• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you bought him 06? Well then, he's under obligation.

Now he has to finish it off.
So that's how it works then? hey remember how you can gift Wii VC games? oh boy do I have a treat for you two, just need to find those damn games on here...
wait...no Nintendo, not now, why did you remove the DKC trilogy now of all times?! CURSES!

Okay, no presents for anyone, Beefmas is cancelled.

qq more

Sky Canyon Act 2 is made of pure evil. What the fuck is this shit?

EDIT: Seriously, I keep dying at the beginning of this Act because the ramp sometimes doesn't send me high enough. What the FUCK

EDIT: This is the worst boss fight.

Sciz

Sky Canyon Act 2 is made of pure evil. What the fuck is this shit?

EDIT: Seriously, I keep dying at the beginning of this Act because the ramp sometimes doesn't send me high enough. What the FUCK

EDIT: This is the worst boss fight.

It's okay to stop.

You don't have to do this to yourself.

It's okay.

qq more

Dammit, game froze at the Egg Utopia Boss. Since I got all of the Emeralds I'll use play through the rest of the game without the cheat device so I don't have to worry about freezing again.

Mwahahahahaha.

It just occured to me I never beat the game as anyone but Cream because of the broken as hell Cheese. I think I'm starting to take back what I said about it getting worse. The later bosses are painful without Cream.

EDIT: FUCK EGG UTOPIA

Dammit, game froze at the Egg Utopia Boss. Since I got all of the Emeralds I'll use play through the rest of the game without the cheat device so I don't have to worry about freezing again.

It just occured to me I never beat the game as anyone but Cream because of the broken as hell Cheese. I think I'm starting to take back what I said about it getting worse. The later bosses are painful without Cream.

EDIT: FUCK EGG UTOPIA

I can't wait until you play Altitude Limit.

WillyFive

Sonic Unleashed Wii is not the worst game in the world but it is very, VERY much a cheap PS2/PSP version up-port of a big budget HD game.

Fixed.

One of the worst looking big name Wii games out there. There are so many jaggies the ground texture for the temples becomes static whenever the camera moves.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do you guys think they'll ever rerelease sonic 06or pretend it never happened
Was it not part of a list of games with a poor Metacritic score which prompted them to stop printing copies of the game?

I'd much rather they pretend it didn't happen. A lot of stuff, design-wise and especially narrative-wise, about that game was a disaster.

So that's how it works then? hey remember how you can gift Wii VC games? oh boy do I have a treat for you two, just need to find those damn games on here...
wait...no Nintendo, not now, why did you remove the DKC trilogy now of all times?! CURSES!

Okay, no presents for anyone, Beefmas is cancelled.
Poor Beef. We can't celebrate his birthday nooooowwwww.

(I have hardcopies of DKC and DKC2 + a SNES still hooked up. But I'm not gonna play them. :p)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd sooner do a playthrough of Secret of the Stars! >:D

5-secretofthestarsu_0r8kqh.png
11-secretofthestarsu_kjk3n.png
7-secretofthestarsu_09yj1c.png

Kokonoe

Banned
So...since this is the end of the world, I just want everyone to know that I've been on GAF a year, although we've had our differences, this has been the best Sonic community I've been a part of.

And Sonic & Knuckles is the greatest, Sonic is better than Mario, and Neo Metal Sonic is my favorite Gundam.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My mind cannot comprehend what this is.

8-secret_of_the_stars75j5i.png
29-secretofthestarsu_47jzv.png

So...since this is the end of the world, I just want everyone to know that I've been on GAF a year, although we've had our differences, this has been the best Sonic community I've been a part of.

And Sonic & Knuckles is the greatest, Sonic is better than Mario, and Neo Metal Sonic is my favorite Gundam.
It's not the end of the world, silly! Neo Metal Sonic's design is at least better than the new Lightning design. :v

Anyway, back at ya. I've already said that I like you guys tons.

TheOGB

Banned
guys I have a confession

i love sonic 06, and it is better than colorssssssshhahahahahaha hoooo, I'm just kidding, I don't think the world's ending.

It better not, I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow. :p

My mind cannot comprehend what this is.
It's Ludacris rapping about using karate on a Hobbit on his mountain (which, after having seen An Unexpected Journey... is it Erebor or something?), then the Bee Gees find it shot, take a ring (possibly The One) from its finger, pawn it for $200, and then fly to various Central American countries. One of the Bee Gees then goes on a tangent, apparently about BDSM, with a very strange safe word.

I dunno, it's one of my favorite Bad Lip Readings.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's not the end of the world, silly! Neo Metal Sonic's design is at least better than the new Lightning design. :v

Anyway, back at ya. I've already said that I like you guys tons.

Haha, well that goes strongly without saying. Lightning's new outfit is a cluster of so many different things, Neo Metal Sonic's design is straightforward. "Overlord Metal Sonic"
I like this design a lot too.

I like robots. If anything, these designs remind me of PSO designs.

And yes, I agree. I was a part of PokeGAF for a bit but it wasn't the community for me, and I also got tired of Pokemon itself actually. I was into Pokemon since 1998 non-stop until two-three months ago when I finally decided to take my break from it. This thread, however, I can always come back to, and I generally for the most part always like to talk about Sonic. I wish I would get to the comics already, but video games get in the way, heh.

Pietepiet

qq stop, you're making me wanna play Adv2 because I don't remember it being that bad :|

It really isn't. People like to exaggerate. They also like to complain about hold right to win, but when there's finally a stage that makes you pay attention and has some platforming going on, it's suddenly the worst shit ever.

I'll play Advance 2 over most of the other 2D Sonic games anyway. I don't care if I'm called crazy for it!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
guys is it wrong that I'm using cheats to start with all 7 special rings in Sonic Advance 2 so that I don't have to collect those fuckers a billion of times?

No. What's wrong here is that you're actually wasting time playing Sonic Advance 2 :p

I'm probably gonna stop at Advance 3 and take a long break before I go to the Rush games.

qq
wat r u doin
qq
stahp

If Advance 2 was bad, Advance 3 is so terrible it makes baby Jesus murder cherubs x_x

HD Eggmanland is the best final Sonic level in recent memory; never got the hate. >:I
Probably to do with half the stage being filled with gripping Werehog gameplay that's flawed for a laundry list of reasons.

Poor Beef. We can't celebrate his birthday nooooowwwww.

(I have hardcopies of DKC and DKC2 + a SNES still hooked up. But I'm not gonna play them. :p)
See, you needed 3, Beefmas, why have you forsaken us?!

Play Sonic Blast while you're at it!
Maybe I will within the next three days, I feel like it must be done, I must pass Blue Marine Zone!

qq more

It really isn't. People like to exaggerate.
How am I exaggerating?

They also like to complain about hold right to win

Because it's mostly true for the first two zones. Hot crater is so laughly hold right to win, I think I only had to jump once in one of the acts.

but when there's finally a stage that makes you pay attention and has some platforming going on, it's suddenly the worst shit ever.

The problem with the game isn't the fact there's platforming but rather how they designed it. It doesn't help the game is actively trying to encourage you to run as fast as possible. There's some sections where you MUST run as fast as you can or you'll die (see: beginning of Sky Canyon Act 2, you MUST hit that ramp with top speed). But most of the times the game punishes you for running by placing annoying enemies and pits in your way with too little time to react. It's not fun at all and just extremely frustrating to deal with. Music Plant was the only level I've honestly enjoyed.

At least the special stages are fun (irony).

qq
wat r u doin
qq
stahp

If Advance 2 was bad, Advance 3 is so terrible it makes baby Jesus murder cherubs x_x
I remember Advance 3 being easily the better game but it's been a while...

also wtf is stahp? is it some strange meme i dont know of?

WillyFive

I remember Advance 3 being easily the better game but it's been a while...

also wtf is stahp? is it some strange meme i dont know of?

It means "stop", just being said in a lazy way.

Also, while I got my tag defending the Sonic Advance games, I still stand by my claims. Sonic Advance 3 is a good improvement over Sonic Advance 2, since it keeps the new speed and gameplay mechanics while adding levels that allow you to do more than just "hold right to win".

Yeah, Advance 2's biggest issue is that it can't decide what it's trying to do with its level design. Its levels are all gradual downward slopes with the intention of promoting speed above all else, and then it decides at arbitrary moments that all players who play along with that premise shall be thrust into a poorly-placed enemy or spike trap, because they'll have been going too fast to realize it was coming up. This means the only way to eke out fun from the game is rote memorization.

I don't mind actual platforming, but there are much better ways of getting me to stop; the Genesis games were fond of quarter-pipe ramps to launch players into the air, negating their horizontal momentum in a stylish fashion, just before the slower, more platform-y parts came up.

It means "stop", just being said in a lazy way.
It takes an extra key press to type "stahp" over "stop", though.

iavi

The Unleashed porting project just put up 60fps vids of Jungle Joyride over on their modddb page. Seeing that level run that smooth is crazy.

qq more

oh look i beat the final boss, cant wait to play as super sonic and be done with this game!

just got a message that tiny chao garden unlocked!

wait, no message about super sonic? ill just check the world map

wait... where is the extra boss?

what do you mean i have to actually get 28 emeralds to unlock super sonic?

why do you torture me so, dimps?

oh look i beat the final boss, cant wait to play as super sonic and be done with this game!

Be a man, take it like a man!

Super Sonic is a privelege not a right!

:(

Speaking of transformations, why hasn't there been a return of Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, whatever the hells Tails thing was?

I mean...did they forget that hedgehogs are NOT the only ones who can transform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom