• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I replayed it a few years ago. I don't think it's a bad game but it could of have been soooooooooooo much better. I really do enjoy certain levels though (especially City Escape).

It definitely hasn't aged as badly as SA1, but the game still ended up worse than I remember. Probably the only of Sega's recent digital releases that I completely regret.

Sciz

Comics!

I've been pretty busy the last couple months and haven't made time to write them up like usual, so let's tear through the last four or so real quick:

Sonic #241:

-Butler's still on pencils. It shows (with certain exceptions).

-Oh look, it's the Krudzu Hybrid Hydr-wait what
--For those keeping track at home, the last time this thing showed up was the Free Comic Book Day 2010 issue, and its original form dates all the way back to issue #1. Throwbacks don't really get any older or more obscure than this.

-Meanwhile, Naugus just can't catch a break. His hemorrhoids are flaring up again, his past selves won't shut up, his apprentice is a metaphorical (and literal) skunk, and his kingdom's turned against him as quickly as it started singing his praises. He's supposed to be the villain, but I still feel sorry for the guy.

-Speaking of obscure characters: Isabella Mongoose as councilor? Yeah, didn't see that coming. Mostly because she's been in like, one panel over the last hundred issues, and barely existed before that anyway. Ian might be going somewhere with this, but I feel like it's just that she's tangentially related to the issue and it's an easy way to fill a hole without having to do any work. She and Rosemary can have blandness competitions together (and Leeta and Lyco can join too).

-Not crazy about Nicole's exile being overturned so quickly either. This whole arc has been a refreshing shakeup of the status quo, and I'm not keen on seeing it come back so soon.

-In between all the political drama, giant biomechanical robot. That's one way to change scenes, I guess.

-Okay, a few things here:
--Naugus does have a legitimately villainous personal history, even if the last several issues haven't really borne that out, and it's nice to see that being dredged back up.
--It's particularly nice to see Max finally learn from one of his many mistakes, and for Alicia to do something for once ever.
--And, in the midst of all the personal torment in the room, a tender moment. There's more emotion and meaning in three panels here than in the dozens and dozens the comic burned on these two in times past.

-Okay, Naugus, you're having a bad day. But going door to door asking your neighbors for a warm body probably isn't going to go over well.
--"There's the door. Please conjure your way through it." I don't remember exactly when Jules went and got awesome, but he is. This makes at least two of the series major villains he's straight-up talked down through sheer force of will.

-Water, ever the Krudzu's weakness. We can probably take its threat to return seriously, though.

-I'm going to miss Naugus and Geoffrey's banter when this inevitably all goes to hel-oh god there's the Tails Doll
--Naugus hates the public and I do too.

-Poor, pitiful Naugus. I couldn't tell where Ian was going with bringing him back and retroactively making Geoffrey a wizard and all that at the beginning of the arc, but it's come together beautifully in the end. They're two sides of the same coin, and make for a hell of an odd couple. Geoffrey's just known a little bit more of love and happiness over the years than Naugus. There's this agonizing turning point of potential redemption...
--and then holy shit what
---This is seriously one of the best scenes in the entire series.
----Possibly Butler's finest moment as well. The art is so good as to render the dialogue nearly superfluous.

-And then the masquerade begins. Naugus was listening after all, but oh boy was this not what Geoffrey meant.

-It's honestly a shame Sonic was in this issue. Compared to Naugus's story, Sonic's pages were pure filler.

Issue grade: Outstanding

Okay, so I still can't do a quick writeup. More later.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh darn. I've been so busy myself that I haven't had a chance to dip into my comics or manga lately either. :/

Totally agree with what you said about Sonic's role in 241, Sciz.

But with oiled-up muscle men. So better than soa operas.
Nope, some regular Soaps have oiled-up muscle men too. :p

But to be fair, I don't usually go for those.

BlackJace

The comics are getting better I swear. Not that they were ever disappointing, but the oversaturation of "betrayal" arcs got a little annoying.

qq more

Twinkle Park is great, I don't get the hate. In fact, I would rather have that stage over Speed Highway in Generations any day.

Sciz

Now I remember why I couldn't be bothered to do these lately. Sega tried to ruin a whole month.

Universe #45: Sonic & Cross-Promotional Marketing Transformed

-Interestingly, Aaron Webber aka RubyEclipse is credited along with the usual Sega licensing folks. Same goes for Sonic #242.

-It's Sonic and friends at the races, guest starring all your Sega favorites! Beat! Aiai! Vyse! Danica Patrick! Yeah, it manages to be even more awkward here than in the actual game. It's fun watching Beat and Vyse mingle. It's really weird watching Beat, Vyse, and Danica mingle. She basically vanishes after the first four pages, mandate fulfilled, but the dialogue from or referencing her up to that point is all unintentionally hilarious Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking.
--Related: Dr. Eggman's threat to her: "I'll tarnish every racing victory you've ever had!" Joke's on you, Eggman. I'd like to think this is a subversive little take that on Ian's part for having to write this.

-Anyway, blah blah Eggman's being cartoonishly villainous, racing action, whatever. The only real highlights after the intro are Beat tagging Eggman's car (and mustache) and Eggman taunting Sonic with "You're too slow!", which Sonic breaks out himself in Off-Panel.

-At least the tracks were Sky Sanctuary and Starlight Carnival.

-I wonder if Sega has a mailing address I can complain to.

Issue Grade:
430316-vlcsnap_00016_super.jpg

Sonic #242: Mr. Not-Appearing-In-This-Comic & Sonic at the Olympic Games

-Hey, it's Jamal Peppers on pencils again. He's not perfect, but he does pretty good work overall.

-Right off the bat, this is already more promising than the Universe issue was. Sonic's busy being blithely unconcerned about the difference between various round things made of gold, and Robotnik's busy pulling a scheme straight out of Sonic X, with Cubot and Orbot serving as stand-ins for Decoe and Bocoe.

-There's a fine line between the Chaotix being annoying and amusing, and fortunately we're on the latter side this month.
--Wait a tic, they're canoeing. START THE MUSIC

-This page? This is a wonderful page. The comics have a target demographic. This joke is not for them. This joke is for us.

-And just in case you thought Ian wasn't having fun yet, Marine shows up out of nowhere and Sonic starts making fun of Shadow.

-Fun little background gag: When Orbot and Cubot's suits grab Cream and Marine, Orbot does his best to look menacing. Cubot just cowers behind his hands.

-Sonic vs. Metal Sonic: Visual gags all over the place here. Sonic's jammin', Metal's slammin', and neither one wants anything to do with an Olympic-size swimming pool.

-And then we go all Sonic and the Secret (Olympic) Rings and the issue ends the only way it possibly could have.

-Wait, just kidding, there's an actual in-continuity backup story. This issue is pleasantly surprising in more ways than one.

-Unfortunately the only highlight here is Amy hijacking a Sky Chase turtle. When did Sonic's action scenes start being the boring part of the book?

-And then Nicole got full access to Haven and the surrounding substations. That could get interesting.

-Have I mentioned how very happy I am that Sonic R's Metal Knuckles design is finally back? Because I'm very happy about that.

Issue grade:
430324-vlcsnap_00027_super.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The comics are getting better I swear. Not that they were ever disappointing, but the oversaturation of "betrayal" arcs got a little annoying.
Also, the poor writing, the shitty XX Years Later stuff, making Knuckles some Avatar, etc.

The storylines were simply off-the-rocker sometimes.

Sonic #242: Mr. Not-Appearing-In-This-Comic & Sonic at the Olympic Games

-This page? This is a wonderful page. The comics have a target demographic. This joke is not for them. This joke is for us.
That just made me giggle out loud.

You can blame Penders for some of that. Trying to Marvel up the Sonic comics. That sometimes just doesn't work out that well, especially when he tries to get all mystical. Remember the freaking Source of All?

Anybody remember the name of that short black guy that was in the earlier comics that kicked the bucket (and how did he die)? I think it was Nate-something.

Also, where the hell is Professor Pickle? I'm surprised they haven't used him yet.

Sciz

Anybody remember the name of that short black guy that was in the earlier comics that kicked the bucket (and how did he die)? I think it was Nate-something.

Also, where the hell is Professor Pickle? I'm surprised they haven't used him yet.

Nate Morgan. He got roboticized, then nuked.

As for Pickle, the comic has enough trouble finding any time for Shadow and his G.U.N./UF supporting cast. Probably not seeing any other humans introduced any time soon.

I like the logo. Boxart seems kind of bland though... but bonus points for not using those awful CGI renders that's plaguing the boxarts!

I wanted something that references the original DC box of SA1; Sonic looking awesome against a beautiful background. I wanted a peaceful blue sky, the sun really adds to it.

And I didn't make the logo, everything was found via Google and put together.

I would've preferred the 3 being the same as Sonic Advance 3, since the 2 in Adventure and Advance 2 and nearly identical.

Christopher

It's a bit toooo plain for a SA3 box art. I would think you'd want the central theme on the background as well...how about fire aka Solaris? Also add Silver and Shadow to reference the 3 motif or something that looks in line with the SA2 box art.

qq more

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ok, that part of Game Grumps was funny. Outside of a few parts. I guess they have the capacity to be funny sometimes. :V

It's slipped my mind, but what's Solaris again? I know it's the final boss, but is that the thing that Iblis was the precursor for?

why am I asking about story in a Sonic game
what is this
story should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be relevant in these games
they're platformers dkfjdsoigjsoijgsojtnglknvktojr

Ok, that part of Game Grumps was funny. Outside of a few parts. I guess they have the capacity to be funny sometimes. :V

It's slipped my mind, but what's Solaris again? I know it's the final boss, but is that the thing that Iblis was the precursor for?

why am I asking about story in a Sonic game
what is this
story should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be relevant in these games
they're platformers dkfjdsoigjsoijgsojtnglknvktojr

Iblis and Mephiles were two pieces of Solaris, the God of Time. Apparently the God of Time was represented as some kind of magical candle, but the Duke of Soleanna wanted to harness its power to bring back Elise's dead mother.

Instead, he split the candle in to two halves: The Flame (Iblis), and The Shadow (Mephiles). Iblis seemed to be a dumb rampaging monster, while Mephiles was cunning. Mephiles wanted nothing more than to rejoin with Iblis, though why he bothered to do this by killing Sonic instead of doing it in the future where Iblis is already free is a mystery.

In doing so, the the then-reborn Solaris became understandably pissed and decided to devour all of space-time.

qq more

Iblis and Mephiles were two pieces of Solaris, the God of Time. Apparently the God of Time was represented as some kind of magical candle, but the Duke of Soleanna wanted to harness its power to bring back Elise's dead mother.

Instead, he split the candle in to two halves: The Flame (Iblis), and The Shadow (Mephiles). Iblis seemed to be a dumb rampaging monster, while Mephiles was cunning. Mephiles wanted nothing more than to rejoin with Iblis, though why he bothered to do this by killing Sonic instead of doing it in the future where Iblis is already free is a mystery.

In doing so, the the then-reborn Solaris became understandably pissed and decided to devour all of space-time.
God the game is so full of holes

OMG Aero

trap sprung

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Right, I remember now--the whole bit with the candle in the ending and the Duke using the power to bring back Elise's mom. Thanks. Maybe I should replay it to NOPE.

As for the bolded: they needed to find a way to make this a Sonic game rather than a Shadow/Silver game (given that Silver's an idiot from the future and Mephiles took on Shadow's guise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom