• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't get why they buy these huge bottles of wine for new years when they know people don't really drink in this house. :/

plus the wine sucks. blech at white wine.

i think I'm going to have a pop to cleanse my palate after this.

I think I'm gonna have a pepsi.

the only time i ever drank was 2011's new years eve and i only had a bit of rum in my soda or something i forgot

i dont really drink anyways

Last time I drank on New Years Eve was for 2010, and god damn did I do a lot of shit I'm not proud of that night.

I'm perfectly happy with soda/sparkling cider this year.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I stopped liking the taste of Coke, but give it to me at restaurants and I can't tell the darn difference between the two.

But I should've bought a few cases of the Coke/Sprite in glass bottles, though. They taste so much better than the canned/plastic bottle product. I hate pop in plastic bottles. It tastes terrible.

Wait, RC Cola's pretty cool when it's cold.

Coke > Pepsi

I used to love Coke, but got sick of it after that East Coast blackout in '03, when the only thing there was to drink in my house the whole time was Coke. (And warm Coke, at that!)

I remember there being a company that sold these vanilla flavored sodas. Really wish I remembered the company, because those were probably the best sodas I've ever tasted.

Noi

This is our pop of choice over here.

malta-india.jpg

So good.

I don't drink carbonated drinks regularly. So now when ever I have one or two throughout the year I burp uncontrollably.

The body is weird.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll forever associate the 2003 blackout with the first day being after the day when I had my first kiss.
KuGsj.gif

I also remember almost closing the car door all the way on my arm the first day of the blackout (we went to buy ice and candles). :D
At the time, where I live wasn't very populated like it is now, so it was really dark and quiet, and you could see all the stars in the sky.

Meccanical said:
I don't drink carbonated drinks regularly. So now when ever I have one or two throughout the year I burp uncontrollably.
It's a holiday so I have to celebrate.

Noi said:
*Malta (drink)*
We have a case of that (not that brand) downstairs, but I've never tried it before.

Noi

We have a case of that (not that brand) downstairs, but I've never tried it before.

What brand is it? I can't say I'd suggest it depending on said brand, but it's a holiday so may as well discover brave new frontier!

...But refrigerate it first, cause Ice cold is best.

I'll forever associate the 2003 blackout with the first day being after the day when I had my first kiss.
KuGsj.gif

I also remember almost closing the car door all the way on my arm the first day of the blackout (we went to buy ice and candles). :D
At the time, where I live wasn't very populated like it is now, so it was really dark and quiet, and you could see all the stars in the sky.

I spent the first hour or two of that blackout stuck in a cramped, unpleasant smelling elevator. Then when the Fire Department finally got me out, all of my neighbors were talking about how the grocery stores were giving away Ice Cream by the bucket in the time that I was stuck. I felt like I had missed Christmas. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I spent the first hour or two of that blackout stuck in a cramped, unpleasant smelling elevator. Then when the Fire Department finally got me out, all of my neighbors were talking about how the grocery stores were giving away Ice Cream by the bucket in the time that I was stuck. I felt like I had missed Christmas. :lol
Oh no! That's really crappy. :/

They were still giving free stuff away when they realized that it wasn't going to just be 30 minutes - 2 hours around here. We just thought it was going to be an hour or so until we started calling around and found batteries for a radio.

Also random people directing traffic.

I always wonder how something like that would go off today considering technology's further along.

What brand is it? I can't say I'd suggest it depending on said brand, but it's a holiday so may as well discover brave new frontier!

...But refrigerate it first, cause Ice cold is best.
Let's see...
Smalta
Malta Carib
Malta Goya

I have no idea why mom and dad bought all of it. Hahaha.

Noi

Let's see...
Smalta
Malta Carib
Malta Goya

I have no idea why mom and dad bought all of it. Hahaha.

Malta Goya is like the offbrand cereal that kinda tastes the same as the real deal but still makes you feel poor cause you aren't easting the real deal instead.

Malta Carib is alright. Not as good as India, but it's an ok substitute.

Never heard of Smalta. Apparently the Internet hasn't either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Malta Goya is like the offbrand cereal that kinda tastes the same as the real deal but still makes you feel poor cause you aren't easting the real deal instead.

Malta Carib is alright. Not as good as India, but it's an ok substitute.

Never heard of Smalta. Apparently the Internet hasn't either.
Haha, so stay away from the Goya, go for the Carib. Alright. Thanks for the advice.

Smalta's this thing.
NBMV1.jpg

Noi

Haha, so stay away from the Goya, go for the Carib. Alright. Thanks for the advice.

Smalta's this thing.

I saw that, I meant more along the lines of how there's more unrelated resuts on the googl search than ones about it. :p

I'm spending the dawn of the new year playing more SA2. 64 emblems.

Sprite was the correct answer, btw. Favorite soda.

Not that this means much to a guy who consciously stopped drinking soda like half a year ago, though.

Noi

74 Emblems and one B rank in Radical Highway Mission 4 later...

Dear whoever at Sonic Team thought 3 minutes was enough to beat Radical Highway:

Fuck you.

Happy New Year,
Noi

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy New Year SonicGAF. I played Racing Transformed and now I want it.
BUY IT!

It's way better than I thought it was going to be. Seriously.

74 Emblems and one B rank in Radical Highway Mission 4 later...

Dear whoever at Sonic Team thought 3 minutes was enough to beat Radical Highway:

Fuck you.

Happy New Year,
Noi
This is partially why I never want to get all of the emblems in these games. They're annoying.

Quackula

Looking in some old threads and I see this post

Okay, I knew that Sonic 3 and Knuckles changed up some music stuff, made level design adjustments when you play as Knuckles in the 3 stages, etc, but I never knew that it actually makes minor changes to the level layouts even while playing as Sonic/Tails.

Cool.

I'm still amazed that the Sonic and Knuckles lock on thing never really caught on. Such a genius idea.

Kokonoe

Banned
Plus it's healthier for you.

yep!
What kind of tea are we talking here?
Standard Black Iced Tea. I don't eat there, but this place called Cane's sells my favorite tea in jugs, but my tier list currently for tea is..

Cane's > Golden Peak > Starbucks > Lipton

Those are the ones I like, and I don't drink carbonated drinks, but back when I use to in 2007, my favorite was Coca Cola. I also recall liking RC Cola.

Looking in some old threads and I see this post

Okay, I knew that Sonic 3 and Knuckles changed up some music stuff, made level design adjustments when you play as Knuckles in the 3 stages, etc, but I never knew that it actually makes minor changes to the level layouts even while playing as Sonic/Tails.

Cool.

I'm still amazed that the Sonic and Knuckles lock on thing never really caught on. Such a genius idea.

Best idea ever.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still find it hilarious that I was hyping Sonic Racing Transformed so much and spreading the 'good word' all over the net about how great it was going to be, but ended up being so underwhelmed by it. Lesson learned, never hype games. Especially if you really like a previous entry a lot because they'll take away everything you enjoy and disappoint you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Starbucks is expensive. I don't go there unless other people invite me along. The States clearly needs more Tim Hortons locations. :O

What's Gold Peak taste like?

There's this amazing dessert parlour that we go to every now and then (because it's expensive) that serves nicely-prepared teas and coffees. Lots of organic teas (because they make everything from scratch there; so cakes, ice cream, etc. everything's homemade), lattes, coffees, etc. Anyway, it's awesome, and the shop is just the right size and the lighting's good. I love it.

When I started my undergrad in 2006, all the kids got hooked on those Amazon green teas, but they aren't even good because there's so much sugar in them. Green tea without a lot of supplementary stuff is good for you. I used to go to school in downtown Toronto and Scarborough then so I used to go to this place called the House of Tea, and there was this amazing tea called Sencha Asatsuyo--it's a type of Green Tea with jasmine and rose petals. It smells like fruit. If you need to go to a tea shop in Toronto, go there. They're excellent. Their brand of flavoured green teas are lovely, and I love the Camillo. Just... it's expensive, that's all.

Um. they had a Christmas tea that's black tea + almond + vanilla + cinnamon. I haven't had it before, but I heard it was nice.

I started cutting pop out of my diet a few years ago too. Wasn't good for my teeth, too much sugar doesn't help since diabetes runs in my family, and it clearly was a source for weight gain. But it doesn't hurt to indulge now and then like holidays or something.

I had Orange Pekoe Tetley Tea once. I didn't like it very much. And I like white tip oolong every now and then.

Green Scar said:
boooooooooooooooo
booooooooo indeed. :/

I was falling asleep.

Kokonoe said:
I still find it hilarious that I was hyping Sonic Racing Transformed so much and spreading the 'good word' all over the net about how great it was going to be, but ended up being so underwhelmed by it. Lesson learned, never hype games. Especially if you really like a previous entry a lot because they'll take away everything you enjoy and disappoint you.
Hype is bad. Never hype anything.

What'd they take away from Transformed that you didn't end up liking?

Kokonoe

Banned
Starbucks is expensive. I don't go there unless other people invite me along. The States clearly needs more Tim Hortons locations. :O

What's Gold Peak taste like?

There's this amazing dessert parlour that we go to every now and then (because it's expensive) that serves nicely-prepared teas and coffees. Lots of organic teas (because they make everything from scratch there; so cakes, ice cream, etc. everything's homemade), lattes, coffees, etc. Anyway, it's awesome, and the shop is just the right size and the lighting's good. I love it.

When I started my undergrad in 2006, all the kids got hooked on those Amazon green teas, but they aren't even good because there's so much sugar in them. Green tea without a lot of supplementary stuff is good for you. I used to go to school in downtown Toronto and Scarborough then so I used to go to this place called the House of Tea, and there was this amazing tea called Sencha Asatsuyo--it's a type of Green Tea with jasmine and rose petals. It smells like fruit. If you need to go to a tea shop in Toronto, go there. They're excellent. Their brand of flavoured green teas are lovely, and I love the Camillo. Just... it's expensive, that's all.

Um. they had a Christmas tea that's black tea + almond + vanilla + cinnamon. I haven't had it before, but I heard it was nice.

I started cutting pop out of my diet a few years ago too. Wasn't good for my teeth, too much sugar doesn't help since diabetes runs in my family, and it clearly was a source for weight gain. But it doesn't hurt to indulge now and then like holidays or something.

I had Orange Pekoe Tetley Tea once. I didn't like it very much. And I like white tip oolong every now and then.

Golden Peak Tea is actually pretty good, and they sell the unsweetened and sweetened in grocery markets for like 2$ or 3$ for the bigger jug. Starbucks tea is a really strong tea, but Golden Peak isn't like that and is more balanced all around, it's very easy to drink and there's more flavor to it since it isn't so potent.

I use to drink Green Tea a lot actually, but the caffeine in it ended up giving me lots of headaches. Shame too because I do like Green Tea.

Hype is bad. Never hype anything.

What'd they take away from Transformed that you didn't end up liking?

Lesson learned.

And...

Drifting

Drifting is harder to do this time, and you have much less control over the vehicle while drifting compared to the last game. It kinda makes the drift challenges harder solely because of that, and because I can't keep the vehicle in place by holding the opposite direction like I could before. Now it seems the more you do that, the more it pushes you the side you don't want, but if you don't do anything you'll end up going to the other side anyways because that's the direction you are drifting in.​

Control

This game is a lot more stiff and heavy in comparison to the last game and I can't say I enjoy that. I really enjoyed how the last game was more designed with control over your car than trying to emulate actual cars. The lack of control in comparison is a shame, but it isn't bad or terrible in this game, I just think the last one got that down pat pretty good so it feels like a step down.​

Options

The last game had tons of customization options and they took them all out essentially. You could...

Disable Hazards
Disable Items (There is a boost mode but you still use boosts)
Disable All-Stars
Disable Catch-Up

FwWSu.png

You could even disable the CPU racers while online so people can just play against each other.

I also wrote something on how you unlock characters in this.

SEGA Miles were better than Stars

Why? well, the SEGA Miles system was essentially a cash/point system that gave you points depending on how good you raced, what you did, or how you did it. The best thing about this feature is that you could obtain SEGA Miles from doing practically anything in the game in either of the modes.

The good side to this is the fact that you weren't forced to do single player or any one mode. You could go online and obtain them, you could obtain them in Single Races, Grand Prix, Battle, anything you desired and at your own pace.

The other thing that was greater about this system was that not only did it let you have additional entertainment knowing you could do what you wanted to unlock things, the shop that was used to unlock things let you purchase whatever you wanted in three separate categories: Characters, Stages, and Music. What's great about this? Simple. You could unlock which characters you wanted first, and which content you desired. With the current Star setup, let's say your favorite character is Gum, you'd have to spend a vast amount of time in comparison to the SEGA Miles system.

Difficulty and Stars

Either or not you agree, there are tons of complaints over the difficulty of this game. Some consider it 'cheap' some consider it a 'challenge', but the thing here is that a lot of people do have complaints over this so I'd like to discuss the aspect this has on the game with the Star system.

To obtain stars in this game, you have to do World Tour, and you obtain them by being the races/challenges. You obtain 1 Star for Easy, 2 Stars for Medium, and 3 Stars for Expert. For those who have issues with the difficulty, they cannot play at their own leisure thanks to this system thus making this system inferior to the previous game.

Obtaining Stars and completing these numerous challenges I consider tedious myself, but it's not either not it is tedious, but it does take a considerable more time to get things done in comparison to the last game, and you can't do what you desire as the first game as well.

As you can see below, you have to at least be doing Medium to be able to press on essentially. At the time I had 90 stars, and I needed 95 Stars to open up the next room. I made this before the Wii U was patched, but as you can see you must only do medium to succeed.

Sunshine Coast 17/24

Coastal Cruise ★ ★ ☆
Canyon Carnage ★ ★ ★
Downtown Drift ★ ★ ★
Battlezone Blast ★ ★ ☆
Studio Scrapes ★ ★ ☆
Roulette Rush ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Monkey Mayhem ★ ★ ☆
Starry Speedway ★ ★ ☆

Frozen Valley 19/30

Studio Scurry ★ ★ ☆
Traffic Attack ★ ★ ☆
Pirate Plunder ★ ★ ☆
Banana Boost ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Seaside Scrap ★ ★ ★
Snowball Shakedown ★ ★ ☆
Snaking Skies ★ ★ ☆
Shinobi Scramble ★ ★ ☆
Neon Knockout ★ ★ ☆
Graffiti Groove ★ ★ ☆

Scorching Skies 21/30

Adder Assault ★ ★ ☆
Keil's Carnage ★ ★ ☆
Rogue Rings ★ ★ ☆
Sanctuary Speedway ★ ★ ☆
Shrine Time ★ ★ ☆
Sunshine Slide ★ ★ ★
Dreamy Drive ★ ★ ☆
Carrier Crisis ★ ★ ☆
Seaside Skirmish ★ ★ ☆
Hangar Hassle ★ ★ ☆

Twilight Engine 18/30

Undertaker Overtaker ★ ★ ☆
Monkey Brawl ★ ★ ☆
Death Egg Duel ★ ★ ☆
Golden Gauntlet ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Ruin Run ★ ★ ☆
Hatcher Hustle ★ ★ ☆
Racing Rangers ★ ★ ☆
Booty Boost ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Crumbling Chaos ★ ★ ☆
Shinobi Showdown ★ ★ ☆

Moonlight Park 15/30

Carnival Clash ★ ★ ☆
Curien Curves ★ ★ ☆
Jet Set Jaunt ☆ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Ocean Outrun ★ ★ ☆
Billy Backslide ★ ★ ☆
Carrier Charge ★ ★ ☆
Speeding Seasons ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
Burning Boost ★ ★ ☆
Arcade Annihilation ★ ★ ☆

I do have other complaints such as this game has a lot more bugs than the original, the online collision bug where you send people flying if you bump into them, and the tracks being way too long sometimes, and the bothersome difficulty of the AI. I also feel the tracks aren't as well designed in terms of layout as the first one. You could also set specific music to the levels in the first one.

Anyways, those are practically all my complaints, I do enjoy playing it, but in so many ways it's such a step down.

Maybe Kokonoe really hates wobble bass.

That would be qq more, I actually like dubstep!

qq more

dubstep is soooo dumb like how is it music

its kind of hilarious to listen to though except when they ruin great songs like that outrun track...

no offense to any dubstep fans, i just dont understand that WUBWUBBB FART FARTTTTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom