• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

So I'm hearing a lot of whining about the recent arc in Archie Sonic...what's the problem?

I'll go over it more when I get my hands on #244, but the short version is that whatever they were planning to do with this arc got hacked up and replaced at the eleventh hour, and it shows.

Looking in some old threads and I see this post

Okay, I knew that Sonic 3 and Knuckles changed up some music stuff, made level design adjustments when you play as Knuckles in the 3 stages, etc, but I never knew that it actually makes minor changes to the level layouts even while playing as Sonic/Tails.

Cool.
Yep. They took the extra time S&K afforded them to clean up some of the engine's bugs and include a few object layout changes for Sonic 3 as well. IIRC, they're all beneficial to the player.

I'm still amazed that the Sonic and Knuckles lock on thing never really caught on. Such a genius idea.
It only worked because the engine and data formats are effectively identical between Sonic 3 and S&K, and close enough for Sonic 2 that a little on the fly patching could handle it. It's not a technique that's widely applicable, and the pass-through cart probably cost them more to produce as well.

I'll go over it more when I get my hands on #244, but the short version is that whatever they were planning to do with this arc got hacked up and replaced at the eleventh hour, and it shows.

Yep. They took the extra time S&K afforded them to clean up some of the engine's bugs and include a few object layout changes for Sonic 3 as well. IIRC, they're all beneficial to the player.

It only worked because the engine and data formats are effectively identical between Sonic 3 and S&K, and close enough for Sonic 2 that a little on the fly patching could handle it. It's not a technique that's widely applicable, and the pass-through cart probably cost them more to produce as well.

Yea I was just looking over at Bumbleking and I guess it has to do with the Penders situation going on...alas. Hopefully things will smooth out while the crossover is going on.

WUB WUB WU WU WU WUUB SKREEEEE BRRRRM TOOM TOOM WAA WRUUUM

That's dubstep.

Huh, still don't get it but it's okay. I'm fine with not knowing.

TheOGB

Banned
dubstep is soooo dumb like how is it music

its kind of hilarious to listen to though except when they ruin great songs like that outrun track...

no offense to any dubstep fans, i just dont understand that WUBWUBBB FART FARTTTTT
That's the song that gets stuck in my head most often :<

I don't remember the original track

*doesn't even know what the hell dubstep is*
Youtube search "Skrillex"

You're welcome/I'm sorry

qq more

So I played sonic jump on my girlfriends iPhone

It's better than colors

you're going backwards now, you're suppose to find something worse than 06 to pick on colors, not better

but of course that's actually impossible unless we consider sonic 1 GBA to be worse

The PC port of Sonic Adventure 2 is weeeeird.

If I run it in windowed mode, it's like the whole game runs at 150% speed and is missing certain visual effects (the text overlays during the SA2B intro, for instance).

But that all goes away and the game runs fine if I boot in to it full screen.

So I played sonic jump on my girlfriends iPhone

It's better than colors

so so so wrong!

The PC port of Sonic Adventure 2 is weeeeird.

If I run it in windowed mode, it's like the whole game runs at 150% speed and is missing certain visual effects (the text overlays during the SA2B intro, for instance).

But that all goes away and the game runs fine if I boot in to it full screen.

I bought it on steam but not tried it yet, saving it to play on a windows tablet next year or something.

BlackJace

RjGh.bmp

The Mobian Empire shall soon rule over all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both of you should be ashamed.

I should finally get twitch account, huh. I'm too lazy.

Kokonoe said:
Why ASR:T ain't all that
Wow, that was incredibly thorough.

I agree about the customization options and the Star system. I wish those were still in there because sometimes you just want to race for the leisure of it, rather than deal with rubberband AI. I guess they wanted to make the game a little challenging but it ultimately turns into a grind. Oh, and I agree about the drifting too. I don't like the drifting in this very much.

It's not perfect. I'm still having fun with it, but I'm getting a kick out of the presentation than anything else at the moment.

Holy shit guys. I just bought a new laptop and downloaded the Generations PC demo off Steam. This game is effing ridiculous at 60fps with max settings. Like, woah 0_0

Sciz

Mobius is a construct of Sega of America, and was only ever canon for the western-developed shows and comics. The games all occur on what's supposed to be Earth (or "Sonic's world", if you want to go with Colors' awkward nomenclature).

Here's the US manual for the game; good luck finding a mention of it.

Actually looked through all the US manuals shortly after getting Sonic Jam many years ago; the only mention of "Mobius" is in an ad on the back of Sonic 3's manual... for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which takes place in the clearly-established-as-Mobius Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog universe.

IIRC Sonic CD has mention of it in its manual, but it also thinks Amy Rose is Princess Sally.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man Sonic-GAF, I have to say the surprise use of "Back in Time" from Sonic R really tripped me up when it started playing in the Sky Sanctuary level in Sonic Racing Transformed. That's my favorite Sonic R song and I guess it's memorable for others apparently.

TheOGB

Banned
I was ridiculously elated when someone on GAF mentioned in a preview thread that the song was in there. Sonic R's soundtrack is so goddamned delightful.

Both Saturn Traveller's Tales games have amazing soundtracks.

But the lyrics are terrible. Enjoyable in a guilty-pleasure kinda way, but they're really bad otherwise.

BlackJace

Mobius is a construct of Sega of America, and was only ever canon for the western-developed shows and comics. The games all occur on what's supposed to be Earth (or "Sonic's world", if you want to go with Colors' awkward nomenclature).

Ooh, wow, this is news to me.

Well hey there guys, long time no see.

531765_465301830193349eayx.jpg

That mouth... why?
(reuploaded so non-members who lurk here - whoever the heck you are - can see it)

I'll be honest, I haven't had much faith in this one. I know it's shallow, and I try not to bring it up much, but excessively relying on the old SoA continuity (insisting on using things like "Mobius" or "Robotnik", come Hell or high water) gets on my nerves. And while I have no evidence this film actually does that, using the voice actor for Sonic during that period, Jaleel White, doesn't particularly instill confidence that that isn't the direction this'll go in.

For a more concrete criticism, I don't think Jaleel White's Sonic voice is a good fit for the modern design of Sonic, which this... furry thing appears to be taking influence from.

It'll still be better than whatever Ken Penders was planning, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Non-members lurk here?
Hellooooo!

...back to discussing the aesthetic quality of that Sonic model because yikes. The blur at the top doesn't do it any favours either.

Shadow Hog said:
It'll still be better than whatever Ken Penders was planning, though.
Yeah, that's true.

Kokonoe

Banned
The fur is what's the worst aspect for me(and that's pretty bad), but seems like it'd be fun to watch some kind of Sonic movie with some quality even if it's fan-made.

Wow, that was incredibly thorough.

I agree about the customization options and the Star system. I wish those were still in there because sometimes you just want to race for the leisure of it, rather than deal with rubberband AI. I guess they wanted to make the game a little challenging but it ultimately turns into a grind. Oh, and I agree about the drifting too. I don't like the drifting in this very much.

It's not perfect. I'm still having fun with it, but I'm getting a kick out of the presentation than anything else at the moment.

Thanks! when I feel like it I can put a bit of effort in my posts.

Yeah, it's fun to play, mainly for the racing, it's just more of a comparison to the first one.

I don't know how to feel about that model, but it will be interesting(by that I mean hilarious) to here Jaleel White voice Sonic again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom