• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's at least 3-4 stages in SF64 I can just quote verbatim. I'm not lying to you when I say I've beaten that game HUNDREDS of time since I was a kid.

There's at least 3-4 stages in SF64 I can just quote verbatim. I'm not lying to you when I say I've beaten that game HUNDREDS of time since I was a kid.

I seriously believe it is one of the best games ever made.

It hasn't aged a day.

It was the Kid Icarus Uprising of the N64.

I loved everything about that game, it's understandable that they haven't been able to reach the same plateau since, it's that damn good.

qq more

I never played beyond the first level in SF64 until the VC release but that was because I sucked horribly at SF64 as a kid (and I never owned the game at the time). It is really timeless, the game is just soooo awesome.

Kokonoe

Banned
EEEYYAAAAAAAARRGGGHH!

*cue the most satisfying series of explosions in video game history*

I recall thinking the explosions were going to stop when I first did that, and then it just kept going until that last huge one. Gosh Star Fox 64 is so great...really want to play the 3DS one now.

It was the Kid Icarus Uprising of the N64.
So it had wonderfully witty dialog, but an unusual control scheme that gives a lot of users cramps in the hand (myself, notably) and required Nintendo include a bundled accessory to alleviate that issue (it doesn't really help much)?

So it had wonderfully witty dialog, but an unusual control scheme that gives a lot of users cramps in the hand (myself, notably) and required Nintendo include a bundled accessory to alleviate that issue (it doesn't really help much)?

Sounds like a personal problem.

:p

Nah but seriously, I love the hell out of that game.

The best thing about the SF64 explosions is they sound like somebody blowing into a microphone at different pitches, so you can TOTALLY mimic the explosions with your mouth

pwooooooooo

HIT+50

WillyFive

Star Fox 64 was the height of game voice covers, not just because they were the bomb at the time, but because it proved the N64 could do it, despite voice acting being one of the first things people wrote off from the system when they learned about it using cartridges.

Why can't Nintendo EAD just make another Star Fox themselves?

Anth0ny

The best thing about the SF64 explosions is they sound like somebody blowing into a microphone at different pitches, so you can TOTALLY mimic the explosions with your mouth

pwooooooooo

HIT+50

MY EMPEROR... I FAILED YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

pwoooooooooooooooooo

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

All aircraft report!

I'm fine, you okay over there Fox?

what thread are we in

Anth0ny

Just skimmed through my History of Sonic book... just came in today.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and packed with information. Goes into a detailed history of Sega and Sonic, the development of each and every mainline Sonic game, and then proceeds to break down every 2D, 3D, Portable and Spinoff title Sonic has ever appeared in. The presentation is fantastic, high resolution art and concept art is found throughout the book, and the text is very detailed (Sonic Retro is one of the sources at the back of the book!)

All in all, worth it for any hardcore Sonic fan. Can't wait to read the entire thing.

And yes... Sonic 06 is in there. There was no attempt to mask the awfulness of the game. The book goes into the incredibly short development time the game was granted, how they had to cut features, and how it was ultimately panned by fans and critics alike... but the music was still great!

Kokonoe

Banned
"Hey! See if I help you again!"

Says Surfer Bill.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and packed with information. Goes into a detailed history of Sega and Sonic, the development of each and every mainline Sonic game, and then proceeds to break down every 2D, 3D, Portable and Spinoff title Sonic has ever appeared in. The presentation is fantastic, high resolution art and concept art is found throughout the book, and the text is very detailed (Sonic Retro is one of the sources at the back of the book!)

All in all, worth it for any hardcore Sonic fan. Can't wait to read the entire thing.

And yes... Sonic 06 is in there. There was no attempt to mask the awfulness of the game. The book goes into the incredibly short development time the game was granted, how they had to cut features, and how it was ultimately panned by fans and critics alike... but the music was still great!

Now I want it. Where did you purchase yours from? Thanks.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I almost want to get a copy, but for the time being I'm on a Tolkien hype ride, so my cashmonies will go towards more Tolkien/Middle-earth-related books.

Well, that and plane tickets to Oslo in January or February (aaaaaand mebbeh tickets to see Lindsey Stirling if I go next month).

I see all this power has gone to Dark Schala's head, what with the threats of moderation being dished out my way...

ie4VDEHaOakDU.gif

:p

EEEYYAAAAAAAARRGGGHH!

*cue the most satisfying series of explosions in video game history*
Yes.

pwooooooooo

HIT+50
YES!

That is literally the explosion sound I use.

Whenever I want to convey explosions I use pwooooooooo
YES!

Also
"I'm no match for you, I admit defeat......IF THIS DOES NOT WORK!"
"I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST TO THIS SCUUUUM!"
Meteo Boss is the best boss.

Okay now with that out of the way, the Sonic book sounds good, £30 is steep but I may look into it.

Any specifics we didn't already know? While it was blatantly rushed the only features I ever heard/saw being cut didn't seem like they'd of impacted the quality of the final game much; cycling between day and night, alternate music, HARD modes, playable Metal Sonic... Most of it just screamed superfluous extras and not something which would've suddenly redeemed S'06.

Pietepiet

We need to celebrate how well Pietepiet & co.'s Old Spice game turned out. I loved it; so many great ideas and it looked fantastic. :D

For friendship! :D

Seriously though, fantastic game. Two of my favorite games this year have been flash games, weirdly enough. (The other being Frog Fractions)

Holy shit Pietepiet, you worked on that? Nice!

Aww, thanks guys! <3
It was quite an insane ride. Fun, but I'm glad we're done now :p

TheOGB: Yeah, I was character and effects animator on that project :)

"I should check in on SonicGAF, it's been a while."

SUDDENLY STARFOX LOVE-IN.

I can deal with that.

Also yes, Pietepiet, your work was ultra-awesome. Just enjoyed the Ending a bit ago.

Star Fox > Starwing
Star Fox 64 < Lylatwars
Genesis <<< Mega Drive
Yoshi's Topsy Turvy <<<<<<<<<<<< Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
Kirby Canvas Curse > Kirby Power Paintbrush
Animal Crossing: City Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City!

definitive list

I still hate they we got Power Paintbrush, Canvas Curse was a much cooler name.
Adventure Wii vs Return to Dreamland, i'm not sure about this one.
What I am sure of is that having just beat the extra mode in it just 30 minutes ago it's the best traditional Kirby game, no arguments possible and this is a cold hard fact.

Other name wars to consider all courtesy of NoE who feel compelled to rename everything.
Pushmo/Crashmo vs PullBlox/FallBlox
Advance Wars Dark Conflict vs Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Sakura Samurai vs Hana Samurai (wtf NoE?!)
Kirby Squeak Squad vs Kirby MOUSE ATTACK (what in the flying fuck NoE?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom