• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a Gold Chocobo is easy as fuck. At least the minigames surrounding them are fun and you have some semblance of control. You're completely at the mercy of the AI when it comes to those little CHao shitheads.

I thought it was a huge drag. I tried to do it but gave up and did it the easier way, which was beating Ruby. Well I beat him the very long and boring way but still..

I know people who love them and I value their opinions so ixnay to you, IXNAY!
Bias

I can see why someone would say that, but isn't that what Field Stages are for?

I mean, I just don't get it.
Does anyone ever play through Sonic Adventure and think "cor blimey this speed is tearing my retinas to shreds, I better dive into some Big the Cat fishing to unwind and chill out before tackling the next fun stage"? they'd die if they played Sonic 2.
Not only do we have the field areas but there's other characters with some lighter gameplay anyway, Big is just one big "why?", were Sega testing out fishing mechanics for their upcoming Sega Bass Fishing 2?

I thought it was a huge drag. I tried to do it but gave up and did it the easier way, which was beating Ruby. Well I beat him the very long and boring way but still..

I have never beaten Ruby or Emerals, I got a gold chocobo the legit way.

I thought it was fun personally.

Also fuck Joe and Teioh.

We can all agree that the Game Gear Blast was shite, right?
Never played it enough to form an opinion, but what I've seen hasn't exactly instilled me with confidence.

Saturn and Genesis versions aren't completely bad when you take that version into account, but I think that was the point when I started feeling a little disappointed with the series for some reason (ie: "I don't like change...!").
Eh, I didn't really start feeling disappointed in the series until Heroes. Maybe Shuffle, I hated that game, but I liked Adventure 2 immediately following, so eh.

So who here likes Sonic Drift 1 and 2? or Tails Sky Patrol? I know I don't but at this point i'm expecting someone to say that they do.
I can't say as Drift or Drift 2 really do anything for me. I recall really really wanting Drift 2 as a kid, but I never ended up getting it. Just as well; it's kind of like an impotent Outrun kind of game, all things considered. Sorry, but I can't see circuits with that kind of game, I just see myself driving endlessly forward, with some twists in the road. Mario Kart it ain't.

I love the concept of SkyPatrol, but the only time I played through it was a save-scumming experience of the highest order. It's just kinda eh. Interesting how they opted to use a bunch of original characters as the villains instead of Eggman. I mean, Witchcart? I won't say it's genius (it's kinda dumb actually), but I find the idea amusing as heck. Same goes for Tails Adventure with the Battlekukku Army, I suppose, but they're not as bizarre as seriously going with a witch for a big bad. A witch. On a cart.

I think they were trying to go the DKC route. If they worked a bit harder at it, it would have came out looking wonderful!
The Saturn/PC version do look wonderful! Sonic's the right shade of blue and everything (unlike that ugly cyan-ish shade the Genesis version has him at). Really good-looking for a game entirely using pre-rendered art assets.

Getting all emblems in SA1 feels like much less of a pain than SA2.
Probably because you're not being ranked against your score, which resets to 0 the instant you die and often times demands perfect play in order to achieve that A rank. You just have to fulfill the requirements: beat the stage, beat it with 50 rings, beat it within X amount of time. Not easy, but a lot less esoteric.

I actually do have a soft spot for Drift 2, but that's more because I have fond memories of playing it on car trips as a little kid. I fully acknowledge it as a bad game, though.

I'm still holding out for my Chronicles sequel, it ended on a cliffhanger guys!
A very poor cliffhanger but a cliffhanger none the less.

Imagine a sequel to the soundtrack of the generation, maybe Sonic 4 tracks done in the unique Sonic Chronicles style.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If we ever get a Mario x Sonic RPG or platformer, then I swear to never post Nocturne ever again for as long as I live.
You know you wouldn't be able to resist.

Shadow Hog said:
Eh, I didn't really start feeling disappointed in the series until Heroes. Maybe Shuffle, I hated that game, but I liked Adventure 2 immediately following, so eh.
I think what I valued the most about the Genesis/CD Sonic games were the vibrant colour palette and the level design being on a 2D plane. So when 3D Blast kind of went away from that (and I didn't like how 3D Blast looked very much either), I felt disappointed with where the series was going.

tiggerkiddo said:
It's not like trying to get a Gold Chocobo in FF7!
One of the easiest sidequests in all of Final Fantasy? More like, "trying to get a Zodiac Spear in FF12!"

:(

Did ANYBODY beat that first boss of Sonic 2 GG when they were a kid, or did I just suck ass

also, read that Five Pillars of Final Fantasy article for a laugh, apparently FF was pretty ugly until blocky lego people in FFVII

BlackJace

I'm still holding out for my Chronicles sequel, it ended on a cliffhanger guys!
A very poor cliffhanger but a cliffhanger none the less.

Imagine a sequel to the soundtrack of the generation, maybe Sonic 4 tracks done in the unique Sonic Chronicles style.

I remember a "leak" about a Gamestop inventory console having "Sonic RPG2: Reign of Lord Robotnik" or something. Thought it sounded legit considering (Chronicles spoiler)
when the gang returns, Eggman had already taken over everything

Did ANYBODY beat that first boss of Sonic 2 GG when they were a kid, or did I just suck ass

I am embarassed to say I never even got past the second stage of Sonic 2 or S3&K so I can't talk.

Man I was bad at video games as a kid.

Or it was more like I was too busy doing whatever the hell I wanted rather than play the game properly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was honestly terrible at it when I was really young and playing it within the first year of getting it.

also, read that Five Pillars of Final Fantasy article for a laugh, apparently FF was pretty ugly until blocky lego people in FFVII
That article pissed me the fuck off.

Just... ugh, I'm irritated with their fucking ignorance. Saying something like that is a slap in the face to every single person working on art design/dungeon design/cutscene direction in the 2D games. They need to get their heads out of their asses and stop being so fucking pretentious.

You know you wouldn't be able to resist.

I think what I valued the most about the Genesis/CD Sonic games were the vibrant colour palette and the level design being on a 2D plane. So when 3D Blast kind of went away from that (and I didn't like how 3D Blast looked very much either), I felt disappointed with where the series was going.

One of the easiest sidequests in all of Final Fantasy? More like, "trying to get a Zodiac Spear in FF12!"

:(

Don't touch 4 treasure chests and you're good...pretty simple to me! I think trying to get the Danjuro dagger or getting a level 99 Chocobo to spawn was much much harder

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chrono Trigger is apparently ugly now

Hold dat shit, Toriyama. SE has spoken.
I need to buy some alcohol/brain bleach to cleanse myself of reading that garbage.

This just in: 2D games are fucking ugly. All of them!

tiggerkiddo said:
Don't touch 4 treasure chests and you're good...pretty simple to me! I think trying to get the Danjuro dagger or getting a level 99 Chocobo to spawn was much much harder
But I want to open as many treasure chests as I can. ;__;

"Summoning" is an odd choice. It's only been a major plot point in FF6, 8, 9, 10, and 13, unless I'm forgetting something.

As for "refinement," I don't really know. All of these games have battle systems that, if you understand them well enough, break easily, and FF13's didn't seem "refined" to me at all when my characters automatically and uncontrollably ran into explosions during battle.

Guys stop fretting about Squeenix. Once they release Versus, you all will be kissing up to them anyways!

All of you. Every single living one of you. Every fiber of your being, every bit of your soul, all of it will be crying out tears of gladness, joy and amazement at what Versus will be. Angels singing on high will be nothing compared to that exploding cry of ecstasy from gamers everywhere.

Guys stop fretting about Squeenix. Once they release Versus,

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

Yeah, with a Chrono Trigger 2 demo pack-in. No random battles, no filler, ATB 3.0 system

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kotaku don't be knowing about my Garou Mark of the Wolves.

Garoufreemanbglite.gif

Just look at it....just....they don't know.
That such a good-looking game. Pushed the Neo Geo, TOP was interesting... remember when SNK was hot shit?

We can relate this to Sonic right? Look how ugly the 2D Sonic games are.

8Ht6I.png
h6i4q.png

2s8HY.png
Fab7b.png

Disgusting.

FF13's didn't seem "refined" to me at all when my characters automatically and uncontrollably ran into explosions during battle.
I couldn't stand that. It's awful that you couldn't customize character positioning in FF13.

tiggerkiddo said:
Guys stop fretting about Squeenix. Once they release Versus, you all will be kissing up to them anyways!
I don't care about Versus at all outside of possibly the art assets for the areas, and the details that it uses KH-like combat isn't enticing in the least. I think I was interested in the game for 3 months after the DK Sigma trailer and after that, I stopped caring.

Also idonotcareforshimomuraatalloutsideofheroldstuffand2oststhisgen

I stopped really caring about Versus because if I've learned anything from current gen Square-Enix, it's that they'll find some way to fuck it up.

I like how this whole thread got all depressed and went on an epic bender down to Vegas, and got even more hammered on Gin and Haterade. Bunch of glass half empty folk in here...Cross is a great game!

Yall haters need some joy in your life...I'm here to deliver it!

Your Deliverance!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There are times when I'm happy they removed that from the store...

What were they thinking? Ugh, and the music was replaced and everything... -_-

Nope, but spritework should never be a part of this world. That's why Mega Man is dead. These were the end of him:

Chrono Trigger 2 is Radical Dreamers.
Fixed. Chrono Cross was a reimagining of Radical Dreamers.

BlackJace

I like how this whole thread got all depressed and went on an epic bender down to Vegas, and got even more hammered on Gin and Haterade. Bunch of glass half empty folk in here...Cross is a great game!

Eh, its not that Cross is a bad game (it's not), but it's not Chrono Trigger 2. Not at all.

I started appreciating Cross more once I learned to look at it as a game that takes place in the world of CT but isn't necessarily a direct sequel. It's... a lot easier to stomach when you don't try to tie it with CT. >_>

Then Chrono Trigger DS' extra bosses came along...

TheOGB

Banned
I tried playing Chrono Trigger DS once

I skipped some shit, paused it as soon as I could and ended up turning it off hours later after remembering I left it on

I started playing it because I was listening to the song by The OneUps

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah the music is frickin amazing.

and that annoys me now, if only for petty reasons. Friend used to run a Video Game Music contest on another website every year, eventually we just had to retire Time's Scar because it winning too often and it made it boring. Every year boiled down to "who get's to lose to Time's Scar this time around"

qq more

All of you. Every single living one of you. Every fiber of your being, every bit of your soul, all of it will be crying out tears of gladness, joy and amazement at what Versus will be. Angels singing on high will be nothing compared to that exploding cry of ecstasy from gamers everywhere.

but I don't care about final fantasy!

qq more

Sonic CD looks MUCH better in motion. It really does look damn busy in snapshots though. It's not the best looking Sonic game but it certainly does not look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom