• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do that?

Yeah, beating Cortex does nothing other than boot the credits, and the percentage is based on gems/keys collected, so you can totally get everything without fighting the final boss. You can even see the credits, thanks to the penultimate level leading to the hidden ending if you have all the gems. Fucking bizarre, considering that final fight is pretty neat. Thankfully the sequels fixed that plus the need for backtracking.

why the fuck are you playing the original Crash when the 2 sequels are much better, is the real question

Curiosity's sake. I 105%'d Crash 3 ages ago, and just got the first two games recently on a whim. And holy COW is Crash 2 an improvement. I do appreciate the extra challenge of Crash 1 though, even if it does mostly come from the ridiculous length of levels and the need to beat them without dying.

Sorely missing the Dualshock support from Warped though. :(

Sciz

SonicGAF is best community GAF.

Sonic has such personality in this one and it's kinda nice to see that, and the voice acting is pretty good too. I think I'm rather enjoying this story and that's why I continue to play, and the intro CG was pretty nice. I like the humor in this so far because it isn't over the top, it's more witty.

Black Knight's definitely one of the more successful stories in the franchise. It's nice and focused, and maintains a good balance of light and dark without falling off into the great pits of stupid like so many of its predecessors.

Shame about the actual game, but oh well.

I was playing Crash 2 earlier this year with a friend and after going past the halfway point we both felt it had run out of tricks and stopped, I wouldn't call it bad but I always felt it was pretty basic as far as platformers go, limited by the way the stages are set up as essentially corridors that might sometimes shift to sidescrolling.
It always felt more evading focused than most other platformers, though that might be because I don't trust that spin attack.

I was playing Crash 2 earlier this year with a friend and after going past the halfway point we both felt it had run out of tricks and stopped, I wouldn't call it bad but I always felt it was pretty basic as far as platformers go, limited by the way the stages are set up as essentially corridors that might sometimes shift to sidescrolling.
It always felt more evading focused than most other platformers, though that might be because I don't trust that spin attack.

That's just Crash, it was the fifth-gen platformer that most closely resembled those of the SNES/Mega Drive days. It's basic, sure, but I like it for that. The corridor feel is something that never bothered me- it stops it from being a god tier platformer, but Crash is satisfying enough to control (in 2/3 anyway) that it makes for a fun, breezy time.

And yeah, the spin attack seems a lot less useful in this one. It's all about that slide. I know Crash 3 has more even usage of Crash's skills, neither slide nor spin seems to get more favour than the other in that one.

Crash Team Racing is the best game in the series, anyway. I know it's unfair to compare a kart racer to a platformer, but even the standards of voice acting, graphics and music were better in CTR than any of the "main" games- that's a trick I'd like to see Mario Kart pull off one day...

I remember finding one of the secret levels in Warped by complete accident (The one where you have to crash into a road sign) and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

SonicGAF is best community GAF.

Most definitely.

Crash Team Racing is the best game in the series, anyway. I know it's unfair to compare a kart racer to a platformer, but even the standards of voice acting, graphics and music were better in CTR than any of the "main" games- that's a trick I'd like to see Mario Kart pull off one day...

I think this is how I feel about CTR relative to the rest of the series, too. I can play all four games and still enjoy them, but Crash Team Racing's the definitive Crash game for me.

Kokonoe

Banned
Not really into Crash Bandicoot but I don't miss out on Kart Racers, I'll give CTR a shot.

Black Knight's definitely one of the more successful stories in the franchise. It's nice and focused, and maintains a good balance of light and dark without falling off into the great pits of stupid like so many of its predecessors.

Shame about the actual game, but oh well.

I think it's okay gameplay, nothing great, but passable I guess. It's just not like Sonic 2006 or Secret Rings as I've seen in other comparisons. You can actually control Sonic a lot better in this title compared to Secret Rings, and using the analog stick helps that too. However, once again the gameplay is nothing to a shake a wiimote at. It seems budget-like. The story for me feels worth it and I agree with your sentiments. It really is a bit surprising for me to see a Sonic story like this, and Sonic acting less 100% Hero-like.

That's just Crash, it was the fifth-gen platformer that most closely resembled those of the SNES/Mega Drive days. It's basic, sure, but I like it for that. The corridor feel is something that never bothered me- it stops it from being a god tier platformer, but Crash is satisfying enough to control (in 2/3 anyway) that it makes for a fun, breezy time.

And yeah, the spin attack seems a lot less useful in this one. It's all about that slide. I know Crash 3 has more even usage of Crash's skills, neither slide nor spin seems to get more favour than the other in that one.

Crash certainly has some fun to it I wont deny, hell I've managed to squeeze some fun out of the genuinely mediocre at best Wrath of Cortex, the series sticking to the linear platforming stage approach in a generation where everyone ripped off SM64 but forgot about the platforming and heaped on the collectables also helps it stand out a bit when looking back.
It's just a shame that not much seemed to be done with the whole 3D part of the platforming experience which limits it.

I was really late to trying CTR, colour me surprised at how solid it holds up, better than its N64/PS1 contenders i'd say. Plus you can play as Ripper Roo which just makes my day.

I kind of wish Sonic racing had some of the zany weapons from CTR...half the time I didn't know what I just shot at the guy ahead of me but I know it would hurt...

Not really into Crash Bandicoot but I don't miss out on Kart Racers, I'll give CTR a shot.

You're in for a treat. CTR is one of the very best- I only rate MKDS higher than it. So much content for what it is.

And yeah, Sonic Racing has some lame ass power-ups. Interestingly, CTR has the only version of the "blue shell" I can stand- a minor shock that hits everyone in front of you, rather than nuking 1st place and maybe hitting people on the way.

I was really late to trying CTR, colour me surprised at how solid it holds up, better than its N64/PS1 contenders i'd say. Plus you can play as Ripper Roo which just makes my day.

Yeah, I can't think of many kart racers from that era that hold up as well content and presentation wise. Game looks legitimately good when played on a PSP, too. (Granted, the same can be said for a lot of PS1 games on PSP, but still.)

Kokonoe

Banned
I kind of wish Sonic racing had some of the zany weapons from CTR...half the time I didn't know what I just shot at the guy ahead of me but I know it would hurt...
Yeah, Transformed's items are rather lackluster in terms of potency compared to the first game. Glad to see there appears to be some interesting ones in this title.

You're in for a treat. CTR is one of the very best- I only rate MKDS higher than it. So much content for what it is.

And yeah, Sonic Racing has some lame ass power-ups. Interestingly, CTR has the only version of the "blue shell" I can stand- a minor shock that hits everyone in front of you, rather than nuking 1st place and maybe hitting people on the way.

Funny you say that because Mario Kart DS is my favorite Mario Kart game. I know people dislike the whole snaking thing, but I actually enjoy it myself. I'm actually really into kart racers and play all types of them, even that strange Nexon MMO that was out a long time ago called "Kart Racer". Guess I will give it a shot, maybe try it on a emulator for HD. I heard there was some kind of story mode, is that true?

Yeah, there's a story mode- there's like 4 hub worlds you travel through, and there's a bunch of different challenges per track, plus boss races (you won't care about this but they bring back a bunch of Crash 1 characters and it's the best). Plus there's standard Grand Prix stuff like MK. It's pretty cool.

It's like 5 bucks on PSN I think, if you've got a PS3 (or a Vita/PSP I guess).

Mario Kart DS was the last great MK game in my eyes. I wonder if it's still active online these days.

With that said, Crash Team Racing, All Stars Transformed and Mario Kart DS probably make for my Top 3 kart racers.

TheOGB

Banned
Crash certainly has some fun to it I wont deny, hell I've managed to squeeze some fun out of the genuinely mediocre at best Wrath of Cortex, the series sticking to the linear platforming stage approach in a generation where everyone ripped off SM64 but forgot about the platforming and heaped on the collectables also helps it stand out a bit when looking back.
It's just a shame that not much seemed to be done with the whole 3D part of the platforming experience which limits it.

Wrath of Cortex was so underwhelming, and it kind of saddens me when people are like "Oh yeah it was great, it was like Crash 3 on the PS2" :|

But CTR is fucking God Tier, only SASRT comes close to me. I'm pretty sure I've played CTR at least thrice every year since it came out. Hell, it's almost a summer tradition to bust out the PSOne and play nothing but fifth-gen games for a week straight.

Penta Penguin all day errday

Funny you say that because Mario Kart DS is my favorite Mario Kart game. I know people dislike the whole snaking thing, but I actually enjoy it myself. I'm actually really into kart racers and play all types of them, even that strange Nexon MMO that was out a long time ago called "Kart Racer". Guess I will give it a shot, maybe try it on a emulator for HD. I heard there was some kind of story mode, is that true?
Oh man, I remember that game. It was actually pretty good.

Yeah, Transformed's items are rather lackluster in terms of potency compared to the first game. Glad to see there appears to be some interesting ones in this title.

Yea...I forgot what some of the weapons are like but I remember rockets...lots of rockets and this plasma like sphere of energy that destroys things. Just know there is always a good chance stuff will hit your foes.

CTR is the best kart-racer, bar none. Only people disagree or those who haven't played it. I came to it late, N64-only kid during that generation, and even I agree.

Penta Penguin all day errday

Fakecrashkart.png

the fuck you say

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, there's a story mode- there's like 4 hub worlds you travel through, and there's a bunch of different challenges per track, plus boss races (you won't care about this but they bring back a bunch of Crash 1 characters and it's the best). Plus there's standard Grand Prix stuff like MK. It's pretty cool.

It's like 5 bucks on PSN I think, if you've got a PS3 (or a Vita/PSP I guess).

I see, thanks for the info. I suppose I'll get it on PSP then for comfort.

Oh man, I remember that game. It was actually pretty good.

It was pretty good, and I just found out now it's a facebook/browser game now. (after all these years?)

http://apps.facebook.com/kartriderd...t2=nexon.net&kt_st3=mainportal&campaign=nexon

I guess I may have to create a facebook account just to try this out..

Yea...I forgot what some of the weapons are like but I remember rockets...lots of rockets and this plasma like sphere of energy that destroys things. Just know there is always a good chance stuff will hit your foes.

Good to know.

Second only to Nitros Oxide(who you had to use Gameshark to unlock...remember those things!?), but only in the Euro/Jap versions

But seriously, what happen to cheat codes, man :(

Cheat codes are so awesome! I guess the cost of making goofy shit nowadays is too much to not sell it as DLC.

CTR on PSN still has the Ripto's Revenge demo in it. :lol

Man, PS1 had the best demos. A good amount of my favorite PS1 games were bought just because they had a playable demo of another game I wanted. :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
PS1 certainly did. I think most of that was the fact that they were in like everything, especially monthly magazines and pizza places.

I had a demo disc from an old issue of PSM UK that had a Rival Schools demo on it. At the time I didn't realise the significance of the game, but it had a footballer and a baseball player as fighters so it was sweet.

Also, dat dinosaur tech demo.

I think I remember playing the Final Fantasy VIII demo that came with Brave Fencer and the Resident Evil 3 demo that came with Dino Crisis the most.

That first Dreamcast demo disc was pretty good, too. Sold me on getting Rayman 2 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

qq more

Random thought: I wonder how hard would they have to make a Sonic game if Cream was the main character?
Isn't she just a Tails clone but with the ability to stop flying whenever you want? (Plus broken Cheese) Or is there something else you have in mind?

EDIT: I've never played Crash. Am I bad?

My man!
Its success for Nintendo works kind of like a double edged sword, the following two entries have borrowed heavily from the groundwork it laid which in a way is great because more games like MKDS is fun by me but it's unfortunately made the series hit a bit of a comfort zone, track design is still top notch though so I find it hard to complain in the grand scheme of things.
Still MKDS just got everything right, it made previous MK games look downright empty in terms of options.

Transformed actually has a nice blue shell substitute sending a swarm of wasps to lay themselves out in front of first place leaving a path that they must weave through, unfortunately it's either completely non-affective or completely cheap depending on how they scatter.

She is the win button of Sonic. She can summon Cheese to hone in and destroy all.
Cream is fun for this reason, bosses? i'll just stand over here and Cheese 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom