• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze is the best Sonic character since Knuckles.
Because cats are awesome and she's voiced by Laura Bailey
I don't think I'll ever be able to disassociate Laura Bailey from Lust.

At least what little I've heard of her Blaze didn't sound much like said homunculus.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...oh... we're talking about Laura Bailey in this thread...

:|

"hey guys you weren't tired of her high pitched voice in almost every game you've played in the past few years? listen to her in sonic games for a few more years lol"
Edit: I'd prefer it if she used her Lust/Kaine voice more often. She's great at her job, but man I can't stand to hear the higher pitched voices she can do because I've heard them in games and anime for years.

There've been good examples of that in the past, certainly; pretty much any soundtrack Alexander Brandon or the Follin brothers have worked on, for instance. I'm struggling to think of many non-indie-game instances of a western-developed game having memorably catchy background music this generation, though. I suppose Halo's soundtrack is pretty good, but I only ever really played the first one (and I never got any farther in that than The Library, so) - plus that's last generation. I know a lot of people laud Deus Ex: Human Revolution's soundtrack, but I seriously can't remember any of that beyond "Icarus" and the FEMA base; the first game's was miles better.
Halo's soundtracks are very good, and even better in context. I haven't listened to 4 yet, though. Was Mighty Switch Force indie? That had a rather rhythmic soundtrack, it was an easy way to measure how far virt has come in games composition, and it was one of the better ones last year. Rayman Origins' soundtrack was very catchy too. Super Stardust Delta's soundtrack isn't bad either. However, you do have a point that a lot of the rhythmic stuff comes from indie games.

I can't help but to feel like one of the most iconic BGMs of the generation is Kyd's Ezio's Family. Not completely because it's been in several AC games and was generally used to enhance the cutscene direction and was remixed several times in the Ezio games, but partially because of its movements from choral elements, a guitar, and strings, finally culminating into a climax of determination. I love that BGM a ton. :3

Edit: Semi-related: Damn, Takeshi Taneda plays a mean bass on the Sonic Generations soundtrack.

Listening to Ezio's Family has forced my hand to bring in it's alternative companion Venice Rooftops, the best remix.
I didn't really notice how good this soundtrack was when I was actually playing the game, oh I hate when that happens! It does stick a bit too much to the central theme though.
Give me some time and I might be able to rustle up some other good Western Soundtracks under the no indie ruling, maybe.

BHZ Mayor

OWG_Blaze.png

FARTY POOP FART!

Pietepiet

Our SEGAZine is nearing the submission deadline, so I finally started working on my piece. Figured I'd show a WIP here. Not close to being done, but I just wanted to show it because Bark's face came out so well:

segazine_beanbark.png

Was Mighty Switch Force indie? That had a rather rhythmic soundtrack, it was an easy way to measure how far virt has come in games composition, and it was one of the better ones last year.
I suppose "indie" is a bad phrase for what I'm thinking... not-retail-disc-titles, primarily. I'm not sure whether WayForward would count as indie or not.

I can't help but to feel like one of the most iconic BGMs of the generation is Kyd's Ezio's Family. Not completely because it's been in several AC games and was generally used to enhance the cutscene direction and was remixed several times in the Ezio games, but partially because of its movements from choral elements, a guitar, and strings, finally culminating into a climax of determination. I love that BGM a ton. :3
Never heard this before (never played Assassin's Creed), but yeah, that's pretty good, even if it kinda feels like it's trying to build up to something but never quite reaches it.

Still, I like Jesper Kyd's work (particularly his Genesis work, although his MDK2 soundtrack is great too).

Y'know, speaking of good western composers of yesteryear, I forgot Chris Hülsbeck. I only recently discovered the Turrican series's music, but seriously, it's really, really good.

TheOGB

Banned
Listening to Ezio's Family has forced my hand to bring in it's alternative companion Venice Rooftops, the best remix.
I didn't really notice how good this soundtrack was when I was actually playing the game, oh I hate when that happens! It does stick a bit too much to the central theme though.
Give me some time and I might be able to rustle up some other good Western Soundtracks under the no indie ruling, maybe.
The remix of this remix in Soul Calibur V is my favorite.

It was SC5 that reminded me of it in the first place, it was a nice tune to hear when being arrowed in the shins.

Hey I just remembered a non movie style western soundtrack from this gen on a game that comes on a disc that isn't Indie, Viva Pinata has some nice tunes, of course because it's Grant Kirkhope.
I'd say B&K Nuts and Bolts as well but the great stuff was just remixes of B&K stuff anyway

qq more

Our SEGAZine is nearing the submission deadline, so I finally started working on my piece. Figured I'd show a WIP here. Not close to being done, but I just wanted to show it because Bark's face came out so well:

segazine_beanbark.png

Awesome work so far! For some reason I can sort of see Knuckles fitting in with them. That reminds me, I can't wait for Sonic The Fighters' PSN release! It's gonna be fun fighting you SonicGAFers online :D

Pietepiet

Awesome work so far! For some reason I can sort of see Knuckles fitting in with them. That reminds me, I can't wait for Sonic The Fighters' PSN release! It's gonna be fun fighting you SonicGAFers online :D

Me too! I'm super stoked about it for some reason, haha. The announcement of that release was why I picked Bean and Bark for my SEGAZine piece :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I have to be honest, at least Sonic Team is smart in putting either relaxing or catchy music in the Knuckles/Rogue stages on Sonic Adventure 2 because I feel like pulling my heart out when it comes to finding the shards but at least the music kind of soothes me.

And I'm stuck again with emerald hunting, how in the world do I get to the second part of Rogue's first stage?

Rogue should have had saxophone jazz music.

Why? Because I decree it so.

Wow, we need more Egyptian based levels like this Eggman one, I approve. Needs more of an Egyptian themed music to go along with it though. Do you remember the time Eggman, when you were once the glorious Dr. Robotnik, master villain,moustache twirler and the world record holder for downing WD-40 by the gallon full.

I swear that second key is around here, the radar is screaming at me and there is an exclamation point over Rogue's head but I can't find the bloody key. I'm about to kick something here.

Ahhhh I figured it had to do with digging, just had to find the upgrade. I feel better now.

Eggman: My plan...blow everything up!
I respect that.

I really should get rid of this Mac so I can have a Windows PC again...I'm not a PC gamer at all but some of these with the mods would be fun to play.

Of course, OF COURSE!
de Blob! how could I forget...hang on where do the Aussies fall in this?
Well I don't care that soundtrack was RIGHTEOUS! it was SMOOTH! And most importantly of all it was EUPHORIC!

de Blob 2 was my second place for Soundtrack of the year last year so i'm surprised it took me a day to remember it, doesn't get nearly enough love on account of no one actually playing the games.

Oh yeah so about Sonic, yeah he's got attitude and stuff.

TrueBlue

I don't have a lot of ill will towards Shadow himself. I just wish he stayed dead in SA2, since that was...a pretty clear end to his story arc >_>

But no, he's the Wolverine of the series, dark and mysterious badass, has to show up everywhere.

He used to be my favourite character back in the day, but I can definitely agree with this sentiment. Still, he's been pretty inoffensive since 2006, and his fight in Generations was pretty fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pietepiet's drawing's pretty darn good!

Woke up just in time to see the Sonic balloon float by in the Thanksgiving parade on TV. Happy Turkey Day peeps!
Ohhh, I missed it. I hope they weren't playing Sonic 4 stuff! Happy American Thanksgiving, AmericaGAF!

This week was too long. Exam at 8:10 AM, finished at 8:45 AM, came home and crashed until 5. Pretty much slept 1-3 hours per day so far since Saturday, so I really needed the sleep.

Shadow Hog said:
Never heard this before (never played Assassin's Creed), but yeah, that's pretty good, even if it kinda feels like it's trying to build up to something but never quite reaches it.
It's generally supposed to be a sombre title intro theme, so I guess that's why it sounds like that.

Wright's stare of death stopped Eggman in his tracks from breaking up the pin.
You know I should enjoy that whole character wrestling thing but I can't because WWE13 is just so horrible to watch, I just want to weep for the state of wrestling games every time I look at it.

The storyline creator is the only thing i've truly enjoyed in the last 3 or 4 years of the series, unfortunately after they introduced it in 2010 it got very few new features added, but it did give me many hours of fun, more fun than the actual gameplay itself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I used to be really into it when I was younger. I think that was more because I hung around the boys way more than I did with the girls so I ended up getting into what the guys got into at the time.

I watch it from time to time now when there's nothing else on or if the bf wants to watch it. It's basically the male version of a soap opera.

Goddammit, I forgot that stream was continuing tonight. >_>

Used to be into wrestling as a kid, not much anymore now, though. Still pull out the N64 for a few games of No Mercy with friends, though.

iavi

SA2... is very good, still. All the revisionist history talk had me thinking that the Adventures had aged horribly, and for SA1 that's so true, but 2 is solid. I'm still never going to A rank everything.

SA2... is very good, still. All the revisionist history talk had me thinking that the Adventures had aged horribly, and for SA1 that's so true, but 2 is solid. I'm still never going to A rank everything.

Used to think it was horrible but I'm noticing I enjoy a lot more of it than I did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom