• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst thing is accidentally abusing your chao and feeling so terrible you reset the game.

WHY IS PUT DOWN AND THROW ON THE SAME MAPPED TO THE SAME BUTTON

In the case of SA1 the garden controls are even less refined than SA2 so you can perform a spindash or punches as knuckles by simply trying to pick them up.

Chao abuse!
I wouldn't be abusing it if it would win its races!
Your Chao is going to be too full to win! he'll be vomiting down the track while you scream angrily at it from the sidelines, then you take it back to the garden and beat it, tell me i'm wrong Beef!
If he's going to be vomiting, then he better use it to propel himself across the track! He's so lazy and unmotivated no matter how often I yell at him or refuse to pet him. His punishment has been me naming him "Stupid." That's also because he has a stupid look on his face. I wonder if that's because I chucked his egg against a wall...

Ugh. The Chao gardens. I remember reading about all sorts of crazy stuff that can happen with two chao.

We all know they can interact with each other, but I read somewhere that they can actually develop personalities over time with each other.

For example, If you treat one chao good and another one badly while that one watches you treat the good one, it will get jealous over time. At least according to this it does. (CTRL+F: 2.A.) It's weird, I thought they would actually have growing personalities that would make every chao unique, but nope!. I don't know why, but it fascinated me so much to see them interact like real children. But then again, it was cool to see their looks change over time.

The worst thing is accidentally abusing your chao and feeling so terrible you reset the game.

WHY IS PUT DOWN AND THROW MAPPED TO THE SAME BUTTON
In the Dreamcast original, they're not. I mean, they are, but there's also the Y button, which acts as a "pick-up only" button.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey, does anyone want to make a banner for the Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread?

Please let me know either here or via PMs if you wish to do so. I don't have a set criteria in mind outside of "it'd be great if it were pretty" so go nuts. Just don't only include PSO stuff on it, because I'd like it to represent the majority of the games.

BlackJace

Hey, does anyone want to make a banner for the Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread?

Please let me know either here or via PMs if you wish to do so. I don't have a set criteria in mind outside of "it'd be great if it were pretty" so go nuts. Just don't only include PSO stuff on it, because I'd like it to represent the majority of the games.

When do you need it? If you can wait till the weekend, I might be able to.

shallaycoeb.jpg

done

BlackJace

The 20th (Thursday), since that's when the thread's going up.

Thanks for offering, though, even if you can't do it.

D'oh sorry. Tell ya what though, if I'm free tomorrow evening, I can take a crack at it.
You would probably have to provide me with the source material, considering I've never played the series before.

EDIT: Damn, Green Scar killed it. Doubt I could top that haha :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You shouldn't push yourself to do it. I'll use Beef's philosophy of "real life comes before GAF".

I'm going to make sure Green Scar's banner is used in the thread. That's... simply a stroke of genius.

Kokonoe

Banned
If there was a handheld classic Sonic game I should play, which one should that be? Triple Trouble? I'm not going to play all of them for the time being, just one.

Oh phew, I thought for a second you got banned again since my quick glimpse saw "BANNER" and "Green Scar"

Tails Adventures if you're willing to try something completely different (if kinda slow); great little game, with minor Metroidvania elements (getting new items to open up doors in old levels, to unlock new levels entirely, etc).

Sonic 1, Chaos or Triple Trouble, otherwise. 1 is the fastest and smoothest, Triple Trouble is the most feature-rich, and Chaos is somewhere in between but doesn't exactly excel over either. I'd suggest 2, but the Underground Zone boss kinda kills everything before it even really gets started. Love the level themes, though.

I want to try Triple Trouble but it doesn't look like there are any Gamestops in state that have Gems Collection.

Is it time tiggerkiddo acquires a Game Gear? Let's find out!

qq more

If you have a 3DS, buy Triple Trouble.

EDIT: Skip 1, 2 and Chaos if you're thinknig of playing them on the Game Gear. ...Get the Master System versions instead. Especially Sonic 2.

That's interesting...I don't know if I want to get a Master System but it's worth checking out.

EDIT: Ahhh I have the right Sega Genesis model to use that adapter...intriguing.

If you have a Model 1 or 2 Genesis, you can always pick up a Power Base Converter, which makes the Genesis backwards compatible with Master System. You'd have to make sure to get the right model, though. There were two different ones released, with the second one being redesigned to accommodate for the Model 2 Genesis' size.

If you have a Model 1 or 2 Genesis, you can always pick up a Power Base Converter, which makes the Genesis backwards compatible with Master System. You'd have to make sure to get the right model, though. There were two different ones released, with the second one being redesigned to accommodate for the Model 2 Genesis' size.
There is no Power Base Converter for a Model 2 Genesis.

There is a Power Base Converter for a Model 2 Mega Drive, released only in Europe (AFAIK). I have no idea if it'd work or not for a US Genesis Model 2 - try it at your own risk. Bear in mind that some Master System games came on little cards instead of cartridges; the Model 2 PBC can't read those.

Was Sonic Chaos only a PAL release? I take it these things are region free then...
Most PAL Master System games run on NTSC hardware with little issue. Most. Some don't. The Sonic games are not those titles, fortunately (considering only Sonic 1 got a US release, and a really late one too, making it absurdly pricey).

There is no Power Base Converter for a Model 2 Genesis.

There is a Power Base Converter for a Model 2 Mega Drive, released only in Europe (AFAIK). I have no idea if it'd work or not for a US Genesis Model 2 - try it at your own risk. Bear in mind that some Master System games came on little cards instead of cartridges; the Model 2 PBC can't read those.

Most PAL Master System games run on NTSC hardware with little issue. Most. Some don't. The Sonic games are not those titles, fortunately (considering only Sonic 1 got a US release, and a really late one too, making it absurdly pricey).

Ah yeah, got mixed up there. Different regions and all that.

I managed to clear all of Amy's emblems last night. I might work on Knuckles or Big later when I get home. Everyone else, I am gonna complete in Adventure Mode so I can get small creatures for my idiot Chao to feast on.

TheOGB

Banned
So I went back to Unleashed to do some hot dog challenges

Thank glob for Generations, that's all I gotta say

Holoska, fuck you, your ice, and cold ass water, and all your bobsleds

I hadn't 100%'d a mainline Sonic game between Sonic 3&K and Sonic Generations, if that means anything. (I did 100% Sonic 3D, Sonic R, Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush, but I'd debate the "mainline" status of any of them.)

The Adventure games have the chao minigame that I couldn't win any races for (plus my VMU's battery was always dead, so I couldn't check stats) - plus the first had fishing stages (blegh) and the second introduced the grading system, which would forever be my bane. I didn't buy any mainline games from Heroes through 2K6 (well, I bought Heroes on the PC for a fiver, but couldn't be bothered to finish it with anyone). I did get Unleashed since I was genuinely liking it for a while, but that wore out by the time I reached Dragon Road Day. Colors, I need to play more of at some point (although now that I'm on a Wii U, no GC pad D:).

Not sure what compelled me to go through all the missions, get all the red rings, S-rank all the main stages et cetera in Generations, but, well, I sure as heck did so. I think the fact that I didn't have to S-rank all the missions to complete everything, and the fact that the main stages are incredibly easy to S-rank once you have even an iota of a feeling for the layouts, helped considerably.

The fishing emblems wouldn't even be that bad if the 2000+ fish didn't randomly decide to swim 5+ meters away for the hell of it without me being able to do anything to stop it.

The fishing emblems wouldn't even be that bad if the 2000+ fish didn't randomly decide to swim 5+ meters away for the hell of it without me being able to do anything to stop it.
Well you see that's what makes it so challenging right? though you should really be preparing yourself for being speedy enough to do Sonic's time trials, while the most fun i'd say they're also the toughest tasks of the emblem nabbing.

Speaking of self-harm, I have yet to beat Rouge's section of Cannon Core.

I just...why.

It's the shortest one at least, though some of the timing needed to get through the gaps with the time stopping switches is pretty close.
Of course after all this you still have the biolizard which isn't really much fun at all.

I thought Knuckles's segments were worse, by virtue of being entirely underwater.

Less bad once you realize that, gasp, they implemented the bubble breathing mechanics!, but there's literally nothing in the game prior to indicate that you could interact with those. I don't even think I noticed them my first go through, leading to a few undesirable deaths.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I did too much shopping today.

My legs hurt. My arms hurt. My right shoulder hurts. My back hurts. I didn't eat before I went out so that's part of it (I don't eat before I go for a run and I figured that since I'm shopping, I'll be getting lots of exercise via walking anyway).

Anyway, I went to a novelty store to buy my bf's joke gift and they had so much Sonic stuff! I had to resist the urge to buy something for myself... but I caved and bought a Sonic air freshener for my car (I'm more partial to vanilla air fresheners, but I can make an exception for the strawberry scent this one had). I don't give a crap if it's juvenile, but I still think this artwork's cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom