• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxic Caves and The Machine were awesome. Lava Powerhouse, less awesome. The Showdown is asodishjdogfihguf

But seriously, I like The Machine a lot, if only because there aren't too many places you can easily die. Lava Powerhouse is similar, but IIRC you get dropped down to your near-death if you botch the boss up (it's escapable, of course, but I recall my first time with it kinda put me off falling down there in general; good thing the boss isn't too hard), and the whole level feels depressingly oppressive. Toxic Caves has more places you can die, but I like that barrel secret (seriously, I don't bother doing the minecarts three times anymore - that center emerald is always the first one I nab). Showdown is just hell, seemingly designed for a physics system much better than the game it's in contains, and requiring you to line up tricky shots no less than five times each to get anywhere in the level.

Toxic Caves was the best level in the game, nothing could be topped. I have to wonder just what is in that liquid? I mean if he even puts a foot in it, he's as good as dead. What is in that stuff exactly? That boss music was pretty stellar though...I should try beating it again!

Barrel secret...what barrel secret? I'm just wondering if it's the one I figured out as a kid.

Spinball sucks, though maybe i'll give it a spin (aha!) later on to reconfirm my theory.
Next you people are going to start discussing your favourite Sonic Labyrinth stages aren't you? I want no part of this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
All I remember about Sonic Spinball was that sewer level.

Apparently there was stuff after that level but I was too occupied with Sonic 3 and Knuckles to care.
This was me for years.
KuGsj.gif

And it's not nearly as slow, boring and closed in.
The only similarities I see are the name and theme combo, that aside they're like night and day, one has you zooming around on flying discs and zipping across the maze like network of steep hills, the other makes you push stone blocks and avoid crushers in tight tunnels.

Hey guys I don't know if you noticed but I really hate Marble Zone.
I think the subject came up a long time ago (March? I think it's March because that's when the Retro thread surfaced) in this thread and most people ended up disliking Marble Zone a lot. Like, the best things about it are the music and colour palette. But the level design and general slowness of the level doesn't make it fun to go through.

Take this from Retro, for instance:

p14ud.png

Look at that level design. It's boring as hell. Lots of obstructions, only one path, pushing blocks to make things go, gotta go slow to get through the level without screwing up...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not sure which Labyrinth Zone Act I find more bothersome: 2 or 3. The first act has this massive shortcut, after all.

The second one, though? So much water.

the third one has spikes spikes everywhere

But with that said, I don't think it's my least favourite Genesis/CD-era zone.

Just threw on the Mega Drive Collection to play some of Sonic Spinball, went into the options before starting and...
OWW, MY FREAKING EARS!
Played the game, got a game over in like 8 minutes, this game is feces, I mean Pinball isn't something i'm fond of anyway but in the attempt to spice it up they just went and made it a lot harder to play effectively and confusing to boot, damn it sonic, fling yourself where I tell you to!

So instead I thought about playing through Sonic 1 again and suffer through Marble Zone. Instead though I opened up a save state right at Final Zone, expecting to just give it a whirl, die and then play something else I then discovered the winning formula to this fight, it's a long and tedious formula that had me waiting a full minute and a half to land the final hit because Robotnik refused to go on the right side of the screen for like 10 appearances but I finally did it, I finally beat Sonic 1.
YEEEAAAAAH!
Now if I can just go beat that stupid robot in Sonic 2 i'll be just gravy.

...I opened up a save state right at Final Zone, expecting to just give it a whirl, die and then play something else I then discovered the winning formula to this fight, it's a long and tedious formula that had me waiting a full minute and a half to land the final hit because Robotnik refused to go on the right side of the screen for like 10 appearances but I finally did it, I finally beat Sonic 1.
YEEEAAAAAH!
Now if I can just go beat that stupid robot in Sonic 2 i'll be just gravy.
You've never beaten Final Zone? It's not an especially easy fight, but it's not particularly hard; just stay on the right side of the screen and hit Eggman if he shows up on either of the two crushers on the right, then move to the center for the lightning balls and rush to the right as they descend. Repeat until finished.

You've never beaten Final Zone? It's not an especially easy fight, but it's not particularly hard; just stay on the right side of the screen and hit Eggman if he shows up on either of the two crushers on the right, then move to the center for the lightning balls and rush to the right as they descend. Repeat until finished.

No, I just did beat Final Zone is what I was saying and yes that was the exact tactic I used, I initially thought the balls were far stronger with their homing when I first played it, upon seeing the truth I overcame the odds.

Clydefrog

Just threw on the Mega Drive Collection to play some of Sonic Spinball, went into the options before starting and...
OWW, MY FREAKING EARS!
Played the game, got a game over in like 8 minutes, this game is feces, I mean Pinball isn't something i'm fond of anyway but in the attempt to spice it up they just went and made it a lot harder to play effectively and confusing to boot, damn it sonic, fling yourself where I tell you to!

lol now I feel bad for posting about Sonic Spinball

I do a lot of hating in this thread, so time to lighten the mood:

I like Sonic Advance 1, even if the physics aren't right, and it's about as vanilla as Blue Bell.

edit: Guys, I'm pretty sure the opening level of Spinball is the entire game.

The Saturn version of 3D Blast must be a big improvement then, the MD version is so boring I wished I were playing Sonic Blast which is at least sort of entertaining in its sheer awfulness.

The Saturn version of 3D Blast must be a big improvement then, the MD version is so boring I wished I were playing Sonic Blast which is at least sort of entertaining in its sheer awfulness.
It's the same game with prettier graphics and a (debatably) better soundtrack. Only thing that changed, gameplay-wise, is that the special stages aren't utter shit now (in fact, they're arguably one of the best set the series has). I've heard the NiGHTS pad introduces analog controls, but I never really bothered to confirm. Either way, if you weren't sold on 3D Blast to begin with, it won't change your mind. I just happen to like 3D Blast in the first place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We can all agree that the Game Gear Blast was shite, right?

Saturn and Genesis versions aren't completely bad when you take that version into account, but I think that was the point when I started feeling a little disappointed with the series for some reason (ie: "I don't like change...!").

New Sonic Unleashed Generations video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUzZI59lIs

Empire City! Real glad to see the bit with the cars - that was a really smart way to handle that section, and I always wanted to run along the roads with cars on them in the actual game.
http://youtu.be/bYUzZI59lIs

New Generations Unleashed video. Empire City! Love the edits to the Chaser and Goal Ring sections
How did I miss this? :O

Corners look soooooo much better to drift on now.

It's the same game with prettier graphics and a (debatably) better soundtrack. Only thing that changed, gameplay-wise, is that the special stages aren't utter shit now (in fact, they're arguably one of the best set the series has). I've heard the NiGHTS pad introduces analog controls, but I never really bothered to confirm. Either way, if you weren't sold on 3D Blast to begin with, it won't change your mind. I just happen to like 3D Blast in the first place.
I figured as much but part of me wanted to believe, soundtrack does sound better though.

Saturn and Genesis versions aren't completely bad when you take that version into account, but I think that was the point when I started feeling a little disappointed with the series for some reason (ie: "I don't like change...!").
Thing is the change adds nothing positive, it's just a slow paced enemy hunt around uninteresting areas with dodgy and flawed isometric platforming.
Of course this is just my opinion, if i've learnt anything from my trip to Sonic Gaf today it's that I find all the early spin off games pretty bad, Tails Adventure is probably the best of them but i've never really given it a chance so no real opinions either way on that one.

So who here likes Sonic Drift 1 and 2? or Tails Sky Patrol? I know I don't but at this point i'm expecting someone to say that they do.

And of course GG Blast was shite but i'd still sooner play that one.

How did I miss this? :O

Corners look soooooo much better to drift on now.

I think they were trying to go the DKC route. If they worked a bit harder at it, it would have came out looking wonderful!

A ranking Sonic stages in SA1 is pretty fun, just pure speed running really with the overpowered spindash jump.
Big the Cat A ranks on the other hand, yeah that's pretty bad.

Big the Cat A ranks on the other hand, yeah that's pretty bad.

If there ever was a more pointless character in a game I haven't seen him.

You make a game about going fast and you put in this ONE character, who happens to specialize in the most SLOW AND BORING past time ever devised by man.

What the hell sonic team.

Someone somewhere would try and say that Big's stages are about relaxing, kicking back and having a pleasant break from all the speed.
I will say to that person that they're full of poop.

Someone somewhere would try and say that Big's stages are about relaxing, kicking back and having a pleasant break from all the speed.
I will say to that person that they're full of poop.

I can see why someone would say that, but isn't that what Field Stages are for?

I mean, I just don't get it.

I thought A ranking everything would be worse. How hard can raising Chao be? It's not like trying to get a Gold Chocobo in FF7!

Getting a Gold Chocobo is easy as fuck. At least the minigames surrounding them are fun and you have some semblance of control. You're completely at the mercy of the AI when it comes to those little CHao shitheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom