• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Knuckles's segments were worse, by virtue of being entirely underwater.

Less bad once you realize that, gasp, they implemented the bubble breathing mechanics!, but there's literally nothing in the game prior to indicate that you could interact with those. I don't even think I noticed them my first go through, leading to a few undesirable deaths.
Guess the oxygen necklace slipped right by ya, but the actual challenge presented by swimming through the laser grids is just right by my watch, not too difficult and not a cakewalk, though scrambling for air could make things trickier, though personally I might welcome that, drops a nice dose of tension to the proceedings.

Anyway, I went to a novelty store to buy my bf's joke gift and they had so much Sonic stuff! I had to resist the urge to buy something for myself... but I caved and bought a Sonic air freshener for my car (I'm more partial to vanilla air fresheners, but I can make an exception for the strawberry scent this one had). I don't give a crap if it's juvenile, but I still think this artwork's cute.
If that's the expression of the freshener itself this can only mean sonic has strawberry scented breath.

TheOGB

Banned
so somehow that discourse has simultaneously discouraged me from playing Unleashed and ruined my appetite

So how bout that Sonic Battle

Sciz

Kind of.

So here's a topic of discussion I've been sitting on for a while: Ending themes, and specifically the series' tendency towards slow, melancholy pieces that started back in Sonic 2. Even Mario games lean towards... less upbeat finales, as if to say "we're sorry, but the game's over now." Sonic tends to have a bit more story though, even at its most barebones, so when the musical style shifts in the end, it tends to carry some emotive weight. Stay a while, and listen.

To kick things off, here's two halves of the same coin: Battle's final story credits, and Advance 3's staff roll. One is a fall, while the other is a redemption. Together, they always make me go a bit misty eyed.

Ryan Drummond Sez

Guess the oxygen necklace slipped right by ya, but the actual challenge presented by swimming through the laser grids is just right by my watch, not too difficult and not a cakewalk, though scrambling for air could make things trickier, though personally I might welcome that, drops a nice dose of tension to the proceedings.
We're talking when I first went into Cannon's Core, which I was doing as soon as possible - minimal replay of earlier missions to unlock all the new goodies at that point. So yeah, I wouldn't have the oxygen necklace at that point.

So here's a topic of discussion I've been sitting on for a while: Ending themes, and specifically the series' tendency towards slow, melancholy pieces that started back in Sonic 2. Even Mario games lean towards... less upbeat finales, as if to say "we're sorry, but the game's over now." Sonic tends to have a bit more story though, even at its most barebones, so when the musical style shifts in the end, it tends to carry some emotive weight. Stay a while, and listen.

To kick things off, here's two halves of the same coin: Battle's final story credits, and Advance 3's staff roll. One is a fall, while the other is a redemption. Together, they always make me go a bit misty eyed.

Gotta mention Sonic 2 8-Bit's Bad Ending theme.

Tails noooo ;_;

Man, remember this?

22.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Phantasy Star thread is coming along very nicely! I just have a few more things to write about and then I'll post it today (since it's technically the 20th there already).

Edit: And I know a few of you were following this, so I posted the conclusion to Batman's Dying Dream (my Final Fantasy IV playthrough) -- Part 1 and Part 2. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did writing up the entries!)

Kokonoe

Banned
http://youtu.be/CazwYoVe1rE

Generations Unleashed update: Jungle Joyride!

Holy shit, the replacement for the Big Chaser is GENIUS!

I think I'm just never going to beat Sonic Unleashed and just wait for all these people to import the levels into Sonic Generations so I do not have to deal with the medal collecting and last bit of Werehog segments. Looking great, however.

Man, remember this?

I didn't read that part of the comics, but I do recall seeing that page before and just finding it very humorous. I actually thought it was a joke in the comics, but I later found out recently that it was a serious part of it. Yeesh.

Sciz

I don't know that I'd call it serious so much as the result of Penders writing himself into a corner and finally having to resolve some of his vague bullshit that he never had a real conclusion in mind for.

TheOGB

Banned
Kind of.

I've never listened to them back to back. Advance 3's credits theme always could get me every time, but wow.

Sonic Advance 3 remains the only Sonic game I wish had MORE story, if only to connect to Battle more, and make that ending so much better.

Lord almighty, they did the impossible.

Now let's see if they can do the impossible-er...
Eggmanland on Jan 1, 2013. BELIEVE

Still looking forward to when this project's finished, but playing the Dragon Road demo (and even Windmill Isle to an extent) just reaffirmed my personal belief part of Unleashed's issues with the daytime stages was the level design itself is a bit crap. They control a lot better at 60fps and with Generations' engine, definitely, but the constant long stretches and split-second reactions to stage hazards which feel cheap even after I'd (mostly) achievement-grinded the original Unleashed and have most of these stages memorized sort of make me wish the guys behind this project would polish up the level design itself as well.

Kokonoe

Banned
Innumerable stars, won't tell us where to go..
It's a long, long, ruuuun.
To the place in the suuuun.

With hopes and dreams, our ship will cross the sea!
To the whole new world! Shining like a pearl! The whole new woOoOrld!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I went backwards. I wrote about Universe, the spinoffs, and the remakes first. I decided to save Online + 0 for last. I wrote about PS1 first.

Now I'm struggling to find words for Phantasy Star III.

I just finished writing about how revolutionary PSII was.

Play it sometime but the difficulty might deter you...
Difficulty-wise, how does it compare to, say, Shining in the Darkness?

I went backwards. I wrote about Universe, the spinoffs, and the remakes first. I decided to save Online + 0 for last. I wrote about PS1 first.

Now I'm struggling to find words for Phantasy Star III.
You can run around naked in it and nobody will care.

You can use an escape item to escape a dungeon early on and render the game unwinnable.

That's about all I know about the game.

BlackJace

The Phantasy Star thread is coming along very nicely! I just have a few more things to write about and then I'll post it today (since it's technically the 20th there already).

Edit: And I know a few of you were following this, so I posted the conclusion to Batman's Dying Dream (my Final Fantasy IV playthrough) -- Part 1 and Part 2. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did writing up the entries!)

Oh shit, I forgot about the banner with the GAF logo addition, I'm sorry!
When are you putting it up?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh shit, I forgot about the banner with the GAF logo addition, I'm sorry!
When are you putting it up?
Don't worry about it. It's not really essential, but thank you for doing the banner otherwise!

(You don't have to rush and try to add it is what I'm saying because I'm almost finished up here.)

Shadow Hog said:
Difficulty-wise, how does it compare to, say, Shining in the Darkness?
Phantasy Star might be a little harder. It's been a while, but I remember Shining in the Darkness being rather balanced in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom