• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

I was planning to show this later but eh why not now:

bridgezone.png

Things to note:
-BG is definitely not finished yet. Parts of it is empty and the clouds might be redone.
-Some of the stuff might look like it blends with the background, but with parallax it might fix that issue. (I'm just concerned about the trees though)
-The game's resolution will be 432x240, pretty much half the size of this image.

Pull the colour of the mountains and trees in the far back closer to blue, so they actually look in the distance. It's a good way to seperate background objects from the foreground.

Take a look at Canabalt's background buildings for example:

canabalt.png

canabalt.PNG

See how they get lighter and more like the sky colour the further they are? :)

What kind of pies do boys usually like?
Pizza

I was planning to show this later but eh why not now:

bridgezone.png

Things to note:
-BG is definitely not finished yet. Parts of it is empty and the clouds might be redone.
-Some of the stuff might look like it blends with the background, but with parallax it might fix that issue. (I'm just concerned about the trees though)
-The game's resolution will be 432x240, pretty much half the size of this image.
I'd probably change the sky color to match that of the MS/GG original, and then fade objects in the background toward that color as appropriate (as per what Pietepiet said - I was gonna say that myself, but got beaten).

Still not big on that gradient, like I mentioned earlier.

qq more

QQ, what is this for exactly? Because I might like to try it one day.
This is for the Sonic Generations fan game I've been talking about. Not really gonna start on it yet, but ATM I'm just making assets for the game since I love doing pixel art. So yeah, what you see right now is how the game will likely look.

@Pietepiet and Shadowhog: Thanks, will take note of that. Changing the background palette the first thing I'll do now. Is the mountain's palette fine though?

And yeah, I think it's time for me to get rid of the gradient, I've been liking it less and less every time I see it. Looks out of place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, qq, I was gonna say that the sky colour was what was bugging me, but I wouldn't mind if you took some liberties of your own and applied some of the artistic stuff from Emerald Ties.

Unless it's supposed to be a complete replication of the original?

Shadow Hog said:
But that's boring!

Heh, that's way too broad of a question for me to be able to answer. The nice thing about pies with graham cracker crust is that they're really simple to make; you basically a mixture of smash graham cracker crumbs, butter and confectioners' sugar around the edges of the pie pan, bake it for a while, and then add the filling.

Anything involving making your own dough or rolling pins is more than I care to deal with. I mean, fuck this.
Yeah, no, I'm not sure if I could make my own stuff yet. I can do it with a cake and cupcakes and stuff, but not with something I have never made before. I need to practice a lot though because I don't want to do it right before and it turns out to not be good.

Hum. I'll bear what you said in mind, though. Thanks! It doesn't seem that difficult when it's written down. I want it to be pretty and substantive, but I don't want it to turn into a disaster.

http://i.imgur.com/WBMmu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh you!

Nah, we've been seeing each other for nine years now so I wanted to do special stuff this time around, tbh.

qq more

Yeah, qq, I was gonna say that the sky colour was what was bugging me, but I wouldn't mind if you took some liberties of your own and applied some of the artistic stuff from Emerald Ties.

Unless it's supposed to be a complete replication of the original?

Actually.... Since a direct 8-bit to 16-bit conversion in its design wouldn't be interesting, I've decided to take creative liberties in this. I'm going to do the same to every other level while not straying too far from their original feel.

1) Foreground trees! They've never existed in the original Bridge Zone, so I decided to make my own.
2) Foreground ground has updated designs. The ground looked originally boring when I replicated the original ground.
3) I accidentally made the river bigger... oops. I took advantage of it by adding islands (seen below the bridges).
4) Grass also got a redesign touch.

I'm still looking to add more creative touches to the level's design but it might be good enough for now.

Also, should the sky lose the gradient and keep its darkest color or should I go for a brighter sky?

EDIT: Actually, I think the real issue with the sky is that there is a lot of empty spots in the background. I'm gonna decorate that more.

qq more

Is it okay to double post just for an update?

bridgezone%20%282%29.png

Changelog:
-Background trees are bright
-New background mountains (and the further away ones are lighter)
-Purple foreground rock is darker so it doesn't blend in with the background.
-Gradient is slightly improved. Not sure how I feel about it... what about you guys?

Also, don't mind the further away mountains looking the same... I'll get to work on making it unique.

On that background, it looks a bit weird how the trees seem to be split up like that. I think it might look a tad better if there wasn't any gaps in between them. Otherwise...I kind of like how bright and colorful it is.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh you!

Nah, we've been seeing each other for nine years now so I wanted to do special stuff this time around, tbh.
Wow, good on ya.

Just finished Sonic Adventure for the 3rd or 4th time. Enjoyed it, got much less frustrated at the later stages in this playthrough (I think the fact I played with a not-terrible controller this time helped :p).

it's funny that even Sonic found Tails' last line in Super Sonic's story so bad that he jumped off a building and committed suicide

qq more

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL

bridgezone%20%283%29.png

-BG is generally brighter
-Light-green trees are replaced with darker/normal trees.

Does the BG look less busy now?

Definitely easier to tell foreground from background, but I think we can go a bit farther.

Maybe I can fuss with it when I get home, I dunno. Can't at work.

bridgezone%20%28sh%29.png

Changed the color of the sky to the exact shade of the original. Don't think I handled the clouds very well, though.
Mountains were the perfect color, it turns out, but the trees in front were too saturated. Dampened those a bit, I think they're the right shades now.

Just my suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em.

qq more

Sky is way too bright for my liking. It doesn't work as well with the current tileset because the palette is generally darker than the GG/MS's palette. I will try to bright the sky a bit.

I love what you did with the background trees. I'll try to match those with the Sega Genesis palette (which is what the entire tileset's colors came from).

EDIT:
bridgezone%20%284%29.png

Sky is way too bright for my liking. It doesn't work as well with the current tileset because the palette is generally darker than the GG/MS's palette. I will try to bright the sky a bit.

I love what you did with the background trees. I'll try to match those with the Sega Genesis palette (which is what the entire tileset's colors came from).

EDIT:
bridgezone%20%284%29.png

I definitely preferred the deeper blue sky. I realize the lighter blue is more "accurate", but I liked how rich and vibrant the colors look and the darker blue sky compliments that nicely, I think.

I like how the sky looks but I don't think it shows up very well in the reflection on the water.
Heh, was just thinking the mountains just to the west of town were kind of sort of looking like the ones I see here.

*buys Episode 2 and snaps because Sony won't let me use Paypal*
This is some freaking garbage.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah, the lost unedited (maybe edited) script for Sonic 2006, right?

I think this is a happy medium between the two so far. I really really like the water. It looks so gosh darn nice.

The brighter sky, I feel, would call for modifying the colour of the water too. Edit: beaten--great minds think alike, etc.

Hooray for nine years!

And once I saw that line, I instantly remembered The Rock's infamous love of pies, and I remembered I had that gif of him smiling. It just came to me.
Wow, good on ya.
Thanks. Well, I won't deny that we've had a lot of stumbling blocks along the way, but everything isn't always peachy-keen. Best thing to do is sit down and talk it out. Argue and yell and say what's bothering you and listen to each other if you need to so you can just get it out and not bottle things up. That's an awful thing to do in a relationship and can lead to its demise. But I guess the other half of it is that even though he's the more sociable and outgoing one and I'm the quieter shy one, he's way more patient and less hot-headed than I am, so he's more likely to listen to what I have to say and consider it. Takes two to tango in a relationship, etc.

They say that dating your best friend is probably the worst thing you could do, but I feel like it's worked out for both of us.

As for PIE--The most electrifying song in sports entertainment.

Like Holyfield who has taken too many whacks to the head, a running back who has put in too many years or that little white Honda sedan you ran into the ground and then some, it looks like all those years on Sonic have taken their toll on his legs. Soon the name of the game will be Sonic in a blazing fast wheelchair.

Sonic, Delta Red called and Cammy demands her stage back. Doesn't a girl deserve that much Blue not so Blur?

Oh curse you Schala, i'd managed to briefly forget about that so called song, though The Rock's vocal talents would fit in just fine in a Knuckles stage of descriptive lyric nonsense.
But hey there's always worse, like the Kurt Angle rap.
I wont subjugate anyone here to it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kurt Angle should never rap again.

Like Holyfield who has taken too many whacks to the head, a running back who has put in too many years or that little white Honda sedan you ran into the ground and then some, it looks like all those years on Sonic have taken their toll on his legs. Soon the name of the game will be Sonic in a blazing fast wheelchair.
IT BEGINS. Will it be tiggerkiddo's GOAT? Who knows!

qq more

I think this is a happy medium between the two so far. I really really like the water. It looks so gosh darn nice.
Funfact: I shamelessly took the water from Relic Retreat of Emerald Ties and modified it. Luckily it's still my work so I guess there isn't much shame for it. '-'

The brighter sky, I feel, would call for modifying the colour of the water too. Edit: beaten--great minds think alike, etc.
I actually ended up changing the sky color again because I can't decide if I like the brighter sky or not.

It's slightly darker now... and I think as a result it reflects the water fine.

bridgezone%20%285%29.png

Also new clouds behind mountains.

EDIT: I'm starting to think I shouldn't make the image so tall. There's little reason to show so much of the sky. Lemme trim that for a second...

EDIT2: Nah... not worth it.

Nostalgia? How does it work? Why why am I lost in a watery hell, hounded by a blue pirahna not seen tormenting me since I was a wee kid (Okay more like 7). Every night I would wake up in a cold cold sweat, hounded by that enormous hull and all those shiny pointy teeth, out to punch a hole in my young tender and soft ego. Why Sega, WHY?

If I see the seahorse guys from Oil Ocean show up, I'm going to crawl into the fetal position and take a pill to release me from the grip of this cold, dark and harsh world.

Bottomless pit...bottomless pit...pit of no bottom...pit to hell...pit to nothingness...pit of despair...pit I'm there to remind you of what you've become...pit...I see pits...I see bottomless pits...the pits, the pits are on parade...look out...look out bottomless pits are on parade...

qq more

Nostalgia? How does it work? Why why am I lost in a watery hell, hounded by a blue pirahna not seen tormenting me since I was a wee kid (Okay more like 7). Every night I would wake up in a cold cold sweat, hounded by that enormous hull and all those shiny pointy teeth, out to punch a hole in my young tender and soft ego. Why Sega, WHY?

If I see the seahorse guys from Oil Ocean show up, I'm going to crawl into the fetal position and take a pill to release me from the grip of this cold, dark and harsh world.

Bottomless pit...bottomless pit...pit of no bottom...pit to hell...pit to nothingness...pit of despair...pit I'm there to remind you of what you've become...pit...I see pits...I see bottomless pits...the pits, the pits are on parade...look out...look out bottomless pits are on parade...

Looking forward to your reactions of White Park Act 3

Eggman's become an eco terrorist...I knew he had it him!

Help, the plant thing is writhing around, I don't know what to do...

'I see flowers of green, skies of blue...bright sunny days...and I think to myself...what a hellacious world...'

my hate...my hate flows like the mighty Amazon, powering through the muck and mire, carrying it through the mighty jungles...my hate for lavender flowers grows...it grows...until it reaches a crescendo and I snap, ripping open a tear in the fabric of reality. I feel I can punch the walls of reality...I will end all life and become one with the Void...all thanks to a purple flower...

I HAVE STARED INTO THE VOID AND THE HYDRA EMERGES.

Sooooo uh...anyone see Herc around? Tell him to get his mythological beasts under control! Hercules? More like Jerkules.

It's time to RUMBLE!

This is the first boss and I've died three times...why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why whwywyw...*nibbles on fingers*

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Robotnik
Robotnik

I knew all those years of losing to a spiny blue rodent had taken a toll on Eggman. Now he's plugged all the vines into his neck, hot wiring him with liquid cocaine, which powers his magical majin super beam of eggtastic, plasmitatic super funkadelic...juju bean powered beam of Soul Glo! I swing my hair back and forth...

I like elevators...I like the feeling of dread as I go down...I feel that feeling now...I'm not descending to the bottom of a building...but the bottom of life...to a land where dreams die, hope is lost, love has been stomped out and the sunny beautiful light of the continue screen only lies into making me believe I ever had a chance of escaping this magical corridor of a tempest spiraling downward into a black hole of nothinginess...meaningless...your words have no affect...I would say you all sound like chapters from a self help booklet but that would mean I still have a shred of life...of human nature...of a free will...but no...I have become like nothing.

Why does Tails walk like Bao from King of Fighters...

Kokonoe

Banned
Maybe we do need SA3 so we can bring back those lovely clean raps he used to do.

Hopefully so, it's pretty crazy how vastly different this is. I recall he's in talks with SEGA about something, so maybe he's doing some more Knuckles music for a future Sonic game.

So am I the only person needing a translator for kiddo these days? I don't speak Tigger

ALSO DON'T YOU LOVE OVERLY LONG BOSS CUTSCENES? ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DIE AND HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN?

OIL DESERT BOSS HOW YA DOIN? OH NOT MUCH, JUST DROPPIN' BLOCKS, KER-PLUNK.
BOY THIS IS EASY BUT KINDA BORING *3 MINS LATER*
WHOOPS, DEAD ON THE FINAL BIT WITH THE DUBIOUS WAY OF ATTACK, DO IT ALLLLL AGAIN.

So in other words I also love unnecessarily bosses that take longer than the actual stages.

Jokes been made a thousand times but Sonic, Bubsy and Diddy want their stage back.

I'm conflicted...White Park combines an ice level...and there is yet an ice level in any Sonic game I like but also has an amusement park theme which works well with the stages I love the most...my love is torn! I feel like the one Michael Jackson and Bill McCartney were fighting about in That Girl is Mine

Wait, I don't think that comparison works...

Kokonoe

Banned
OIL DESERT BOSS HOW YA DOIN? OH NOT MUCH, JUST DROPPIN' BLOCKS, KER-PLUNK.
BOY THIS IS EASY BUT KINDA BORING *3 MINS LATER*
WHOOPS, DEAD ON THE FINAL BIT WITH THE DUBIOUS WAY OF ATTACK, DO IT ALLLLL AGAIN.

So in other words I also love unnecessarily bosses that take longer than the actual stages.

I thought you were making a Knuckles rap there.

If you haven't played Kingdom Cutscene 2, you just don't know.

Watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when the avalanches come for you.

I'm sure the fanfic writers are having a field day with this Sonic and Tails ground action. It's just like Sonic Advance 3.

bottomless pit...bottomless pit...numb numb numb...eat your braaaaaaaaaains

I thought you were making a Knuckles rap there.
You know if that boss had Knuckles Rap for the music then the first line would be a great start.
White Park Act 2 was lame. It was so automated.

HAVE FUN WITH ACT 3 BY THE WAY
At least Act 2 has goodish music, Act 1 is like ear violation with those high pitched things.
Visually though Act 2 is cool, shame the stage itself doesn't match up to the other positives.

I...

I...think I have a new love.

Wow, I think I heard part of an old Sonic song here...LOVE.

I will say no more ill toward Episode 2...until I get annoyed again.

Rollercoaster of Love say what
Rollercoaster yeah

...Sonic stop racing on a roller coaster that is still being BUILT...why is OSHA not allowed in Sonic games?

qq more

You know if that boss had Knuckles Rap for the music then the first line would be a great start.

At least Act 2 has goodish music, Act 1 is like ear violation with those high pitched things.
Visually though Act 2 is cool, shame the stage itself doesn't match up to the other positives.

Act 2's music is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom