• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't push myself to finish Unleashed. Got as far as Holaska before the medal collecting stuff started taking it's toll on whatever lingering enjoyment I had of the game.

Let me guess: you don't like it.

Actually, that's fine; I have to put up with hate on the game from Boss Doggie and Red Arremer over at SmashGAF. Not gonna lie, though, I have a soft spot for the game; it's the RPG that actually got me into the genre as a whole, even if Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga refined the whole concept considerably.

Although, I've never once BEATEN the game... Should really get around to that sometime.

Smash Gaf is extra prickly regarding that game because of the whole bloody Geno thing.
I just think the game is thoroughly outclassed by those that followed it, it's still playable (as part of PAL land I had to wait for the VC release anyway) but there's something about its progression and world layout that just feels pretty uninteresting.
I've never felt a need to revisit it, but hey it's got an earworm of a battle theme.

Noi

Posting here made me feel like buying Sonic CD (which I've never played before) and one of the Adventures on PSN... until I discovered that $8.15 that should be in my PSN wallet are gone. No receipts in my e-mail that anything has been bought since.

Sony's getting an angry phone call in the morning.

qq more

From little of what I've played, Mario RPG is fun.

Geno fans when it comes to Smash Bros are ANNOYING. I mean, we're talking about a character that hasn't been relevant since the 16bit era.

Noi

From little of what I've played, Mario RPG is fun.

Geno fans when it comes to Smash Bros are ANNOYING

I mean, we're talking about a character that hasn't been relevant since the 16bit era.

But there's a SMRPG song in Fortune Street! They wouldn't do that if they aren't aware of his existence!

Geno smash fans are annoying, yes.

qq more

Geno has appeared in another game.....tho minor with squares permission.

Of course but that doesn't mean he's relevant!

I mean... I won't honestly have a problem with him getting in Smash since it'd be nice to see a Mario RPG rep but people need to lower their expectations. It really got out of hand when some started blaming ROB for apparently "stealing his spot" (what was up with that rumor anyways?)

After just recently finishing TTYD this past week (Fucking fantastic game by the way, holy shit) the console Mario RPG hierarchy for me is TTYD > SMRPG > PM64.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We had a debate about the aesthetics of Sonic CD a while ago. It's somewhere in this thread. Pietepiet had some interesting insights. I like Sonic CD. There are a few levels where I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed them, but the rest of it's okay.

Popped ASR:T in... downloading a HUGE patch! what is this? :|

Now you've got me curious. I've never been the biggest fan of SMRPG, outside of like.. the forest maze music. I did play through the game without using any equipment once though, that was fun.
Let me guess: you don't like it.
Nope. I was late to the party with SMRPG. I didn't play it until... um... 2001-2002? Anyway, no, I didn't like it very much as I didn't think it aged very well. I like the button prompts (though later games would prove to push the player to use button prompts more often in an acceptable way), but battles felt unrefined to me (and I felt it was easy), and I didn't the visual style of the game. I didn't like how Mario controlled on the field at all, I don't like the menu UI, and I didn't find it to be very fun. It's kinda funny at times. And I could see why people like it. It's not like my dislike of Xenosaga where I can't even comprehend why people find those games fun, because I completely understand why people think SMRPG is fun.

Man, I'm on a roll with not liking things lately, huh?!

I do like God of War. I'm sure I've played worse games than Unleashed, though I didn't really like the level in the Sonic Unleashed demo. Felt like I was running into spikes every other second.
What was the demo again? Windmill Isle? The levels get better than that. Just learn to not boost boost booooooost into everything. Boosting's a nice addition, but boosting all the time is detrimental to progress. Before long, you'll be playing like this like the rest of us. But the music and the graphics engine are really good.

Also if you do badly, you'll get to listen to this.

qq more

Not gonna say I disagree with you, but that isn't really a good argument when the Ice Climbers are in Smash Bros.

Ice Climbers is a different story. They're "retro" characters and you know how Nintendo is when it comes to pre-SNES reps! Geno is just a square enix character.

Ice Climbers is a different story. They're "retro" characters and you know how Nintendo is when it comes to pre-SNES reps! Geno is just a square enix character.

I think the main reason for the Ice Climbers inclusion was that they offered a unique duo based character alongside being the retro choice.

I don't think SMRPG is dated, the graphics still seem to hold up fine. It has a certain charm to it actually. I think the game was made easy just so it could be accessible, it was the first Mario RPG, people were gonna be interested...why rock the boat with something difficult? Besides, it has it's little parts for the ones who wanted a challenge. It isn't as hilarious as say Superstar Saga but its got its charm...it was their first attempt, they did better the second time around. Mario does control a bit awkward but it isn't too hard to get used to...certainly better than trying to control Sonic in 3D Blast.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I think differently? As usual?

It's only in extremely rare cases that we actually agree on something.
KuGsj.gif

Noi

Bought the Sega Heritage Bundle and Sonic CD. I've never played CD or NiGHTS, so we've got new experiences here.

Once I get my Sony money back, I'll get Sonic Adventure 1 and the DX DLC.

Nope. I was late to the party with SMRPG. I didn't play it until... um... 2001-2002? Anyway, no, I didn't like it very much as I didn't think it aged very well. I like the button prompts (though later games would prove to push the player to use button prompts more often in an acceptable way), but battles felt unrefined to me (and I felt it was easy), and I didn't the visual style of the game. I didn't like how Mario controlled on the field at all, I don't like the menu UI, and I didn't find it to be very fun. It's kinda funny at times. And I could see why people like it. It's not like my dislike of Xenosaga where I can't even comprehend why people find those games fun, because I completely understand why people think SMRPG is fun.

Man, I'm on a roll with not liking things lately, huh?!

I can see all that. I've never really had an inkling to replay SMRPG ever, outside of when it came out on the VC. I think I'd rather play Bowser's Inside Story again. Now that game was fun.

I can only accept hatred on Xenosaga II though. I and III have some things going for them at the very least!

Part of the things you're on a roll with is ACIII, so I'm ok with that. :lol

What was the demo again? Windmill Isle? The levels get better than that. Just learn to not boost boost booooooost into everything. Boosting's a nice addition, but boosting all the time is detrimental to progress. Before long, you'll be playing like this like the rest of us. But the music and the graphics engine are really good.

Also if you do badly, you'll get to listen to this.

Yeah, that's the level. Noted about boosting as well.

Man, learning that Gems are a thing that exists in Sonic '06 is torture. More so reading up on how much easier they could have made the game had I known they existed.

Quackula

It's not like my dislike of Xenosaga where I can't even comprehend why people find those games fun, because I completely understand why people think SMRPG is fun.

I think I would've liked Xenosaga as an anime or something....

...course they ended up making an anime anyway and the pacing was off and it was terrible. Meh.

Oh hey, speaking of GOTY stuff, I just wrote my GOTY blog on Giantbomb.

Unfortunately their tagging system screwed up and now it isn't tagged to anything, so unless I link it to people (like so) nobody will probably find it

Last week I booted up L4D2 for the first time in a long-ass time. I didn't stop until it was 2 in the morning and I played through like 2/3rd of the campaigns on Advanced with various people.

Is L4D(2) the best co-op game ever? I'm inclined to think so. The way it's structured around encouraging teamwork, cooperation, communication, and just working like a unit through its various set pieces, with the ever-changing, always-keep-you-on-your-toes A.I. Director is really quite fuckin' brilliant.

And the characters are just hilarious and /or endearing, especially Ellis.

Oh hey, speaking of GOTY stuff, I just wrote my GOTY blog on Giantbomb.

Unfortunately their tagging system screwed up and now it isn't tagged to anything, so unless I link it to people (like so) nobody will probably find it

You still owe it to yourself to play TWD to the very end. Probably the closest I've gotten to genuinely caring about the characters in a video game plot, and for something I only impulsed bought because it was cheap and my love of the show (outside of S&M Telltale's games really have never gelled with me), season 2 is an instant buy. Only game that came even remotely close to it for me this year was Kid Icarus Uprising, but I can understand how that game could easily put off people.

Last week I booted up L4D2 for the first time in a long-ass time. I didn't stop until it was 2 in the morning and I played through like 2/3rd of the campaigns on Advanced with various people.

Is L4D(2) the best co-op game ever? I'm inclined to think so. The way it's structured around encouraging teamwork, cooperation, communication, and just working like a unit through its various set pieces, with the ever-changing, always-keep-you-on-your-toes A.I. Director is really quite fuckin' brilliant.

And the characters are just hilarious and /or endearing, especially Ellis.

I just wish Left 4 Dead was better advertised as being a game where Versus Mode is the main mode of play. I remember being kind of angry at Left 4 Dead 2 when it first came out because I largely played it in singleplayer and they built in these really strong narrative hooks (stronger than L4D1) and then resolved absolutely nothing. The final rescue is just like any other rescue and leaves basically every question hanging. Where'd the virus come from? Are our characters carriers? Where is the military taking them? What's going to happen next? We never find out.

But Versus Mode is that game's bread and butter. But there's two big problems with it, I think:

1. Bots. Especially in Left 4 Dead 2, bots are the worst dead weight you can imagine. They heal you at the worst times, they don't use throwables or melee weapons, they'll ninja-steal important weapons from you the moment you leave the safe room, they don't pay attention to infected, and sometimes they don't even pay attention to you (I've had scenarios where bots literally stand there and watch me die). You NEED a full game of real humans because ANYONE is better than having a bot on your team.
  2. Pub games are the worst. Every time I've broken down and went hopping through public games on Left 4 Dead 2, I come away regretting it. The last time, I was stuck on a team opposite of two guys who only spoke Spanish and would votekick anyone on their team who made a single mistake. So their team basically became this revolving door of hapless individuals while these two Spanish-speaking guys stomped the shit out of my team (to the point where I almost wonder if they were hacking, because they could do crazy shit like break out of smoker tongues on their own). So not only do you need a full game of real humans, you need a full game of real humans that are also your friends because public games are full of crazy people.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm part of a community where we typically have 10-15 people who regularly play Left 4 Dead 2, because I could never enjoy L4D2 with bots or pubs.

You still owe it to yourself to play TWD to the very end. Probably the closest I've gotten to genuinely caring about the characters in a video game plot, and for something I only impulsed bought because it was cheap and my love of the show (outside of S&M Telltale's games really have never gelled with me), season 2 is an instant buy. Only game that came even remotely close to it for me this year was Kid Icarus, but I can understand how that game could easily put off people.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I just need to get a new HDD so I can get my desktop back up and running. It's killing me that I can't play Episode 5, especially with the way Episode 4 ended.

qq more

L4D used to be so fun but then it got stale super quick, but could be just from playing it so much. Not a fan of the gun play either, it kind of got stale too. I enjoyed Killing Floor far more, such a fun game that still gets awesome updates! (Buzzsaw gun is the best thing in the whole world)

EDIT: Man, I must say... Playing NSMB2 is such a nice break from that god awful Sonic Advance 2 game. The contrast between both games are nuts.

NSMB2
+Great level design that challenges players based on their skill
+Level Design itself is actually creative (not going by themes, going by its layout)
+Unlockables aren't tedious
-Level Themes are the same old stuff
-Weak art direction
-Soundtrack is so lazy, they just take the songs from the games before it

Sonic Advance 2:
-Awful level design that punishes the player for going at top speed (and the game constantly encourages you to do that!)
-Level Design itself is mostly bland and damn boring (not going by themes, going by its layout)
-Unlockables are too god damn tedious to the point that I'd encourage anyone to use cheat codes to unlock things
+Level Themes are actually original (Music Plant and Techno Base)
+Great art direction
+Soundtrack is a huge improvement over its previous game

Noi

Started Sonic Adventure 2 on PSN. Died a few more times on City Escape than I'd like to admit due to forgetting how much looser the homing attack is in this in SA1.

Also, a trophy for getting all the emblems... a trophy hunter's life is never easy. ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So ASR:T is ridiculously pretty and the soundtrack is fantastic.

And the racing is really fun! I'm not that into racing games, but ASR:T is easy to handle. It truly does feel like a Sega reunion/Sega anniversary game in the guise of a racer.

I can see all that. I've never really had an inkling to replay SMRPG ever, outside of when it came out on the VC. I think I'd rather play Bowser's Inside Story again. Now that game was fun.
Bowser's Inside Story is up there with TTYD as the best Mario RPGs created.

I can only accept hatred on Xenosaga II though. I and III have some things going for them at the very least!

Part of the things you're on a roll with is ACIII, so I'm ok with that. :lol
I actually like Xenosaga II's battle system. I felt like I was doing something of value. But how Xenosaga II is designed where I was just there to watch cinematics all day? No, thank you.

I felt Xenosaga III was too slow for my tastes. I'm not sure why. I just didn't enjoy playing through it because, again, it was like I was playing the game to watch a movie, as opposed to playing the game for the game. I don't like the audio design in Xenosaga I and I still didn't like some of the dungeons in that game. Heck, I don't like the dungeons in any of the games. Meh.

Also, a trophy for getting all the emblems... a trophy hunter's life is never easy. ;_;
Don't do it! You'll cry.

I think I would've liked Xenosaga as an anime or something....

...course they ended up making an anime anyway and the pacing was off and it was terrible. Meh.
I felt like the entirety of Xenosaga was them trying to tell an overly bloated narrative instead of sticking to one train of thought. Like, the URTV stuff? I like that stuff, so that's also partially why I don't dislike XS:2 that much. Also, Shion sucks. She is terrible.

NSMB2
+Great level design that challenges players based on their skill
+Level Design itself is actually creative (not going by themes, going by its layout)
+Unlockables aren't tedious
-Level Themes are the same old stuff
-Weak art direction
-Soundtrack is so lazy, they just take the songs from the games before it
I completely agree with all of this. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but its presentation and general objectives are lacking.

Though I think some of the challenge is gone since it's so easy to rack up 1Ups now.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hmm, there's only one Dimps Sonic game that I can say is much better than the NSMB games and that is Sonic Advance 1. I'd say Sonic Rush Adventure and Colors DS are comparable to them, though.

The NSMB series to me is 'fast-food'. What I mean by that is: it's nothing new, nothing 'amazing', nothing innovative, doesn't have the highest production values, but it's quick and easy fun for just about any time.

Mario 3D Land > NSMB series by a landslide, but Sonic Generations > 3D Land by a landslide for me.

I couldn't push myself to finish Unleashed. Got as far as Holaska before the medal collecting stuff started taking it's toll on whatever lingering enjoyment I had of the game.

I got to Eggman Land and promptly quit. Would love to finish it someday, perhaps if I spent less time on GAF I'd get to it!

Generations is better than 3D Land.

3D Land got very tiresome halfway through, I couldn't wait for it to end. Too much of the same, felt like I've been playing the same Mario game for decades.

HD release of Sunshine with extra Shadow Mario levels with 3D Land style levels.

3D Land only got boring on the last special world...too much Cosmic Mario...but otherwise it was an enjoyable romp.

Quackula

I skipped the bulk of this past generation, so there's a LOT of stuff I missed out on. I still have yet to play any of the NSMB games for example.

I felt like the entirety of Xenosaga was them trying to tell an overly bloated narrative instead of sticking to one train of thought. Like, the URTV stuff? I like that stuff, so that's also partially why I don't dislike XS:2 that much. Also, Shion sucks. She is terrible.

The narrative is definitely bloated, convoluted, probably a little pretentious too, but eh I guess I kinda got sucked into the world they built. Game itself was kinda a slog and I agree with your criticisms of the audio and dungeons.

I actually kinda liked Shion, but I only really played like 3/4 of the first game before I got tired of it.

You think that's bad? The Dreamcast version's was SO much worse; the title shows up and... that's it. At least Battle had the decency to show shit HAPPENING.

Yeah, I expected an awesome CG intro since both Adventure and Shuffle had them - yes, the awful slow-loading computer-cheating POS board game title had a better intro than the most recent mainline game to that point. Didn't bother me too much at the time, though, because I was still a heavy cannot at the time, and was just excited to have a new game - the last on a Sega console, even.

Noi

21 emblems. Got the Kart racing ones out of the way ASAP. Didn't get any A ranks in the non-Sonic levels though. :(

I actually like Xenosaga II's battle system. I felt like I was doing something of value. But how Xenosaga II is designed where I was just there to watch cinematics all day? No, thank you.

I felt Xenosaga III was too slow for my tastes. I'm not sure why. I just didn't enjoy playing through it because, again, it was like I was playing the game to watch a movie, as opposed to playing the game for the game. I don't like the audio design in Xenosaga I and I still didn't like some of the dungeons in that game. Heck, I don't like the dungeons in any of the games. Meh.

I like the idea of Xenosaga II's battle system as well. The execution though. The execution of the whole game. For all the complaints about XSI and III, none of them have a dungeon that spans literally 1/2 of game's length.

I didn't care for the ground combat in XSIII, but I felt like the E.S. combat was fantastic. I never got bored of that particular battle system, and fighting Ω Universitas followed by
Ω Id
was one of the highlights of the series.

Don't do it! You'll cry.

I've gotten the Plats for Devil May Cry 2, Neptunia 1 and multiple Musou games. My tear ducts dried up a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom