• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a GOTY myself, Sonic Racing actually disappointed me quite a bit although I do like it, it's just not GOTY material for me.

Well, if Sonic Racing was your grand GOTY hope, maybe you need to broaden your horizons. :p

I'm dying to crack open XCOM. Journey is my GOTY, I'm eager to see if it beats it out.

qq more

Is it me or was this year full of disappointments for a lot of fans?

ME3, RE6, AC3, Paper Mario, NG3 (PS3/360 at least)... all disappointed their respective fan bases.

And Sonic 4 Episode II sucked but IDK if that counts as disappointment because let's be honest... did we expected a lot from that awful game?

EDIT: Oh how could I forget? Diablo III was apparently a major disappointment too!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll respond to Nocturnowl's post later because I'm going to be in the thick of Journey in a sec, but...

tiggerkiddo said:
My potential game of the year might be XIII-2, that's not exactly setting high standards...Noel made that game for me, darnit!
Man, I'm keeping FF13-2 off my list. I guess I felt bored while playing it and it wasn't until Noi convinced me to give the DLC a shot that I actually enjoyed some of the stuff the systems had to offer (like, a lot of the stuff that mattered in FF13's harder hunt battles mattered here, and then some because you have to customize monsters specifically for one DLC battle--which is how the monster rearing should have been like). And then I became frustrated at how they made the game piss easy and saved all the hard and better stuff for DLC.

Like... if I can get through the game and use monsters in my party for only one (well, two, technically) battle in the entire game? Something's wrong with your game design. And let's not get started on how poor the quest strings are or how the game didn't feel cohesive or how a lot of the mechanics seemed to straight-up pander to different audiences in a desperate attempt to satisfy everyone.

...I don't hate the game. I'm just disappointed that it feels... so... weird in terms of design. I dunno. I can't give that game a free pass, even if I liked the characters and Noel's animations.

Yes.

I can't even remember what games I've played this year since before about September. All I know is that I'm playing Asura's Wrath at the moment and it's the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.
I'm still so torn on the game, loved most boss battles, loved the aesthetics and characters, found the combat sections got increasingly more annoying as the game went on due to the incredibly lacking options in combat combined with increasingly more irritating enemy types and finally I find most rail shooting bits flat out awful.
It's a game that goes for the experience angle like others this year, it has more gameplay then these sort of games usually do as well but when the gameplay they've put in can be outright bad then it makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been a bit better off with less of it, basically I just really don't like most of the shooting bits.

But I did enjoy the game and it left a lasting impression at any rate, I guess I feel it's pretty solid and well worth trying but reeks of missed opportunity, slap some improved gameplay in there and you'd have a true great.

ME3, RE6, AC3, Paper Mario, NG3 (PS3/360 at least)... all disappointed their respective fan bases.

And Sonic 4 Episode II sucked but IDK if that counts as disappointment because let's be honest... did we expected a lot from that awful game?

EDIT: Oh how could I forget? Diablo III was apparently a major disappointment too!
It does look that way, while big games will always have the capacity to disappoint some series fans I don't think there's ever been a year quite like this one, question is are we all being too judgemental or are the directions the main industry has started shifting in ones that don't sit well with many people? it's probably the second point unfortunately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
These aren't the same jokers who gave us Chrono Trigger.
Kitase's still there and he co-directed the thing. Now they have their equivalent of Old Sonic Team working on their games, which has lead to questionable design decisions.

Everything by Koshiro is godlike, the rest is servicable. You're not insane.
Oh, thank goodness. I thought I was kind of nuts looking at the soundtracks thread and the various VGM threads on GAF.

Maybe this is like the feeling I have for the Nier Soundtrack, I know it's good, there are a few tracks I enjoy but I ultimately don't care much for it, at least not to the level of its praise then again i'm in hotter water here since it tends to be considered the best soundtrack of this generation.
...You did say we were safe in this corner of GAF right? yeah, of course we are after all no one has come down on the heathens here who don't like the soundtrack to- aww you already know what i'm going to say here.
Yes! I know a lot of people who don't like Nier's soundtrack just because it has vocals in it, so you're certainly not alone in your opinion. I imagine that I would get tired of the BGMs in that game if I were forced to listen to them over and over while hunting things down, but hey! It has a custom soundtrack option! Yaaaaaaay. I wish more games on PS3 would allow for custom soundtracks, but what can you do.

Not being much of a game is the new being a game!
No but really i've enjoyed a fair amount of games that are lacking in outright traditional gameplay, quite a few from this year in fact so really these games thrive based on the emotional reaction you elicit from them, so often it's either the best thing since sliced bread or you stand by bewildered while everyone cries tears of unparalleled joy about the emotional rollercoaster they experienced that meant nothing much to you at all.

You can beat Journey pretty swiftly so you might as well get it out the way, on one hand you may fall into the undying love crowd in which case it was more than worth trying it, alternatively you end up like me thinking that it at least looked nice and was pretty enjoyable for its duration but nothing more.....where's MY emotional breakthrough and life changing experience?!
Unfortunately the soundtrack doesn't do much for me either, actually that's a good point to add, worth you checking it out for its SotY potential, it's one of the frontrunners in that department as well I believe.
I noticed that with a lot of games this year. Heck, even a bunch of games I would put on my list wouldn't qualify as games to other people. It's the year of the anti-AAA, maybe? Or the year of disappointing endings? Or the year of disappointments?

I imagine that Journey's claim to fame lies in its multiplayer and trying to get through the game with someone else? I dunno. I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet because I thought it'd be more of a contextual sort of soundtrack. But I'm starting it up now so we'll see how it goes.

Can you believe that the Journey Collection is forcing me to install the game because reasons? I don't understand the logic here. The average playtime for Journey is... 1:30, right?

You collect the coins to feel good about yourself I guess? there's an awful title screen based reward for hitting the million mark that i'll likely never bother reaching
Oh, screw that. Sounds unfun.

But ultimately there's something oddly satisfying as you explode a group of enemies into coin bonuses with the golden flower whilst sprinting along with a coin block head as nearby pipes start vomiting coins all over the shop.
Shame that the difficulty kind of caps at the Ice World and never steps up much further and that includes the star world/world 9 stages.
Yeah, the coin block head is pretty fun to run around with and watching everything explode into 1Up currency is the best. I'm surprised they never thought of such a powerup before, but it does make the game easier than it should be.

Yes! I know a lot of people who don't like Nier's soundtrack just because it has vocals in it, so you're certainly not alone in your opinion. I imagine that I would get tired of the BGMs in that game if I were forced to listen to them over and over while hunting things down, but hey! It has a custom soundtrack option! Yaaaaaaay. I wish more games on PS3 would allow for custom soundtracks, but what can you do.
The actual vocals don't bother me in the sense that they dare to have vocals, i'd say they make up the best and defining parts of the soundtrack but I couldn't shake the feeling that a lot of the soundtrack sounds pretty similar, it all sort of blended into one, even tracks that have a completely different style tend to either draw from an already used source melody.
Then again the game basically repeating itself in the last half did this point no favours and then there's the replays on top of that.

I'll leave most of my Journey MP thoughts aside for now but if you've yet to start it i'll say that 1:30 sounds about right, a bit longer if you wish to amble around a bit for various reasons.

Pietepiet

I have no idea what my GOTY is... Probably Journey?

http://twntytwlv.com/ Here's some good shit for people saying 2012 didn't have any good games (not that you guys are saying this, but I hear this a lot for some reason). Not a lot of these managed to hold my interest because I'm a very picky person, but damn there's some fine games on this list.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Alright, Nocturnowl, you're free to tell me stuff about Journey MP now. Just finished it and I wanna hear your story. Before I dive into mine, I mean.

They would be wise to bring Uematsu back for starters.
But his recent output has been terrible outside of two albums.

Nocturnowl said:
The actual vocals don't bother me in the sense that they dare to have vocals, i'd say they make up the best and defining parts of the soundtrack but I couldn't shake the feeling that a lot of the soundtrack sounds pretty similar, it all sort of blended into one, even tracks that have a completely different style tend to either draw from an already used source melody.
I understand that. I know the vocalist herself penned the lyrics, but perhaps it wouldn't have sounded so samey if they had other people joining in?

I'll have to listen to his recent stuff to see if that's even true...I also wouldn't mind if they had Yoko compose some tunes for Final Fantasy as well. Her Kingdom Hearts stuff is excellent and so is...well darn near everything else she composes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even in this corner of GAF, I'm not allowed to talk about what I think of Yoko Shimomura's Kingdom Hearts work, right?

>.>

<.<

*keeps quiet*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I'll ever play Kingdom Hearts, it looks kind of mehhhhhhhh
It's boring. The Disney fanservice is nice but otherwise, I thought that outside of Birth By Sleep and KH2FM+, the series is just boring.

And the music, don't get me started on how awesome Shimomura's stuff was before that soured her compositional style for me because due to those pieces she's composed for that series, she has a major tendency to reuse certain parts of those soundtracks in other BGMs she uses and it frustrates me to high hell.

At least her Last Ranker and Radiant Historia stuff are really good so things should go up from here. I feel like she was stuck in a rut for the KH stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That fucking percussion line she always seems to use all the time like she can't come up with anything else was used over and over and over again in KH and it seeped into some of her other stuff. Why? Get a real drummer and add some diversity to your percussion in your BGMs. Please, you have more talent than this. ;___;

And the samples. I know they're arrangements of stuff other people have composed in some cases, but I think she was fully capable of using a soundfont similar to the source material, right?

Oooooh while we're at it since no one reads this thread, I dislike the Xenosaga games. I think they're terribly designed and their sole purpose seems to be to house a movie that people wrote but didn't complete enough of so they tried to frame a horribly designed game around their lengthy-as-hell cutscenes.

Reusing the same percussion line? I've listened to all those tracks and I didn't hear that throughout the tracks.

Schala, stop hating everything I love!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
While I'm not Uematsu's biggest fan, Uematsu composed this (aka one of four vocal themes that he composed that were actually good) so I have little issues.

tiggerkiddo said:
Schala, stop hating everything I love!
You hate everything I love! :p

qq more said:
lets talk about sonic

whos da hottest level? my vote goes for lava reef xd!!!!!!
Ugh, we need a new Sonic game to talk about so bad.

Do people actually post like this?

And it's definitely Lava Reef Zone. It beats out Tornadoes Carrying Cars.

Aw, no more Scootaloo tiggerkiddo. Oh well.

I actually really like KH's soundtrack, but honestly, I'd say its sound originated earlier with SMRPG; I've got the mole village theme in my head right now, and it'd fit right in with Sora's adventures, despite starring Mario.

Noi

Hi, I'm Noi and I have a guilty spot for Sonic Heroes and got every ending combination in Shadow the Hedgehog. I like the "bad" games more than I do the good ones.

Man, I'm keeping FF13-2 off my list. I guess I felt bored while playing it and it wasn't until Noi convinced me to give the DLC a shot that I actually enjoyed some of the stuff the systems had to offer (like, a lot of the stuff that mattered in FF13's harder hunt battles mattered here, and then some because you have to customize monsters specifically for one DLC battle--which is how the monster rearing should have been like).

Convinced? More like I funded part of said venture. :p I do agree though, even games like Asura's Wrath were interesting enough were it gets a spot on my top 10 of the year compared to how ho-hum XIII-2 was. I didn't even remember that it came out this year until that one thread that asked why no one was mentioning it.

Alright, Nocturnowl, you're free to tell me stuff about Journey MP now. Just finished it and I wanna hear your story. Before I dive into mine, I mean.

It's been so long since I first played Journey, but my best experience about it was in my very first run.

As I first came up to the snowy peaks, I ran into another traveler who had a scarf much shorter than I did. We both poked around the area a lot as we climbed, looking for any secret paths, chiming when we discovered something. We fell off the cliff a few times along the way...

When we came upon the searching beasts, we both did our best not to get caught, taking the long way around instead of going straight. We got a bit careless though, and the beast spotted us at the last second. I don't know how he did it, but my partner actually managed to get the beast to only go for him instead of me, and I watched as it soared and slammed into him. I waited for a bit at the gate to move on, and sure enough, he came right back from where I'd seen him get sent flying, barely any scarf left on him. I thought it might be someone else, but I recognized the symbol when he chimed, said chime being much quieter than it was before. We continued up the mountain, with me standing at my side to share as much energy as I could since his scarf would barely allow him to hover now, until we finally reached the peak and collapsed. I could still faintly see his chirps right before his body fell among the snow.

During the final stretch, I got so excited that I lost track of where my partner was. I stopped by one of the red gates, a bit antsy cause I never saw him go by. Minutes passed, and finally I decided to move on. Right as the final light carried me high up to my destination, I saw something standing in the snow. Rather than moving ahead, my partner had chosen to sit and wait for me, just like I'd done so before. After a small celebration, we both took steps forward to the end of our journey, content that we'd managed to see this through to end together.

I played Journey a few more times after, but nothing of that magnitude ever happened again. I still don't regret my purchase.

qq more

I like the "bad" games more than I do the good ones.
You mean in a "it's so bad it's good" way?

Although while I hate Sonic Heroes... it isn't exactly an offensive mess of a game. Just really flawed with potential. (Can't say the same to Shadow though)

Welcome to SonicGAF!

Noi

You mean in a "it's so bad it's good" way?

Although while I hate Sonic Heroes... it isn't exactly an offensive mess of a game. Just really flawed with potential. (Can't say the same to Shadow though)

Welcome to SonicGAF!

More like a guilty pleasure. I play "bad" games in my spare time, with Sonic games being a usual suspect. The only Sonic game that I've simply been unable to tolerate is Sonic and the Unplayable controls err, Secret Rings. Even Black Knight was tolerable compared to that.

Thankfully Colors was good and Generations, while not my favorite, was still decent!

Kokonoe

Banned
Hi, I'm Noi and I have a guilty spot for Sonic Heroes and got every ending combination in Shadow the Hedgehog. I like the "bad" games more than I do the good ones.

Important questions

Do you like Neo Metal Sonic?

Do you like Sonic Adventure?

Do you like Sonic Adventure 2?

What are you thoughts on Sonic 2006?

More like a guilty pleasure. I play "bad" games in my spare time, with Sonic games being a usual suspect. The only Sonic game that I've simply been unable to tolerate is Sonic and the Unplayable controlserr, Secret Rings. Even Black Knight was tolerable compared to that.

Thankfully Colors was good and Generations, while not my favorite, was still decent!

YES at the bolded. Secret Rings is the most awful mainline Sonic game ever. Back when I was still 'hardcore' for games, I managed to beat it through tons of pain and sorrow and tears. It's a horrible experience and Black Knight is far superior.

qq more

YES at the bolded. Secret Rings is the most awful mainline Sonic game ever. Back when I was still 'hardcore' for games, I managed to beat it through tons of pain and sorrow and tears. It's a horrible experience and Black Knight is far superior.
I personally wanted to hold grudges against every single being that told me Secret Rings was good, but somehow I didn't but I should of had... What a god damn waste of money. Should of have listened to my friend who played it and hated every second of it. Truly an awful game. :(

I'd still play it over 06 though.

More like a guilty pleasure. I play "bad" games in my spare time, with Sonic games being a usual suspect. The only Sonic game that I've simply been unable to tolerate is Sonic and the Unplayable controls err, Secret Rings. Even Black Knight was tolerable compared to that.

My guilty pleasure in Sonic is that I find Sonic 3D Blast a fun game... better than possibly more than half of Dimps' bullshit! (Although it has been a damn while I last played 3D Blast. I bought a cheap copy of the Saturn version recently, I should get to that when I get that 3D Pad)

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic 2006 has much better controls than Secret Rings. Controls are most important to me in video games, and if you can't control your character properly or efficiently, then that drags every aspect of the game down.

While I'm not Uematsu's biggest fan, Uematsu composed this (aka one of four vocal themes that he composed that were actually good) so I have little issues.

You hate everything I love! :p

Ugh, we need a new Sonic game to talk about so bad.

Do people actually post like this?

And it's definitely Lava Reef Zone. It beats out Tornadoes Carrying Cars.

How can you not be a huge fan of Uematsu...his stuff is classic...=O

qq more

Sonic 2006 has much better controls than Secret Rings. Controls are most important to me in video games, and if you can't control your character properly or efficiently, then that drags every aspect of the game down.
I can see that. I think the only reason why I prefer it over 06 is because 06 was just offensively bad in almost every single other area.

The funny thing is that if you try the Mario Kart Wii Wheel the game is suddenly a lot easier to control. It was still really awful though... I mean, forced generic missions before progressing? Noooo thanks.

Alright, Nocturnowl, you're free to tell me stuff about Journey MP now. Just finished it and I wanna hear your story.
I'll tag this up since i'd rather not spoil anything for those that have yet to play it.

I've been through the game twice now, once back in around April and the other time just last week in the wake of all the GotY debating.
Now the first time I went through I was making sure to nab all of the trinkets that increase the scarf length as it seemed like something to actually do, the multiplayer aspect in itself feels a bit at odds with this, when i'm off trying to find the symbols or whatever having some guy chirping for attention whilst also making that little visual effect at the screen edges is kind of annoying so my initial thoughts on the MP wasn't that positive, one point in particular that stands out to me was in the tower like room where you raise the level of something that's best described as water I guess, the other player here with me rushed ahead and increased the levels of "water" higher which made following the normal path and subsequently finding a more hidden room off to the side more trouble than it should've been, I had to go diving many a time to find the final pickup here and I couldn't shake the issue of "if that other guy hadn't been here I could've saved myself 15 minutes of searching around".

So on my recent second run I didn't need to collect anything, I was just here to give the MP another shake, now while I did have a better experience with MP this time and actually had a partner for the final mountain climbing section it just doesn't do much for me, outside of chirping each others scarves up and huddling together for a very small speed increase in the snow section there's nothing that really separates it from being on your own at least from how the game plays and progresses.
Now this isn't really much of an issue, I tend to view them more like other travellers in my journey as is the idea but really outside of the other player being an anonymous fellow they don't bring much to the table, nothing worth raving about to me at least, it's a neat feature but it still has small ways of detracting and it's just there really, I can't see it as a major tipping point in the games favour, some people get emotionally bonded to the player they're with it seems but seeing that neither you nor they can actually die in this game it fell pretty flat on my end.
You know call me mister antisocial on online games (which is kind of true, I get the online unease on some games) but I much preferred being the one guy scaling the peak by himself.

As for the game itself, well it looks fantastic, control is nice, music is suitable and well implemented yet I don't find it particularly memorable but there's just something about the game that feels so empty to me, like a concept unfulfilled, everyone all but takes the same journey really, there may be a vast expanse of desert but you all have to head the same way, while games do have the capability to get an emotional reaction from me none of Journey's tricks worked, I felt pretty stone-faced throughout the game though it got a few smiles here and there, the ending section especially.
But in the end I didn't get the response many others seemed to, all that's left for me is a very pretty walk, I guess that's a journey in itself. Art games aren't going to effect everyone but in this case there's a lot of me wondering if I missed something entirely here, a fun enough experience? sure, game life changer? you've lost me on that one, the hyperbolic praise for it here on GAF can be a bit much at times where if you feel it was lacking in the gameplay department you obviously wanted guns to shoot people with you EMOTIONLESS MONSTER! of course the other side of the fence saying that it's not a game are equally silly.

I understand that. I know the vocalist herself penned the lyrics, but perhaps it wouldn't have sounded so samey if they had other people joining in?
That could've been quite interesting now you mention it, i'll need to give the whole thing another proper listen at some stage.

Noi

Important questions

Do you like Neo Metal Sonic?

Do you like Sonic Adventure?

Do you like Sonic Adventure 2?

What are you thoughts on Sonic 2006?

1. Yes, though Metal Madness is garbage. Leagues better than Biolizard, though not as cool as Chaos.

2. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember liking it well enough. I even found the Big levels somewhat tolerable... though I'm sure that opinion would change if I played it today.

3. Sonic/Shadow stages are nice! I could live without the rest. Shadow should have stayed dead, if just to prevent Shadow the Hedgehog from existing.

4. Best game in the series, duh.

Beat the PS3 version two years ago. All of my WHY.

It's better than Secret Rings, at the very absolute least.

Kokonoe

Banned
I can see that. I think the only reason why I prefer it over 06 is because 06 was just offensively bad in almost every single other area.

The funny thing is that if you try the Mario Kart Wii Wheel the game is suddenly a lot easier to control. It was still really awful though... I mean, forced generic missions before progressing? Noooo thanks.

Honestly, I am still surprised to this day at Mario Kart Wii with the Wii Wheel, that was practically flawless. Too bad Sonic Racing doesn't have a 'automatic' function like that game did so it handles better.

Secret Rings had stuff like...

Collect all the Rings yet you can't walk back.
Beat the level without dying once, yet there are pitfalls everywhere
Don't touch a single ring, yet you can barely steer your character properly and require you to move slowly due to the lack of sidestepping.

1. Yes, though Metal Madness is garbage. Leagues better than Biolizard, though not as cool as Chaos.

2. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember liking it well enough. I even found the Big levels somewhat tolerable... though I'm sure that opinion would change if I played it today.

3. Sonic/Shadow stages are nice! I could live without the rest. Shadow should have stayed dead, if just to prevent Shadow the Hedgehog from existing.

4. Best game in the series, duh.

Beat the PS3 version two years ago. All of my WHY.

It's better than Secret Rings, at the very absolute least.

Yay at Neo, boo at Madness. I like em all, actually, but least someone here likes Neo Metal Sonic besides me!

I like everything about Adventure 1 except Big. (one of my favorite games of all time)

I liked the alternate gameplay myself, but I do prefer Sonic/Shadow gameplay. (another one of my favorites)

qq more

Honestly, I am still surprised to this day at Mario Kart Wii with the Wii Wheel, that was practically flawless. Too bad Sonic Racing doesn't have a 'automatic' function like that game did so it handles better.

Wait... I'm not the only one who loved the Wii Wheel? Awesome.

And on the subject of Neo Metal Sonic... I think I would be okay with the design if that was Metal Shadow. The whole edgy design just looks so wrong on Metal Sonic.

In speaking of Metal... I'm surprised they haven't actually made a new Metal ______ character in a long time.

OMG Aero

The first step to overcoming a problem is admitting you have one.
Well done.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, no more Scootaloo tiggerkiddo. Oh well.

I actually really like KH's soundtrack, but honestly, I'd say its sound originated earlier with SMRPG; I've got the mole village theme in my head right now, and it'd fit right in with Sora's adventures, despite starring Mario.
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that SMRPG exists because I... wait, that would be blasphemous to say even in this thread. >.>

Convinced? More like I funded part of said venture. :p I do agree though, even games like Asura's Wrath were interesting enough were it gets a spot on my top 10 of the year compared to how ho-hum XIII-2 was. I didn't even remember that it came out this year until that one thread that asked why no one was mentioning it.
Ahaha, yeah, but at least with some proper guidance on your part I picked the stuff that was well-suited for our budget. A few people seem to have added it to their lists in the thread last I checked. But I don't think it's a game I'd give that much props to. The DLC, maybe. The game itself, probably not.

I still have to play Asura's Wrath, but I think I'll get it next year.

It's been so long since I first played Journey, but my best experience about it was in my very first run.
*snip*
I played Journey a few more times after, but nothing of that magnitude ever happened again. I still don't regret my purchase.
That sounds a lot like what my experience was like, only the opposite.
The person I played with at the end was incredibly nice and waited up for me even if I made a few mistakes. The first person I played with was kind of a jerk because I don't think he even realized I was another player.

You need to play Unleashed HD next! I love that game so much despite its faults. It made for a better RPG than some of SE's console outputs this gen! :p

I'll tag this up since i'd rather not spoil anything for those that have yet to play it.
*snip*
Yeah, I never really thought much of tcg's games. I think Journey's the best one out the three major ones on the collection, at least for one part that kind of brought a tear to my eye, but outside of that, it's a good game but the praise for it is kind of interesting. The controls are really good, and the floating mechanics and extra floating boosts mechanics are fine.

The music seems like it would be best listened to in-game as opposed to out-of-game. I was right when I decided that I wouldn't listen to the Journey soundtrack until I'd finished the game, because the reason why is true: it's more meaningful in the context of the game. If I'd listened to it beforehand, it would have been meaningless. But even then, I can't remember a lot of the main compositional portions of some of the BGMs right now if you asked me to recite or hum some. So... I don't know if I can vote for it for SotY, but I could give it a honourable nod? I dunno.

The MP is detrimental to scarf-lengthening. I had the same issue in the same place. But I guess it's partially because you can't exactly communicate outside of pressing O for acknowledgement or to tell people you're there.

But my experience with MP was kind of good. It was pretty bad at the beginning because the person I played with had no idea what he/she was doing (granted, I had no idea what I was doing. There was a point in the underwater bit where he/she had no idea what they were doing to climb to the top of the area (the one where you had to hit O then float, and hit O more to float)? Even when I was showing them how to do it, they wouldn't get it. Blah.

But the last fellow I played with? He/she was so gosh darned nice. Gave me little pointers on how to go through the snow, always stuck close to me, waited when I got blown away by the wind. Waited and signalled when we got caught off-guard by the enemies with the searchers, and waited when we were journeying to the top. Now that's the experience they probably wanted players to have, but your experience entirely depends on the player you're linked with as opposed to the quality of the game if you're playing MP.

So I liked it. I don't know if I like it as much as GAF does, but I thought it was alright. There was a point where I found the game, graphics, and score melding together in such a beautiful way that I teared up, but outside of that, I'll stick by what I said before: experience weighs on playing with one other person, and whether or not that person works with you and cooperates with you in a meaningful way. Oh, I do think the game ended rather abruptly (kind of like killing the momentum). It's short, but I guess I was hoping for more?

qq more

You need to play Unleashed HD next! I love that game so much despite its faults. It made for a better RPG than some of SE's console outputs this gen! :p

No, don't. Wait for the Sonic Generations Unleashed PC mod. No need to deal with Werehog bullshit!

Kind of kidding since you played through Shadow The Hedgehog and got all endings, you might as well play Unleashed HD as it's a much much much better game

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that SMRPG exists because I... wait, that would be blasphemous to say even in this thread. >.>
Who knows, I might agree with you.

*Journey stuff*

Seems like someone had a more fulfilling journey to the top, if I wanted more it was probably just me thinking the price was pretty steep for what it is and I needed more bang for my buck, but with the mechanics in place there's probably not much more they could've done without drawing things out into being tedious or repetitive.
Personally I think it would've been interesting if there were split paths at certain points that all connect back up for the final push, keeps a single journey the same basic length, opens up more replay value and could have you debate whether or not to stick with the person you're with or go on your separate ways when you reach a forking point to really test that whole bond thing everyone else seems to have but oh well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah--it would have been more meaningful if the game let you split up. But as usual with the tgc games, it's more about the experience, I guess. I liked it better than Flower and flOw. Nah, we'll leave the SMRPG stuff where it is. :p

Also, I don't think The Walking Dead is for me. I tried the demo and I'm not digging it.

Noi

Now you've got me curious. I've never been the biggest fan of SMRPG, outside of like.. the forest maze music. I did play through the game without using any equipment once though, that was fun.

No, don't. Wait for the Sonic Generations Unleashed PC mod. No need to deal with Werehog bullshit!

Kind of kidding since you played through Shadow The Hedgehog and got all endings, you might as well play Unleashed HD as it's a much much much better game

I do like God of War. I'm sure I've played worse games than Unleashed, though I didn't really like the level in the Sonic Unleashed demo. Felt like I was running into spikes every other second.

Yay at Neo, boo at Madness. I like em all, actually, but least someone here likes Neo Metal Sonic besides me!

I like everything about Adventure 1 except Big. (one of my favorite games of all time)

I liked the alternate gameplay myself, but I do prefer Sonic/Shadow gameplay. (another one of my favorites)
I like Neo Metal! :< One of the few things about that game that gets a lot of flak, but I actually liked (I agree with most other criticisms of the game, however, including wasting that design on another amorphous lizard bossfight).

I still like both Adventures. The first has definitely aged worse, however, thanks in no small part to shoddy ports of a port of a port (or in the Steam version's case a port of ports of a port of a port). I was expecting the second to be awful as well, but surprisingly I liked what I've seen of the HD port so far (up to Rouge's second stage, haven't touched Hero side yet).

Let me guess: you don't like it.

Actually, that's fine; I have to put up with hate on the game from Boss Doggie and Red Arremer over at SmashGAF. Not gonna lie, though, I have a soft spot for the game; it's the RPG that actually got me into the genre as a whole, even if Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga refined the whole concept considerably.

Although, I've never once BEATEN the game... Should really get around to that sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom