• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Europeland still call them Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

because that was :lol back in the day. I guess they were afraid kids would attempt to uh...I don't know, turn into mutant ninjutsu-practicing brothers and jump off rooftops or something

Does Europeland still call them Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

because that was :lol back in the day. I guess they were afraid kids would attempt to uh...I don't know, turn into mutant ninjutsu-practicing brothers and jump off rooftops or something

Nope, it's been Ninja Turtles for aaaaaaaaaaages now.

Also, anyone saying the US SNES design is the best needs medical attention.

I like the US SNES design, but I kinda disliked how they didn't keep the rainbow buttons. Yeah, we got concave buttons in exchange, which was cool, but c'mon, I liked the colors.

TheOGB

Banned
Star Fox > Starwing
Star Fox 64 < Lylatwars
Genesis <<< Mega Drive
Yoshi's Topsy Turvy <<<<<<<<<<<< Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
Kirby Canvas Curse > Kirby Power Paintbrush
Animal Crossing: City Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City!

definitive list
I'm down with everything except this.

Adventure Wii vs Return to Dreamland, i'm not sure about this one.
What I am sure of is that having just beat the extra mode in it just 30 minutes ago it's the best traditional Kirby game, no arguments possible and this is a cold hard fact.
Hell yeah

Sonic World Adventure > Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Rush 3 > Sonic Colours DS
Sonic City Hill Adventure > Sonic Generations
Nope
no tricks

color >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> colour
The gap is not that big. I'd say it's actually so small that color
pwzkB.png
colour

Also, anyone saying the US SNES design is the best needs medical attention.
The truest statement of all regarding this topic.

There's a time and place for both. ...but generally I'll be a traitor and say "ass".

I think Arse sounds more venomous, if I use Ass it's more laid back, but when Arse arrives then you know that this is the real deal, it's coming in as a true curse word and everyone should be aware.
Fortunately i'm a jolly old gent, Sonic Gaf is more Asses than Arses.

TheOGB

Banned

Quackula

The truest statement of all regarding this topic.

Seriously though I've never quite understood the hate the internet seems to have for the US SNES design. I don't see what the problem is.

Then again, I don't get the love the internet has for the Panasonic Q's look either.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like both the Panasonic Q and the US SNES design. The US SNES design is much more slick than the SFamicom, and everything clashes a lot better. Plus I like purple more than skittle buttons.

Quackula

I like both the Panasonic Q and the US SNES design. The US SNES design is much more slick than the SFamicom, and everything clashes a lot better. Plus I like purple more than skittle buttons.

The Q feels like the total opposite of the normal Gamecube. Gamecube was compact and sleek, the Q seems so bulky and bulging by comparison.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Q feels like the total opposite of the normal Gamecube. Gamecube was compact and sleek, the Q seems so bulky and bulging by comparison.

Well it's kind of the purpose of it. I mean I prefer the normal cube(N64 and Gamecube are my favorite consoles), but I still like the Q since it's a more 'classy'(actually, I'm not sure that's the word) version of it. Platinum and Purple are my favorite GC colors. Too bad there wasn't a whole lot of colors for it, though.

qq more

For some weird reason I like the skittle buttons more on the controllers but at the same time like the US SNES design the most. But for consistency's sake I'd stick with the US controllers, the purple color scheme is still nice.

Nintendo sure loved purple as the main color for the SNES, GBA and Gamecube.

qq more

I have a Mega Man X controller but the analog's rubber wore off and the cheap plastic for the analog got chipped. No idea how it happened either. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We decided to get that Fireball whiskey and I got ... some... Bacardi breezer whose flavour I forgot.

So if I drunk post later on, you'll know why. No Sonic 2006 playing, though, because I'm not at home. I finally decided to take a vacation and I'm so damn happy about it. :D

We decided to get that Fireball whiskey and I got ... some... Bacardi breezer whose flavour I forgot.

So if I drunk post later on, you'll know why. No Sonic 2006 playing, though, because I'm not at home. I finally decided to take a vacation and I'm so damn happy about it. :D

Great, now i've got this craving for the basic but enjoyable Fireball and Apple Juice long drink.
For that we'll have Sonic Gaf send a copy of 06 to your vacation spot, remember you're obligated to play it because it was sent to you, your words not mine.

Meanwhile i'm drinking some hardcore mother fudgin' tea while watching Die Hard 2, clearly I win this round. Okay I don't but if it were the first Die Hard then well the tables would turn in my favour.

Anth0ny

Fireball used to be my drink of choice

then at some point it just started to make me sick. god i'm old.

TheOGB

Banned
I got a 3DS XL yesterday. Are ANY Sonic games available for the system worth a purchase? I've played a bit of my friend's copy of Generations, is there any more to it that make it worth owning alongside the HD versions? Should I check out Triple Trouble/VC in general or is my money better spent on eShop originals?

Also, Sonic Blast is coming...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I got a 3DS XL yesterday. Are ANY Sonic games available for the system worth a purchase? I've played a bit of my friend's copy of Generations, is there any more to it that make it worth owning alongside the HD versions? Should I check out Triple Trouble/VC in general or is my money better spent on eShop originals?

Whatever you do, never ever go near Sonic Blast. Even Hitler would consider that thing to be a crime against humanity.

Honestly Generations 3DS is kind of lame, if you can get it for cheap it's worth a shake but it's clearly a rushed product, Classic Sonic feels wasted in that...
- The Mega Drive/Genesis stages are just copies of original acts
- Everything afterwards has the homing attack

You should've got a PAL 3DS so you could have Sonic Blast RIGHT NOW!
No but spend your money on e-shop originals, even the better GG Sonic titles aren't exactly amazing.

TheOGB

Banned
That's pretty much how I was feeling. I was pondering on this last night but ended up getting Pushmo and Crashmo instead. Still had some room in my "gaming budget" so I thought I'd ask. Any other opinions? If not I'll either get Super Street Fighter IV or just wait a while before getting anything else.

Honestly Generations 3DS is kind of lame, if you can get it for cheap it's worth a shake but it's clearly a rushed product, Classic Sonic feels wasted in that...
- The Mega Drive/Genesis stages are just copies of original acts
- Everything afterwards has the homing attack

You should've got a PAL 3DS so you could have Sonic Blast RIGHT NOW!
No but spend your money on e-shop originals, even the better GG Sonic titles aren't exactly amazing.

That's pretty much how I was feeling. I was pondering on this last night but ended up getting Pushmo and Crashmo instead. Still had some room in my "gaming budget" so I thought I'd ask. Any other opinions? If not I'll either get Super Street Fighter IV or just wait a while before getting anything else.

Funny thing, I picked-up the 3DS version of Generations last Saturday(knowing full well of the laziness involved) because Target had it for $16...figured I'd have it ready for whenever I got a 3DS...which turned out to be Monday (Thank you Toys R Us for price matching K-mart's ad PLUS accepting a groupon I had).

I actually finished the story today, though it might have been sooner if I was more compelled to do so. While I wouldn't call it an awful game, it was certainly felt rushed and lazy if that makes any sense.

There were some decent moments, but it was constantly hampered by the design choices made which led to some cheap shots and deaths happening more than it should...I was also disappointed by how the story/cutscenes played out, why can't we get some game rendered and cg cutscenes? Colors DS at least gave us the latter even if they were short...this is a more powerful system! let loose!

The forced homing attack didn't sit well with me either. oh and another thing? I also never ever want to play Biolizard/the special stages again. I will given them some credit for having a slightly better Time Eater, though towards the end that credit was almost taken back.

I'll think about going back to finishing up the missions and replaying some of the stages...but I think even after some time to let it sink it, I would still call this game a missed opportunity and not tapping it's potential.

Get it cheap (like less than $15, I still felt I was slightly robbed after the target sale) or rent/borrow, because to me Dimps' output these days is not worth the standard asking price.

I'm thinking of getting RE Revelaitons some point soon, until then I have a few other titles to play (I only I could find some decent screen protectors at a good price)...but hells yes to getting Triple Trouble, I love it to this day, certainly a more entertaining game to say the very least.

qq more

Funny thing, I picked-up the 3DS version of Generations last Saturday(knowing full well of the laziness involved) because Target had it for $16...figured I'd have it ready for whenever I got a 3DS...which turned out to be Monday (Thank you Toys R Us for price matching K-mart's ad PLUS accepting a groupon I had).

I actually finished the story today, though it might have been sooner if I was more compelled to do so. While I wouldn't call it an awful game, it was certainly felt rushed and lazy if that makes any sense.

There were some decent moments, but it was constantly hampered by the design choices made which led to some cheap shots and deaths happening more than it should...I was also disappointed by how the story/cutscenes played out, why can't we get some game rendered and cg cutscenes? Colors DS at least gave us the latter even if they were short...this is a more powerful system! let loose!

The forced homing attack didn't sit well with me either. oh and another thing? I also never ever want to play Biolizard/the special stages again. I will given them some credit for having a slightly better Time Eater, though towards the end that credit was almost taken back.

I'll think about going back to finishing up the missions and replaying some of the stages...but I think even after some time to let it sink it, I would still call this game a missed opportunity and not tapping it's potential.

Get it cheap (like less than $15, I still felt I was slightly robbed after the target sale) or rent/borrow, because to me Dimps' output these days is not worth the standard asking price.
I got it for 15 dollars too. I seriously would not pay any more than that. It's fun when you aren't in the Dreamcast Era or rival races but it's truly a missed opportunity and largely uninspired. I'm really disappointed they ignored the portable titles outside of Sonic Rush and Colors DS (and even then they based Modern's Act on the Wii game). Soooo much untapped potential there and they just didn't care enough to try.

but hells yes to getting Triple Trouble, I love it to this day, certainly a more entertaining game to say the very least.

Triple Trouble is truly under-appreciated, I'm glad to see that game getting love. Even though it's very short and can be completed maybe under an hour, it's still such a fun game. I should go for a 100% run sometime.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Great, now i've got this craving for the basic but enjoyable Fireball and Apple Juice long drink.
dammit we shoulda tried that

maaaaaan...

also both names are fine

genesis is cool cuz its for marketing and megadrives cool cuz it sounds like a name for some electronic thingy

also apparently theres a bachelorette party in this hotel they're really loud and i guess theyre drunk

Pietepiet

IMG_1306.JPG

Aaaaaand done! Beat with all characters, seven emeralds each.

No cheats used, by the way. The only semi-cheat I used was a location guide for the Special Rings.

As my Beefmas gift to you all I decided i'd follow up on my many jokes about Sonic Blast by actually trying to replay it.

Kicking off with the ever loved green hill zone, except GHZ looks a bit worse for ware, gone is the chequered earth, replaced with gritty brown, the background seems to have vanished as well. At this point I realize how this game both looks and sounds like some kind of Sonic bootleg, any of the games character is washed away with this sort of pre rendered abomination, actually it's an insult to pre rendered sprites to be compared to this shit here.
Act 1 is one of the most straightforward stages in Sonic history, Sonic is HUGE and the viewing area of the screen is tiny, fortunately the games sort of slow so you can still react to the enemies.

We move on to Yellow Desert which actually looks a lot better than Green Hill, in what must have been the shortest act ever I beat act 1 in like 12 seconds, seems that bypassing the tubes cuts out the lower caves and just lets you skip to the exit, delightful. Act 2 takes place inside a pyramid, I think, there's this odd bit at the back where Sonic magically flies across the screen by...holes? craters in the wall? I have no idea what the hell they were driving at with this and the shoddy visuals tell me nothing.
What I didn't expect was Eggman to come flying in on a cloud poking me with a staff, i'm sure there's an Eastern mythology reference here somewhere, one that seems out of place in a pyramid.

Red Volcano continues the amazing naming trend though the location looks more grotty magenta to me, having steamrollered up to this point in like 10 minutes Act 2 finally brings the pain, the small screen syndrome hits hard as stretches of Lava, scalding steam shoots and fire bubbles revel in their unseen advantage. The boss battle has you running around on some small platform while Eggman bops up and down in a spring bot, it feels incredibly out of place.

But here's the reason i'm actually here, BLUE MARINE ZONE.
So let me break this down for you all, i've been in the opening area of act 1 for over 5 minutes now, what in the blue hell is this?! GUYS WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! There's no words to accurately describe this wretched abomination of piss poor stage design, I can't even see the correct route, all the pipes either send my backwards or send my forwards straight into unavoidable currents that drag me backwards, I don't think I can hold out much longer, I feel like i've spent longer in this one stage than the rest of the game, I can't even reach the first checkpoint, i'll try to hold out a bit longer but this act is breaking my spirit...
Edit: FOUND IT! jeezum crackers that was stupid and easily missable, after escaping the pipe maze I found a checkpoint and literally one jump away from it was the stage exit...WHY?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND! WHY SEGA?! WHY?!
After slogging through the even more maze like act 2 i've come to the conclusion that no one ever solved the riddle of Blue Marine Zone's shitastic design until I conquered it because the Act 3 boss seems completely broke.
The attack pattern is as basic as a first zone boss but it takes place underwater...and there's no air bubbles, I think I saw one on my first attempt a few seconds into the fight but through my 3 next attempts I saw none, at all, no air, just death.

Eggman's won guys, all he had to do was make me fight in an underwater deathmatch and wait for Sonic to drown, i'm done, i'm finished, I can abide no more of this atrocity.
I have the option to continue but no way, i'm bailing the hell out!

iX8ssGTNWGzfR.gif

I still prefer playing it to 3D Blast though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I told you that Sonic Blast was shit.

You didn't listen, Nocturnowl. You didn't listen. Blue Marine Zone is chock-full of horrendous stage design, and don't get me started on the general aesthetic of the stupid game. Who designed this? Why? Were they allowed to design other Sonic game levels because I certainly hope this person got a talking to about stage design because yikes.

After a while, I used to play it up to Red Volcano Zone just for the music.

(Last night was fun despite the shitposting. Now I feel smart.)

Pietepiet said:
Aaaaaand done! Beat with all characters, seven emeralds each.

No cheats used, by the way. The only semi-cheat I used was a location guide for the Special Rings.
Congrats, and I wouldn't think that's cheating at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom