• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it multiplat and now we're talking.

I now want a Rayman/Sonic crossover...I must have it! I'm so maxing out the play limit on this demo...=(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
4 down. And boy, I'd love to know who the idiot was who scheduled an exam on a Saturday night. I'll be done after tomorrow night, but still!

Kokonoe said:
Where is our new Sonic game news?!?!?
Sega's busy suing people for no reason and taking down YouTube videos. Give them time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I posted it in the Pokecapn thread so if you guys want a place to talk about it, you can do so there.

And oh man them pronouncing "Atelier" wrong is getting to me, lol.

Edit: Holeee shit, this girl's voice is kind of annoying... >.>
why are we talking about goukons?!

TheOGB

Banned
Isn't she just a Tails clone but with the ability to stop flying whenever you want? (Plus broken Cheese) Or is there something else you have in mind?

EDIT: I've never played Crash. Am I bad?
You're an awful human being and you should feel bad about yourself
I don't wanna say you're not missing much, but it won't make a huge impact on your "gaming career". Except Crash Team Racing. Play that shit, dammit.

Nothing like watching Crash falling through a void for a good 30 seconds.
A damn near seizure-inducing void.

For 30 seconds.

I don't even have a problem with flashing lights and such, but that shit made me nauseous a few times.

You guys need the Samba de Amigo soundtrack in your life.

Wow this is a really fun soundtrack! I very much approve. So energetic and full of life.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speaking of soundtracks since we end up talking about Soundtrack of the Year stuff in here because reasons... The Zero no Kiseki Evolution soundtrack has some bits that are better than the original, but then there are some tracks that are worse.

Ex:
Better:
Original - Get Over the Barrier!
Evolution - Get Over the Barrier!

Original - Formidable Enemy
Evolution - Formidable Enemy

Neutral:
Original - Intense Chase
Evolution - Intense Chase

Worse:
Original - Inevitable Struggle
Evolution - Inevitable Struggle (actually, debatable; there are some instances where I like the change and others where I don't)

Original - Stand Up Battle Formation Again
Evolution - Stand Up Battle Formation Again

Original - Gnosis
Evolution - Gnosis

But nothing can beat out Zero's Arrange album:
Formidable Enemy
Inevitable Struggle
Intense Chase

So effin' good. But... I can't help but to feel like I don't like Falcom's recent musical direction. I don't like Oath in Felghana's new soundtrack because I felt like the PCE version of that soundtrack was perfect. I feel similar towards Ys Celceta's soundtrack; too used to the PCE and Ys IV Perfect Collection stuff to even give it a fair shake, and that's... really bad of me on my part. I don't wanna shun it when I think about my vote just because it's not the same. :/

Holy goddamn why is an english copy of Sonic Jam so expensive online.

Man, rebuilding my Saturn library after Sandy is a lot more expensive than I thought it was going to be.

I'm back to playing Sonic Adventure 1, and I have decided to torture myself by playing Amy's story. Jesus, somehow her controls are worse than anything I've experienced in an SA game.

Thank fuck, Amy's story is done and was mercifully short. I skipped all her cutscenes, so for all I know that bird that was following her is dead.

EDIT: HOW LONG IS HER CREDITS SEQUENCE, OMG

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've started writing up some of the Phantasy Star anniversary thread because I'm procrastinating because I'm sick and tired of studying I wanted to brainstorm about the impact portions of the series had on other RPGs. Kinda have to do a bit of research and re-read manuals, just because I don't think my anecdotal evidence would be sufficient for a thread.

Plus I think I'm only allowed for a one-post OP, so I have to be frugal with what I want to say, despite having to talk about an entire series. Unless I bug someone about letting me have at least two posts, but I doubt that's possible. But then again, I doubt people read thread OPs, so perhaps not saying much might not be a bad thing.

But... if anyone has anything to add, let me know. I would've loved to do something like the Metroid Anniversary thread last year, but I don't think the spread of people who've played Phantasy Star is that large. Just know that my banner-making skills aren't great, and you're not going to get anything special or perhaps may not get banners at all.

I would like a subtitle, though. You guys know how terrible I am at these!

The Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread | You Cannot Pass Without Roadpass
The Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread | I'm Not Going to Fight For No Mission!

You know, something like that.

Sciz

Archie's been gearing up the Worlds Collide promotion machine in the last week, which mostly entails releasing a bunch of cover art:

crossoverfcbdcomboa9q37.jpg

It’s TWO Free Comic Books in ONE! Just in time for the start of the epic Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man crossover event, “Worlds Collide,” comes a primer issue exclusively for Free Comic Book Day! Witness the journey these two epic heroes from both Sega and Capcom took to finally meet each other — Mega Man’s journey chronicled on one side, and Sonic’s on the other! This is the must-have primer for the biggest comic book event of 2013 — as video game icons Sonic and Mega Man meet for the very first time anywhere!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I can't wait for that! I'm so psyched.

The covers make me feel all giddy.

I'm going to guess they're going to release all of it in a special omnibus later on.

Speaking of soundtracks since we end up talking about Soundtrack of the Year stuff in here because reasons... The Zero no Kiseki Evolution soundtrack has some bits that are better than the original, but then there are some tracks that are worse.
Oh you and your crazy made up games, zero no something or over, those crazy JRPGS/Action JRPGS/Mystery Genre known only to the few.
But from a brief listen to the first example i'm really feeling that the original is better.
Still since the soundtrack is just a remake maybe you could just put it in the honourable mentions pile, I mean that's what we did for Sonic last year.

I'm back to playing Sonic Adventure 1, and I have decided to torture myself by playing Amy's story. Jesus, somehow her controls are worse than anything I've experienced in an SA game.
I like how there's that hammer jump you can only use with a bit of momentum and then you can just start flipping all over the place, but yeah it's pretty jank.

I think soft resetting with the face buttons + Start during the credits of any character sends you back to the title screen, but with said character's story 100% complete. Saves you from having to watch 6 credits sequences back to back.
But you've got to listen to the cheesy tunes!
I WANNA FLY HIGH!

Okay maybe not, a handy tip for if I ever feel like playing the game again outside of trial mode, which I probably wont.

Tizoc

Ugh Wrath of Cortex turned me off the moment I started playing it.
The long loading times were unbelievable to me as a kid seeing how the PSX games' loadings weren't very long, and the graphics looked MUCH WORSE than the PSX games IMO.

aNYWAYs, Schala- any chance you could give me feedback on the review I wrote please ^_^; ?

...and hype*1000000 for the Worlds collide crossover, anyone want me to make an OT for it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
aNYWAYs, Schala- any chance you could give me feedback on the review I wrote please ^_^; ?
Yeah, after my exam sometime. Lots of stuff to do this week!

Oh you and your crazy made up games, zero no something or over, those crazy JRPGS/Action JRPGS/Mystery Genre known only to the few.
But from a brief listen to the first example i'm really feeling that the original is better.
Still since the soundtrack is just a remake maybe you could just put it in the honourable mentions pile, I mean that's what we did for Sonic last year.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna vote for it yet. Like, some of it I like, and some of it I don't. Usually when I vote for a soundtrack, I vote for something that's more consistent. And Zero Evo's soundtrack isn't that consistent. Not like the original's was. I was hoping that they'd outright take some tracks from the Super Arrange album, but that isn't the case. It's a shame because that's the best Super Arrange album for the series so far.

I know a few of my honourable mentions already. Xillia 2, maybe Suikoden PSP (I'm actually on the verge of kicking it off but I'm trying to convince myself not to do so), Labyrinth no Kanata, Darksiders II, maybe Sound Shapes, FF13-2, etc. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Dustforce and Nayuta no Kiseki. And Hotline Miami's place on the overall list should already be known. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. For all I know, I'm going to completely change my list during the last week.

People think this soundtrack stuff is easy. I'm opting to not vote for Bravely Default's soundtrack because I hope that it'll come out here next year.

Urgh. See, having all of my exams shoved into one week is making me feel really disorganized with regards to the other stuff I'm doing. I tried listening to some of them while I studied, but I'm not really "listening" to them, if you know what I mean. They just become background noise at that point.

So... to-do list:
-write up Essential RPGs list (due date: Dec 28)
-finish writing FF4 playthrough posts (kind of want to finish it before Dec 18)
-play Alpha Protocol; play Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd; play Journey
-finish Sleepy Dawgs, Tales of Xillia 2, Persona 4: Golden, and Ys Celceta (before GOTY; I hate voting for things I didn't finish, but I feel like for some I might opt to vote if I've played up to the final boss or something...)
-write up Phantasy Star thread (finish before Dec 20)
-listen to soundtrack stuff; start writing up posts before January 6th
-write up GOTY stuff; start writing up post before that due date

Kinda sucks I'm going to lose the entirety of next weekend because I got surprised with a 2-day vacation and was requested to not bring my laptop (but I might because I wanna get work done... because I know he's going to bring his phone for work.)

I'm not sure if I'm gonna vote for it yet. Like, some of it I like, and some of it I don't. Usually when I vote for a soundtrack, I vote for something that's more consistent. And Zero Evo's soundtrack isn't that consistent. Not like the original's was. I was hoping that they'd outright take some tracks from the Super Arrange album, but that isn't the case. It's a shame because that's the best Super Arrange album for the series so far.

I know a few of my honourable mentions already. Xillia 2, maybe Suikoden PSP (I'm actually on the verge of kicking it off but I'm trying to convince myself not to do so), Labyrinth no Kanata, Darksiders II, maybe Sound Shapes, FF13-2, etc. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Dustforce and Nayuta no Kiseki. And Hotline Miami's place on the overall list should already be known. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. For all I know, I'm going to completely change my list during the last week.

People think this soundtrack stuff is easy. I'm opting to not vote for Bravely Default's soundtrack because I hope that it'll come out here next year.

Urgh. See, having all of my exams shoved into one week is making me feel really disorganized with regards to the other stuff I'm doing. I tried listening to some of them while I studied, but I'm not really "listening" to them, if you know what I mean. They just become background noise at that point.

So... to-do list:
-write up Essential RPGs list (due date: Dec 28)
-finish writing FF4 playthrough posts (kind of want to finish it before Dec 18)
-play Alpha Protocol; play Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd; play Journey
-finish Sleepy Dawgs, Tales of Xillia 2, Persona 4: Golden, and Ys Celceta (before GOTY; I hate voting for things I didn't finish, but I feel like for some I might opt to vote if I've played up to the final boss or something...)
-write up Phantasy Star thread (finish before Dec 20)
-listen to soundtrack stuff; start writing up posts before January 6th
-write up GOTY stuff; start writing up post before that due date

Kinda sucks I'm going to lose the entirety of next weekend because I got surprised with a 2-day vacation and was requested to not bring my laptop (but I might because I wanna get work done... because I know he's going to bring his phone for work.)

This soundtrack stuff is absolutely not easy! I still want to try and tackle a few more games before this year is out for both Soundtrack and GotY reasons, actually i've got to finish Sleeping Dogs myself, open world really isn't up my alley but I can at least tell it's a very solid entry into the genre.
But hey at least having all the exams in the same space of time means the most important task of all will be (or is being) dealt with in rapid succession, you're basically on victory road at this point, the content you're planning here should be pretty pleasant by comparison, then again you're all up for work on vacation, must be one of those workaholics.

You know I started attempting the essential rpgs list myself but I just hit a brick wall trying to write up any game that wasn't Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga where instead I wrote far too much, then I also noticed my list would be the same as last year (bar possibly dropping TWEWY for FF6), i'd sooner tackle it again after i've played more RPGs, more western ones as well for that matter, contributing an unexplained list feels criminal.
I wonder if anyone's ever voted for Sonic Chronicles?

I like how there's that hammer jump you can only use with a bit of momentum and then you can just start flipping all over the place, but yeah it's pretty jank.

The problem with that is Amy builds next to no momentum, and she stops on a dime as soon as you move in a different direction. It's like the precursor to Sonic 4's physics!

The problem with that is Amy builds next to no momentum, and she stops on a dime as soon as you move in a different direction. It's like the precursor to Sonic 4's physics!
That's why you just don't stop Beef, you gotta keep hammer hoppin' until the game itself stops you to solve switch puzzles in Hot Shelter or whatever attempt at variety they try to swerve you with but aside from that you just keep flipping or else the fun grinds to a halt and I use the word fun pretty loosely here.
Never quite understood why Final Egg for Amy was much easier and shorter than Hot Shelter, only three stages and they don't even scale in difficulty correctly.

Essential RPG's list? Sounds like something I need to get on...though I'm sure my suggestions are already covered...
Well here's the thread if you're feeling up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom