• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the opinion that there's no such thing as the perfect video game, but if there's one game that comes as close to perfection as possible, it's Super Metroid.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Been a while since I played through Sonic CD, so I gave the XBLA version a whirl. Still holds up. Not a huge fan of the time travel + robot machine gimmicks (too tedious for my liking), but at least it doesn't punish you for playing it like a "normal" Sonic game should you choose to do so. Closest to the Sonic 1 aesthetic out of any of the other sequels, both soundtracks rule, and the Special Stages are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite (after Chaotix and S3K).

Shame that the ending is so anti-climactic, but that's the only thing I really dislike.

BHZ Mayor

The only reason I can think of for the lack of spikes on his gloves is that they're retractable like Wolverine's Claws.

Please let it just be something they overlooked.

You were still reeling from the sudden shift of REAL LIFE FOREST to GREEN HILL ZONE.

They are there. They're just curved like claws for some reason.

Super metroid? best game.

The tool set Samus has in that game covers everything to go anywhere at any time (without door glitching) so you can play it in so many ways, there is no direct route you are forced down outside of maybe the first time you play.

Really, the only thing I think later Metroid games did better were the controls; wall-jumping is easier to pull off consistently, aiming diagonally is mapped to one button in a fairly logical setup, instead of two, and then there's the Power Grip, which... wouldn't really be necessary in any Metroid game, really, but being able to grab onto ledges is nice.

Quackula

1. I prefer Kirby's Adventure on NES over the GBA one. GBA one is a really solid remake though, save for the omission of the rotating butter building effect (why!?). I also don't like how they changed that quick draw minigame from being wild west to being samurai. GBA has playable Meta Knight though, which is something worth noting I guess.

GBA one also really did seem easier to me, but honestly it's been ages since I've played it.

2. I think I would've liked Super Star more if it was a more cohesive experience as opposed to the multiple "games" gimmick. Still my second favorite Kirby though and it's awesome.

3. I really want to pick up Return to Dream Land along with tons of other Wii games as I skipped the bulk of this past generation.

4. Super Metroid does rule. Metroid Fusion has its moments. Prime 1 is amazing, Prime 2 is good but not as good as Prime 1. Haven't really played much of Metroid 1, Zero Mission, or Metroid II so I can't really comment on them. Haven't played Prime 3 or Other M at all (though I've seen bits of Other M and really don't think I want to).

Quackula

Oh yeah and I don't really care for the updated graphics in the GBA one much either. The tilesets are way different looking and it gives some areas a different vibe. I would've been okay with it if it was done more like with SMAS and generally kept the same look and feel.

Super Metroid does rule. Metroid Fusion has its moments. Prime 1 is amazing, Prime 2 is good but not as good as Prime 1. Haven't really played much of Metroid 1, Zero Mission, or Metroid II so I can't really comment on them. Haven't played Prime 3 or Other M at all (though I've seen bits of Other M and really don't think I want to).
Zero Mission is better than Fusion, although I'm loathe to call it better than Super Metroid.

Metroid [1] is an interesting footnote in the history of the series, being the first one and all, but is so horribly dated in terms of mechanics that I find it hard to seriously recommend; most of the paths are really samey, you can't crouch or shoot downward at all meaning your only means of attacking low-lying enemies (read: most enemies) is Morph Ball bombs, your starting health is always 30 whenever you continue a game, energy tanks be damned... it hasn't aged well. Play Zero Mission instead; it gives you a copy of Metroid [1] if you need to see how it's held up.

Metroid 2 is actually a whole lot better. The paths are still kinda samey, but nowhere near the same extent. Also, you can crouch now (and shoot downward, I think?), which alone makes the game much more playable. Also remembers how much health you had when you save your game. It's pretty short, though, and IIRC very linear to boot, although there's enough of an exploration factor to make it entertaining.

I never beat Prime 3, and didn't touch Other M. I think I agree entirely with you on Prime and Prime 2. Didn't try Hunters, either, but I would've been into that for the single-player, which was apparently lackluster so it sounds like I didn't miss much. Was great to see when the DS was first announced at E3, though.

woah what you can play as Meta Knight in the remake?!

BRB BUYING GAME
Yup. He only has half the health of Kirby, though (actually, you have to play through the entire game as half-health Kirby before you can play as Meta-Knight, so you would be used to it by this point).

Pietepiet

Oh yeah and I don't really care for the updated graphics in the GBA one much either. The tilesets are way different looking and it gives some areas a different vibe. I would've been okay with it if it was done more like with SMAS and generally kept the same look and feel.

I'm assuming you mean Super Mario All-Stars? Because that really doesn't have the same look and feel to me. Super Mario 3 looks awful on that.
NES version 4 lyfe

Quackula

Metroid [1] is an interesting footnote in the history of the series, being the first one and all, but is so horribly dated in terms of mechanics that I find it hard to seriously recommend; most of the paths are really samey, you can't crouch or shoot downward at all meaning your only means of attacking low-lying enemies (read: most enemies) is Morph Ball bombs, your starting health is always 30 whenever you continue a game, energy tanks be damned... it hasn't aged well. Play Zero Mission instead; it gives you a copy of Metroid [1] if you need to see how it's held up.

I have a yellow-label copy of Metroid just sitting there on my shelf mostly unplayed. I've played about as much of Zero Mission as I have Metroid 1.

I don't really mind playing an 'aged' game, but I think I'll wait until I nab a copy of Zero Mission and just play through it that way.

Quackula

I'm assuming you mean Super Mario All-Stars? Because that really doesn't have the same look and feel to me. Super Mario 3 looks awful on that.
NES version 4 lyfe

Eh, I think it really depends on the level (wtf is up with the leafy background in world 8?)

I guess I'm just saying that SMAS SMB3 feels more like NES SMB3 to me than GBA Kirby feels like NES Kirby, ya know what I mean?

Pietepiet

Eh, I think it really depends on the level (wtf is up with the leafy background in world 8?)

I guess I'm just saying that SMAS SMB3 feels more like NES SMB3 to me than GBA Kirby feels like NES Kirby, ya know what I mean?

Yeah, I see what you mean. Can't say I agree, though, but I'm very fond of the GBA Kirby graphics.

Quackula

Could also be just plain sheer nostalgia talking from me though. I played the hell out of Kirby's Adventure on NES. I didn't even realize Nightmare in Dream Land was a remake of it when I borrowed it until I started playing and noticed that everything was the same. Kinda underwhelmed me because I was expecting something new.

With SMAS, I'd played SMB1 more on the NES, SMB2 more on SNES, and SMB3 about evenly on both.

Take a wild guess which ones I prefer visually...

Due to the fact that Kirby's Adventure occasionally runs like ass i'd give the nod to Nightmare in Dreamland, had a lot of fun playing that one in co-op, especially the boss rush.
Granted Adventure's frame rate drops and slowdown is probably just another more PAL related issue like the Mega Man series.

Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii is a must play for any Kirby fan, it's the top of the pile in pretty much every way (except music unfortunately) regarding the traditional Kirby series.

qq more

Due to the fact that Kirby's Adventure occasionally runs like ass i'd give the nod to Nightmare in Dreamland, had a lot of fun playing that one in co-op, especially the boss rush.
Granted Adventure's frame rate drops and slowdown is probably just another more PAL related issue like the Mega Man series.

Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii is a must play for any Kirby fan, it's the top of the pile in pretty much every way (except music unfortunately) regarding the traditional Kirby series.

Could always play that 3D Classics remake... don't recall any framerate issues there!

By the gods qq is right! but already owning NiD as well as KA on the VC it seems like a pointless expense.
Well perhaps one day Nintendo will discount it....AHAHAHAHAHA! that's hilarious!

Probably just £5 or something but that's still £5 I could spend on something I don't already own twice.
Now why did 3D Classics just vanish when the potential for greater games using 3D is still untapped?

So that... thing LeBron made is heavily based on SatAM?

Yeah, I don't want any Sonic movies taking place on Mobius vs. a Julian Kintobor, even if you try to shoehorn in South Island or G.U.N.. Screw that noise.

And it's a bad film even ignoring my pet peeves, from the sounds of things?

BHZ Mayor

So that... thing LeBron made is heavily based on SatAM?

Yeah, I don't want any Sonic movies taking place on Mobius vs. a Julian Kintobor, even if you try to shoehorn in South Island or G.U.N.. Screw that noise.

And it's a bad film even ignoring my pet peeves, from the sounds of things?

It's more like if Sonic Adventure 2 had the tone of SatAM, not really based on it. Other than being set in Mobius, the only thing it really has in common with the cartoons is Jaleel White.

If someone obliges my request on the BST thread (Or ebay is kind), I'm gonna try out Zero Mission. I tried Fusion but I didn't care much for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my goodness at Pietepiet's post. :|

It's very close to being done, but work and life have of course gotten in the way at various points this week. We've known the winners since Monday, leaving formatting and composer research as the bulk of the work.

I could just add Sonic 4: Episode II and New Super Bros. Wii U to the archive and have the links secretly direct people to the American Idol videos, but the difference might be too subtle for people to notice.
Do iiiiiiiiittttttt

Also, if you guys need help and stuff let me know.

You all need Super Metroid in your life. At least the cool people play it.
LOOK

YOU SEE

WE ACTUALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING

Super Metroid is one of those games that I'd categorize as perfect/near-perfect. And there aren't a lot of games that I'd give that honour to.

No one would disagree on Super Metroid though, if they dared to call it a bad game it'd be like demolishing their gaming opinion legitimacy in the eyes of all.
I'm sure even Professor "controversial" Beef digs some of that Super Metroid.

Noi

I'm not a big fan of Super Metroid (I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately) but even still I'd agree that Super Metroid is damn near flawless. There's only one or two annoyances that I'd bring up but I can't recall them cause it's been really long since I played it.

I do like Zero Mission a bit more though, if just because of how short and thus easily repayable it is.

Anth0ny

Super Metroid is one of those games that I'd categorize as perfect/near-perfect. And there aren't a lot of games that I'd give that honour to.

These aren't even necessarily my top games ever, but games I'd deem near perfect (no flaws):

-Majora's Mask
-Ocarina of Time
-Chrono Trigger
-Link to the Past

It's a very short list. I'm man enough to admit Melee, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon etc. have issues here and there (even though I prefer them)... but I honestly can't think of any flaws for the above four games. Haven't played Super Metroid yet, it's number 1 on my must play list.

qq more

These aren't even necessarily my top games ever, but games I'd deem near perfect (no flaws):

-Majora's Mask
-Ocarina of Time
-Chrono Trigger
-Link to the Past

It's a very short list. I'm man enough to admit Melee, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon etc. have issues here and there (even though I prefer them)... but I honestly can't think of any flaws for the above four games. Haven't played Super Metroid yet, it's number 1 on my must play list.

Man, I want a 3DS remake of that game ala OoT3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom