• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand this light hearted jokey Sonic in space craziness! bring him back to a location resembling Earth with a REAL story.

This is the vibe i'm getting and it's not one I like to be feeling.

Iizuka-sama is waiting in the wings to welcome us back to his world. Please look forward to Sonic Adventure 3.

Emitan

Can't wait for Amy to die 3/4 of the way in so Sonic gets mad and unleashes NEGA SONIC and murders Eggman with a bloody death

Okay so the age old question, how long did it take you to figure out the barrel?

Me and my brother figured it out the first time (Had gotten bored and played around with earlier barrels) and I didn't realize how difficult it was to figure out until many many years later...

Emitan

Okay so the age old question, how long did it take you to figure out the barrel?

Me and my brother figured it out the first time (Had gotten bored and played around with earlier barrels) and I didn't realize how difficult it was to figure out until many many years later...

I had to ask on GameFAQs :(

Weren't most of the reviews for Sonic Adventure 2 when it was re-released on the Gamecube last than a year later almost completely positive in tone and reception than they were for the original Dreamcast release?

It was actually IGN I was thinking of; I vaguely remember their Nintendo staff at the time of Battle's release openly questioning how sober the Dreamcast staff were when they first reviewed it.

5/10.

I really like the aesthetics, music and *idea* behind the daytime stages, but I just feel their implementation left a lot to be desired. Floaty as hell controls, constant pit traps and QTE sequences which broke up the flow of every level. Most of the levels were admittedly fun once you memorised their layouts and played the game in a similar time-trial style to Rush, but I shouldn't have to play a level several times over just to start having some fun.

Colors may have been more conservative with the speedy portions but by holding back it was able to become a much more polished and playable experience, while by Generations I felt you had a good mix of the interactive rollercoaster style Unleashed was aiming for with Color's platforming.

The smallest of sample sizes but I thought the Day stages were a bit too much on the gotta go stupid fast speed parts. I love those as much as any person but there were so many of them, it was tough to enjoy. Give me more platforming sections too! The game looks great though...

*bases this off of playing the demo. Take with a grain of salt*

If you don't include the Werehog parts, do you include Eggmanland HD? Just the Sonic bits? Because even just those alone might drag down a few scores.

rate sonic unleashed without medal collecting and werehog

rate sonic unleashed

out of 10.
without medals and Werehog, complete with those summary things so I can become one with metacritic.
While this is the strongest Sonic has been in years it comes at a cost, a mostly empty package charged for full price really stings a bit, as enjoyable as the stages may be there's very few of them to choose from and you'll be done within around 2 hours, a bunch of available missions and a level up system try to pad out the game but there's only so much that can be done with so little. Still it's an enjoyable ride while it lasts but you'll blast through the content at supersonic speed.
7/10

Standard Unleashed
the only thing that's been unleashed in this game is a snarling and grotesque monster in the form of half baked brawler that threatens to undermine the entire package with its drawn out gameplay, imprecise platforming and infuriating Wasp enemies.
5/10

Only two points of difference, but that's mainly because without the fluff Unleashed while being better off would be pretty damn bare with stages that tend to be simply good but not great meaning that it can't ascend that far beyond the original werehog filled form. Considering I rather enjoyed Unleashed giving it 5 stings a bit but honestly the Werehog is outright flawed (no shadows for jumping?!).
That said i've never been able to actually start Unleashed again from a new file.

rate sonic unleashed without medal collecting and werehog

rate sonic unleashed

out of 10.

6 out of 10

Story would still be nyehhhhhhhhhh, hub wouldn't be as bad as before but it would still be nyehhhhhhhhhhhh, stages would be ooooooooooh, at first, but after that it would still be nyehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't give numerical scores to things. You know how I feel about Unleashed already anyway. Werehog balancing is shit until you almost start to max him out; I'm fine with a lot of the other portions.

btw, people in the other thread saying that Unleashed Wii overall is better than the HD version are bananas. Maybe some parts of it are better (Eggmanland), but nah, it's not better than the HD version at all.

WillyFive

wow...this is a bit surprising to me, some of the negative points such as recycled bosses I will actually agree with, though asking for a "serious" story doesn't sit well with me...it honestly sometimes makes me think of fans who want their franchise to have a GRIMDARK story or something like Nolan Batman.

Not a Nolan or GRIMDARK story, but not something as lazy, stupid, and pointless as recent Sonic games like Generations. I also share this criticism of the recent Sonic games, Generation's story was the single most disappointing thing about that game for me. Such a waste.

Emitan

Not a Nolan or GRIMDARK story, but not something as lazy, stupid, and pointless as recent Sonic games like Generations. I also share this criticism of the recent Sonic games, Generation's story was the single most disappointing thing about that game for me. Such a waste.

Generations was basically a less lazy Super Mario All-Stars. What the heck did you want?

WillyFive

Generations was basically a less lazy Super Mario All-Stars. What the heck did you want?

Mario All-Stars was a collection of old games. Sonic Generations was a whole new game, but instead of plains/water/lava themed levels it had Sonic1/Sonic2/Sonic3 themed levels.

Sega had the perfect opportunity with having both Genesis Sonic and Adventure Sonic to interact, but instead made one of them unable to speak and had all interactions with the other one be "huh I wonder where he's going". The only worthwhile scene was the Eggman scene before the final boss.

The whole thing was a huge missed opportunity.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RubyEclipse: So... you want a realistic, down-to-earth Sonic story... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic emeralds?

SEGA Execs: You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: cuz you're stupid! Just tell me what's wrong with the freakin' game!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And people wanted Jaleel White to voice Classic Sonic.

I got a kick out of the animations, and animations > voicework for me.

With that said, however, because they made such a huge deal about getting the Colours guys to work on the story and some of the trailers somewhat hinting at a substantial story or something, I sorta expected more too. The tail end of the game--Planet Wisp and the final boss--were disappointing. Edit: Actually, I could swear there was a cutscene in a trailer that seems like it was supposed to have been used in the game, but it was only used for the idle title screen video instead.

So we are going to get a Sonic Adventure 3, no wait... 4... ah... 5.

Mario All-Stars was a collection of old games. Sonic Generations was a whole new game, but instead of plains/water/lava themed levels it had Sonic1/Sonic2/Sonic3 themed levels.

Sega had the perfect opportunity with having both Genesis Sonic and Adventure Sonic to interact, but instead made one of them unable to speak and had all interactions with the other one be "huh I wonder where he's going". The only worthwhile scene was the Eggman scene before the final boss.

The whole thing was a huge missed opportunity.

This. The game's story would have been so much better with Jaleel White. The voice would have been bad, but at least it would have been a nice homage!

RubyEclipse: So... you want a realistic, down-to-earth Sonic story... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic emeralds?

SEGA Execs: You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: cuz you're stupid! Just tell me what's wrong with the freakin' game!

So this is what led us to Poochy the Hedgehog.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If Mega Drive Sonic had spoken, I wouldn't have bought the game

Pretty much. Classic Sonic should be silent. And Tails should just shut the fuck up period.

Also, Sonic games should never have stories more complicated than Robotnik stealing emeralds to fuck up shit, so Sonic has to go fuck up Robotnik's shit first. No 'ultimate lifeforms', ancient gods, bio-engineered lizards, hedgehogs from the future or interspecies romance, just Sonic fucking up Robotnik's shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This. The game's story would have been so much better with Jaleel White. The voice would have been bad, but at least it would have been a nice homage!
I know quite a few people who think that Sonic shouldn't be talking at all, in any form whether it'd be Classic or Modern. They wish he'd just shut the fuck up for a bit. I imagine that if Classic Sonic talked, some reviewers and players would find it to be a turn-off.

So this is what led us to Poochy the Hedgehog.
Him coming back from the dead and starring in his own damn game with those damn chaos emeralds.

Damn.

With that said, however, because they made such a huge deal about getting the Colours guys to work on the story and some of the trailers somewhat hinting at a substantial story or something, I sorta expected more too. The tail end of the game--Planet Wisp and the final boss--were disappointing. Edit: Actually, I could swear there was a cutscene in a trailer that seems like it was supposed to have been used in the game, but it was only used for the idle title screen video instead.

I can kinda agree there. I wasn't expecting more plot, but I was expecting quite a bit more fanservicey-like scenes. They kind of had the right idea with the cutscenes after Green Hill and Chemical Plant, but I think they dropped the ball afterwards.

Didn't dull my enjoyment of the game, though.

Tails speaking was almost a deal-breaker too, but I suppose there's no getting around that.

I did want more cutscenes, though. Generations does feel kinda slapped together.

WillyFive

Voice acting has gotten better, especially since we are no longer stuck with the 4kids troupe. I wish they'd use them for more than simplistic Saturday Morning stories though. A reboot is needed; but they shouldn't just abandon the whole idea of having a Sonic game with canon, especially since it made so many fans doing so.

qq more

Why, exactly? Because previous ones were bad? Gee, might as well stop trying! That's indefensible.

Are you being serious? Having no story is not indefensible. Sonic is a platformer just like Mario. Does Mario need story? No, it doesn't.

I swear to god if I have to argue with this stupid subject again...

I can kinda agree there. I wasn't expecting more plot, but I was expecting quite a bit more fanservicey-like scenes. They kind of had the right idea with the cutscenes after Green Hill and Chemical Plant, but I think they dropped the ball afterwards.

Didn't dull my enjoyment of the game, though.

This was my thought as well, they also could have done with some poking-fun at themselves. This was an anniversary game, in my view a grand plot wasn't necessary, would be nice if they could try something more at some other point, but keeping it simple(though not too simple or not whatever the hell happened in Heroes) is fine.

Also, we really DON'T need Jaheel White voicing Classic Sonic, I get it would be nice for nostalgia sake but with the design of Classic Sonic, it would have just come off awkward for me. If CS would've had at least ONE line game in the game just have Roger change his pitch
...or just have Morgan Freeman do it.

h5Khe.gif

WillyFive

Are you being serious? Having no story is not indefensible. Sonic is a platformer just like Mario. Does Mario need story? No, it doesn't.

I swear to god if I have to argue with this stupid subject again...

People haven't come to expect any kind of story from Mario platformers, and the few times the games offered it (such as Mario Galaxy 1), it was small enough that it kept itself consistent with the rest of the Mario platformers.

Going from the past decade of Sonic games with their own fully blown "continuity" and characters with story arcs to something like Generations is not only jarring but disappointing to those that did like the idea of Sonic games having it.

Mario fans don't have to expect squat from story with NSMBU, no one has any reason to expect it. Sonic fans, however, had every reason to expect something story-wise out of something as big as Generations, and they got squat.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yes, jarring to those who liked it and expected.

Joyfully and relaxing to those who didn't like Sonic with "let's pretend we are making a RPG" story from Sonic Team, and we were happy to go back to the more standard classic Sonic of show the plot for a basic story. For someone like me, whose favourite Sonic video game story is still Sonic 3 and Knuckles (taking place over two days with Knuckles after Sonic's), it was great to go back to simple presentation to fit my Mega Drive nostalgia.

See, we can defend either having a story or not having a story, so let's stop using "indefensible".

Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure would have been so much better without all the talking in it. Sigh.

Oh and my Mega Drive, Master System, Game Gear Sonic, didn't talk, and that's how I remember him.

I was kidding at that last bit, though the idea is a bit funny in my mind.

I call lies. You dream of Morgan Freeman in a Sonic game constantly. I disagree with the idea of him as Sonic though. Freeman is more of a Motobug if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom