• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

I don't think its possible to find all the Special Rings in Advance 2 without a guide. No person just randomly drops in on one of them, let alone all fucking seven.

I told you that Sonic Blast was shit.

You didn't listen, Nocturnowl. You didn't listen. Blue Marine Zone is chock-full of horrendous stage design, and don't get me started on the general aesthetic of the stupid game. Who designed this? Why? Were they allowed to design other Sonic game levels because I certainly hope this person got a talking to about stage design because yikes.

After a while, I used to play it up to Red Volcano Zone just for the music.

(Last night was fun despite the shitposting. Now I feel smart.)
Oh i'm so happy I could make you feel good about yourself again after your noticeable lack of capitalisation last night, all it took was the Blue Marine Blues to reach this point.

Hey I never said it wasn't shit, I know it's shit, granted my memory had it painted in a not so shitty light that was still shit, the reality is that this game is like wandering into a waterlogged field of cow pat, that horrible trepidation that makes you wonder why you entered such a location in the first place knowing the faecal matter set out before you.

Now that's just not right!

Madness! 3D Blast is boring and bad, but Blast is much, much worse.

My stance on this is quite similar to movies, with an outright bad movie you can at least get some laughs out of how awful it is, with a boring movie you just get bored and nothing else making it more excruciating to watch than an outright bad movie.
Sonic 3D Blast is so bland it makes the dull lilac SNES buttons you yanks have look as colourful as my fruity delicious, DELICIOUS skittles buttons from the PAL SNES controller.

To cleanse my soul I just finished playing Triple Trouble which is actually pretty good up until the last few acts which start bringing in lesser versions of the maze design Blue Marine loves so much, also jittery platforming.
The Knuckles boss feels so flawed, your movement is so sluggish that evading the bombs is like luck, even if you think you just jumped in between them, you didn't, and then you become even more sluggish as a hit stunned, underwater, forced scrolling Sonic tries to move two whole steps to reach a ring which somehow manages to take a full 5 seconds.

But on the whole it was pretty good, i'd actually beaten it before but completely forgot.

I don't remember fighting Knuckles in Triple Trouble, was he an alt boss?

He was the boss of Tidal Plant, it's an underwater fight and he takes a stupid number of hits to finally go down compared to most Sonic bosses.
What's odd is after beating him the next time you see Knuckles is right at the end locked in a cage and Sonic busts him out, then they shake hands like best buds.

qq more

He was the boss of Tidal Plant, it's an underwater fight and he takes a stupid number of hits to finally go down compared to most Sonic bosses.
What's odd is after beating him the next time you see Knuckles is right at the end locked in a cage and Sonic busts him out, then they shake hands like best buds.

Oh wait I remember this now.
I forgot if he was difficult or not though.

I still prefer playing it to 3D Blast though.
What

What

WHAT oh wait you elaborated

My stance on this is quite similar to movies, with an outright bad movie you can at least get some laughs out of how awful it is, with a boring movie you just get bored and nothing else making it more excruciating to watch than an outright bad movie.
Sonic 3D Blast is so bland it makes the dull lilac SNES buttons you yanks have look as colourful as my fruity delicious, DELICIOUS skittles buttons from the PAL SNES controller.
Can't say as I agree; I actually find Sonic 3D genuinely fun to play. A bit on the easy side (at least once I got over some trouble spots, like the angles for Rusty Ruins's boss and Spring Stadium's boss, Volcano Valley's boss in general, and figuring out what in Sam Hill I was supposed to do in Panic Puppet's boss), but I like the visuals and audio (Saturn version, note), and the gameplay's inoffensive enough for me.

Well each to their own, the combination of slow pace, enemy hunting and sketchy isometric platforming kills it for me, I can't actually call it an outright bad game but it does nothing for me.
But I don't particularly enjoy any of Sonic's spin off games anyway, if Mario has the midas touch for that stuff most of the time then Sonic is like the rusted bronze touch at best, outside of the Sega series celebratory games that have Sonic's name slapped on it for sales that is.

Pietepiet

Well each to their own, the combination of slow pace, enemy hunting and sketchy isometric platforming kills it for me, I can't actually call it an outright bad game but it does nothing for me.
But I don't particularly enjoy any of Sonic's spin off games anyway, if Mario has the midas touch for that stuff most of the time then Sonic is like the rusted bronze touch at best, outside of the Sega series celebratory games that have Sonic's name slapped on it for sales that is.

Not even Sonic Battle?

Kokonoe

Banned
I was going to put a little point at the end saying "and no I haven't played Sonic Battle", everyone seems to love that game, it must be the pope of spin off town.

Don't let that fool you. It's kinda fun, but the story mode will most likely cause frustration. It took me forever to beat, but the battling itself is okay and kinda fun. Balance of the characters is way off, though.

qq more

I was going to put a little point at the end saying "and no I haven't played Sonic Battle", everyone seems to love that game, it must be the pope of spin off town.

Well, I definitely didn't like it and but then again I enjoyed Sonic 3D Blast. Sonic The Fighters is a better game IMHO... maybe, actually I can't say because I didn't play enough of it.

w/e Time to play more StF.

EDIT: They should put that Model 2 Collection on E-shop just for off-TV play mode.

Oh yeah, I haven't played Sonic the Fighters either, I guess the idea of a Sonic fighting game in some form just doesn't appeal to me much at all.

Still think Spinball is a decent spin off...tough as nails but with more varied levels/boards to play on, it would be a lot more memorable. A volcano fortress doesn't lead to much in the way of variety.

Sciz

Battle's repetitive and kinda shallow, but there's a good core idea there that manages to shine through. A kickass soundtrack and half-decent writing also help smooth the rough edges away somewhat.

Pietepiet

Been catching up on Archie tonight. Read 225 - 231. Pretty good stuff, though I still don't like the Archie characters like Rotor and Antoine much. Sally is okay I guess.

I'm mostly surprised by how decent some of the game characters (like Shadow) are in the comics.

Sciz

Been catching up on Archie tonight. Read 225 - 231. Pretty good stuff, though I still don't like the Archie characters like Rotor and Antoine much. Sally is okay I guess.

I'm mostly surprised by how decent some of the game characters (like Shadow) are in the comics.

The legacy SatAM cast is kind of a mixed bag. Rotor's barely changed any since 1993, Antoine's actually had a good deal of character development (at the cost of his role as the designated punching bag), and Sally's been riding the "no one really knows what to do with me" rollercoaster since day one. The book's been going through a lot of shakeups lately to try and find places for them in the current age, since understanding who they are and why they're around involves going back to issues printed before the target demographic was born.

But yeah, Ian's generally quite good at finding the value in characters that Sega never had a solid grasp on in the first place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Saw both Skyfall and Wreck-It. I guess I should post impressions later or something? Skyfall was awwwwwwesome, and my bf and I, while we liked Wreck-It Ralph, we felt like it could have been a little better, especially since I guess they paid the royalties to use the characters? I dunno. I also kinda get why he was added to ASR:T's roster now.

I liked the nod to Sonic Sez, though. :lol

Oh i'm so happy I could make you feel good about yourself again after your noticeable lack of capitalisation last night, all it took was the Blue Marine Blues to reach this point.

Hey I never said it wasn't shit, I know it's shit, granted my memory had it painted in a not so shitty light that was still shit, the reality is that this game is like wandering into a waterlogged field of cow pat, that horrible trepidation that makes you wonder why you entered such a location in the first place knowing the faecal matter set out before you.
I don't think I wanted to get to the shift button? I dunno, that usually happens when I get inebriated because I guess I stop caring?

Oh, no, I wanted to reiterate that it was terrible and I had to wonder if anyone playtested that stage at all.

You have much to learn about shitposting. It's not a drunken nocturnal fling- it's a way of life.
Tell me more. :O

(Pretty sure that it'd be a bad thing if I started shitposting.)

Going back to the presidential allegory, would this be impeachment?

Impeachment requires a vote, good sir. And when I was voted in, there was also a clause that I remain king president until I see fit to stop, which means no votes allowed. Why didn't you people read your voting cards when I sent them out??

Skyfall probably is my favourite film i've seen this year but I don't watch many movies so my opinion isn't really worth a damn in this department in all honesty.

Impeachment requires a vote, good sir. And when I was voted in, there was also a clause that I remain king president until I see fit to stop, which means no votes allowed. Why didn't you people read your voting cards when I sent them out??

Because I don't live at 123 fake street.

I say we have ourselves a mutiny.

Man, what movies did I even watch this year

• The Avengers (awesome)
  • Brave (pretty good)
  • The Dark Knight Rises (mostly awesome)
  • Wreck-It Ralph! (really awesome)
  • Skyfall (awesome)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (HFR 3D) (really good - HFR was awesome, but the runtime hit me in the bladder :I)
I forget if there was anything else...

I watched about half of your list Shadow Hog and funnily enough the others are ones that I at least considered.
I feel like the filthy casual of the film industry, now i'm the CoD/FIFA guy!

Pietepiet

Wreck-it Ralph is my favourite film of this year.

Now that we're on the subject of favourite things from 2012: you guys have any fav albums from this year?
Mine are Doseone's "G is for Deep" and Black Moth Super Rainbow's "Cobra Juicy" by far. So good.

I think Avengers and Batmanolan III were the only new release movies I saw this year. Ralph and Hobbit aren't out 'til Boxing Day here.

Now that we're on the subject of favourite things from 2012: you guys have any fav albums from this year?

6wksK.jpg
e5zwR.jpg
Bz3CQ.jpg

Favourite album discussion pisses me off lately because everyone talks about all these rap/hip-hop albums that I just can't get into. More like Good Kid, B.A.A.D. City! But seriously, now the Beastie Boys are over I think I'm done with rap.

It's a bit of a overstated choice by now but Japandroids made what I reckon is the most must-listen album of the year. It's been a good year for rock, young and old, so I'm pretty chuffed.

Not to mention the SonicGAF song of the year!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Best vacation ever, though. It feels so good to not to think of anything.

Aw man, I can't remember which movies I saw this year. I saw a bunch of animated stuff with my brother.
  • The Expendables 2
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Skyfall
  • Hunger Games
  • Titanic
  • The Campaign
  • The Secret World of Arietty
  • Men in Black 3
  • Brave
  • Ice Age: Continental Drift
  • Pirates Band of Misfits
  • Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

OH, you know what I loved in Wreck-It Ralph? How awesome the character animations were in the Wreck-It game. Like... they only have a few frames. And it was so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute. I got such a kick out of that one.

Why didn't you people read your voting cards when I sent them out??
Because you never sent them to the correct addresses!

Pietepiet said:
Probably... uh... (man, this is weird because I don't really listen to non-VGM stuff--seriously!)

• Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
  • Incognito - Surreal
  • Japandroids - Celebration Rock
  • Kara - Pandora (but if minialbums don't count -- Girls Forever, the JP album)
  • EXID - Hippity Hop
  • Ayumi Hamasaki - Love (but if minialbums don't count -- Party Girl)
  • Luna Sea - The One:Crash to Create (ambitious for an album consisting of one 23-minute track)
  • Screw - Biran
  • Halcali - ハルカリノオカワリ

yeah.... I dunno.

Recent Offspring album could've made it if they didn't pull a Rise Against and shifted in a direction I wasn't partial to.

I wish Queens of the Stone Age would release a new album.

I know absolutely nothing about music you buy on CDs and stuff. I know more about video game music.
And a little bit of classical, but I'm no buff there.

• Hunger Games
  • The Secret World of Arietty
Oh, right, I caught both of these at home; the former via Dish's pay-per-view rentals, the latter via Blockbuster.

Y'know, Dad wanted to go see The Amazing Spider-Man; I convinced him to go see Brave instead. I kinda feel bad about that, in retrospect; still haven't seen Spidey...

TheOGB

Banned
Movies this year... I saw:
  • Hunger Games (that was this year, right...?)
  • Avengers
  • Dark Knight Returns
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Amazing Spider-Man

Feels like I missed a few, but whatevs. They were all pretty good. Avengers and Wreck-It Ralph were my faves.
I wanna go see Django Unchained...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom