• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

I found this pixel art app on my iPad, and I had a blast using it.
Here's my
shitty
first attempt at it.

I really didn't expect to prefer CV3 to SC4 or Rondo but when I actually got around to it earlier this year I was pleasantly surprised to find it become my favourite of the traditional CV style.
Sub weapons feel potent, jumps are deliberate, enemies don't tend to tank and break the flow and there's satisfying whip impact (something I always felt was missing in Rondo).

Still prefer Igavania style though, SotN and OoE are magnificent.

I found this pixel art app on my iPad, and I had a blast using it.
Here's my
shitty
first attempt at it.
Nothing's showing up man

I wonder if there's anyone who's favorite is Bloodlines?
I still need to finish that sometime. Actually have the cart, too, so I've got no excuse.

I don't really have a favorite Classicvania. I do enjoy them, but they all kinda mesh together into one giant brick wall of NES-style difficulty. I do like that Rondo has branching paths and lets you go back to find more of them, though.

qq more

moreads.png

is that silver in the first one? sort of looks like a fan character based on him

and why is sonic letting buzz bomber attack him?

and whats with the megaman characters?

...what the fuck is that above black armor zero in the last one?

Kokonoe

Banned
moreads.png

is that silver in the first one? sort of looks like a fan character based on him

Um...I always question why he wasn't in the Sonic games. Fans do what Segadon't.

-edit-

Misread

Looks like Falcon Armor X.

Emitan

Games that I personally consider near-flawless:

Kirby Super Star / Super Star Ultra
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

LETS BE FRIENDS!

Rondo is best Castlevania by far. Everything after it is not fun. SoN is the most overrated game ever.

Yes I'm shitting on a game with hyperbole because I am having an awful night and this is stress relief.

I am having too much fun seeing what works and what doesn't and how well it works

So far Mission Street seems to be the most Sonic-friendly shooting stage. Iron Gate has those nasty security doors you can't break down, Prison Lane has enemies Sonic can't reach. Hidden Base spawns you in the quicksand and immediately crashes the game, same for Sand Ocean. Eternal Engine mostly works but you can't get to the Goal Ring.

Using characters besides Sonic is where things get shaky. Knuckles/Rouge almost always seem to spawn under or outside of normal level geometry except in Radical Highway and Green Forest. Green Forest deserves special mention for apparently having Knuckles-specific invisible walls that block you from getting past the first area with the three GUN robots. Can't glide around them, nothin'.

Haven't tried getting the mechs anywhere, but Mechless Tails doesn't seem to play nice with Green Hill Zone, at least.

Sciz

I am having too much fun seeing what works and what doesn't and how well it works

From what I remember of doing similar things with SA1 a few years back, that game handled characters in levels they weren't supposed to be in pretty well, aside from some mechanical problems like Big not having a top speed high enough to get up steep ramps.

And using Metal Sonic to raise chao was just adorable.

I recall going into Emerald Coast as Knuckles and Tails, getting whisked to act 2, and winding up in the middle of an ocean with a single spring as the only thing I could physically land on without killing me.

Oddly, for one of those two, the level faded to black and bumped me back to the Adventure Stage. For the other, a new camera feature that let me zoom in/out was enabled (IIRC you held one of the triggers and pressed Y; I forget the exact controls), but only for that one stage (and it was far enough away from the proper level geometry as to be useless).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No one reads SonicGAF, right?! D:

-> I take issue with Persona 4:Golden's soundtrack being on there because it's almost clear that a lot of people who voted for it voted for both soundtracks (the 2008 one and the 2012 one) as opposed to the 2012 release consisting of 17 15 tracks. Nitpicky? Yeah, sure whatever. But I just... feel a little dirty with it being there because I know most people are voting for the in-game soundtrack as opposed to the disc.

I have another issue but I'm keeping that to myself, because it's more of a matter of: a) taste, and b) I'd be in the minority even in SonicGAF. Hahaha.

moreads.png

That's from another fan-made Sonic RPG on Newgrounds. I remember because I played and said the story was, well, you can guess how the story was.

...who makes these ads?

Someone had better make a Sonic RPG for SAGE in the coming years because I want one. :(

I wonder if there's anyone who's favorite is Bloodlines?
I haven't played that in so long.

It totally looks like the pumpkin's replaced Sonic's face.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Golden only has 17 songs? What in the world?
Sorry, it had 15.

I dunno where I got 17 from. Must've been thinking of something else. Even so, my criticism still stands. Did the people who voted for it vote for the new additions on the Golden soundtrack proper, or did they vote for the entire game's soundtrack? Because that's an issue for me.

That's why I didn't think voting for something like Mighty Switch Force's newer additions for Wii U should be allowed either. That's kind of why I knocked Sonic Generations' soundtrack off my list last year and put it in the Honourable Mentions instead: almost every track is remixed and it wouldn't be fair to the other ones. It's a tricky rule, but I... meh...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Length isn't necessarily a concern because stuff like Globulous and Dustforce have 15 and 18 tracks, respectively. My issue is that people were likely voting for the 2008 + 2012 soundtracks as opposed to just giving attention to the 2012 content on the P4:G soundtrack disc itself. That bothers me.

Sonic 4: Episode II's soundtrack has 30 tracks but no one really voted for it (looks like it got 1 honourable mention). I assume that the NSMB2 soundtrack is a little longer, but no one voted for it because it kind of sucks (though NSMBU did get votes).

Well, going by the spreadsheet... If P4:G is nixed, Guild Wars 2 would be pushed into that slot.

I can't say this shit in the soundtrack thread without sugarcoating it (which I did in a paragraph that no one's going to read), man. I feel more comfortable saying it here.

I swear to god Big's levels are one giant troll after another.

EDIT: 1900!? Are you fucking kidding me?
EDIT2: I spent 10 fucking minutes trying to catch this fish. 5 of those minutes were the fish pulling away to 25m. The other 5 were of me getting as close as 19m before I lost a life.

OMG Aero

-> I take issue with Persona 4:Golden's soundtrack being on there because it's almost clear that a lot of people who voted for it voted for both soundtracks (the 2008 one and the 2012 one) as opposed to the 2012 release consisting of 17 15 tracks. Nitpicky? Yeah, sure whatever. But I just... feel a little dirty with it being there because I know most people are voting for the in-game soundtrack as opposed to the disc.
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about games like P4G being considered in GOTY lists? Do you think they should only be considered based on the new content alone too?
That's kind of why I knocked Sonic Generations' soundtrack off my list last year and put it in the Honourable Mentions instead: almost every track is remixed and it wouldn't be fair to the other ones. It's a tricky rule, but I... meh...
I'd disagree that it being remixes should disqualify it. Nintendo games have some of the best soundtracks and most of them are just remixes. Now if main soundtrack was straight up the old songs again like the additional music you can unlock was then I'd agree.

Finally done catching that fucking fish. I only have 2 more emblems to get with Big and I'm done with his levels for good. That will be done at a later time though.

Does anyone know if you can do the infinite animal chao glitch on the PS3 version of SA1 DX? If so, can you link me to how to do it?

I can't speak for Schala, but Persona 4 Golden is completely undeserving of GOTY 2012. The base game is 4 years old. The only justification I've seen is "well I played it this year for first time". Great, I played Super Mario 3D Lsnd fof first time in 2012, that's my GOTY too! Wait, no it isn't, because that would be dumb as all hell.

There's other reasons why that whole thing irks me but I don't feel comfortable stating them publically, ahaha.

Noi

I.. really can't agree with either of ya regarding P4. Maaaaybe in the OST side. I know I can't make a great argument as for why they each deserve a placing, but clearly people felt strongly enough about the complete package that they felt it was warranted. People who played the Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls were allowed to vote for it as their GOTY 2012, so it's a bit unfair if one wasn't allowed to vote for Golden as it's essentially the same deal. If I felt that Golden was a better game than most of 2012's catalog, why should't I vote for it?

That said, I didn't vote for Golden in the OST thread for the same reasons Schala did, haha. I went into that vote only really thinking about the added content and not the 2008+2012 stuff together, even though I could have. I don't think you should have invalidated your Sonic Generations entry for that reason either. :X

I have another issue but I'm keeping that to myself, because it's more of a matter of: a) taste, and b) I'd be in the minority even in SonicGAF. Hahaha.

I totally missed it landing that high in the list, I must've glanced at it thinking it was arena, kinda crappy choice if it only has that few new tracks.
Wagering the other issue either relates to licensed soundtrack issues or maybe Uprising?

Prepare to Die getting votes is horseshit too. PC gamers, it's awesome you stuck it out and got your PC version a year later, but it's a 2011 game.

DLC of the year? Sure, why not.

Prepare to Die getting votes is horseshit too. PC gamers, it's awesome you stuck it out and got your PC version a year later, but it's a 2011 game.

DLC of the year? Sure, why not.
I don't see why they don't just all put it in the 2011 slot, it'd be an easy LTTP victory.
The few sightings of Alan Wake are probably the most puzzling of all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about games like P4G being considered in GOTY lists? Do you think they should only be considered based on the new content alone too?
The stance that the GotY thread takes is reasonable because you're evaluating whether or not the new content fits into the original content wholly and seamlessly. And P4:G kinda does that for some people, I guess.

For me, personally? I wouldn't vote for it, especially since I'd declared it my GotY 2008. If I put it on my 2012 list, then I wouldn't be giving games that came out in 2012 with completely new content a fair shake.

Remakes, on the other hand, are different, because they can and will introduce new mechanics that provide a substantial update to the game (ex: Final Fantasy IV DS--augments, higher difficulty, narrative expansion, ATB gauge additions, menu switch, etc.). I wouldn't put something like FF4 GBA/PSP on the top 10 portion, though. Ys Celceta would be another good example since it's a complete reimagining of the original Ys IV (but doesn't feel like Ys IV at all), it throws in a party system as opposed to using one character, some quests, etc.

Semi-related: I would never vote for a game that I had imported a few years ago or the year prior if it comes out in my local territory. So, because I'd put Tales of Graces f on a GotY list in 2010, I will not vote for it in 2012 despite playing it this year as well. The same would be true for a lot of other imports. So if Ys Celceta comes out in 2013, I won't vote for it because I'd played it in 2012 (even if I didn't throw it on a 2012 list). It just wouldn't be fair.

I'd disagree that it being remixes should disqualify it. Nintendo games have some of the best soundtracks and most of them are just remixes. Now if main soundtrack was straight up the old songs again like the additional music you can unlock was then I'd agree.
It would be disqualified from my Top 3 in terms of giving it points, but not from my honourable mentions, which I did end up putting it into. Again, it generally relates to overall fairness in terms of awarding original content or base compositional material I've heard before. If I had included it in my top 3 and gave it votes, I'm essentially rewarding tracks I already like in their arranged form. Persona 4: Arena's album kind of falls into this iffy territory too, and much like Sonic Generations, it had a few original BGMs on it.

When I evaluate soundtracks, I'm not listening to just how they work in the game or if I like them overall. I'm also listening to movements, composition, base arrangement for the tune in the studio, instrumentation, etc. So if I like an album for its composition now, and maybe... 6-7 years from now I'm hearing some album for a game that comprises wholly of arrangements of previous tunes from a game I've listened to or something, I can't exactly feel right putting it into my top slots for points for base composition or movements because I'd already done that 6-7 years prior. At best, I'll put it into an honourable mention category, and then write a ridiculous writeup for it because I like it that much.

Persona 4: Golden's OST is this disc. So you're evaluating those fifteen new tracks as opposed to the entire Persona 4 album. You're just evaluating the 2012 stuff, not the 2008+2012 stuff (which I suppose some people did upon reading their commentary--I read every single post in that thread, man).

It gets into a murky area in terms of seeing it as an arrangement album or as a completely new soundtrack, I guess. I see it as the former.

Wagering the other issue either relates to licensed soundtrack issues or maybe Uprising?
How did you know?

I don't mind remakes being nominated either. You have to know where the line is drawn, though. Just like Ocarina 3D wasn't a remake in 2011, P4G isn't a remake last year.

Spelunky is a good example of a remake released in 2012.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Err both or just one? aw shit it's 50/50 right here.
Kinda both, but I'm surprised you got the latter one correct.

I've gotten predictable.

I don't mind remakes being nominated either. You have to know where the line is drawn, though. Just like Ocarina 3D wasn't a remake in 2011, P4G isn't a remake last year.

Spelunky is a good example of a remake released in 2012.
Oh, OoT3D shouldn't count. For example, last year I stuck it in my HMs just because I didn't feel right throwing it into my Top 10.

Kinda both, but I'm surprised you got the latter one correct.

I've gotten predictable.

Your thoughts on Uprising in third are probably similar to mine for Journey in first, actually no way, at least I can say Uprising has some memorable variety /bitterness
I haven't played Sound Shapes, someone tell me if I should be grouchy that it ranked or does it get a Hotline Miami style pass for just being that suitable? I guess it may well do.

Also put OoT3D in the old HM spot back in 2011, it seems like the logical thing to do as a game from 98 is hardly representative of 2011's best.

Noi

Wait, what's wrong with Uprising? I haven't really listened to it cause I disliked the actual game, but this sounds like something interesting.

Again, it generally relates to overall fairness in terms of awarding original content or base compositional material I've heard before. If I had included it in my top 3 and gave it votes, I'm essentially rewarding tracks I already like in their arranged form. Persona 4: Arena's album kind of falls into this iffy territory too, and much like Sonic Generations, it had a few original BGMs on it.

When I evaluate soundtracks, I'm not listening to just how they work in the game or if I like them overall. I'm also listening to movements, composition, base arrangement for the tune in the studio, instrumentation, etc. So if I like an album for its composition now, and maybe... 6-7 years from now I'm hearing some album for a game that comprises wholly of arrangements of previous tunes from a game I've listened to or something, I can't exactly feel right putting it into my top slots for points for base composition or movements because I'd already done that 6-7 years prior. At best, I'll put it into an honourable mention category, and then write a ridiculous writeup for it because I like it that much.

I guess this is mostly where we differ! I appreciate well-done arranged tracks as much as I do original ones, so I can't really make any special distinction between them. More so if I end up liking the arrangement over it's original version. (I don't really see a problem with Arena either, as most of it's tracks are original and note arrangements. Only Spirited Girl [the only Meguro track, I think?] and Princess Amagi are particularly good though, hence why I didn't vote for it.)

Placement within games is also a criteria I value highly, as it can make or break a song for me. Part of the reason I love Asura's Wrath's OST is because of it's highly effective music placement, which makes me love it more than I would listening to it on it's own. The flipside to that I guess would be XIII-2, which while generally good, tends to re-use a ton of it's good tracks and bad ones, so it makes me think less of them even if the tracks in question are actually great.

I haven't played Sound Shapes, someone tell me if I should be grouchy that it ranked or does it get a Hotline Miami style pass for just being that suitable? I guess it may well do.

Sound Shapes is, to my knowledge, mostly original songs by known artists like Deadmau5, Beck and the Superbrothers dudes. I say to my knowledge because I don't follow either artist enough to know if they ARE original for the game.

Jeez, I'm glad I don't get involved with the GoTY threads. I really don't put much thought into deciding my personal game of the year aside from deciding on what I enjoyed playing the most. >.>

Wait, what's wrong with Uprising? I haven't really listened to it cause I disliked the actual game, but this sounds like something interesting.

I'm going to hazard a quick guess at some Uprising related soundtrack gripes, pulling together such a composer lineup should by all means equal an even stronger soundtrack than it has, also some of it can feel a bit too vanilla in its orchestrated angle perhaps lacking its own distinct flair at times.
Okay that's as far as I can complain, it was still my SotY for reasons I explained in the voting thread but odds are it was elevated by being my
game of the year by a sizeable margin

Noi

LETS BE FRIENDS!

Rondo is best Castlevania by far. Everything after it is not fun. SoN is the most overrated game ever.

Yes I'm shitting on a game with hyperbole because I am having an awful night and this is stress relief.

We can be friends!

At least until I start mentioning all the games I dislike. :X

moreads.png

That's Ultimate Armor X doing a Nova Strike... for some reason.

megaman_x_16_bit_ultimate_armor_nova_strike_by_darksamus993-d5citth.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I guess this is mostly where we differ! I appreciate well-done arranged tracks as much as I do original ones, so I can't really make any special distinction between them. More so if I end up liking the arrangement over it's original version. (I don't really see a problem with Arena either, as most of it's tracks are original and note arrangements. Only Spirited Girl [the only Meguro track, I think?] and Princess Amagi are particularly good though, hence why I didn't vote for it.)

Placement within games is also a criteria I value highly, as it can make or break a song for me. Part of the reason I love Asura's Wrath's OST is because of it's highly effective music placement, which makes me love it more than I would listening to it on it's own. The flipside to that I guess would be XIII-2, which while generally good, tends to re-use a ton of it's good tracks and bad ones, so it makes me think less of them even if the tracks in question are actually great.
That the issue you kind of run into with looking over soundtracks, though. 5/8 of my honourable mention soundtracks come from games I've never played. Even the cut honourable mentions (yeah, I had more but I had to trim my post down a lot) included games I'd never played. So, I can't exactly put a face to a voice for most of those, you know what I mean? The only way I can evaluate them is by listening to them from a musical perspective (and I try to keep music theory out of it so I stick to vague descriptions of instruments used).

There was actually a case where I rewarded placement in the game, and that was Skyward Sword's soundtrack because I loved what the game did for it in terms of audio direction and soundtrack dynamism. But that wasn't the only thing I liked about the soundtrack, as I thought the compositions were beautiful enough whenever I listened to them on their own.

So... sometimes context matters and other times it doesn't. Most of the time it doesn't because I'm listening to a lot of stuff from games I haven't even played (but my top 3 generally consists of soundtracks from games I've played, I've noticed; the only time that didn't happen was in 2010 when I fit Xenoblade into my Top 3--not on GAF).

As a reference:
2010: Nier, Sonic Colours, Xenoblade
2011: Skyward Sword, El Shaddai, Rayman Origins
2012: Nayuta no Kiseki, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Dustforce

Your thoughts on Uprising in third are probably similar to mine for Journey in first, actually no way, at least I can say Uprising has some memorable variety /bitterness
Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. I think I have to listen to the Journey soundtrack again out of context because... uh... I can't remember a lot of it. :x

I know for a fact that Beck composed his songs for Sound Shapes so they're definitely original content. I can't say the same for Deadmau5 because I have noooo cluuuuue about his stuff. So, no, don't be grouchy about it. You'll notice in the "Soundtrack that I wish I could vote for" category I made up, I just mentioned DJMAX Technika Tune, Hotline Miami, and Lumines Electronic Symphony. I would've put Sound Shapes there if it had been wholly licensed and it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I'm going to hazard a quick guess at some Uprising related soundtrack gripes, pulling together such a composer lineup should by all means equal an even stronger soundtrack than it has, also some of it can feel a bit too vanilla in its orchestrated angle perhaps lacking its own distinct flair at times.
Okay that's as far as I can complain, it was still my SotY for reasons I explained in the voting thread but odds are it was elevated by being my
game of the year by a sizeable margin
SPOILERS, man.

That's even more accurate! Especially since a few of those composers worked on better stuff this year. But I'm in the minority obviously. New listeners might love it a lot.

That's Ultimate Armor X doing a Nova Strike... for some reason.

megaman_x_16_bit_ultimate_armor_nova_strike_by_darksamus993-d5citth.gif
They're running somewhere. That's... that's supposed to be a 'run animation'.

Noi

That the issue you kind of run into with looking over soundtracks, though. 5/8 of my honourable mention soundtracks come from games I've never played. Even the cut honourable mentions (yeah, I had more but I had to trim my post down a lot) included games I'd never played. So, I can't exactly put a face to a voice for most of those, you know what I mean? The only way I can evaluate them is by listening to them from a musical perspective (and I try to keep music theory out of it so I stick to vague descriptions of instruments used).

There was actually a case where I rewarded placement in the game, and that was Skyward Sword's soundtrack because I loved what the game did for it in terms of audio direction and soundtrack dynamism. But that wasn't the only thing I liked about the soundtrack, as I thought the compositions were beautiful enough whenever I listened to them on their own.

So... sometimes context matters and other times it doesn't. Most of the time it doesn't because I'm listening to a lot of stuff from games I haven't even played (but my top 3 generally consists of soundtracks from games I've played, I've noticed; the only time that didn't happen was in 2010 when I fit Xenoblade into my Top 3--not on GAF).

As a reference:
2010: Nier, Sonic Colours, Xenoblade
2011: Skyward Sword, El Shaddai, Rayman Origins
2012: Nayuta no Kiseki, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Dustforce

And you know what, what's fine! Me, I don't go out of my way to listen to OSTs to games I have no interest in, so there's probably a lot of good stuff out there that I haven't listened to, but I'm in no particular hurry. But I'm ok with your voting criteria as well, cause it'd be pretty boring if everyone judged everything the same way. I'm mostly just iffy about limiting someone's options when voting time comes around.

I felt like DJMax would be kinda cheating as well, haha. I was tempted, but I figured I'd put it aside for the same reason, even though it's actually my first time listening to ANY of the songs in it's OST and I really love a few of them.

They're running somewhere. That's... that's supposed to be a 'run animation'.

...To be completely fair, using Nova Strike was my main method of transportation whenever I used Ultimate Armor X too.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom