• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Adventure 2's soundtrack is godlike. I like Adventure 1's but honestly 2 is a whole other level for me. Almost Genesis tier.

ain't gon let it get to me

I like what I've played of AssCreed3. But I'm going to send myself to an early grave completing some of these optional challenges. If I never see another Grenadier, it'll be too soon.

I really don't get what people see in SA2's soundtrack. City Escape aside, the only themes I like are Knuckles and Rouge's stage themes. (The latter moreso than the former)

I've always thought that there was a lot wider variety of musical styles at play in SA1, and I find a lot of the melodies in SA1 tracks to be a lot catchier. To each their own, though!

Sonic Adventure has the better character themes but Sonic Adventure 2 has the Knuckles raps so it's a tie.

0. Sonic R
1. Sonic Colors
2. Sonic Generations
3. Sonic Unleashed (Yes, I said Unleashed.)
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Sonic Adventure 2

This list is objectively correct. People are free to disagree with it, but they must do so knowing that they are factually wrong.

w00tkins

SA1 has a lot of weird synth-y stuff in it which I don't care for. The instrument choices in general are a bit off IMO (although I do love the drum kit they used).

Still a good soundtrack though.

Noi

I can remember most of SA2's soundtrack while I can't remember a single one of SA1's that isn't Open Your Heart. Hell, I remember more Heroes songs than SA1's. Thus SA2's and Heroes' soundtracks are better.

(I'm glad that my replaying SA2 triggered this discussion.)

Also, played Sonic CD today. Got the "bad ending? or something. I don't think I know how to play that game other than it being relatively easy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys. Style Savvy: Trendsetters is surprisingly good.

I like what I've played of AssCreed3. But I'm going to send myself to an early grave completing some of these optional challenges. If I never see another Grenadier, it'll be too soon.
This. I don't want to do any more optional stuff (outside of recruitment to my castle or my Brotherhood, I guess). I don't want to even go for the 100% synch anymore.

I want to see if the ending is worth my boredom.

All those vocal tracks in pretty much all of the Sonic games are soooo cheesy.
Cheese can be good, though.

Also, played Sonic CD today. Got the "bad ending? or something. I don't think I know how to play that game other than it being relatively easy.
To get the good ending either you have to find all of the Time Stones or you go back to the past and destroy the generators and get a Good Future in each act. You have to do it as you play the game, though. It won't work in Time Attack.

You can find maps of each Act here at Zone:0 (click the banners to be taken to a stage).

I'm almost convinced to get the Vita version since apparently the framerate in that one is decent. I'm still surprised that it's as good as it is.

I'm surprised anyone replied to that comment. I had drank barely anything but apparently it was enough to make me make a post that badly spelt. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm surprised anyone replied to that comment. I had drank barely anything but apparently it was enough to make me make a post that badly spelt. :lol
I suspected but I didn't want to say anything. :p

I promise I won't get sauced today. My parents have some wine and some liqueur sitting around for today but knowing them we'll probably have to finish the bottle of wine. Which means I might have to drink more than I feel like.

Well, I'm off round to a friend's house, where the aim is absolutely to get rat-arsed, so I can't say I have the same ambitions. :lol

In preparation for this, I have to go do a bunch of shit, but I just want to play XCOM all day. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What're plannin' on drinkin'? Play XCOM while drinking! that oughta be fun and strategic.

Man, I wish I had vodka (prolly a Smirnoff; I'm in the mood) or rum to drink tonight instead of that silly white wine they bought. I don't like white wine at all.

I'm probably drinking vodka, funnily enough. :p We should have a fair bit of it, so why not. I can usually handle vodka surprisingly well, so I might as well- beats drinking beer all night and watching everyone else get drunk around me.

I suppose it's not the ideal drink if you're having a night in with the parents, though. :p

This. I don't want to do any more optional stuff (outside of recruitment to my castle or my Brotherhood, I guess). I don't want to even go for the 100% synch anymore.

I want to see if the ending is worth my boredom.

I'm in far too deep to stop going for 100% mission completion. If you haven't prayed for me in my foolish attempt to 100% SA1, then do it now.

FTree Running is always a blast, though. I've said it a bunch of times, but I feel like Disney's Tarzan when doing it. :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
I can remember most of SA2's soundtrack while I can't remember a single one of SA1's that isn't Open Your Heart. Hell, I remember more Heroes songs than SA1's. Thus SA2's and Heroes' soundtracks are better.

(I'm glad that my replaying SA2 triggered this discussion.)

Time to reacquaint yourself and give each and every one of these a full listen to.

Sonic Adventure - E101 Beta mk II

Sonic Adventure - Twinkle Park (Twinkle Cart)

Sonic Adventure - Tikal

Sonic Adventure - Station Square

Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway (At Dawn)

Sonic Adventure - Lost World (Tricky Maze)

Sonic Adventure - Sky Deck

City Escape is really good.

I wish I could find an argument for the rest of it but I can't...

Uh...

Chao Garden is amazing.
Really good? lets not go nuts, the fact that the first stage is considered by far away the best kind of says it all for SA2.

I played a bit of Sonic Colors on Dolphin yesterday and I was suddenly reminded how fun it was.

I now can't decide if Gen or Colors is better...
If I was having trouble deciding then it was Colours challenge mode that tipped the scales, it's a fun 2-3 hours.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't got much of a chance to listen to everything this past weekend because I was busy with a bunch of other stuff (I baked three more cakes yesterday while doing some stuff for the RPG thread and writing some stuff for the Technika Tune thread), but I don't think I've heard a soundtrack that I'm going to outright say, "yes, this is my soundtrack of the year". It's become a lot like my GotY decisions.

I'm not sure what to do with Hotline Miami's soundtrack. I don't really want to shell out for the game right now. I think it's good, but after all the discussion surrounding it being a controversial choice, I might shove it into my honourable mentions or not even include it at all.
Hotline Miami does have a soundtrack I might send to the honourable mentions without even playing it but due to the whole licensed part of half the soundtrack i'm thinking I wouldn't bring it out of the HM spot anyway because those are the random rules i've inflicted upon myself.

I really don't get what people see in SA2's soundtrack. City Escape aside, the only themes I like are Knuckles and Rouge's stage themes. (The latter moreso than the former)

I've always thought that there was a lot wider variety of musical styles at play in SA1, and I find a lot of the melodies in SA1 tracks to be a lot catchier. To each their own, though!
It's odd, while I acknowledge the superiority of SA1's diverse soundtrack I just like SA2's more, I blame metal harbour.

You guys. Style Savvy: Trendsetters is surprisingly good.
Well Syn Sophia did make some incredible wrasslin' games back in their AKI days, I imagine that they may well have such power to make such a concept work better than i'd imagine it to.

Happy new year from the future, SonicGAF! 2013 feels pretty good so far, physics are certainly better than 06.
Still one more day to put this shoddy year behind me, 2013 is the year of redemption, it will be my Sonic Colours style revival, mark my words!

Christopher

Sonic Adventure 1's soundtrack is genesis tier godlike - what an amazing soundtrack top to bottom and I LOVE my cheesy songs.

Sonic Adventure 2 also had a great soundtrack some off the top of my head:

• City Escape
  • Mission Street
  • Final Chase
  • Final Rush
  • Route 101
  • Metal Harbor
  • Eternal Engine
  • Hidden Base

qq more

Wild Canyon is full of quotables.
GIVE UP THE EMERALD OR DIE I DONT LOVE YOU

Best boss theme of the entire game, hands down. E102's campaign was amazinggggg.

This list is objectively correct. People are free to disagree with it, but they must do so knowing that they are factually wrong.
Sonic R controls so weird. I can't make a turn very well if I'm running so fast.

Really good? lets not go nuts, the fact that the first stage is considered by far away the best kind of says it all for SA2.
What did you think of Generations' remake of that level? Curious.

Happy new year from the future, SonicGAF! 2013 feels pretty good so far, physics are certainly better than 06.
I don't know what you're talking about. 06's physics are so flawless thatwoahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *falls through floor*

OMG Aero

A video game stream I regularly watch started a Sonic 2006 race yesterday, it was pretty damn funny watch 4 people run up against IT'S NO USE and losing all their lives one after the other.
Probably the only time a Sonic game had anything resembling a good story.

Such a bittersweet tale.
Real talk: Gamma is the best Sonic character.

What did you think of Generations' remake of that level? Curious.

Classic: Classic Sonic's take on City Escape is a treat, it takes the concept of the killer truck and runs with it creating an ever present threat that will barrel through from the background itself to try and take you out, escaping from its wrath in these sections in particular is much more tense as you desperately try to scramble up the scaffold as it's gradually taken out from beneath you.
Throw in the skateboard powerup that reminds me of the few odder powerups seen in some of the Game Gear entries and the dare I say catchier take on the fan favourite stage theme and you have a very good level.

Modern: Now for the opposite, Modern Sonic's take is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, it's a modern City Escape, you start off boarding down the streets, now with a few more pathways to take but really there's nothing much to this. Upon getting back on foot you're presented with the level designers day off, the 3D sections consist of bland and empty park areas that don't even try to present much interesting level design, it's far more concerned with having a few areas from the original stage now in HD, look here's the wall you run down! here's the area you land in after the boarding section but revamped a bit! the big staircase to the truck section! oh and speaking of which there's the final homage to the truck itself, now functioning a bit more like the various laser blasting chaser bots from Unleashed and Colours but for much longer than it really needs to, while the first time the truck suddenly sprouts rockets and blazes after you across the side of a building is an unexpected treat it's also unfortunately a true hold boost to win moment that's entirely sizzle and no steak.
Which is a good way to describe the stage, it's mostly flash with little substance and aside from perhaps the intentionally simple Green Hill Zone stage it's what i'd consider the weakest modern stage by a fair distance.
I'd say the original SA2 stage is actually a bit more fun since it doesn't feel as bloated with the more automated sections, even the brief 2D platforming section of modern city escape manages to feel more fiddly than the rest of Generations.

I don't know what you're talking about. 06's physics are so flawless thatwoahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *falls through floor*
Truefax: I fell through the floor for the first time in SA2 yesterday. Was Eggman in Lost Colony; at the top of a very large vertical shaft where you ride a platform that automatically takes you up, I got onto the platform and went to the left to investigate an animal I saw (not like I've got any chao, yet, to give it to, but still). Next thing I know, I'm caught on the railing on the edge of the platform. And then I'm suddenly halfway into the floor, and can't jump out. And then I'm suddenly falling very, very far down.

Fortunately, I was able to land on the platform that brings you up that shaft (it had apparently reset its position) and just rode it up again, taking the unwanted opportunity to clean up whatever targets I'd missed on the first go around. Still got an A.

I'd add Final Egg 2 to that list as well. That song almost invalidates SA2's soundtrack by itself, for me. Oh, and Hot Shelter 2 helps me get my groove on.

Noi

I may or may not be streaming Sonic Adventure 1 today. Depends on how I feel like in the next 5 minutes.

Wow, I thought I was alone in not finding the Neptunia games that funny. I don't find them very funny at all because a lot of the humour relies on anime moe stuff that I'm not too fond of. Neptunia mk2 is a much better game, though it does have a character who disgustingly preys on the children characters, so that's an aspect that I disliked a lot about it. But outside of that? The battle system was surprisingly very engaging.

I'm either desensitized by it at this point or just plain out don't care for it. The VA itself wasn't that bad either, outside of one or two casting decisions that... I don't particularly care for. But I would have gone nuts had there been even one more "tee hee Nisa is flat" joke, which is pretty much EVERYTHING they do with her. If I liked that kinda humor in video games, I'd have to re-evalutate my opinion of every moe pandering shitty anime released in the past 5 years.

To get the good ending either you have to find all of the Time Stones or you go back to the past and destroy the generators and get a Good Future in each act. You have to do it as you play the game, though. It won't work in Time Attack.

You can find maps of each Act here at Zone:0 (click the banners to be taken to a stage).

I got that, but I'm unsure on.. how to time travel, or something? There were times when I went fast for long stretches and never got the warping to work, other times where I just went a short distance and it worked... And that's of course without counting the really confusing color arrangements at times. I only time traveled 3 times and they were all by accident.

Time to reacquaint yourself and give each and every one of these a full listen to.

I'll reacquaint myself when I replay SA1, thank you very much!

I got that, but I'm unsure on.. how to time travel, or something? There were times when I went fast for long stretches and never got the warping to work, other times where I just went a short distance and it worked... And that's of course without counting the really confusing color arrangements at times. I only time traveled 3 times and they were all by accident.
It's not that hard to grasp. Just keep in mind the basics:

• You need to have passed a "Past" or "Future" sign, depending on which direction you want to go.
  • You need to find an area that allows you to move at top speed for a good three-to-five seconds (I forget the exact timeframe). If you keep top speed for that long, you will time travel.
  • If you slow down when the "Past" or "Future" sign near your life bar is flashing, the warp will be cancelled and the sign permanently lost (since the signs don't unflip). You can slow down any time it isn't flashing, however, without losing it.
The real tricky part is finding the ideal spot in each act to do the warp. Usually there are quarter-pipes that are quite conducive to this effect (apparently gravity isn't a factor in the "top speed" calculations or something), or perhaps two horizontal springs facing each other. If you're playing the PS3/360/Steam version, I believe there's an oversight in Quartz Quadrant Zone where changing a vertical conveyor belt to push you upwards over and over again doesn't trigger the time travel mechanic (despite it doing so in earlier versions of the game, and Taxman having fixed this oversight in the mobile versions) - particularly annoying since the rest of the level doesn't have any good place to build up and maintain velocity.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Or you could look at the Zone:0 maps and see the best places to do the Time Warp again if you aren't too familiar with the levels.

Happy new year, Future Person.

are there robots in your world

what's the food and booze like

Hotline Miami does have a soundtrack I might send to the honourable mentions without even playing it but due to the whole licensed part of half the soundtrack i'm thinking I wouldn't bring it out of the HM spot anyway because those are the random rules i've inflicted upon myself.
I think I'm going to do that. It really doesn't help that I haven't played Hotline Miami either, so I can't exactly talk about the soundtrack in the context of the game at all. And throw the whole licensed bit in there and you've got me struggling.

I don't know. Like, here's part of my list for the top spot:
-Dustforce (and I already gave away that I'm ranking this)
-Tales of Xillia 2
-Time Travelers
-Nayuta no Kiseki
-Darksiders II
-Gravity Rush
-Final Fantasy XIII-2
-Ragnarok Odyssey
-Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4

Relegated to Honourable Mentions:
-Beyond the Labyrinth
-Rhythm Thief & The Emperor’s Treasure
-Hotline Miami
-Dikembe Mutombo's 4 1/2 Weeks to Save the World

I've knocked off:
-Genso Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century
-Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
-Journey
-Persona 4: The Golden
-Persona 4 Arena
-Sound Shapes
-Assassin's Creed III
-Adventure Time: Hey Ice King; Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?
-Double Dragon Neon
-The Last Story
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Well Syn Sophia did make some incredible wrasslin' games back in their AKI days, I imagine that they may well have such power to make such a concept work better than i'd imagine it to.
This game has no wrasslin', and the dialogue isn't as cool as wrasslin'. :(

Christopher

I think sonic adventure one could use some tightening on its controls the story scenes Completely redone sonic adventure 2 style and a remaster of the soundtrack it's IMO one of the best sonic games ever

RobbieNick

from what I've played

Generations>Adventure 2>>>>>>>>>>>Adventure>>>Heroes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>06>>>Colors>Unleashed

You put Colors and Unleashed BELOW '06? Are you insane?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
happy new year from the EST time zone, everyone!

I'm not drunk. I'm kinda buzzed. Sooooo, success! (I still have to help empty this bottle. -_-)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This wine is 9.5% and I drank it too fast.

It's easier when i drink rum or vodka cuz at least that stuff tastes okay. I'm backspacing a lot in this post so it doesn't bode well.

qq more

the only time i ever drank was 2011's new years eve and i only had a bit of rum in my soda or something i forgot

i dont really drink anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom