• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

I was playing Racing Transformed with a friend the other day and he said he wished Robotnik was in it. I assumed he was just talking about the name in the game and I said it made no difference but it turns out he thought that Gerald Robotnik from SA2 was the original Robotnik from the Mega Drive games and from Adventure onwards the Eggman in those was a completely different person (like how Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong).

Boy did I sound like a fucking crazy person trying to explain the Robotnik family line.

TheOGB

Banned
I was playing Racing Transformed with a friend the other day and he said he wished Robotnik was in it. I assumed he was just talking about the name in the game and I said it made no difference but it turns out he thought that Gerald Robotnik from SA2 was the original Robotnik from the Mega Drive games and from Adventure onwards the Eggman in those was a completely different person (like how Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong).

Boy did I sound like a fucking crazy person trying to explain the Robotnik family line.
That's not the first time I've heard this but it still seems to blow my mind every time

The Tekken Kuma (or Roger? Alex?) thing doesn't blow my mind, it just confuses me :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Thought I'd post this here since we are the SEGA posse.

I got Schthack private server to work on Dolphin thanks to 3.5.

Video of it working. Check it out!

Welcome to the first ever widescreen PSO.

ibo1QtUrmTXpeI.png

ibmSAc3ZNXHDmQ.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...guys, my bro got me Bah Bah 2 for me help me oh god that means I have to play it while he watches. He can't hear the soundtrack, so I'm the one who has to suffer unless I turn the volume down. ;____;

My boyfriend's joke gift to me was a Justin Bieber Christmas CD. I didn't know what to do so I laughed heartily. I have to listen to it tonight. Feels bad, man.

(You know I'm kidding, btw. I'm incredibly thankful, but I'd rather do the giving rather than the receiving.)

I got Schthack private server to work on Dolphin thanks to 3.5.

Video of it working. Check it out!

Welcome to the first ever widescreen PSO.
Whoa, that's amazing. It looks really darn good too.

Kokonoe

Banned
Whoa, that's amazing. It looks really darn good too.

Yeah it does! and the thing is, if you have a Wii with homebrew, you can just copy your savefile (if you have one) with GC Memcard Manager from wiibrew and put it on a SD card and bam, on Dolphin.

I got nothin'.

Luckily for me qq more was pretty generous and gave me 40$ because of my misfortune, so yes, thank you for that qq more!

And I hope you guys got hearty dinners. We cooked too much. :(

I had Frosted Mini Wheats alone in my dining room. Well, not alone, I had FFIII on PSP with me.

AssCreed3
$200 from my grandma (with more money on the way from other relatives)
A big container filled with 3 kinds of popcorn

I didn't really ask for a lot this year, especially regarding games. Not a whole lot came out this year that I was excited for. :/

...guys, my bro got me Bah Bah 2 for me help me oh god that means I have to play it while he watches. He can't hear the soundtrack, so I'm the one who has to suffer unless I turn the volume down. ;____;

My sister got me NSMB2 for Christmas as well. Pleasantly surprised that the level design and controls are so far at least on par with NSMBWii and light years ahead of the original, but jesus christ the music is awful. It's all the more apparent when I was also given MK7 and Sticker Star which have wonderful, jazzy soundtracks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, some of you are so silly! :p

Did a lot of people get AC3 this year? Seems like the Christmas haul thread was full of people saying that.

Yeah it does! and the thing is, if you have a Wii with homebrew, you can just copy your savefile (if you have one) with GC Memcard Manager from wiibrew and put it on a SD card and bam, on Dolphin.
Homebrew was probably one of the best (and maybe worst if you take into account piracy, but... well, whatever) things that ever happened to the Wii. It makes stuff like this possible. Then Dolphin was one of the best things that happened with Wii/GC games.

Also, makes it region-free which was the most important thing to me.

I had Frosted Mini Wheats alone in my dining room. Well, not alone, I had FFIII on PSP with me.
Aw... :(
If I could, I'd send you some of the cakes (seriously, whole cakes because we made 4), other desserts, and food we made because we truly made more than we should have, so we're going to give stuff away. But then international shipping might turn it into a really soggy mess by the time it gets to you. :/

I got two Christmas dinners.

One with my mom's side of the family, the other with my dad's side.

So good.
We used to do something like that. My intermediate family would have our dinner, and then we'd go to my aunt's for a huge family get-together.

Now since everyone has families/girlfriends/kids of their own, their dinners are crap. This year, they went out for Chinese food. And I was like, "wtf, why would you do that when you people are perfectly capable of cooking good food? We can't even play video games together like that. v_v" So we didn't end up going to that because my parents thought my relatives were insane.

A big container filled with 3 kinds of popcorn
I love those so much.

Pietepiet

Me and the girlfriend had two dinners, one at each family. Her family didn't do gifts (since we did the Dutch gift-giving holiday Sinterklaas on Dec 5th), and my folks gave us both some money.

It was pretty good, but I'm glad I have some time for myself tonight and tomorrow, finally. Been waiting for a day to just play games since Old Spice project ended

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

My boyfriend's joke gift to me was a Justin Bieber Christmas CD. I didn't know what to do so I laughed heartily. I have to listen to it tonight. Feels bad, man.

(You know I'm kidding, btw. I'm incredibly thankful, but I'd rather do the giving rather than the receiving.)

teehee :3

Makes me think of a rather hilarious situation yesterday. A friend of mine was up here for Christmas with her boyfriend to celebrate Christmas with her family, and I was visiting them. I was joking around with Craig, and Lisa chipped in with some playful banter about how he would always criticize people, and somehow ended up saying 'You always go down on me at parties'. I obviously got the gist of what she intended to say, but it did sound rather amusing right there and then :lol

Later on Craig was complaining about his tongue hurting (because he'd licked a frozen metal torch (don't ask) the night before). I was so tempted to make a quip about his tongue hurting because he'd gone down on Lisa. Would've done it too, hadn't her mum been there.

Oh, and they gave me this year's bestest Christmas present: a set of bagpipes. Sure, it's a starter practicing set for kids where the drones don't work, only the chanter, but fuck it, I HAVE BAGPIPES! I've wanted bagpipes since I was a kid, since Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck comics made me fall in love with Scotland and scottish culture (and Craig happens to be from Glasgow), but a good set of Great Highlands Bagpipes have always been too pricey for what I'd be willing to spend on something I'd probably never learn to play anyway :lol

Fuck yeah, bagpipes!

Asterix and Obelix is awesome. Are those a couple of the movies or collected editions of the comic?

Comic omnibuses, three stories to a book. I used to read the comics at the school library as a kid but never really owned any of them myself so they joined The Simpsons DVDs on the "get me one of those that I don't have yet if you can't think of anything for Christmas/my birthday/etc." list. Love 'em.

My Christmas Haul:

- Batman Beyond The Complete Series Boxset
- Sonic Jam (I don't know how my family knew I was looking for this game)
- Simpsons Seasons 5-10
- $300
- Breath of Fire Complete Works

I neglected to get a few slices of cheesecake to take back home from my parents' house, though. :|

Yeah, we made too much food too. Guess my mum didn't account for my sister not being here this year. Oh well, it'll serve us well over the next week or so!

I got:

-Cabin in the Woods Blu-Ray
-Dark Knight Trilogy Blu-Ray
-X-Men First Class Blu-Ray
-Far Cry 3 (PS3)
-a clothes shop voucher
-chocolate

I'm getting more when I see my dad today- hopefully he'll have copies of Binary Domain and Sonic Racing waiting for me. :D

I don't remember everything I got, but the big things I do remember:

• B.D. Joe and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U - what was the bug that people were having? I haven't encountered it yet.)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (Wii U)
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Blu-Ray
  • The Dark Knight Trilogy Blu-Ray set
  • $40 to spend at GameStop (gonna see if I can't track down Metroid Prime Trilogy)
  • A digital wall clock, so I can tell what friggin' time it is at night without trying to discern it from a small alarm clock across the room that my near-sighted self can barely make out (and to replace the analog clock that's decided that it is 8:42 all day every day)
  • Some pens
  • Some winter-themed Nerds box
  • Pants
  • Socks
I'm also supposed to get a code to slap some money in my Steam Wallet, but since that hasn't happened yet, I went and bought myself SA2 + DLC. Oh nooooo, I'm out $6.50, aaaaaah

Others got more impressive gifts; brother got a laptop (which is strictly for homework only, which is fair enough since it has a shitty Intel HD Graphics chipset and wouldn't run Steam games well anyway), sister got a Surface tablet (which she spent a lot of time with moaning about how her old Microsoft/Xbox account is tied to an e-mail she never uses), mother got The New iPad (I'm not an Apple fan so whatev). Brother also got Paper Mario Sticker Star, which makes me mildly envious since I still need like 120 Club Nintendo coins to get a gold nunchaku and complete my collection of golden Wii controllers argh

Aside from playing a lot of BDJaASRT and Scribblenauts, I spent a crapload of time working on touching up an old SRB2 map that I'd rather like to see make 2.1, whenever we release it.

qq more

The Wii U bug was the lack of checkpoints in the Boost Challenges due to an error in the first patch. The second patch fixed it.

Ah, then I've nothing to worry about, since I've done a couple of Boost Challenges already with no issue.

Also, I got Alex Kidd as a Christmas present from Sumo. Thank you, S0L!

My Christmas Haul:

- Batman Beyond The Complete Series Boxset

- Sonic Jam (I don't know how my family knew I was looking for this game)
- Simpsons Seasons 5-10
- $300
- Breath of Fire Complete Works

I neglected to get a few slices of cheesecake to take back home from my parents' house, though. :|

You have the best family in the world. :p

Y'know, it's funny, but over the years I've begun to appreciate the more practical gifts more and more.

Like, that clock is gonna really be useful, and more pants means longer times between laundry loads - which is good, because it seems like every time I want to do laundry, somebody else does, too.

Y'know, it's funny, but over the years I've begun to appreciate the more practical gifts more and more.

The best X-Mas gift I've gotten in years was this electronic jar that counts all the change you have. I've been leaving change lying around for years, and now I can store it somewhere, and even trade it in for dollar bills later on.

TheOGB

Banned
Some good ass down south eatin', $85 and a Goldfish snack container.

I ain't even mad! :D
Technically I bought my own gift of a 3DS XL and some games.

iavi

Amazon's given me yet another release date my pre-order of Pix N Love's gigantic "History of Sonic" retrospective: Jan 17th is now the date.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I found out that the SNES controller doesn't have lilac buttons, they are lavender. How do I know this? I opened up my SNES controller I just received in the mail to clean it, and on the inside of the shell it states which colors should go in which spot for the buttons. It even states for the SFamicom color buttons. (Green, Blue, Red, Yellow) I take it those buttons fit in this controller and I could have purple and green buttons if I wanted. Neato.

=D! Now to swap files for Neo Metal Sonic only. Really looks great. Haven't touched Sonic Generations on PC since I got my GTX 670 and i7 3770k so maybe I can up the settings to dangerously Sonic levels.

Aw... :(
If I could, I'd send you some of the cakes (seriously, whole cakes because we made 4), other desserts, and food we made because we truly made more than we should have, so we're going to give stuff away. But then international shipping might turn it into a really soggy mess by the time it gets to you. :/

I appreciate the thought, however! that's what counts.

BlackJace

Luckily for me qq more was pretty generous and gave me 40$ because of my misfortune, so yes, thank you for that qq more!

Actually I did get stuff for xmas haha. "I got nothin'" was referring to the innuendo conversation above me. I was trying to think of something witty to reply, but alas.

What was SonicGAF's haul, anyway?

And I hope you guys got hearty dinners. We cooked too much. :(

Not a whole lot. It's been a real rough year for us but I guess I can't really complain a ton:

• $50 toward a new HDD, which are still priced upwards of $70-$100 on Newegg. Hopefully I get paid enough in the next couple weeks to push me over the edge so I can buy a nice one and get my PC back up and running.
  • 8 new pairs of ultra-comfy wool winter socks
  • a new pair of slippers
  • A light that clips on to the bill of a hat so you can have a hat-mounted flashlight (I love this more than I should)
  • Sonic Adventure 2, Battle DLC, Half-Minute Hero, Prince of Persia 2008, and Hotline Miami from Steam
  • My own copy of Multimedia Fusion 2, which isn't here yet, but should be arriving tomorrow. (this is a program sort of like GameMaker)

Also, I won a Steam giveaway for Titan Quest on another forum and in passing that copy to somebody else, he offered to send me his old 3DS when he buys an XL in May as long as I pay shipping. But maybe that doesn't count as a Christmas present.

We had a fairly big ham dinner last night. It was good enough that even though I haven't been feeling too well lately I ended up eating it all.

I have to say sega1991 you have had some bad luck with HDD's over the years :(

Regular copy of MMF2? also retail disc? I thought clickteam only did digital now.

qq more

Not a whole lot. It's been a real rough year for us but I guess I can't really complain a ton:

• $50 toward a new HDD, which are still priced upwards of $70-$100 on Newegg. Hopefully I get paid enough in the next couple weeks to push me over the edge so I can buy a nice one and get my PC back up and running.
  • 8 new pairs of ultra-comfy wool winter socks
  • a new pair of slippers
  • A light that clips on to the bill of a hat so you can have a hat-mounted flashlight (I love this more than I should)
  • Sonic Adventure 2, Battle DLC, Half-Minute Hero, Prince of Persia 2008, and Hotline Miami from Steam
  • My own copy of Multimedia Fusion 2, which isn't here yet, but should be arriving tomorrow. (this is a program sort of like GameMaker)
MMF2 is so awesome, although flawed and outdated in spots but I'd use that over crappy GameMaker anyday. God, I HATE GameMaker. So so annoying to use!

In speaking of... did you hear that it's going to support Vita runtimes?

Also what I got for Christmas:
Zone of Enders
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Paper Mario 3DS
NSMB2
Tekken 2 Wii U

Also, interesting enough today is my dad's birthday so we got him a football game and Borderlands today.

I have to say sega1991 you have had some bad luck with HDD's over the years :(

Regular copy of MMF2? also retail disc? I thought clickteam only did digital now.

Yeah, real bad HDD problems. Problems in general, really, but two days before my birthday I had a 5 year old HDD start acting funny. A friend sent me a 1tb HDD he wasn't using, but apparently that one was also bad as Windows started throwing up data corruption errors right out of the gate.

Unfortunately by the time I identified it was the drive and not some other Windows problem, it was too close to Christmas for me to consider spending money on myself (it'd make me feel horrible if I did that).

And yeah, apparently, this is a retail copy. I had a choice between digital or a physical disc and I chose a physical disc just because that seems like it would be more difficult to lose. Fedex says it is supposed to arrive by the 27th, but the tracking number hasn't been updated since the 22nd. :\

MMF2 is so awesome, although flawed and outdated in spots but I'd use that over crappy GameMaker anyday. God, I HATE GameMaker. So so annoying to use!

In speaking of... did you hear that it's going to support Vita runtimes?

That's pretty cool! Does it make me weird that I'm more excited for an XNA runtime, though? I dunno why, but that always seemed more appealing to me than iPhone. It's cheaper, too - $70 vs. $120. Sure, Xbox Indies are notoriously hard to advertise, and the Xbox Indies platform probably won't extend past this generation of hardware, but I think it would be awesome to make and sell a game on there... one day.

qq more

Don't you have a Gamecube

No no no, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about to develop games for! I wouldn't actually skip systems for lack of good D-Pads. (Although I definitely skipped the 360 for different reasons, not that it's a bad console or anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom