• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder where they are going next with Sonic ... Some want sonic adventure 3 some want a sonic colors 2 just wondering what's next

Sonic Colours 2: Sonic the Hedgehog 5 & Knuckles 2 like this:

Give Sonic boost, Tails hover and Knuckles drill as inherent abilities run off something like the current boost bar, tweak their speed, acceleration and jump attributes to differentiate them a little more and make the character select like S3&K and I'd be happy.

If you want to play around with objectives like emerald hunting, stick it in something like Colours' side acts or Generations' missions.

I do wonder where they are going next with Sonic ... Some want sonic adventure 3 some want a sonic colors 2 just wondering what's next

Just split up the series into Adventure games built off Generations (lest we go through another ten or so years of Sonic Team fumbling around with a good design foundation to stick with) and classic 2D games with the classic designs which aren't really just hastily upscaled iOS games.

OMG Aero

Right here.
What's your PSN name? Mine is Omega_Aero.
Was gonna get it for Wii U but that's not for another couple of weeks here and places are listing it for ~$20 more than the PS360 version so Triple it was. PSN name is Dubbington if anyone wants to add me.
Just added you, hopefully we can play online some time.
Didn't feel the love for Sonic Colors...especially the DS one but I'm a weirdo. Just give me Generations 2 and let me use the main trio.
When you say you want Generations 2 do you mean that style of game or literally Generations 2 where it's just old levels?
I feel like Sega only gets to do that once (or at least have to wait until another big anniversary) unless it comes across as being really lazy and just looks like they are out of ideas.

I don't want Generations 2. I I want either "classic" Sonic or this new and improved Modern Sonic. Stick with one and make that one great. No more of this half-and-half disjointed shit.

I don't want Generations 2. I I want either "classic" Sonic or this new and improved Modern Sonic. Stick with one and make that one great. No more of this half-and-half disjointed shit.
It's crazy but I think you might be onto something here.

fuck Sonic make a new Ristar

That games controls can be frustrating as fuck, it's worth revisiting so they can fix that mess and finally make it the great game it could be.

Just give me...7-8 must have games and I will buy a Wii U ASAP! So far I have Rayman on that list.

Oh and trying to find Sonic and Sega Transformed was a lot harder than I thought...ugh.

We need a NEW Sonic the Hedgehog game. The music will be punctuated by Cha Cha or perhaps the happy cry of a Flicky. No more super gritty stages either but everything will look super colorful with soft edges like that of a Play School toy. The enemies will randomly stop and just dance while looking at you for no doggone reason. On the plus side, you get to use 4 player mode so someone can use Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy. You'll also get to experience a lot of your classic Sonic levels now in stunning HD quality.

Cha Cha!

Also, not only do you get to use the different shields, but you can also don different types of shoes...ones that slow you down, ones that speed you up, ones that allow you to jump super high and ones that drain you of your rings. The game will also feature an exclusive Ring shoes that allow you to really rack up the rings and gather lives. What good will collecting all those rings get you? Not a bloody thing!

Cha Cha!

qq more

We need a NEW Sonic the Hedgehog game. The music will be punctuated by Cha Cha or perhaps the happy cry of a Flicky. No more super gritty stages either but everything will look super colorful with soft edges like that of a Play School toy. The enemies will randomly stop and just dance while looking at you for no doggone reason. On the plus side, you get to use 4 player mode so someone can use Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy. You'll also get to experience a lot of your classic Sonic levels now in stunning HD quality.

Cha Cha!

Also, not only do you get to use the different shields, but you can also don different types of shoes...ones that slow you down, ones that speed you up, ones that allow you to jump super high and ones that drain you of your rings. The game will also feature an exclusive Ring shoes that allow you to really rack up the rings and gather lives. What good will collecting all those rings get you? Not a bloody thing!

Cha Cha!

Cha Cha

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't even know what to say about the Wii U right now. I'm speechless about it, tbh. I was pretty apathetic towards it before, but after seeing footage from various sources and reading through various threads, I'm waiting on:
-a redesign/new colour -- mostly redesign
-a game I really want
-homebrew so it can be region-free

I don't see myself getting it in the next few months.

This has been a weird launch.

I've been distracted by Transformed, it may take me a while to get back into the Graces groove.
I do find the battle system more fun than other games in the series though i'm probably having a ton of advanced stuff fly over my head, no limited TP is the greatest thing ever, I don't want to go back to any game with Orange gels!
...huh, you just made me think of something else they probably nerfed in Xillia 2. You see, in Xillia 1, you regained TP relatively quickly which compensated for AC. But in Xillia 2, I've noticed that my Orange Gummies tend to get depleted in my inventory quickly in Xillia 2 (because I set the item gambit to "use all of the selected item available in the inventory), but that's because TP recover isn't as quick as it was.

Xillia 2 seems to have gotten nerfed a lot. As a result, I'm relearning every character and it just feels strange. It's for the best because the balancing in the first game was off and broken, but in a way, I don't like it.

I don't care about characterization and crap like that. Who gives a shit.
Well maybe you're not as serious concerning this intense plot as the rest of us, WHAT WAS HE LOOKING FOR IN THE LABYRINTH?!
Nooooooooooope! :D

Would you guess that is exactly what I was thinking of when I said that?

I don't even know what to say about the Wii U right now. I'm speechless about it, tbh. I was pretty apathetic towards it before, but after seeing footage from various sources and reading through various threads, I'm waiting on:
-a redesign/new colour -- mostly redesign
-a game I really want
-homebrew so it can be region-free

I don't see myself getting it in the next few months.

This has been a weird launch.

...huh, you just made me think of something else they probably nerfed in Xillia 2. You see, in Xillia 1, you regained TP relatively quickly which compensated for AC. But in Xillia 2, I've noticed that my Orange Gummies tend to get depleted in my inventory quickly in Xillia 2 (because I set the item gambit to "use all of the selected item available in the inventory), but that's because TP recover isn't as quick as it was.

Xillia 2 seems to have gotten nerfed a lot. As a result, I'm relearning every character and it just feels strange. It's for the best because the balancing in the first game was off and broken, but in a way, I don't like it.

Nooooooooooope! :D

If I wanted to, there are more than a few stores nearby that STILL have Wii U in stock. I'm surprised everyone I talk to didn't know the darn thing was coming out. Alas, Big N...if you had just given me 6 or 7 more great games, I would buy it now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Deluxe or Basic? Ah, yeah, that's another thing--they're probably going to sell ones with bigger storage one day so I might as well hold out for that too.

I think the only game I looked forward to for it was Rayman Legends.

tiggerkiddo said:
I'm surprised everyone I talk to didn't know the darn thing was coming out.
I'm not. I've seen just a few commercials for it, but a lot of people I know didn't know about it. I was talking to a few people in my lab about recent releases and I asked if they were planning on getting a Wii U sometime soon and only one of them knew what it was (but didn't seem well-informed on it).

Wii's initial popularity, it seems, came from Wii Sports (and it was released close to Black Friday as well). It assisted in medicine and rehabilitation, and allowed for accessibility and ease-of-use for people who didn't play games often. It brought something new to the table. The launch lineup was relatively decent. I don't see Wii U having that much of a reach yet.

I bought it anyway, as well as BAH BAH U. Figured I might as well have something to do during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, aside from watching it.

It's pretty fun, actually! I know it's kinda easy to lose sight of that with all the people ready to proclaim it to be dead on arrival, but honestly, most people have been buying Nintendo consoles purely for the first-party lineup since the N64, and generally found enough to justify it. I know I'm guilty as charged, although I started with the GameCube (stuck with Sega through the Dreamcast's untimely demise - but since I had an NES as a really young kid before getting a Genesis, it was kind of a homecoming).

That said, as fun as NSMBU is, it's not exactly a landmark title in the history of video games, and it sounds like third-parties haven't been doing such a good job with their ports (going by the lengthy list of games with technical issues in the title of that one thread). Disappointing, to say the least. Can't fault you for your apathy. Ah, well, Dad's inevitably getting whatever the next Xbox is, and my PC is still handling most of what I throw at it without much issue (I couldn't playably max out Arkham City, but was able to run pretty-close-to-max settings at 60FPS), so really, I'm set.

Anth0ny

I can not name a single positive for the Wii U right now. Not a single one. What a fucking disaster.

Okay, maybe one. Pikmin 3 is coming. That's really it. With all the specs coming out today, I'm not even sure how well Platinum will be able to optimize their games on this turd, so hype for 101 and Bayo has gone down.

That Yoshi/Metroid/Metal Gear leak from today better be real =(

I can not name a single positive for the Wii U right now. Not a single one. What a fucking disaster.

Okay, maybe one. Pikmin 3 is coming. That's really it. With all the specs coming out today, I'm not even sure how well Platinum will be able to optimize their games on this turd, so hype for 101 and Bayo has gone down.

• Nintendo games in HD. That's really the biggest positive right there.
  • Off-TV play is actually pretty friggin' nice. Helps that motion controls generally can't be shoehorned in during this scenario, barring some gyroscopy.
  • A good selection of the launch titles are available digitally from day one (I totally expect Nintendo of America to drop the ball with this one sometime soon, going by how they handled the Wii and 3DS shops).
  • No more goddamn friend codes.
I know a lot of people on NeoGAF are harping on and playing up all the negatives (the glut of negative topics is evidence enough of that), but c'mon, positives exist.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I bought it anyway, as well as BAH BAH U. Figured I might as well have something to do during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, aside from watching it.

It's pretty fun, actually! I know it's kinda easy to lose sight of that with all the people ready to proclaim it to be dead on arrival, but honestly, most people have been buying Nintendo consoles purely for the first-party lineup since the N64, and generally found enough to justify it. I know I'm guilty as charged, although I started with the GameCube (stuck with Sega through the Dreamcast's untimely demise - but since I had an NES as a really young kid before getting a Genesis, it was kind of a homecoming).

That said, as fun as NSMBU is, it's not exactly a landmark title in the history of video games, and it sounds like third-parties haven't been doing such a good job with their ports (going by the lengthy list of games with technical issues in the title of that one thread). Disappointing, to say the least. Can't fault you for your apathy. Ah, well, Dad's inevitably getting whatever the next Xbox is, and my PC is still handling most of what I throw at it without much issue (I couldn't playably max out Arkham City, but was able to run pretty-close-to-max settings at 60FPS), so really, I'm set.
I just... I don't know what to say about the console at all. I don't know why I'm so shocked about a lot of the stuff I've seen of it. The menu loading times (from a company who seemed to place priorities on masking loading times), the framerate drops in third party titles, the system locking up... I can't help but to feel disappointed.

What I find most disheartening about it is the online infrastructure/account system. No Friend Codes, but account locking on a system...

I propose that we call NSMB games "BAH-BAH" from now on. And what you said is true--I play Nintendo consoles mostly for the first-party stuff. It's interesting because I used to treat SEGA the same way in the past. It isn't often that I get a Nintendo console for a third-party game (I don't think I've ever done it).

I got... an NES as a hand-me-down, so that wouldn't count. Same with SNES (but it came with Yoshi's Island).
I got a Game Boy/Game Boy Colour for Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX/Oracle of Seasons.
I got an N64 for Majora's Mask (and by extension, Ocarina of Time).
I got a Wii for Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures, and The Wind Waker.
The only outlier is that I got a DS for Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents. I don't even remember what I got a GBA for.

...Basically, Nintendo needs to release a Zelda game. :lol

Anth0ny

• Yeah. Too bad they don't exist yet. A minigame collection and NSMB Wii level hack running in Dolphin (in 720p) doesn't count.

[*]Off-TV play is actually pretty friggin' nice. Helps that motion controls generally can't be shoehorned in during this scenario, barring some gyroscopy.

eh

it's cool I guess. too bad the fucking battery is so horrible.

[*]A good selection of the launch titles are available digitally from day one (I totally expect Nintendo of America to drop the ball with this one sometime soon, going by how they handled the Wii and 3DS shops).

don't care at all. the majority of these games are shitty ports. the launch lineup sucks. I'd much rather have some kind of (gamecube?) virtual console support.

[*]No more goddamn friend codes.

This would be good... IF ACCOUNTS WEREN'T LOCKED TO INDIVIDUAL CONSOLES

ugh. im tired.

• Off-TV play is actually pretty friggin' nice. Helps that motion controls generally can't be shoehorned in during this scenario, barring some gyroscopy.
  • A good selection of the launch titles are available digitally from day one (I totally expect Nintendo of America to drop the ball with this one sometime soon, going by how they handled the Wii and 3DS shops).
  • No more goddamn friend codes.
I know a lot of people on NeoGAF are harping on and playing up all the negatives (the glut of negative topics is evidence enough of that), but c'mon, positives exist.

Those don't really sound like positives. Those sound like things that, besides the tablet, should've happened 7 years ago.

Hope to high heaven that Yoshi's game comes out...and I hope it's good too.

Otherwise...it just needs more first party because third party guys are still lazy when it comes to ports (Not all mind you)

So conflicted about the system as well.

Oh and Transformed looks nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can we all just agree that this launch has been outright weird?

Not as weird as the SEGA Saturn launch, mind you. Because that was in its own class of weird.

The Vita and 3DS launches weren't this weird. I wasn't left utterly speechless, confused, and slightly disappointed by those.

I don't remember much from the Saturn launch but I was still in elementary school at the time...or almost out of it that is. I just don't remember seeing any ads for it.

Darn you Transformed, I haven't hated bees this badly since I fought against Arakune in BlazBlue.

BEES! BAH BAH BEEEEEEEEES!

Magical striped flying buzzy things with throbbing abdomens and wings that buzz aflutter like my feelings after time with an important person. Oh introduce me to the pointy and sharp pain of death and send my bananananana Bananas in Pajamas kart out of the way ho and into the pit of inevitability.

I just... I don't know what to say about the console at all. I don't know why I'm so shocked about a lot of the stuff I've seen of it. The menu loading times (from a company who seemed to place priorities on masking loading times), the framerate drops in third party titles, the system locking up... I can't help but to feel disappointed.
I haven't noticed too much in the way of awful loading times - nothing particularly worse than the 360 in our living room (dear God does it take forever for that XBLA games list to populate). I suppose there's this one time where my brother signed out of his account so I could sign into mine, and it took a good 30 seconds or so to bring that screen up... Also, the initial disc read time is a bit bullshit, I suppose. Once I'm in a game, though, nothing seemed that bad.

Third-party titles... Well, it's obvious that the CPU is slower, the RAM is slower (despite there being more of it) and such, so I'm not sure where the fault lies there. Nintendo, for going the cheap route with their design? Or the third-parties, for making obvious concessions with their ports? It might just be growing pains, seeing as early 360/PS3 games were pretty bad about this kind of thing, too. It might be indicative of major problems the console will have down the road. I know the naysayers will tout it as the latter, but while I won't write the possibility out, I'm more inclined to believe it's the former. Seriously, come PS4/Durango release time, we're gonna be having similar issues. I suppose the situations won't be quite as cut-and-dry, but I'm recalling that many third-party offerings for the 360 launch weren't particularly far-removed from the OG Xbox versions.

Haven't had any system lock-ups, but I've seen that error message floating about. Yeah, no excuse for hanging up when a disc is removed, not when the two consoles prior just provided a polite "put the disc back in you idiot" screen.

What I find most disheartening about it is the online infrastructure/account system. No Friend Codes, but account locking on a system...
It's definitely bullshit, but since I only own one Wii U right now, I'm not too worried about it. I do hope they eventually allow us to use our NNID accounts on other people's Wii Us strictly for online play or something. For digital downloads, do what Microsoft did and have a system license transfer tool that you can only use, like, once a year.

I'm far too optimistic with Nintendo, I openly admit, but even I recognize that Nintendo has to enter the online space kicking and screaming for some reason.

I propose that we call NSMB games "BAH-BAH" from now on.
I kinda figured that's what we were going with, yeah.

And what you said is true--I play Nintendo consoles mostly for the first-party stuff. It's interesting because I used to treat SEGA the same way in the past. It isn't often that I get a Nintendo console for a third-party game (I don't think I've ever done it).

I got... an NES as a hand-me-down, so that wouldn't count. Same with SNES.
I got a Game Boy/Game Boy Colour for Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX/Oracle of Seasons.
I got an N64 for Majora's Mask (and by extension, Ocarina of Time).
I got a Wii for Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures, and The Wind Waker.
The only outlier is that I got a DS for Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents.

...Basically, Nintendo needs to release a Zelda game. :lol
It'll happen! And if it's anything like that tech demo, it will be gorgeous. (inb4 somebody compares the GC Spaceworld demo to Wind Waker just to prove me wrong)

Yeah. Too bad they don't exist yet. A minigame collection and NSMB Wii level hack running in Dolphin (in 720p) doesn't count.
As far as I care, it does. Still, I can't imagine it'd take that long for more substantial offerings to come about.

eh

it's cool I guess. too bad the fucking battery is so horrible.
I dunno, 5 hours seems like ample game time to me. It's been a good while since I've been engrossed in a console game longer than that at any one time. Just be sure to turn the brightness down; I can't say as I really need it at the default setting of 4/5, seems unnecessarily bright. Doesn't help that "Power Saving" defaults to OFF, either.

Although that picture of the tiny battery in the huge slot is kinda pathetic, yeah.

Those don't really sound like positives. Those sound like things that, besides the tablet, should've happened 7 years ago.
A full year before the Wii came out? Yes, the GameCube should've put games out in HD, no idea what Nintendo was thinking.

But seriously, I don't get this mentality. People ask for Nintendo to do this kind of thing, and then when they finally do do it, instead of being thankful they finally got around to it, the same people then continue to complain about the time they didn't do it. It's like saying Generations isn't a good game solely because 2K6 exists.

Egh, I dunno. I know I'm coming across as a disgruntled fanboy, but, well, I actually am enjoying this new console, and constantly being assailed by people saying I shouldn't be is aggravating. I don't like being told how to think, you know? Not that I should tell anyone how to think, of course.

Anth0ny

But seriously, I don't get this mentality. People ask for Nintendo to do this kind of thing, and then when they finally do do it, instead of being thankful they finally got around to it, the same people then continue to complain about the time they didn't do it. It's like saying Generations isn't a good game solely because 2K6 exists.

But they didn't do "it". It's shittier than 360 and PS3 in a lot of ways, despite coming out 7 and 6 years later respectively. That is unacceptable.

It's more like the sequel to Sonic 06 is released after years of anticipation... and it's somehow worse.
which is exactly what happened with sonic colors

Egh, I dunno. I know I'm coming across as a disgruntled fanboy, but, well, I actually am enjoying this new console, and constantly being assailed by people saying I shouldn't be is aggravating. I don't like being told how to think, you know? Not that I should tell anyone how to think, of course.

I'm not going to congratulate a company who has been lagging technology-wise for finally catching up to the competition 7 6 years later. "Good job, Nintendo! You've finally gotten HD!" That should've been said when the Wii first came out, not in 2012/13.

Emitan

Play console games in bed.

Nintendo games in HD.

Two screen console is pretty cool.

ROUND EDGED DISCS

Emitan

Having only played the demo of the original Sonic and Banjo and Rayman and Ristar and Sega All Stars Racing: Double Dash!! I didn't really know what to expect. I'm surprised at how fun the game is. A lot of the tracks are just absolutely great and are great fanservice. The Skies of Arcadia level is making me want to track down a copy of the game.

Really solid game and the online seems lag free.

The track design and variety honestly makes up for the somewhat disappointing roster for me. (I mean holy shit, Burning Rangers, who saw that coming) It's a lot harder than the foirst game, though. Haven't had my ass thoroughly kicked like this since F-Zero GX. Have ventured online (PS3 version) yet, though. Still want to unlock everyone before I do that.

As for the Wii U, well... the only reason I'd want one is for Bayonetta 2. The one thing I was hoping I'd be able to do with the tablet controller the most (VC Games in Wii mode) isn't possible, and most of the announced titles don't really interest me at all.

I'm starting off on easy mode to get used to the game and all...I wish I could change my controls though. Or...quick someone find me a 360 to N64 adapter, I would really feel comfortable playing it...=p

That's a lot of people to unlock though.

My copy won't be here until Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday.

If I am SUPER lucky, maybe tomorrow. But I doubt that!

7kxgB.jpg

Oh, well then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom