• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHZ Mayor

These aren't even necessarily my top games ever, but games I'd deem near perfect (no flaws):

-Majora's Mask
-Ocarina of Time
-Chrono Trigger
-Link to the Past

It's a very short list. I'm man enough to admit Melee, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon etc. have issues here and there (even though I prefer them)... but I honestly can't think of any flaws for the above four games. Haven't played Super Metroid yet, it's number 1 on my must play list.

Banjo-Kazooie is REEEAL close to that near-perfect point for me. One of, if not my number one, favorite games ever. If only the note count was saved after leaving a level.

BlackJace

why did nintendo have such an obsession with end game fetch quests during the gamecube era

hurt metroid prime and wind waker =(

It's my favorite game of all time for a reason. Hell, half the artifacts are able to be randomly run into during the normal progression.

How is this PS2 over-rated? It has one of the largest catalogues of any console with so many amazing games. How many consoles were home to classic new releases for 9 years?

Anth0ny

god tier ps2 games:

vice city
san andreas
mgs2
mgs3

god tier gamecube games:

melee
metroid prime
wind waker
REmake
RE4
pikmin
f-zero gx
paper mario 2

tsk

Okami
Persona 3/4
SMT3 Lucifer's Call
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
God Hand
Bully
Jak and Daxter
Sly Cooper
Ratchet and Clank 1/2
Yakuza 1/2
Tony Hawk 3
Final Fantasy XII

That's just off the top of my head.

Anth0ny

OVER RATED

Those games aren't god tier. They're high tier. Which I admit is an area PS2 probably beats GC. More good games, not great games.

Also, I'm talking exclusives (and I consider RE4 an exclusive cause the PS2 version is horseshit)

Other good Gamecube games:

Sunshine
Prime 2
Eternal Darkness
Soul Calibur 2 (best version)
Viewtiful Joe (best version)
Twilight Princess (best version)
Pikmin 2
Wave Race
Luigi's Mansion
DK Jungle Beat

fuck what a good console

"those games aren't god tier"

*mentions Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Prime 2, and DK freakin' Jungle Beat*

Ok, son

and PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe had Dante, hold dat shit

If we talking console exclusives, Xbox got the shortest stick that gen I think

Ninja Gaiden (Black)
Halo 1
Halo 2
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta
KOTOR
Chronicles of Riddick
Crimson Skies

I think that's it. It did usually get the best version of multi-platform games and I've lost SO many hours of my life to it's XBL play, but it is what it is.

All three systems had games that made them worth owning last gen but the fact is that the Xbox and GCN served best as companions to a PS2, and I say that as someone who got a 'cube at launch.

I probably played more hours in my GC/Xbox because of the multiplayer(SO many hours of Melee/Halo 2), but if I could only have one system and game library on a desert island, PS2 would probably be it(if we exclude PC/emulation and shit).

I find Nintendo consoles are always secondary now. Dat third party support be lackin, b. Back in the day, you could buy a SNES and be set. Awesome nintendo games + a shitload of third party exclusives. And not just Random Joe company, but Square(FF, Secret of Mana, CT, SMRPG, etc), Konami(Turtles in Time, Contra 3, SCV 4, Ganbare Goemon 1-4, Gradius III, etc), Capcom(MMX1-3, FF3, BoF2, Demon's Crest), you name it.

Now I'm surprised whenever a Wii U version gets announced for anything

Anth0ny

"those games aren't god tier"

*mentions Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Prime 2, and DK freakin' Jungle Beat*

Ok, son

and PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe had Dante, hold dat shit

good

good tier

not god tier

GOD

I probably played more hours in my GC/Xbox because of the multiplayer(SO many hours of Melee/Halo 2), but if I could only have one system and game library on a desert island, PS2 would probably be it(if we exclude PC/emulation and shit).

I find Nintendo consoles are always secondary now. Dat third party support be lackin, b. Back in the day, you could buy a SNES and be set. Awesome nintendo games + a shitload of third party exclusives. And not just Random Joe company, but Square(FF, Secret of Mana, CT, SMRPG, etc), Konami(Turtles in Time, Contra 3, SCV 4, Ganbare Goemon 1-4, Gradius III, etc), Capcom(MMX1-3, FF3, BoF2, Demon's Crest), you name it.

Now I'm surprised whenever a Wii U version gets announced for anything

NES and SNES were the complete package.

I feel N64 and GC lost the third party support (though people forget GC had some pretty good stuff from third parties, just overshadowed by the fucked up support PS2 was getting from everyone under the sun), but the first party support was so strong that the consoles were still able to stand on two feet. I'd rather have a GC and it's library on a desert island for that reason.

Wii, on the other hand... didn't do it for me at all. Not even the first party support was enough. 360 absolutely demolished it in every way this gen. Starting this gen, the Nintendo console became secondary.

It doesn't look like that will be changing with the Wii U. I wish they got back to that SNES mentality. Maybe next gen...

qq more

Neither console had a lot of 2D platformin so fuck them!

PS2 and Gamecube were great, although the Gamecube was a bit disappointing

The only reason I don't put Wind Waker over Majora's Mask is because WW is incomplete. I loved every single bit of WW otherwise. Never a dull moment. Majora > WW > Awakening.

Metroid was dead to me the moment it turned into an FPS. Played it, hated it, gave it back to my friend and told him to never mention it to me again.

I totally fucked up getting a Cube before a PS2. Still, at least Ubisoft had decent support for it. XIII, son.

Calling Prime an FPS means you've already lost the debate.

GameCube for cutest console ever

Also, at least they got off on the right foot lauching Melee a month after the launch, right in time for X-Mas. I'll never forget playing that first match on Corneia with my brother and two bots. I would randomly pause the action just to marvel at Fox's fur, or Bowser's model, much to the annoyance of my brother.

Wii U best game for me so far is a 2d platformer that looks like a higher-res version of the Wii counterpart(that didn't look all that good in the first place). It's good, but there's a sense that you done all this shit just the other day; it's a not a game I get excited about like Melee or Halo was.

I found I loved an equal number of PS2 and Gamecube games. And the Gamecube list is growing as of late.

I'm just not touching Prime since I hate FPS.

I feel N64 and GC lost the third party support (though people forget GC had some pretty good stuff from third parties, just overshadowed by the fucked up support PS2 was getting from everyone under the sun), but the first party support was so strong that the consoles were still able to stand on two feet. I'd rather have a GC and it's library on a desert island for that reason.

Wii, on the other hand... didn't do it for me at all. Not even the first party support was enough.

Nintendo's output on the Wii stomps all over their N64 and Gamecube efforts combined. The only argument to the contrary is Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (F-Zero GX, being a Sega joint, doesn't count).

Gamecube will always have a soft spot in my heart. From literally thousands of hours of Melee, to Wind Waker, and other great stuff, I've had tons of fun with it. My friends even chipped in one birthday and got me another Cube for me when my cousin's was stolen.

And of course DEF JAM: FIGHT FOR NEW YORK. I only wanted to play it because the concept of a fighting game with Def Jam of all labels seemed so "out there" (and because I never had a chance to play Vendetta. I popped it in, went through one of the best gotdamn CAW systems there is, and noticed that AKI had their hands in it, and I knew it was something that could never be topped.

Oh yeah, and Sonic games of course.

Anth0ny

Nintendo's output on the Wii stomps all over their N64 and Gamecube efforts combined. The only argument to the contrary is Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (F-Zero GX, being a Sega joint, doesn't count).

Galaxy 1 and 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sunshine
DKCR>Jungle Beat (both amazing games, Returns is slightly better with a classic controller)
Xenoblade

That's about all the Wii's got.

WW and TP>>>>TP and SS
Melee>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl
Prime 1 and 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prime 3 and Other M
F-Zero existed on Gamecube
Pikmin existed on Gamecube
Paper Mario 2>>>Super Paper Mario

Same deal with N64.

qq more

Galaxy 1 and 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sunshine
DKCR>Jungle Beat (both amazing games, Returns is slightly better with a classic controller)
Xenoblade

That's about all the Wii's got.

WW and TP>>>>TP and SS
Melee>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl
Prime 1 and 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prime 3 and Other M
F-Zero existed on Gamecube
Pikmin existed on Gamecube
Paper Mario 2>>>Super Paper Mario

Same deal with N64.
Brawl isn't a bad game but WHATEVER MAN

Also Wii had 2 Kirby platformers, Punch Out and RHYTHM HEAVEN

Kokonoe

Banned
I didn't talk about video games on the net or used the net much during that era so I had no idea the PS2 was leading in sales by such a substantial margin. It was like I was living in a different dimension cause everyone around me had Gamecubes and we were always talking about that and playing GC games.

But yeah, I definitely prefer Gamecube and it's my second favorite console ever.

If we talking console exclusives, Xbox got the shortest stick that gen I think

Ninja Gaiden (Black)
Halo 1
Halo 2
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta
KOTOR
Chronicles of Riddick
Crimson Skies

I think that's it. It did usually get the best version of multi-platform games and I've lost SO many hours of my life to it's XBL play, but it is what it is.
246px-JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

C'mon man

Also had the only console version of Morrowind, for what that's worth (probably not much, as a PC game), and was the only place to play Munch's Oddysee up until the Oddboxx, for what that's worth. I suppose Midtown Madness 3 falls under whatever category Morrowind falls under, but whatever, it was fun.

Quackula

why did nintendo have such an obsession with end game fetch quests during the gamecube era

hurt metroid prime and wind waker =(

The thing that bugs me about those is that the games feel perfectly nice, lengthy, and fleshed out even without them. Never did see the need.

Gamecube was the only console I had in that generation and I didn't get anything else until way later. I loved it, but man seeing my Ps2 and Xbox having friends get cool multiplats that the Gamecube didn't get at all was pretty shitty.

I think SS is better than TP.

Anth0ny

Brawl isn't a bad game but WHATEVER MAN

Also Wii had 2 Kirby platformers, Punch Out and RHYTHM HEAVEN

We lost F-Zero and Pikmin for Kirby and Punch Out >_>

Rhythm Heaven is fun for 5 hours, forgot about it. I wouldn't call it a great game by any means, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never had a Gamecube in that era, so I just played catch-up on the Wii.

<3 Backwards-compatibility

Metroid Prime is another one of those games right?
Atmospherically and replay-wise. My bf likes it more than I do, and he thinks it's near-flawless. I haven't played it enough times to make an accurate "it's perfect" judgement, tbh.

Quackula

I never had a Gamecube in that era, so I just played catch-up on the Wii.

<3 Backwards-compatibility

Playing Gamecube games on the Wii drives me nuts because I have to pick up the Wii remote, point at the Disc Channel on the screen, select START, then put it down and pick up the GC controller.

'course that's one of the reasons I still keep my GameCube. That and the Game Boy Player.

Kokonoe

Banned
Playing Gamecube games on the Wii drives me nuts because I have to pick up the Wii remote, point at the Disc Channel on the screen, select START, then put it down and pick up the GC controller.

'course that's one of the reasons I still keep my GameCube. That and the Game Boy Player.

AB

SO

LUTE

LY

What sucks even more is that the Classic Controller can navigate the menus with the analog stick so there really is no point to why they won't let you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom