• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
These past exams (like the practice ones) are making me feel like the stupidest person in the world. It isn't the cute kind of stupid either, where I tilt my head to the side and apparently get a cute confused expression that people don't see often.

It's the "hey, you're really fucking dumb and you didn't learn shit all semester, did you?" kind of stupid. I swear I totally did. I did well on everything else. who the heck puts proofs on a fucking nuclear chem exam what the fuck is this shit (yes, I'm saying this and I like math)

AUGH.

Professor Beef said:
|OT| When Red Rings were good
Probably going to use this one.

Nocturnowl said:
This soundtrack stuff is absolutely not easy! I still want to try and tackle a few more games before this year is out for both Soundtrack and GotY reasons, actually i've got to finish Sleeping Dogs myself, open world really isn't up my alley but I can at least tell it's a very solid entry into the genre.
But hey at least having all the exams in the same space of time means the most important task of all will be (or is being) dealt with in rapid succession, you're basically on victory road at this point, the content you're planning here should be pretty pleasant by comparison, then again you're all up for work on vacation, must be one of those workaholics.

You know I started attempting the essential rpgs list myself but I just hit a brick wall trying to write up any game that wasn't Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga where instead I wrote far too much, then I also noticed my list would be the same as last year (bar possibly dropping TWEWY for FF6), i'd sooner tackle it again after i've played more RPGs, more western ones as well for that matter, contributing an unexplained list feels criminal.
I wonder if anyone's ever voted for Sonic Chronicles?
If anyone voted for Sonic Chronicles and didn't provide a good justification for it, I'd cry. And I take so long to post lists at the end of the year because I want to finish as much as I can. I guess that's why my GotY post last year was so lengthy.

I'm not a workaholic... :(
At least, I've tried not to be like that anymore. Not since a few years ago anyway. I think I'm pretty relaxed now. When I was in high school, oh man... I was only about work and studying and failure was not an option.

And yeah, I have way more fun writing up GAF posts than I do writing papers (well, non-linguistics papers) and studying, but that's a given. The content's more fun to deal with because I like the material.

I thought long and hard about it and I think this year I'm going to go with RPG recommendations or what I think people should play rather than the games I adore (well, outside of 1-3 games). It's so hard to pick my favourites out of the stuff I've played. I feel like if I just posted my favourites, my list would be the exact same as last year's. I was juggling whether or not I'd put stuff like Anachronox on the list proper or in the honourable mentions. I know for sure Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 are going to be in the top 10. I don't want my list to be all Japanese-developed RPGs.

Anth0ny

These past exams (like the practice ones) are making me feel like the stupidest person in the world. It isn't the cute kind of stupid either, where I tilt my head to the side and apparently get a cute confused expression that people don't see often.

It's the "hey, you're really fucking dumb and you didn't learn shit all semester, did you?" kind of stupid. I swear I totally did. I did well on everything else. who the heck puts proofs on a fucking nuclear chem exam what the fuck is this shit (yes, I'm saying this and I like math)

Yup, those were my last two exams.

Went into each exam with 80s. Pretty sure I won't be coming out with them.

on topic: HOW IS THIS REAL

Kokonoe

Banned
Ah...do I even feel like writing why I like certain RPGs? There are too many words, too many things to say. I feel I might not do the games justice, but I guess I'll get to it sometime by tomorrow in brief summary form. Deciding between Pokemon Gold and Phantasy Star Online...this thread is pure evil.

I can easily say I don't have 10 must play RPGs, however. I think...7.

This is why PC gaming is the best for the millionth time.

I'm not a workaholic... :(

Whoops, my mistake.

So the SotY thread is up and it's off to a less than inspiring start with no links (from posters I mean) and little explanations, granted describing why you like a soundtrack is pretty tricky.
Nert's red text concerning Xenoblade just isn't enough clearly, I do feel some people really need to pay more attention to the content of opening posts because I swear i've been seeing this sort of issue a lot recently.

/sort of rant

I'm one game into this Essential RPG list (Well on Text Edit) and my first entry is already six paragraphs long...oh we are off to a fine fine start...prepare for my wall of text soon enough!

Nert

Whoops, my mistake.

So the SotY thread is up and it's off to a less than inspiring start with no links (from posters I mean) and little explanations, granted describing why you like a soundtrack is pretty tricky.
Nert's red text concerning Xenoblade just isn't enough clearly, I do feel some people really need to pay more attention to the content of opening posts because I swear i've been seeing this sort of issue a lot recently.

/sort of rant

I figured the red text would be scary enough, but oh well. If some people blaze past the rather short OP and fail to edit their votes over the next three weeks, the points they allocated to Xenoblade will go to nothing instead :p

There will always be a given amount of people that will never want to elaborate on their posts, but I'm assuming that a decent chunk of the people getting their votes in early will go back to elaborate later.

True, it's expected that most wont get elaborated on and I can understand why, I guess what's important is having a good number participate.

qq more

FINALLY

Beat Sonic Advance 1 as everyone. No more awful Egg Rocket and Cosmic Angel! Now to play as Super Sonic.

EDIT: Well... that was quick! Took me 3 tries but I kind of halfassed my efforts at those times.

EDIT2: Unskippable credits are annoying when you have to see it 5 damn times to 100% the game, Sega.

Prepare for a terrible boss battle that's even less coherent than the Generations SS battle.
Do this, and you'll be delightfully surprised that you don't get that.

No, really, I actually liked The Moon Zone. It's nowhere near Time Eater levels of confusing - pretty straightforward, actually.

qq more

Moon Zone was easy as hell. My strat was basically: stay at the left and destroy those orbs to release the rings and then attack Eggman's head whenever he's doing his laser attack.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DONE. *defenestrates textbooks* SO LONG, SUCKERS.

Now to do absolutely nothing tonight because I deserve a break, dammit.

Whoops, my mistake.

/sort of rant
LOL, people do say I work too much, though.

Well, I still don't think Xenoblade should count this year. In the case that it places in the Top 15, it would be a little unfair to all of the other soundtracks that people have composed for the past year. Let's not forget that the soundtrack was released in 2010. An honourable mention would be fine.

And I think Nert's being a little too optimistic with regards to people going back and explaining their posts later on. :p

Whaaaat, I didn't know about this. :O

qq more

Out of the Advance SS battles, I liked True Area XX from 2 the most.

I don't think I'm going to bother with the emeralds in Advance 2. I'll just go through the game as Sonic and move on to Advance 3. I'm kind of tired of Dimps' bullshit. lol

Time to take a relaxing break and mess with the Chao Garden even though it's kind of barebones... what should I name the Chao?

Kokonoe

Banned
I think I'll just post my top RPGs now and write a summary later.

I don't think I'm going to bother with the emeralds in Advance 2. I'll just go through the game as Sonic and move on to Advance 3. I'm kind of tired of Dimps' bullshit. lol

Time to take a relaxing break and mess with the Chao Garden even though it's kind of barebones... what should I name the Chao?

qq more why don't you just use gameshark?

Nert

And I think Nert's being a little too optimistic with regards to people going back and explaining their posts later on. :p

My expectations were admittedly low after the last two years, but the thread already feels pretty healthy and vibrant. The topic of game soundtracks will always be more niche than, say, the game of the year topic, but I think it'll gather momentum as the years go on. There seems to be more actual conversation taking place, too. We'll see.

Also, all of you should stop by the Simpsons nostalgia thread in the OT more often. It's a lot of fun there!

What? Really? That's news to me. :O

Top 3 episode, then.

Yeah, it was on the DVD commentary. Brooks apparently brought so many potential lines and stuff that the writers could've theoretically made two extra episodes with it all. The hammock scene is completely ad-libbed as well, which is why Homer sounds so legit confused. Castellaneta just ran with the whole thing. :lol

Tizoc

Seems Sonic the Fighters was among the top selling XBL games recently, wonder how well VF2 and FV did?

For that matter, I'll post my review of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed later this week, just gonna add a few things first.

I was shocked when I heard that so many of Scorpio's lines (and some of Homer's as well) were completely ad-libbed.

Yeah, it was on the DVD commentary. Brooks apparently brought so many potential lines and stuff that the writers could've theoretically made two extra episodes with it all. The hammock scene is completely ad-libbed as well, which is why Homer sounds so legit confused. Castellaneta just ran with the whole thing. :lol

Now that is interesting, I can't ever bring myself to watch episodes with the commentary though, I mean i'd be missing out on the actual episode.

"oh I see. so you're not just a hedgehog...you're a spike trap"
This is the only explanation for Shadow's embarrassing loss, the coolest he is not.

Or you could just stop playing it, you've proved your point Beef, step no further into the abyss or else you'll be trying to land lunker fish.

Why is it that the main thing I remember from the final story is Sonic saying that he was on a snooze cruise?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just beat SA1. Tails' "ALLS WELL THAT ENDS WELL" line is just as stupid as I remember it. Now it's time to get all the emblems!

:|
Why are you doing this to yourself? Poor Beef.

I will.

k1YJ1.jpg

I just told my bf this and he said that it should have been a two-parter and Scorpio's character should have been in the movie.

I concur.

Nert said:
Also, all of you should stop by the Simpsons nostalgia thread in the OT more often. It's a lot of fun there!
But OT can be so scary. (Nah, I lurk most of the time just because I don't have much to add. It's one of my favourite threads on GAF.)

Or you could just stop playing it, you've proved your point Beef, step no further into the abyss or else you'll be trying to land lunker fish.

Why is it that the main thing I remember from the final story is Sonic saying that he was on a snooze cruise?

Because all of the non-Super Sonic parts WERE a snooze cruise.

And the only thing that's probably going to give me trouble regarding emblems is the stupid Chao racing sections. I've been feeding my Chao non-stop, and the little bastard tried to chuck the food away mid-meal. His job isn't to be full, his job is to WIN.

But what about those amazing plot revelations man?!
I'd go as far to say the final boss was a snooze cruise as well, the pointlessness of it dying only to come back instantly with worse music and no change in how to defeat it is something that will forever puzzle me.

Your Chao is going to be too full to win! he'll be vomiting down the track while you scream angrily at it from the sidelines, then you take it back to the garden and beat it, tell me i'm wrong Beef!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because all of the non-Super Sonic parts WERE a snooze cruise.

And the only thing that's probably going to give me trouble regarding emblems is the stupid Chao racing sections. I've been feeding my Chao non-stop, and the little bastard tried to chuck the food away mid-meal. His job isn't to be full, his job is to WIN.
Chao abuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom