• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

Don't worry about it. It's not really essential, but thank you for doing the banner otherwise!

(You don't have to rush and try to add it is what I'm saying because I'm almost finished up here.)

Phantasy Star might be a little harder. It's been a while, but I remember Shining in the Darkness being rather balanced in comparison.

Jeez, I hate forgetting these type of things. Looking forward to the thread either way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wee, now that the PS stuff is over and done with (and thank you so much everyone! I appreciated your help and commentary!), I can respond to stuff I've been meaning to respond to.

See, this is how Beef should respond to Chao. He'd probably enjoy it more.

So here's a topic of discussion I've been sitting on for a while: Ending themes, and specifically the series' tendency towards slow, melancholy pieces that started back in Sonic 2. Even Mario games lean towards... less upbeat finales, as if to say "we're sorry, but the game's over now." Sonic tends to have a bit more story though, even at its most barebones, so when the musical style shifts in the end, it tends to carry some emotive weight. Stay a while, and listen.

To kick things off, here's two halves of the same coin: Battle's final story credits, and Advance 3's staff roll. One is a fall, while the other is a redemption. Together, they always make me go a bit misty eyed.
I've always thought that ending themes in video games in general were a sound design choice for the game and the player to say farewell to each other. That sounds incredibly corny, but that's likely the intent. It's partially why I loved Dear My Friend so much at the end of Unleashed. The Colours end was a bit of an anomaly, though it's fitting for what's going on as you're playing the game (er, in terms of tempo and mood).

Man, Battle's final credits are so good.

qq more

guys is it wrong that I'm using cheats to start with all 7 special rings in Sonic Advance 2 so that I don't have to collect those fuckers a billion of times?

Kokonoe

Banned
Good...let the cheats consume you, let it envelope your impatience and your soul to the point where you cannot play any game without cheats and hacks. You will utilize guides to simply navigate the menus of modern consoles, and you will cheat in the first level of every game you'll ever play because your soul has been tarnished with the tools of the demon. Possessed by Game Shark, by Game Genie, by Codebreaker, and by Action Replay. Your fate is sealed, and so is your life.

qq more

I hate cheating in games and I still do but I feel justified cheating the special rings in Advance 2.

Just a question though, if you lose a life... do you also lose all of your special rings?

EDIT: YOU FUCKING DO. WHAT THE FUCK

qq more

I already got one Emerald legitimately and it was already tedious. I'm not willing to go through the same process 35 times... no wait, more than 35 times because it's so easy to screw up. Not worth it. NOT WORTH IT.

Also the game's level design is starting to suck ass. Ice Paradise got annoying real fast.

I already got one Emerald legitimately and it was already tedious. I'm not willing to go through the same process 35 times... no wait, more than 35 times because it's so easy to screw up. Not worth it. NOT WORTH IT.

Also the game's level design is starting to suck ass. Ice Paradise got annoying real fast.

QQ

qq more

How about this, I'll play and beat every story in Sonic 06 to make up for cheating the special rings Advance 2... deal?

Why am I doing this?

Kokonoe

Banned
How about this, I'll play and beat every story in Sonic 06 to make up for cheating the special rings Advance 2... deal?

Why am I doing this?

You need to beat Sonic 2006 anyways, so sure! But don't feel bad about cheating, Sonic Advance 2 is ridiculous and only those that have lost their sanity can put up with that.

WillyFive

Sonic Unleashed for the Wii is an awful, awful game. Looks like a joke compared to other Wii Sonic games, both graphically and gameplay-wise.

BlackJace

Sonic Unleashed for the Wii is an awful, awful game. Looks like a joke compared to other Wii Sonic games, both graphically and gameplay-wise.

....Sonic Unleashed for the Wii had the tightest gameplay. Also, no stupid medal collecting, and minimal Werehog stages. Also the highest rated version.

qq more

....Sonic Unleashed for the Wii had the tightest gameplay. Also, no stupid medal collecting, and minimal Werehog stages. Also the highest rated version.
I'm pretty sure the Wii version has 3 Werehog Acts per stage. And the Day stages aren't as good as the 360/PS3 versions (because Dimps apparently designed them, but surprisingly they ain't bad... except for the Night stages)

There's also 3 Acts of the Day stages as well... but the catch? Acts 2 and 3 are borin' missions that are not optional.

Yeah, and reviewers who rated the Wii version higher than the Xbox 360 version are crazy people. Sonic Unleashed on the Wii is a slow, weird, stiff game. It has a couple of cool ideas about presentation but it is in no way a better game.

I mean, for however bad the Werehog was in the HD version, it's a thousand times worse in the Wii version, where you are stuck doing basically the same stiff three or four hit combo over and over and over again because the combat system is absolute nonsense. Not to mention how many Werehog stages there are - I realize it probably comes out to about the same as the HD version, but I don't like that the Wii version breaks each Werehog section out in to four separate stages, even if it does help each stage feel more diverse.

Daytime levels are often way more scripted and empty, and the boost system is weird and works against gameplay fluidity. Plus, it means you constantly have to hear Sonic going "HURRAGH" every 3-5 seconds. Level design is bland and sloppy; Dragon Road feels like a weird holdover from a beta version of Secret Rings.

The lack of medal collection is definitely a boon, but the notion reviewers had that the Wii version was superior for removing the HUB worlds is absolutely comical to me, because the weird menu system Sonic Unleashed Wii substitutes for the hubs is actually more difficult to navigate than simply just pointing Sonic in a direction and going, nevermind how utterly BORING it is to essentially be presented with a series of menus that are 99% text and nothing else.

Sonic Unleashed Wii is not the worst game in the world but it is very, VERY much a cheap Wii version of a big budget HD game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least the Wii version has some advantages over the HD version: a better version of Eggmanland.

Kokonoe said:
True. Well, he's trying to push Sonic Advance 2 Special Stages on others so equal punishment should be had! (I actually bought him the game, haha)
Now he has to finish it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom