい (say a line, load, mission, load (20 seconds), mission to normal map, load / description/accept mission, load, mission)
-Graphics were shit; it reminds me of GameCube
-the princess is not cute
-bad camera work
-when using Knuckles/Rouge, it's buggy in that they keep sticking to the wall and won't come off
-this is the worst game
-Silver is slow
-This game is buggy
-No Chao Garden
-Doesn't feel like a Next Gen game
-Hard to move with analog stick; doing small manoeuvres is very difficult
-no exhilarating stages
-the last story didn't have much development
-when standing on a roof, the camera becomes extremely finicky and jumps from left to right constantly

There's a Sonic Heroes PS2 review somewhere around here...

boy oh boy the japanese don't care about gameplay no sir

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who went into Generations anticipating a good story though?
I sorta did given that they made a big deal outta the fact that the people who wrote Colours wrote Generations. But that was more along the lines of better dialogue.

Oh, here's the Sonic Colours mk2 page: http://wiimk2.net/title.php?title=792 (11 reviews)
Reviews were unsurprisingly extremely favourable.
- recycled bosses
- wanted a cool vocal song during final boss
- story had little weight; story was flimsy; wanted dramatic story
- plz play with GCN configuration (well, I'd say that too)
- Lots of comparisons to Sonic World Adventure but that's a given
- Sonic's character has changed a little; Tails is too much of an adult.
- Theme park setting is disappointing compared to Unleashed's setting
- was there an issue with the ranking / wi-fi in this game? I see people bringing it up a lot
- no outstanding BGM; want more vocal music
- wanted a serious story, less jokes
- Maybe it's because they hired an American writer, but Sonic's a little too funny (this was cited as a negative)
- story was short

Hmmm... you know what? If Sega takes all of this stuff into consideration, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game we got is Sonic Adventure 3. It's kinda clear that JP players a serious as heck story.

Edit: heh, they seem to love Secret Rings: http://wiimk2.net/title.php?title=232

qq more

I am raging from the inside by reading these awful reviews. Who the fuck plays Sonic for the serious stories? Fuck you, Japan. FUCK.YOU. Also please no more vocal songs as the final boss theme.

EDIT: Totally agree with the GCN controller and recycled boss thing though.

And I thought the English-speaking fanbase was full of whiny people who had no idea what they wanted. Are you sure we're not just cherry-picking the worst here?

I can't stand this light hearted jokey Sonic in space craziness! bring him back to a location resembling Earth with a REAL story.

This is the vibe i'm getting and it's not one I like to be feeling.

No outstanding BGM?! more vocals?! FUUUUUUUCK YOU

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They gave Sonic Adventure DX a D rank with an average of 59: http://gcmk2.net/action/sonicadvndx.html

ALL HAIL SHADOW: http://gcmk2.net/action/shadowthehedgehog.html

They think Sonic Heroes looks good, but the camera isn't good: http://gcmk2.net/action/sonicheros.html

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle's reviews are here: http://gcmk2.net/action/sonicadv2battle.html. Seemed to like it a lot.
-Camera is poo
-Treasure Hunting is a pain
-They seem to acknowledge that Sonic is very popular in the US and the music makes it sound that way
-Really like the handling of Sonic and Shadow
-"Chao raising can be monotonous" but some of them seem to really like the Chao raising
-Knuckles and Rouge's stages seem to be less favourable
-Stories and general scenario were interesting
-They loooove the music
-lots of "sense of speed" posts in here
-one person said that the shooting stages are a little rough.

Shadow Hog said:
And I thought the English-speaking fanbase was full of whiny people who had no idea what they wanted. Are you sure we're not just cherry-picking the worst here?
Well, I did go through the bad/request portions because the comment said "Japanese players don't care about gameplay". Do you want me to go through the GOOD! ones? :p
But honestly, the majority of them seemed to dislike the Colours story. They wanted something deeper and more dramatic.

Edit: As for the good for Sonic Colours...
-lack of load times
-tons of stages
-some stage BGM was good (Starlight Carnival was mentioned here)
-liked powerups
-loved the graphics
-Sonic's handling is fine
-Homing Attack behaviour is improved.
-jumping feels fine
-grinding on rails feels comfortable
-felt very original for a Sonic game
-lots of comparisons to Super Mario Galaxy actually

They just disliked the story and characterization of Sonic/Tails.

Hm. I'll go through some of the GOOD! points for Sonic 2006
-Music is very catchy
-like that you could see 3 perspectives of the story with Shadow, Sonic and Silver
-Sonic's spines look nice? wat
-Enemy design is cool
-Story's pretty good
-Playing with Silver is exhilarating? Psychokinesis, which wasn't in the series before, is neat because you can hit enemies with objects? GAF...
-Story's quite likeable
-"Shadow can ride in vehicles"
-THERE IS A TOWN
-Story entwined with a human, finally
-3-person story with Sonic, Shadow, and Silver makes it a different action game [depending on the character you choose]
-the cinematics were good??

gaf im dying

wow...this is a bit surprising to me, some of the negative points such as recycled bosses I will actually agree with, though asking for a "serious" story doesn't sit well with me...it honestly sometimes makes me think of fans who want their franchise to have a GRIMDARK story or something like Nolan Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom