• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advance 3 always makes me think of Chaos Angel.

Runners-up include Route 99, Sunset Hill and Ocean Base (if only for the uniqueness in setting at the time for a Sonic game, despite the fact the stage didn't capitalize on it).

qq more

So uhh... tough question. Should I bother adding Sonic Pocket Adventure to the roster for the sake of keeping it even? There's only 5 platformer Game Gear titles and I really need one more (yes, I plan to include Sonic Blast. But I'll try my best to make the level good, I promise!). The problem is that Pocket Adventure's levels are literally Sonic 1/2 levels remade in 8-bit form with unfitting music and a different name. :lol

qq more

I guess I'll decide what I'll do with the 6th game later, this part is really difficult but I'm sure I'll come up with something eventually. Maybe a Tails Adventure level would be ideal for a desperate pick?

Kokonoe

Banned
That sounds great. Love that Genesis sound. I really think the tunes in Sonic 4 are quite good, just the fucking low budget "quasi-retro" instruments they use are god awful.

I do too, I kinda want to hear some SNES ones but I haven't found them. And yeah, the genesis chip certainly is better with this, or at least the sounds utilized because Sonic 4 has them all over the place.

qq more

Sonic Labyrinth or Sonic 2006?

Haven't played Labyrinth.

I can barely remember Labyrinth but I think I'd rather play that over 06... I mean at least it's a really short game, meanwhile 06 is a long Sonic game. I'd rather be tortured for an hour than be tortured for 5-10 or so hours *doesn't know Sonic 06's playtime length*.

qq more

So, Tails' Adventure it is. By the way I'm gonna include Sonic Colors DS in the survey since the levels are different enough to justify a spot (not to mention DS version has different wisps!).

I might include Tails' Adventure in the survey too... or should I just pick the level myself?

Man, everyone always sleeps on Hot Crater. That was my favorite stage from Advance 2, and one of my favorites, period.

Oh yeah, those stages were a ton of fun, and I loved the music.

They weren't exceedingly hard, of course, but they were fun, especially when you had the trick system down.

Kokonoe

Banned
Err..I neglected the game gear Sonic games as I disliked Sonic Chaos with a passion. A lot of these I can't answer.

Guess I'll look at the sprites and see which ones are the coolest.

Pietepiet

That sounds great. Love that Genesis sound. I really think the tunes in Sonic 4 are quite good, just the fucking low budget "quasi-retro" instruments they use are god awful.

Neither of these get even close to this incredible version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtXDkMX9Ss

How would you guys feel about a fan game that's pretty much Sonic Generations but for the portable era games instead? Oh and it'd have 4 eras instead of 3 to balance out Classic/Modern Sonic.

Yo if you need a pixel-artist for this...

sonic.gif
sa2.png

BHZ Mayor

It'd have graduated from one of the worst games of all time to merely mediocre... not sure which is worse.

Well 06 was supposed to be the game to save the Sonic series from what was at that point merely mediocrity. Instead, it took the franchise into a reputation of absolute awfulness that still lingers to this day. At least being mediocre would have been consistent.

Kokonoe

Banned
Although we talk about 2006 all the time...doooooood, I'd like it if they released some type of story or interview about the workings of Sonic 2006, and how it got to be how it is. Also their reactions at the reception, and what they thought before releasing.
Only response we've gotten from it so far was at that Sonic event a few months ago where Iizuka said he wasn't in charge at the time and he's happy to be so now.

• Bridge
  • Crystal Egg, probably most original level in the lot
  • Sleeping Egg
  • Sunset Park
  • Uh... Green Hill, I guess? I never played Blast, I don't know these stages.
  • Polly Mountain, although I'm partial to Volcanic Tunnel and Battle Fortress as well
  • Egg Rocket, no contest
  • Music Plant
  • Chaos Angel
  • Dead Line, although tbqh Rush's stages all kinda blur together for me
  • Coral Cave, based solely on the music (didn't play Rush Adventure)
  • Planet Wisp, based off of Generations (I technically reached Planet Wisp in Colors Wii, but I was beating the other stages first)

That's me.

The only non-Mario RPG I really like is CT. I don't want random battles, I don't want 40+ hour game lengths filled to the gills with filler, I don't want boring point a-to-point-b side quests that don't impact the characters, I don't want slow battle systems, I don't wanna feel like I'm underleveled against anybody and forced to grind it out with random battles...if Chrono Trigger can do all this, why can't more games!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hey guys you know what my favourite kinds of threads on gaming side are

list threads

boy i love some list threads

especially the "post video game music" list threads they're the best because no one has to say what they're linking to and why they're linking to it or what they like about the bgm that they're linking to justify linkage

Those are correct. I also post video reviews here (just posted a new one for Halloween!), have a Tumblr over here, a tragically ugly and impractical personal website here, I post music here (or did, before my HDD problems), and am on Twitter.

Just... to, y'know, cover all the bases.
gieOh.gif
Gosh, I knew you were the better person to answer the question, lol. You have lots of content spread everywhere so I didn't know.

The only non-Mario RPG I really like is CT. I don't want random battles, I don't want 40+ hour game lengths filled to the gills with filler, I don't want boring point a-to-point-b side quests that don't impact the characters, I don't want slow battle systems, I don't wanna feel like I'm underleveled against anybody and forced to grind it out with random battles...if Chrono Trigger can do all this, why can't more games!?
The beauty of Chrono Trigger is the fact that it's accessible to everyone/first timers, but veteran players can change their party to put stat handicaps on themselves to theoretically make the game feel harder. That's why I love it so much, and I love discussing party builds with anyone.

Try a Genso Suikoden game (preferably the first two). Their battles generally last as long as a turn load in Final Fantasy--they're very very fast! GS1 and GS2 have complete and utter respect for the player's time and patience. The stories are very good, and they aren't really that difficult.

But as for grinding, there are games that are horribly unbalanced like that (that's kind of why Idea Factory RPGs and I do not get along at all), but in general you don't have to grind in general as long as you have the buff spells to facilitate your battle style. It's just like how some FAQs for Dragon Quest games say that you have to grind to X level when in reality you don't because you have the buff/debuff spells to protect and enhance you. Plus you have some RPGs with difficulty settings which allows the player to play either for the story or for the challenge.

I personally like it as hard as it can get in general, but I totally get why people aren't really into the genre. It can be time-consuming based on the game.

list threads

especially the "post video game music" list threads they're the best because no one has to say what they're linking to and why they're linking to it or what they like about the bgm that they're linking to justify linkage
I love it when people post an image of something supposedly pertinent to the topic, but don't list what it is or what game it's from, and host it on a website that mangles the filename into a3spf9.png, and the only people who acknowledge the post just post useless stuff like "." or "this" or "ha ha so true", leaving me to wonder just what the hell I'm looking at argh

Reading this post just reminds me of how pitch perfect CT's pacing is in just about every aspect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love it when people post an image of something supposedly pertinent to the topic, but don't list what it is or what game it's from, and host it on a website that mangles the filename into a3spf9.png, and the only people who acknowledge the post just post useless stuff like "." or "this" or "ha ha so true", leaving me to wonder just what the hell I'm looking at argh
I can't stand that either. I honestly thought that the mods put a stop to them, but that might've been the voting threads.

They don't motivate or facilitate discussion at all. They just... 'exist', and half the time I get the feeling that some people just post in them just to get their post count up.

But I've stopped posting in video game music threads because people just list stuff without discussing it, or now I just write a sentence about why I listed it because I'm tired of writing paragraphs about something that no one really cares about.

qq more

Neither of these get even close to this incredible version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtXDkMX9Ss

Yo if you need a pixel-artist for this...

sonic.gif
sa2.png

That'd be awesome! I'm also a pixel artist so this should help progress in the visual department!

Also, I'm liking the results of the survey so far. I'll post the results later. Lots of good picks!

AGREED. Very annoying when people do this. Ugh.

Sciz

But I've stopped posting in video game music threads because people just list stuff without discussing it, or now I just write a sentence about why I listed it because I'm tired of writing paragraphs about something that no one really cares about.
This is basically why I've always steered clear of them as well. A big pile with no context is just no fun to pick through. My own Sonic music dumps are guilty of it too, but I'd like to think I've always provided at least some of my own opinions to help avoid wasting people's time.

Pietepiet

That'd be awesome! I'm also a pixel artist so this should help progress in the visual department!

Sure thing. Just hit me up whenever you're gonna start. I never know what my schedule's gonna be like until I'm actually doing stuff, but we can probably work it out :)

My forte is def. character and effect animation, but I've been getting there with tiles as well :p

list threads

I'm not sure how much longer I can last, I try to make my way through a fair amount of music threads, you better believe i'll accompany my choices with at least a bit of text and i'll try not overload on songs lest they get ignored as an intimidating list but it's getting tiring.
Most list threads are equally lacking, the OP needs to try and set the precedent, wallop out a great OP, give explanations, encourage others to do the same.

Still I have one more type of thread that puzzles me even further as of late, I do enjoy a good LTTP thread, key word there is good. As of late though you'll get one of the following...

- Lttp of a game that's not even 3 months old
- Lttp of a game the OP hasn't even played for 3 hours
Sentence long OP that say nothing like "so I just picked up this game for $8, it's okay so far, i've just done the tutorial, discuss"
WHAT THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO DISCUSS YOU BERK?!
Can't mention anything spoiler related, can't have a proper discussion about the game, I just don't get it.
I've made three LTTP threads to my knowledge, one for Chrono Trigger was in fact my first thread (you were there, that's for sure), so i'm no stranger to making the threads myself but bloody hell, at least finish the game or make an effort to explain why you felt the thread was necessary, maybe you have overwhelming praise to gush, maybe you're devouring crow, desperately needing help or willpower to push on or perhaps you're just there to complain. But just don't make it one sentence long and if the chosen game is recent well the OT's exist for a reason.

Try a Genso Suikoden game (preferably the first two). Their battles generally last as long as a turn load in Final Fantasy--they're very very fast! GS1 and GS2 have complete and utter respect for the player's time and patience. The stories are very good, and they aren't really that difficult.
Sounds great and i've wanted to try these for a while now, let me just hop onto psn and download them....
Oh Konami, there's nothing here, not even Castlevania.

I dislike how across both PSN PS1 titles and Virtual Console that there are still games i'd like to play missing from the services like 6 years on from when they started, old games aren't exactly easy to get hold of nor are they cheap.
Now there's this slow trickle of PS2 titles as well, most of which are shovelware, grumble.

The "Youtube Me Again" add-on is basically a required tool for going into threads where youtube links are common, since most of GAF doesn't know how to describe what they're linking.

I dislike how across both PSN PS1 titles and Virtual Console that there are still games i'd like to play missing from the services like 6 years on from when they started, old games aren't exactly easy to get hold of nor are they cheap.

It's really unfortunate that there's a good portion of Virtual Console/PS1 titles that won't see a digital release. A lot of PS1 games I'd like to get from PSN probably won't ever be available thanks to a myriad of problems (Megaman Legends has VA related contractual issues, No one at Konami seems to want to fix up Suikoden II's technical problems, Breath of Fire III's locked up because the company who helped localized it got bought out by some other company...) Thank god for PSP CFW and being able to rip my old PS1 discs.

TheOGB

Banned
You should have some later levels start off normal, then bleed into each other (ex: Techno Base bleeding into Cyber Track, Angel Island bleeding into Chaos Angel, Music Plant bleed into Toy Kingdom, etc.). Memory/time flow starts getting corrupted or whatnot.

I really only say this because I'm having a really hard time picking an Advance 2 and 3 level :<

qq more

You should have some later levels start off normal, then bleed into each other (ex: Techno Base bleeding into Cyber Track, Angel Island bleeding into Chaos Angel, Music Plant bleed into Toy Kingdom, etc.). Memory/time flow starts getting corrupted or whatnot.

I really only say this because I'm having a really hard time picking an Advance 2 and 3 level :<

...This idea sounds actually really cool. I'll think about it!

If not, the least I could do is have it so the levels use gimmicks from other levels that didn't make it. Sonic Generations sort of did that.

Or maybe I could do something really cool in Mission Mode. In speaking of... how did you guys feel about Mission Mode in Generations?

Mission mode is fine when you're racing against another character in a level. Those seemed to be the most enjoyable ones. Gimmicky mission modes tend to make the blood boil, especially stuff like Vector's.

Mission mode is fine when you're racing against another character in a level. Those seemed to be the most enjoyable ones. Gimmicky mission modes tend to make the blood boil, especially stuff like Vector's.
I think I actually preferred the gimmicky ones to the ones where you faced down another character.

And yes, the Vector one can go back to the bowels of Hell where it belongs.

qq more

Gimmicky ones can be fun when done right. I really enjoyed that Sonic 3 sign mission. :lol

Oh and the capsule missions were fun too. There was just something satisfying about those.

By the way, who said this?

If you do Crystal Egg, feel free to use that MIDI I made of it ages ago. Seems most people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom