• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I actually prefer the remake of Adventure called Nightmare in Dreamland, which is my favorite Kirby game. But yeah, those are the top 2 for sure.

I just got that game in the mail today lol. I remember playing it as a kid, enjoying it, but never finishing it. Time to fix that.

Kirby games aren't masterpieces, but always solid fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Right, I need to get this FF6 entry done too. I took a nap yesterday and wasn't able to complete it. It's only 7 pages long, but I put the images in imgur already so the links are already in there. I just need to write up the text. Edit... which... would make it 13 pages by the end I think.

but that's the bad one.
No, that's Shadow Dragon, arguably.

I drive by post to tell everyone I think a game sucks all the time.

Which probably makes me seem like a jerk but eh, I'm fine with that.

People need to understand, I don't WANT to hate any games. I wish every game I played was immaculate, but some games make me hate them by the silly things they do or easy things they neglect. And dammit sometimes I need to get it off my chest.
You know I can't do that! I need to write posts that look like books! But I agree; I don't want to dislike anything. I don't go in intending to dislike something, but it just so happens that I don't like some things that the games have.

It goes for the opposite too. I liked playing Eternal Sonata, for example. I like how it looks, the music, and how it plays on NG+. But I'm not going to go around everywhere on GAF saying that because the majority opinion of that game is the opposite.

I did/do the same thing, more so earlier on but it was actually only until late last month where I just decided to drop it as much. Being nice is one thing but being nice to people who aren't nice will drive you up the wall over time.

But either way, as long as there isn't spite among us then I mean we are really just stating our opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I do kinda like to discuss things with people who share those views as I've seen enough dislike for the things I like, but I don't mind it so much that people dislike. It's always nice to find others who share your interests.
That's what a lot of people tell me but for some reason I just can't get past trying to be nice to everyone, saving face, or trying to make everyone else happy. I dunno.

But yeah, that's why I like this thread; and SonicGAF in general. Even though some of us disagree with each other a lot, we're still pretty civil about it otherwise. And half the time we're just ribbing each other anyway!

Noi said:
Now that I'm done streaming, I may as well play mediator and tell you guys that everything's fine. The person in question likes TotA and Xenoblade a lot, so coming to the chat to see people she didn't know about saying they didn't like either game wasn't exactly uplifting. I'm pretty sure she and Schala would get along well, this little incident aside.

Some of my non-GAF friends have this rather annoying tendency to lump everything under "NeoGAF hates everything" (which is, ironically, the kind of mentality that the mods are trying to fix around here), which I've been trying to a least somewhat correct. It was, unfortunately, just a case of the wrong person witnessing the wrong conversation at the wrong time. She already told me to tell you guys that she probably shouldn't have reacted like she did anyway and doesn't hold any hard feelings, so you can stop PMing to ask for apologies Schala. :p (Hell, I told her right after how much time you've spent with Graces and she got less upset).
Oh, I'm sorry (I'm sorry for apologizing a lot; you're talking to a person who used to bump into tables and apologize to them when she was younger). Still, I feel bad even if it was a wrong place at the wrong time sort of thing. :/

Thanks for relaying the message, though. And thanks for hosting the stream! It was fun otherwise because... oh man that movie was... it was a thing.

I... still need to play my EU copy of Graces. I can already see myself cracking it open instead of finishing Xillia 2 first. -_-

Sorry! I... really didn't mean it that way, honest!

(Ehm... is there anything I can say here that won't dig myself deeper? -'.'-)
LOL, you sound like my bf does whenever I ask him a question that he thinks is a trap. You're fine. :p

Noi

It goes for the opposite too. I liked playing Eternal Sonata, for example. I like how it looks, the music, and how it plays on NG+. But I'm not going to go around everywhere on GAF saying that because the majority opinion of that game is the opposite.

First I hear of that! My own opinion of it is that the gameplay, music and art direction is great, yet it somehow manages to be incredibly dull all throughout. My farthest memory of it before I gave up was after the party is split up (again) and you end up at in an ice palace or something. Despite the combat being fun, everything else bored me so I never picked it up again.

Right, I need to get this FF6 entry done too. I took a nap yesterday and wasn't able to complete it. It's only 7 pages long, but I put the images in imgur already so the links are already in there. I just need to write up the text. Edit... which... would make it 13 pages by the end I think.

...where exactly do you put all of these?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the hell is this

I mean, it's from Heroes, ostensibly, but seriously

What
sorry, i don't have enough laughing smilies for this
KuGsj.gif

(Thank you; I really needed that.)

First I hear of that! My own opinion of it is that the gameplay, music and art direction is great, yet it somehow manages to be incredibly dull all throughout. My farthest memory of it before I gave up was after the party is split up (again) and you end up at in an ice palace or something. Despite the combat being fun, everything else bored me so I never picked it up again.
Last I checked, GAF really dislikes Eternal Sonata (ex: 1, 2, 3). I mean, I don't remember the narrative at all, despite playing it twice, but I thought the rest of it was fine. I liked playing it a lot, enough to at least get through it twice.

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
...where exactly do you put all of these?
I write them in Word first and then I post them in the GAF Plays: Final Fantasy Games thread.

...I know I spend too much time on them, but I like writing them.

nns3d

Guys, I can't bring myself to watching that fan movie, every single screencap I've seen is just absolutely cringeworthy.

tumblr_mgfxc5iq601qimttgo1_400.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Big asks, Cream burns.

Holy shit, this is amazing.
This stuff got cut? Aaaahahahahahaha!

I'm crying...

Ah, so it's just for that thread; I thought you did that with all the games you played.
Then I wouldn't be able to play that many games, now would I? :p

Like I said, I'd love to do one for Secret of the Stars one day, but there aren't that many LP-esque threads on GAF to get away with it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Guys, I can't bring myself to watching that fan movie, every single screencap I've seen is just absolutely cringeworthy.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/45d4689244550b6e58243d4c9f31b7d1/tumblr_mgfxc5iq601qimttgo1_400.jpg[IMG]

....[/QUOTE]
how did I not notice that...

I have to wonder what the general consensus about the movie is on the Internet.

Noi

The only reason I can think of for the lack of spikes on his gloves is that they're retractable like Wolverine's Claws.

Please let it just be something they overlooked.

how did I not notice that...

I have to wonder what the general consensus about the movie is on the Internet.

You were still reeling from the sudden shift of REAL LIFE FOREST to GREEN HILL ZONE.

qq more

-highfive-

Uh...erm...it's hard to really say since both games are really easy. Nightmare in Dreamland has all the new delicious powers and move abilities, though. UFO Kirby and Suplex Kirby gogogo.

UFO Kirby was already in the original game! No idea about Suplex Kirby though

I should give Nightmare in Dreamland a try someday. I think I've played it a little bit once, but that was way before I learned it was a remake of Adventure.

You were still reeling from the sudden shift of REAL LIFE FOREST to GREEN HILL ZONE.

I never never ever knew what's up with that. If... Green Hill Zone exists then why did they used a real forest? It's so confusing.

Emitan

Return to Dreamland might be better than Knightmare in Dreamland. I'm not sure. I'd say RtD is a bit better and is my favorite Kirby game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only reason I can think of for the lack of spikes on his gloves is that they're retractable like Wolverine's Claws.
Knuckles was clearly looking at his hands as if he were wondering what was wrong with him.

So jarring.

And Sonic was all like, "gotta go sloooooooowwwwwww"

Pretty sure the consensus is either "Never again." or "My god that was awful do more".
I'm checking around but it does seem like some people genuinely liked this... They really got a kick out of the cameos and Jaleel White. Also, the fact that it was a fan film gave it some leniency.

Like, I think it could have worked slightly better if Sonic's model were better, and if it weren't so evident that things were cut.

Kokonoe

Banned
UFO Kirby was already in the original game! No idea about Suplex Kirby though

I should give Nightmare in Dreamland a try someday. I think I've played it a little bit once, but that was way before I learned it was a remake of Adventure.

I never never ever knew what's up with that. If... Green Hill Zone exists then why did they used a real forest? It's so confusing.

They both are actually, but it's called Backdrop Kirby in those games for some reason. It's just in Nightmare in Dreamland you dash at them fast and it makes it a lot more fun.

Like you lunge before you give the suplex which is neato. It really is just a more polished version of the NES one and I like the graphics more too.

qq more

They both are actually, but it's called Backdrop Kirby in those games for some reason. It's just in Nightmare in Dreamland you dash at them fast and it makes it a lot more fun.

Like you lunge before you give the suplex which is neato.

Ohhh, sounds cool.

It really is just a more polished version of the NES one and I like the graphics more too.
For some reason, based on what I've seen, I sort of like the NES' visuals more. There's just something about it that I really like over the remake's. Might have to do with the level's visual design.

Nert

Oooh, is it almost finished?

You could write their song names/lyrics as links and insert them into your prose with some wit.

It's very close to being done, but work and life have of course gotten in the way at various points this week. We've known the winners since Monday, leaving formatting and composer research as the bulk of the work.

I could just add Sonic 4: Episode II and New Super Bros. Wii U to the archive and have the links secretly direct people to the American Idol videos, but the difference might be too subtle for people to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom