• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I'm not on a phone, so handling large portions of text is much easier (seriously, selecting text on an Android phone suuuuucks):

Nope. I was late to the party with SMRPG. I didn't play it until... um... 2001-2002? Anyway, no, I didn't like it very much as I didn't think it aged very well. I like the button prompts (though later games would prove to push the player to use button prompts more often in an acceptable way), but battles felt unrefined to me (and I felt it was easy), and I didn't the visual style of the game. I didn't like how Mario controlled on the field at all, I don't like the menu UI, and I didn't find it to be very fun. It's kinda funny at times. And I could see why people like it. It's not like my dislike of Xenosaga where I can't even comprehend why people find those games fun, because I completely understand why people think SMRPG is fun.

Man, I'm on a roll with not liking things lately, huh?!
Actually, I think I first played the game later than that, on ZSNES; mostly on a whim, like, "hey, I like Mario, but I don't like RPGs; maybe this'll change my tune?". It did. Now I have both the Wii VC version and an actual cart (wasn't really out for it, but I was out for Yoshi's Island and Secret of Mana, and there was an auction for those, plus SMRPG and Legend of the Mystical Ninja, which I won for $60, so I got one anyway :p). I'm farthest along in the Wii VC copy, but like I said, never once beaten the game. I've never even seen the Axem Rangers...

Still, it was early enough that Skies of Arcadia Legends was still on store shelves (used, I think, but eh), and I was able to snag a copy when my parents, who'd been acting on my behalf on eBay purchases in the past, refused to bid on Panzer Dragoon Saga for me as it was too expensive, despite me having the dough. Kind of an impulse "well, if I can't have THAT RPG, I'll take THIS RPG" purchase. Don't regret it in the slightest, Skies of Arcadia was ace (and, ironically, now costs about as much second-hand, heh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYXtBNhfYTE

After SA1's intro, you would think they'd try to top that.
Now that I'm on my computer with its 1920x1080 monitor so as to notice:

> Low bitrate audio
> Blocky, blurry video
> Uploader proclaims it's in "HD"

lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still haven't patched ASR:T so I can't go online. But it's so fun! I didn't expect it to be that fun. And it's hard. The other racers' AI are ruthless when they get items. I've already talked about the presentation being fantastic. I love how courses are dynamic enough forcing you to adapt to physics.

And the game is surprisingly bigger than I thought. So, yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Loving the fanservice.

Anyone have the Vita version? How does that run?

I started playing Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd and even though it's more dungeon-focused than the previous two games, I kinda like it a lot better than the first two games.

The music is sooooooooo much better, omg.

I like the idea of Xenosaga II's battle system as well. The execution though. The execution of the whole game. For all the complaints about XSI and III, none of them have a dungeon that spans literally 1/2 of game's length.
Why does the game have take 200 years to load in characters? Why is the balancing not always there? Why are the dungeons so effing long? Oh, Xenosaga.

I've gotten the Plats for Devil May Cry 2, Neptunia 1 and multiple Musou games. My tear ducts dried up a long time ago.
I saw you playing that a few times on PSN and I was wondering what sort of bet you lost. I could never bring myself to plat that, and I got the plat for the second one. Mostly because the first game is boring.

Actually, I think I first played the game later than that, on ZSNES; mostly on a whim, like, "hey, I like Mario, but I don't like RPGs; maybe this'll change my tune?". It did. Now I have both the Wii VC version and an actual cart (wasn't really out for it, but I was out for Yoshi's Island and Secret of Mana, and there was an auction for those, plus SMRPG and Legend of the Mystical Ninja, which I won for $60, so I got one anyway :p). I'm farthest along in the Wii VC copy, but like I said, never once beaten the game. I've never even seen the Axem Rangers...

Still, it was early enough that Skies of Arcadia Legends was still on store shelves (used, I think, but eh), and I was able to snag a copy when my parents, who'd been acting on my behalf on eBay purchases in the past, refused to bid on Panzer Dragoon Saga for me as it was too expensive, despite me having the dough. Kind of an impulse "well, if I can't have THAT RPG, I'll take THIS RPG" purchase. Don't regret it in the slightest, Skies of Arcadia was ace (and, ironically, now costs about as much second-hand, heh).
You haven't seen the Axem Rangers? Was that halfway through? Play more of it. Maybe you might find that you like it maybe you won't. Don't forget to look for the FF4 extras towards the end of the game if you happen to fight Culex.

As for Skies of Arcadia Legends, I think that game is awesome. I have the Dreamcast version and the GCN version. Suikoden elements always go in a game's favour for me. >.>

(Do you have a Wii U though?)
I do not. I'm waiting a bit longer to get one.

I liked Xenosaga III.

Had MGS levels of cutscenes and MGS levels of plot coherency but the battle system was fun and the fight scenes were a treat. Plus MECHS(I love mechs)

If you asked me what the game was about though I wouldn't know what to tell you.

I liked Xenosaga III.

Had MGS levels of cutscenes and MGS levels of plot coherency but the battle system was fun and the fight scenes were a treat. Plus MECHS(I love mechs)

If you asked me what the game was about though I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Well taking into account "MGS levels of plot coherency" you could just say nanomachines and i'd instantly believe you.

And then there's those made up games again, Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd? I think someone's been at the fireball again, what a crazy title ohohoho.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nuh-uh. Aeana's been poking me with a stick to play it. So I did.

And I'm glad she convinced me to play it asap. It's way better than the first two Trails in the Sky games. And I thought even with the waffling that Trails 2 did, I liked it a lot more than Trails 1.

Noi

47 emblems. Abusing the glitch to re-use one animal over and over to raise my Chao until I screw it up. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self that you could do that.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this enemy?

enemy3.jpg

Cause I really hate them.

Why does the game have take 200 years to load in characters? Why is the balancing not always there? Why are the dungeons so effing long? Oh, Xenosaga.

Why did they keep the non-random encounters from the first game if they were gonna gonna place them in incredibly narrow hallways that force you to fight them anyway? Why are some random encounters harder than boss battles? Why does every fight take 30 minutes to finish?

It's a shame that Xenosaga got cut short, but given II's release... I can't exactly say it's undeserved.

I saw you playing that a few times on PSN and I was wondering what sort of bet you lost. I could never bring myself to plat that, and I got the plat for the second one. Mostly because the first game is boring.

No bet there. I had to follow a guide for it, but I managed to groan my way through all of Neptunia 1's idea of comedy. I hope to play MKII someday since I've heard it's much better.

And yet, it's not the worst game I've played this year. I'd rather replay Neptunia 1 than replay ACIII.

As for Skies of Arcadia Legends, I think that game is awesome. I have the Dreamcast version and the GCN version. Suikoden elements always go in a game's favour for me. >.>

PSN/XBLA port where, Sega. We want to give you money.

I liked Xenosaga III.

It's about Shion progressively going insane over imaginary blood and her poor taste in outfits.

Yeah, I expected an awesome CG intro since both Adventure and Shuffle had them - yes, the awful slow-loading computer-cheating POS board game title had a better intro than the most recent mainline game to that point.

There were a lot of aspects of Shuffle that had a lot of charm to them, for the time it was great fanservice (obviously not meant in the perverted sense). That's what made "the game is so slow and broken" so utterly painful.

They even snuck in a NiGHTS cameo.

qq more

No bet there. I had to follow a guide for it, but I managed to groan my way through all of Neptunia 1's idea of comedy. I hope to play MKII someday since I've heard it's much better.

Weeaboo moe games are the absolute worst shit but the one great thing I heard about the 2nd game is that you can summon mother fuckin' Inafune.

Nuh-uh. Aeana's been poking me with a stick to play it. So I did.

And I'm glad she convinced me to play it asap. It's way better than the first two Trails in the Sky games. And I thought even with the waffling that Trails 2 did, I liked it a lot more than Trails 1.

Oh so it's not as mysterious and unknown a game as I once thought, crafty title switching there, though it sounds like one of those series doomed to being incomplete in the west by the lack of PSP localisation, excuse me while I go cry for my lack of Valkyria Chronicles 3.

On a completely unrelated note i've just noticed that time is running out on the SotY thread and i'm still in a bit of a bind, not really satisfied with what i've got compared to previous years but oh well, I might just have to make do.
Upon beginning to line up candidates for my GotY list i've just noticed that I don't quite have a full 10, or that the lower half of the top 10 and HM games are so equal that I feel like picking names out of a hat.
I planned to get around to some more games in this time period but the only ones that have my interest that i've yet to try are Dishonored, Hotline Miami and Spelunky, me being captain cheap doesn't help here.

also Noi, everyone hate those chaos rejects, stretchy arms haven't caused me so much grief since I was a kid playing against CPU Dhalsim on SF2 Turbo, I thought he was the most unjust character in town, of course I was completely wrong.
Actually Ristar's own stretchy arms caused me grief this year, and so did the Werehog a few years back, damn those elastic limbs in video games!

that racing game is pretty cool you guys

but metal sonic can eat a dick

AIAI FO LIFE, oh and that pazner draggonj level is pretty fucking neato

Kokonoe

Banned
Random thought, but would anyone else want to see a Mega Man styled level select for Sonic games? Well, just a level selection instead of starting from point A to B. I think I'd like being able to play the levels in the order I liked.

I like Neo Metal! :<

Yes...this is what I need to hear more of.

Random thought, but would anyone else want to see a Mega Man styled level select for Sonic games? Well, just a level selection instead of starting from point A to B. I think I'd like being able to play the levels in the order I liked.

If it means I can save that dreaded water level for last, good. I swear Sonic 1 had the worst in terms of difficulty, it was a roller coaster.

qq more

The idea of this is interesting but I'm not sure if it can work in a game like Sonic. There's the issue of balancing level difficulty. Mega Man was designed with that in mind.

I guess they could break it up ala Mega Man 7/8? I think that could actually work!

enemy3.jpg

GOD, I forgot about those fuckers. Extremely annoying to deal with, is it actually possible to dodge every single one of them?

OMG Aero

enemy3.jpg

The worst part is when they hide their head inside their body and just fucking sit there so you have to stand around and wait for them to attack before you can move on.

The worst part is when they hide their head inside their body and just fucking sit there so you have to stand around and wait for them to attack before you can move on.

And even then sometimes they IMMEDIATELY try to tentacle rape you when they come out so by the time your about to hit them they already splattered your rings across the walls.

I think I like SA1 better.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > Sonic Generations > Sonic Colors > Sonic Black Knight > Sonic Unleashed > Sonic 2006 > Secret Rings

qq more

I played a bit of Sonic Colors on Dolphin yesterday and I was suddenly reminded how fun it was.

I now can't decide if Gen or Colors is better...

Yeah mang. In my own list of Sonic 3-D games, Adventure 2 ranks pretty low.

1. Sonic Colors
2. Sonic Generations
3. Sonic Unleashed (Yes, I said Unleashed.)
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Sonic Adventure 2

Yeah, this is pretty much my list.

I'm never going to forget my first Colors playthrough. Was such an unexpectedly fun ride, especially coming off of Unleashed & the Adventure games.

qq more

1/2. Sonic Colors/Generations, I can't decide.
3. Sonic Adventure
4. Sonic Adventure 2
5. Sonic Unleashed, even though I don't like the game but it was at least fun 1/3 of the times, can't say the same to every other 3D Sonic game below this.

EDIT: Why do I have Tropical Resort's theme stuck in my head?

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, this is about the 6th time we done this, but yeah Adventure 1's OST is much better. Adventure 2 has my favorite song in video games, but still.

Maybe. I've always thought something like that could be pretty cool, if done right. Maybe have Mega Man X's feature where beating some stages will introduce new hazards into other stages, as a means of ramping up the difficulty as you go along or something.

SA2 is crap.
I honestly expected this to be the case when revisiting it via Steam. I just finished Dark story (before Hero story, for the first time ever; I usually do Hero first...), and... well, aside from Mad Space being shit, and having a particularly bad run in Final Chase, it's held up much better than it has any right to.

Oddly, I think I like the shooting stages the best so far. Although turning around while at a stand still is far too sluggish, their slow pace tends to mean they're very, very controllable, and thus more suited for fine platforming. Plus getting large combos and having all the points stack up on a no-death run and cinching that A rank is great. Cosmic Wall is a long-as-shit level, but going for 10 minutes straight on one single life, finishing the stage with 100,000-or-so points and getting the A rank in spite of no time bonus is rather cathartic.

Actually, I'm getting A ranks a lot more frequently than I used to be. Not sure what I'm doing right, now, barring trying to clear all the stages in one life. Maybe playing NiGHTS back in 2003 or so clued me into the whole "rape the stage as much as you can for points" aspect of it, too?

Dialogue is shit, though, and the overall plot is too grimdark for the tone of the rest of the series. I dunno why, but hearing people constantly say "Chaos Emeralds" in a totally serious voice just makes me snicker.

Also, I forgot how much Deem Bristow (RIP) sounds like a pirate.

SA1's soundtrack >>>>> SA2's soundtrack
Yeah, gonna have to side with the more synth-heavy soundtrack. Something about it just appeals to me more.

oh hey I'm back
You were gone?

But then again, are we fans of vocals or not?
Not really, no.

qq more

Maybe. I've always thought something like that could be pretty cool, if done right. Maybe have Mega Man X's feature where beating some stages will introduce new hazards into other stages, as a means of ramping up the difficulty as you go along or something.

That reminds me... why haven't they done that since X1? It's such a cool feature :(

Anth0ny

from what I've played

Generations>Adventure 2>>>>>>>>>>>Adventure>>>Heroes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>06>>>Colors>Unleashed

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd talk about SA2's soundtrack but Sciz would only shake his head in disgust.

And yet, it's not the worst game I've played this year. I'd rather replay Neptunia 1 than replay ACIII.
I stopped playing AC3 for a bit for the past two days to get through some other stuff (better stuff, mind you!).

Wow, I thought I was alone in not finding the Neptunia games that funny. I don't find them very funny at all because a lot of the humour relies on anime moe stuff that I'm not too fond of. Neptunia mk2 is a much better game, though it does have a character who disgustingly preys on the children characters, so that's an aspect that I disliked a lot about it. But outside of that? The battle system was surprisingly very engaging.

Oh so it's not as mysterious and unknown a game as I once thought, crafty title switching there, though it sounds like one of those series doomed to being incomplete in the west by the lack of PSP localisation, excuse me while I go cry for my lack of Valkyria Chronicles 3.
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to grab the budget version of that. Dunan told me the third game is much better than the second and has more of a link to the first game than the second does. But it's $50 on play-asia, and $43 on CD Japan. It's sold out on amiami so I can't get it for $35 there. Ah... I'd rather get Time Travelers at this point.

Trails has a better chance of localization, though, since the first three games are available on PC, so I don't see why they can't really localize the PC versions despite the mountain of text these games have. I'm sure there are a lot of Falcom fans, like the guy who did the PC versions of the Ys games, who'd love to help out. If they were going to bring out FC, they should at least bring out SC to complete the main characters' tales, and I think it's a shame that fans are kind of left hanging like this. Trails in the Sky the 3rd is extra content, but I personally think it's the best one out of the three so far in terms of everything. :3

Man, it's going to be weird as hell if they ever decide to bring over Nayuta no Kiseki. "Trails of Nayuta" sounds stupid as hell. So do "Trails of Blue" (ao no kiseki), "Trails of Zero" (zero no kiseki), and the new one, "Trails of Flash" (Sen no Kiseki).

On a completely unrelated note i've just noticed that time is running out on the SotY thread and i'm still in a bit of a bind, not really satisfied with what i've got compared to previous years but oh well, I might just have to make do.
Upon beginning to line up candidates for my GotY list i've just noticed that I don't quite have a full 10, or that the lower half of the top 10 and HM games are so equal that I feel like picking names out of a hat.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't got much of a chance to listen to everything this past weekend because I was busy with a bunch of other stuff (I baked three more cakes yesterday while doing some stuff for the RPG thread and writing some stuff for the Technika Tune thread), but I don't think I've heard a soundtrack that I'm going to outright say, "yes, this is my soundtrack of the year". It's become a lot like my GotY decisions.

I'm not sure what to do with Hotline Miami's soundtrack. I don't really want to shell out for the game right now. I think it's good, but after all the discussion surrounding it being a controversial choice, I might shove it into my honourable mentions or not even include it at all.

that racing game is pretty cool you guys

but metal sonic can eat a dick

AIAI FO LIFE, oh and that pazner draggonj level is pretty fucking neato
I'm almost convinced to get the Vita version since apparently the framerate in that one is decent. I'm still surprised that it's as good as it is.

That's what level select cheats used to be for. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
from what I've played

Generations>Adventure 2>>>>>>>>>>>Adventure>>>Heroes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>06>>>Colors>Unleashed
Nothing we say will ever change this, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom