• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Still not entirely sure how this ruined the Advance sprites for people so much. Some of the best animation on GBA.

It's just that after seeing those sprites being used soooooo many times they just become stale. Not to mention the abuse the sprites gets, ugh.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the sprites themselves are amazing.

The Anthology? Oh yes, that's an absolute buy.

For some reason I was sure this didn't come out over here like numerous other compilations that drift by PAL Land (hell Mega Man has a hat trick on this front) but it seems I just assumed it did.
Apparently I was wrong which leads me to think that somehow the collection on wii at least was not well received? crap controls apparently, well there's also a PSP version.
I may dive into this then at some point if it's good enough to kick off with.

Played a little of the first zone in Ep. II. Not really feeling it much at all. Kinda doubting it gets better.
For some reason I was sure this didn't come out over here like numerous other compilations that drift by PAL Land (hell Mega Man has a hat trick on this front) but it seems I just assumed it did.
Apparently I was wrong which leads me to think that somehow the collection on wii at least was not well received? crap controls apparently, well there's also a PSP version.
I may dive into this then at some point if it's good enough to kick off with.
It was okay, but the versions outside of Japan removed Classic Controller support for whatever reason.

Here's some more codes. Again, it's for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices.

i7ccU.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
What does SonicGAF think of the new Allstar Racing game that came out?

Racing itself is good, but unlocking things is very tedious and the difficulty of the CPU is way too high. The menus aren't as quick and slick as the first title, and there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

It feels like it's kinda rushed, but I would imagine some of that is due the game being ported to every system.

Racing itself is good, but unlocking things is very tedious and the difficulty of the CPU is way too high. The menus aren't as quick and slick as the first title, and there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

It feels like it's kinda rushed, but I would imagine some of that is due the game being ported to every system.

qq more

Advance 2 is garbage too. I can't comment on 3 because it's been years since I last played it but I remember enjoying it after the first two crappy zones. I like Advance 1, it aged mostly well... except for Egg Rocket.

qq more

This might be an unpopular opinion here....but I think Sonic 2006 is a bad game.

WHAT?! 2006 HAS AN EPIC STORY YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUE SONIC FANS WILL ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE GAMES EVEN WHEN THEYRE BAD!!!!!

ALSO MICROSOFT RUSHED SEGA

BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!

Advance 2 is garbage too. I can't comment on 3 because it's been years since I last played it but I remember enjoying it after the first two crappy zones. I like Advance 1, it aged mostly well... except for Egg Rocket.

Egg Rocket's probably my favorite thing about Advance 1, actually. (Agreed on the other Advance games though, I don't really like them.)

I wonder what a Sonic Team developed 3DS/Vita game would be like. I don't think ST in any of its incarnations over the years have ever worked on a traditional handheld Sonic title.

Advance 2 gets a lot of flak for run run run but it had some fun levels to romp through and one of the most fun levels around in Music Plant.

And Advance 1 has Spy Base!

And all the tunes in the Advance trilogy are awesome.

Kokonoe

Banned
qq more your hatred towards so many things has even gotten Sega1991 to say something.

Advance 2 gets a lot of flak for run run run but it had some fun levels to romp through and one of the most fun levels around in Music Plant.

Egg Rocket Zone

Great music is great.

Now Sonic Rush is garbage. It has the most bland and worst choice of levels since CD. At least the music there is good.

And Kokonoe knows good music.

qq more

Music Plant is awesome. I think it's the only level I like in that game. The only other level I might of have liked was Techno Base but it's been a damn while since I last played that level. The music in general was a huge step up from Advance 1. Hot Crater may be a boring level but it sure has kick ass music. Advance 1's music ranges from okay to great, some of it sounded a bit boring but I'm not sure what it is. Songs like Secret Base, Angel Island and Egg Rocket (as much as I hate the level) are really good though. Advance 3's OST though is probably one of the best of the series overall, at least post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Well, I think you're garbage!
If it wasn't for Sky Canyon and the special rings then the game would been just bland. Otherwise, garbage!

qq more your hatred towards so many things has even gotten Sega1991 to say something.
What can I say? I love hatin'.

...Kind of.

Now Sonic Rush is garbage. It has the most bland and worst choice of levels since CD. At least the music there is good.

I hated Sonic Rush's music the first time I heard them because they were so weird... but then they grew on me. Really damn catchy soundtrack.

Kokonoe

Banned

Thank you. I'm actually quite fond of most (almost all) music in the platformer Sonic games. I kinda feel like running through Advance 1-3 right now. Think I'll do that as FF2 is = my death currently.

Seganauts... recommend me a Virtual Console games for the Genesis/MD.

Ristar
The game Sonic Team made after Sonic & Knuckles. The opressed people of the Valdi system pray to the legendary hero, but instead their cries for help fall on the ears of the Hero's son, Ristar. Ristar can grab objects with his hands and throw himself around arenas. The game starts out simple enough but starts to get unruly difficult near the end, if you ask me.

Toejam & Earl
Basically a Roguelike without all the RPG stuff getting in the way. Two space aliens roam an isometric earth picking up presents (with randomized contents) in an effort to find and assemble their spaceship so they can get back to the planet Funkotron. Very low key, kind of a slow burn, but way fun. Has split screen co-op.

Beyond Oasis
Take the Legend of Zelda but mix it with the influence of Anime, Aladdin and other Eastern cultures. A boy finds a magic gauntlet that can summon elemental guardians and must harness their power to protect the land from a growing evil.

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Everybody always cites Revenge of Shinobi, but for me, this is the best Shinobi game, just for the amazing controls. With a three button setup, Joe Mushashi has a hell of a lot of moves from wall kicks to double jumps, sword strikes and ninja stars. Pretty short, though - I think you can finish the game in under an hour if you're good enough (but, of course, as with a lot of games that star Ninjas, Shinobi 3 is pretty difficult - though not as difficult as Ninja Gaiden).

Vector Man
A late-era gem, Vector Man was the closest thing Sega had to an answer to Donkey Kong Country. Vector Man really pushes the Genesis' strengths in being able to render a bunch of sprites on screen at the same time - all of the characters are "orbots" - robots made up of multiple spheres that move independently, and the game uses this to its advantage for some pretty impressive visual effects. A pretty cool shooter, too, though it devolves in to minigames a little too often (if you can pass the weird train minigame it's smooth sailing for the rest of the game).

Pulseman
Before Pokemon, Gamefreak made Pulseman, a side scrolling action game about a superhero who can transform in to a bolt of electricity and travel through wires. To be honest, I've never gotten very far in this because it's kind of difficult, but I hear everybody else rave about it all the time. This VC release is also notable because it was a game that only ever got released in Japan, but ended up getting released in English-speaking territories exclusively for VC.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright, replaying Sonic Advance 2 (I never beat it) and I'm actually changing my view on it a bit.

This game isn't actually as bad as I once felt it was. I suppose playing the Sonic Rush games and Sonic Colors DS along with Generations has given me a better way to view this game. It's essentially these types of games just you don't need to boost to go fast which is kinda nice. I also have gotten over the fact that this is different game essentially than the first.

Level design is entertaining to me at least until the Music Plant which looks nice and colorful, but it has some spotty designs when it comes to the spikes. Like spikes that just won't go away, pop up in random areas, or they are right next to the air exhaust pipe things. Gosh I dislike those monkeys that kick the spheres. Also, there's a certain point where there's a spike, a bumper, and a bell enemy at the top and it's kinda hard to get past that part and right after you do you run into a monkey. Other than that, though, it's not that bad just Music Plant has some poor choices with spikes and enemy placement.

Bosses in this game however are just as horrible as I remember, but as for the non-boss parts, I'm actually enjoying myself. Currently about to play Ice Paradise.

Oh, and I kinda like that sound the springs make in Music Plant where it's like "brrroing!".

-edit-

Wow, Ice Paradise is pretty fun. My favorite level so far.

Also nice music.

Ice Paradise Act 1

Ice Paradise Act 2

Onto Sky Canyon.

Kokonoe

Banned
Bad enemy placement is prevalent in these games alot.

Sky Canyon is a juniorized version of Altitude Limit sadly.

I never played Altitude Limit, but this Sky Canyon level I have just exhausted over 30 lives and I haven't made it too far in the level yet. I was enjoying the game but this level is riddled with deathpits and confusion.

I played as Cream just now and the game is a lot easier when you play as her, I kinda feel like the game revolves around all the other characters besides Sonic. Perhaps I'll playthrough all the levels again as Cream so I have chance at beating Sky Canyon.

There has never been a more greater win button in the history of gaming than Cream.

Yea Sky Canyon is that bad and Altitude Limit is twice as bad.

Pietepiet

I always found Sky Canyon to be a nice challenge. It taught me how to use the trick system to my advantage, and it was a nice change of pace from the other levels where you really can just hold right for the most of it.

Maybe I should get back to Advance 2 and get all the Chaos Emeralds......oh god...

I am currently trying to talk myself out of buying Sonic the Fighters HD.

I have Sonic Gems on the Gamecube. I played it as recently as Saturday. The StF port in Gems is a great port. Done by AM2 themselves personally. Even plays well on a Gamecube controller, which is notoriously unfriendly to fighting games.

But the XBLA version lets you play as Eggman and Metal Sonic and Honey the Cat. AND it has online multiplayer. I've never played StF with anyone else before except maybe my cousin one time, and he'd never played the game before so it wasn't even really a challenge.

But I only have 420msp left. If I buy StF, I won't have enough to buy anything else until well after Christmas.

Hrrrgh.

qq more

Maybe I should get back to Advance 2 and get all the Chaos Emeralds......oh god...

DON'T DO IT

On a side note, I can't remember much of Ice Paradise other than the fact I kept dying in this one pit which made me become bitter. I guess I'll have to replay it sometime. I like the level's visuals and songs though, they're very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom