• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. I think I have to listen to the Journey soundtrack again out of context because... uh... I can't remember a lot of it. :x
It doesn't help much when the same two examples were brought up over and over for its song representation.

I know for a fact that Beck composed his songs for Sound Shapes so they're definitely original content. I can't say the same for Deadmau5 because I have noooo cluuuuue about his stuff. So, no, don't be grouchy about it. You'll notice in the "Soundtrack that I wish I could vote for" category I made up, I just mentioned DJMAX Technika Tune, Hotline Miami, and Lumines Electronic Symphony. I would've put Sound Shapes there if it had been wholly licensed and it doesn't seem like that's the case.
WELL ALRIGHTY THEN! sounds good enough for me.

SPOILERS, man.

That's even more accurate! Especially since a few of those composers worked on better stuff this year. But I'm in the minority obviously. New listeners might love it a lot.

The ultimate spoiler, but hey there's still 9 more unknown entities though! stay tuned because i'm close to finishing that list.

It wasn't really until long after I finished the Uprising that I actually took a step back and noticed that the composer lineup was full of some pretty big names by which point I was already happily humming away many of the tunes so it didn't really effect me that much, I like to think that how well they all managed to get their styles to mesh is worth some credit in this case but maybe that's more of an issue for you that they all don't have a unique flair to their tracks bar the odd outlier. Listening to your FF13-2 write up was like the other side of this coin, they were jumping around all over the place dipping into varying styles, some of which I have trouble picturing just popping up in the game because they seemed that "out there", not a bad angle either but from that choice I think I may have deduced something about how you might think Uprising could've genre hopped a lot more than it did with the talent it had but ultimately a more consistent angle is probably what Sakurai had in mind...or something.

OMG Aero

Jeez, I'm glad I don't get involved with the GoTY threads. I really don't put much thought into deciding my personal game of the year aside from deciding on what I enjoyed playing the most. >.>
Haha, I can't even do that. I thought about what my goty was after seeing the thread, couldn't remember what games I had even played this year and then gave up.

Although maybe that's just because 2012 was a year where there wasn't really one best game and you could make justified cases for over five of them, unlike 2011 which had just one game that could be considered the best.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We're terrible Sonic fans because we didn't give Sonic 4 it's proper due in the soundtrack thread.

Sky Fortress Act 2
Death Egg Mk II
Sylvania Castle Act 3

Or something. Better than Episode 1's.

And you know what, that's fine! Me, I don't go out of my way to listen to OSTs to games I have no interest in, so there's probably a lot of good stuff out there that I haven't listened to, but I'm in no particular hurry. But I'm ok with your voting criteria as well, cause it'd be pretty boring if everyone judged everything the same way. I'm mostly just iffy about limiting someone's options when voting time comes around.

I felt like DJMax would be kinda cheating as well, haha. I was tempted, but I figured I'd put it aside for the same reason, even though it's actually my first time listening to ANY of the songs in it's OST and I really love a few of them.
DJMAX's one failing is not having Kara's Wanna on there. It's soooo catchy and it would've worked somehow when playing the game.

Well, this just stemmed from the survey mostly. And the inclusion of that soundtrack in the top 15. I just didn't want to say it in the thread proper because Gaming side is scary.

...To be completely fair, using Nova Strike was my main method of transportation whenever I used Ultimate Armor X too.
KuGsj.gif
At least the fan-creator was smart enough to include that. I don't think people didn't do that. :lol

Everyone on the Sonic side should've just went super saiyan or boosted. It's a fan-made RPG, so why not! See, fans were thinking of Sonic and Mega Man being in the same story for a while now. And only now they decided to capitalize on it with Evil Friends Forever. :D

It doesn't help much when the same two examples were brought up over and over for its song representation.
Oh yeah, that totally didn't help in the slightest. :lol

I feel like that soundtrack works better within context, though. It was good stuff when I was playing the game for that one moment that moved me to tears, but I can't even remember much of it outside of the instruments swelling and climaxing.

The ultimate spoiler, but hey there's still 9 more unknown entities though! stay tuned because i'm close to finishing that list.

It wasn't really until long after I finished the Uprising that I actually took a step back and noticed that the composer lineup was full of some pretty big names by which point I was already happily humming away many of the tunes so it didn't really effect me that much, I like to think that how well they all managed to get their styles to mesh is worth some credit in this case but maybe that's more of an issue for you that they all don't have a unique flair to their tracks bar the odd outlier. Listening to your FF13-2 write up was like the other side of this coin, they were jumping around all over the place dipping into varying styles, some of which I have trouble picturing just popping up in the game because they seemed that "out there", not a bad angle either but from that choice I think I may have deduced something about how you might think Uprising could've genre hopped a lot more than it did with the talent it had but ultimately a more consistent angle is probably what Sakurai had in mind...or something.
...you just want me to write a list in the GotY thread just because. :p

Well, yeah, in my case it was different because I'd known the list of composers prior to playing the game (which... ended up making me buy the game at the last minute). What I like a lot is a variety of genres in one soundtrack. As more and more soundtracks start doing that, it's something I've just gotten used to and I guess I've come to expect it.

Considering that all of the composers on that soundtrack have a certain genre and style they adhere to, I expected more of a variety of sounds that could cohesively fit together much like Sonic's recent soundtracks do (Unleashed is a good example of this; Colours is a good example of this as well). But that didn't really happen and it kind of bothers me (and I know why; Sakuraba worked on most of the soundtrack it seems, so you're mostly listening to his stuff as opposed to everyone else's). It also doesn't help some of these guys worked on other soundtracks that I liked much better (ex: Sakuraba: Beyond the Labyrinth/Xillia 2; Koshiro: Wangan Midnight; Masafumi Takada: Super Danganronpa 2).

Meh. It just came off as a disappointment because I expected so much more in terms of genre diversity with cohesiveness as opposed to 1-3 genres with cohesiveness.

I loved Ghost Trick, but Adam Jensen snook up behind 2011 and punched it in the face for me. No contest.

If not for those boss fights, Human Revolution would have been my pick, no question.

2011 in general was a great year for gaming. Kinda sad that 2012 was so disappointing for me in comparison.

2011 had so much good shit packed into it, I'm not surprised 2012 got left out in the cold.

Ah well, this year looms surprisingly exciting. Year of the 3DS!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll play Ghost Trick after I beat Radiant Historia.
Oooh, how're you liking it?

2011 in general was a great year for gaming. Kinda sad that 2012 was so disappointing for me in comparison.
Definitely. 2011 was awesome. Lotsa platformers, lotsa RPGs, lotsa other genres, etc. So many fun games from a diverse array of genres and series. And we got a few Sonic games out of 2011.

2012 was... boring and disappointing. Looking at a list I have scrawled up just in case I feel like posting in the GotY thread, there isn't a clear-cut winner at all (plus I don't really like the selection and lack of variety on my list). I mean, look at all these anniversaries we had this year, and barely any of them got celebrated like Zelda and Sonic did last year with commemorative games (too bad Metroid didn't get celebrated that year ;-;). Boo.

It still bugs me out that Sonic had one of the best franchise anniversaries in recent memory. Generations was a huge labor of love of Sega's part, Sonic CD finally got a decent console port, and even stuff like Sonic 1 & 2 getting a commemorative OST release complete with Nakamura's demo tapes. (Which I honestly thought would never, ever happen) Even crazier when you keep in mind that Sonic probably had one of the worst anniversaries, too.

Hell, most other anniversaries in recent memory seem kinda lazy in comparison. I don't follow the Zelda series much, but from what I saw, that got a decent celebration. Final Fantasy got an overpriced boxset and a concert series. Kingdom Hearts got a logo. Mario got a re-release of a nearly two decade old remake compilation (And not even the best version!). And I'm not even sure Nintendo acknowledged Metroid's anniversary.

Noi

Well I had a good 2012, screw ya'll. :<

2013 predictions!

My GOTY list of 2013 so far:

1. EDF 2017 Portable
2. Anarchy Reigns

What I expect it to be by the end of the year:

x. EDF 2017 Portable
x. Anarchy Reigns
x. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
x. God of War Ascension
x. Dragon's Crown
x. Rune Factory 4
x. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
x. Insert surprise unannoucned games here
Worst game of 2013 - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

...I may or may not be being overly harsh on that last one.

I have hope that FUSE will turn out okay because it's Insomniac and even if they are focus testing the shit out of that game it'll still end up alright

The problem is I don't know if anyone but me will care

qq more

That's from another fan-made Sonic RPG on Newgrounds. I remember because I played and said the story was, well, you can guess how the story was.

...who makes these ads?

Someone had better make a Sonic RPG for SAGE in the coming years because I want one. :( .
I always want to see a really well done awesome Sonic RPG but... it looks like such a difficult task. Turn-based doesn't exactly fit with Sonic and most people would rather write really bad storylines that does one of the following:

1) Takes itself too serious
2) Writes it like a real bad fanfic (like including shitty fan characters)
3) Adds unnecessary crossovers (I mean I like the idea of a Mega Man and Sonic crossover... but with the way fans do it is sooooo tacted on and lame)

And then there's the issue of people pretending it's a Final Fantasy game (one of the SAGE games last year had soooo much FF sound effects, it was ridiculous). Oh and it annoys me when people use generic RPG Maker tilesets. It's like no one wants to take advantage of Sonic's universe and instead just wants to make an RPG with Sonic slapped onto it.

Someone should take notes from Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi in terms of presentation and whatnot. Those games respects Mario's universe and makes something interesting out of it.

Fuse looks like that game you rent for a weekend, have some fun with your friends, and five years later it'll be a trivia question

"Name that brown co-op shooter that came out in March 2013!"

"Uh...Army of Two!?"

*BUZZER*

"Gears of War: Judgement!?"

*BUZZER*

"Oh, I'm sorry, we were looking for 'Fuse'. 'Fuse' was the answer..."

BHZ Mayor

I have hope that FUSE will turn out okay because it's Insomniac and even if they are focus testing the shit out of that game it'll still end up alright

The problem is I don't know if anyone but me will care

No it's gonna suck because Insomniac is bad and you should feel bad because Resistance 2. None of their other output matters because Resistance 2 was the worst thing in the history of ever.

They made All 4 One? Always thought some Sony b-team handled that one.

Speaking of Insomniac, I just finished Spyro 3. The furry romance levels are off the charts. :(

All I've played was the demo for that latest MOBA Ratchet....

I think they should've stopped at Crack in Time >_>

That was the best Ratchet not named Up Your Arsenal, and I don't know what else they can do with the formula at this point

Although maybe that's just because 2012 was a year where there wasn't really one best game and you could make justified cases for over five of them, unlike 2011 which had just one game that could be considered the best.
My 2011 GotY as well, high five!

At least Soundtrack of the Year 2013 will be easy.

...Fire Emblem Awakening does have "Together We Ride" in it, right?
I'm not sure that it does but by gum am I hyped for that game, currently my most anticipated 2013 release.
Will spend the next few months pissing and moaning about having to wait until April for no real reason.

We're terrible Sonic fans because we didn't give Sonic 4 it's proper due in the soundtrack thread.

Sky Fortress Act 2
Death Egg Mk II
Sylvania Castle Act 3

Or something. Better than Episode 1's.
Honestly its themes aren't too bad, they're just not that great either.

...you just want me to write a list in the GotY thread just because. :p

Well, yeah, in my case it was different because I'd known the list of composers prior to playing the game (which... ended up making me buy the game at the last minute). What I like a lot is a variety of genres in one soundtrack. As more and more soundtracks start doing that, it's something I've just gotten used to and I guess I've come to expect it.

Considering that all of the composers on that soundtrack have a certain genre and style they adhere to, I expected more of a variety of sounds that could cohesively fit together much like Sonic's recent soundtracks do (Unleashed is a good example of this; Colours is a good example of this as well). But that didn't really happen and it kind of bothers me (and I know why; Sakuraba worked on most of the soundtrack it seems, so you're mostly listening to his stuff as opposed to everyone else's). It also doesn't help some of these guys worked on other soundtracks that I liked much better (ex: Sakuraba: Beyond the Labyrinth/Xillia 2; Koshiro: Wangan Midnight; Masafumi Takada: Super Danganronpa 2).

Meh. It just came off as a disappointment because I expected so much more in terms of genre diversity with cohesiveness as opposed to 1-3 genres with cohesiveness.
No need to go any further, I just needed to see how far my predicting skills could go to match your judgement, i'd say it went pretty well.
I can respect this reasoning, though once again it's a bunch of those crazy made up games i've never heard of towards the end there.

Pietepiet

Well, at least the History of Sonic book agrees with me on Advance 2:

Ultimately, Sonic Advance 2 was undoubtedly one of the best games in the series, thanks to superb 2D animation and impressive speed, which had been improved from the previous title.

http://i.imgur.com/bciis.gif[/IG]

I told you months ago to not do it but you've gone and suffered anyway, such foolishness![/QUOTE]

STUFF IT, OWL

I only have one more emblem left for Big's section, and then I never have to play as big again. The madness will soon be over!

Side note: for the B emblem, I caught a fish that weighed 1950. If I was shooting for the A level, I would've been furious.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oooh, how're you liking it?

It's a good game, surprised I found something that appealed to me lately, just what I needed. I normally have a massive petpeeve with time altering/dimensions storylines and can't stand them at all, but this is done in the right way where it doesn't bother me. The gameplay is like oldstyle FF but you can do combos and it really is fun for me to do that. I also like how unlike FF, you can choose which of your team members go in which order so no to White Mage healing dead party members and etc.

Game just for Koko.

Tesseract

Banned
all right sonic fans, you win, sonic generations is great. i still hate you though, best not make eye contact with each other in public. :0

i hate you.

Pfftt, that's small fry compared to some of the stuff I'd have to do if I replayed certain games.

Good grief...is there any end to Super Metroid? Seems like I'm finding stuff EVERYWHERE

qq more

all right sonic fans, you win, sonic generations is great. i still hate you though, best not make eye contact with each other in public. :0

i hate you.

Great, now play Colors. It's just as good.

AVOID SONIC 4

Ghost Trick is one of my top 5 favorite DS games. It's seriously amazing! One of the few games where I got sad when it ended because I want more :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I had a good 2012, screw ya'll. :<

2013 predictions!

Worst game of 2013 - Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
You already know that I think the game is going to be more boring than Final Fantasy XIII-2. You already know that I have very little faith that this game is going to be good.

At least the soundtrack's going to be good?

(Do you see how this mirrors how Sonic used to be yet?)

It still bugs me out that Sonic had one of the best franchise anniversaries in recent memory. Generations was a huge labor of love of Sega's part, Sonic CD finally got a decent console port, and even stuff like Sonic 1 & 2 getting a commemorative OST release complete with Nakamura's demo tapes. (Which I honestly thought would never, ever happen) Even crazier when you keep in mind that Sonic probably had one of the worst anniversaries, too.

And I'm not even sure Nintendo acknowledged Metroid's anniversary.
Nintendo doesn't remember what Metroid is.

Actually, it's really interesting to see how far Sonic's come since this generation's started. A shitty 15th anniversary to a 20th anniversary blowout. It's like they're taking the right medication now.

And then there's the issue of people pretending it's a Final Fantasy game (one of the SAGE games last year had soooo much FF sound effects, it was ridiculous). Oh and it annoys me when people use generic RPG Maker tilesets. It's like no one wants to take advantage of Sonic's universe and instead just wants to make an RPG with Sonic slapped onto it.

Someone should take notes from Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi in terms of presentation and whatnot. Those games respects Mario's universe and makes something interesting out of it.
Well, that's what I was thinking of. I don't think super srs is a good way to go for Sonic at all, and I'd much prefer something along the lines of Mario & Luigi. I'm just surprised Sega didn't even bother to do something like that even though they have a few RPG developers at their disposal.

Do you know how long I've wanted a Sonic RPG? And then I got Chronicles, gave it a bit of an easy pass, and just wanted something better? It's disappointing that we don't have one of those yet.

The closest game to a Sonic RPG in the series proper is Unleashed. And I love Unleashed.

It's a good game, surprised I found something that appealed to me lately, just what I needed. I normally have a massive petpeeve with time altering/dimensions storylines and can't stand them at all, but this is done in the right way where it doesn't bother me. The gameplay is like oldstyle FF but you can do combos and it really is fun for me to do that. I also like how unlike FF, you can choose which of your team members go in which order so no to White Mage healing dead party members and etc.

Game just for Koko.
Really? I love time travel and dimensional alterations in video game narratives as long as they're handled nicely, so that's part of the reason why I liked it. It also reminded me a lot of Suikoden, Legend of Mana, and Final Fantasy 6 (the town at the beginning, mostly).

I also liked the combo system and having to switch turns for my party members (with a penalty to keep it balanced). Glad to hear you're having fun with it!

i hate you.
You hate me?! ;___;

We're probably some of the saner Sonic fans on the Internet. :(

Nert

I almost forgot for a second that Sonic GAF can be like a parallel soundtrack of the year thread! Catching up with some things...

Length isn't necessarily a concern because stuff like Globulous and Dustforce have 15 and 18 tracks, respectively. My issue is that people were likely voting for the 2008 + 2012 soundtracks as opposed to just giving attention to the 2012 content on the P4:G soundtrack disc itself. That bothers me.

Well, going by the spreadsheet... If P4:G is nixed, Guild Wars 2 would be pushed into that slot.

I can't say this shit in the soundtrack thread without sugarcoating it (which I did in a paragraph that no one's going to read), man. I feel more comfortable saying it here.

I wouldn't mind this type of conversation being in the results thread at all. In fact, now is the perfect time for it to take place (hashing this stuff out while people are still voting, like the licensed soundtrack debate, is different, because it creates a lot of confusion). The only type of negativity that I would be against in that thread is "your taste in music sucks and you suck!!!!!", but this website's terms of service already prevent most of that from happening.

I don't mind remakes being nominated either. You have to know where the line is drawn, though. Just like Ocarina 3D wasn't a remake in 2011, P4G isn't a remake last year.

Spelunky is a good example of a remake released in 2012.

I like to give voters as much discretion as possible in terms of the personal criteria they use to frame their votes. If they feel that the music has changed significantly enough in its remixed version, then that's their call. I think that the remixes present in Nintendo Land are clearly different enough to be worth discussing, for example.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about Persona 4 Golden, however, is that I don't think that the people who voted for it are actually honoring the new material. Instead, they're honoring the unaltered songs from 2008. Yes, those are good songs, but I think that people have already given Meguro credit for them.

Your thoughts on Uprising in third are probably similar to mine for Journey in first, actually no way, at least I can say Uprising has some memorable variety /bitterness
I haven't played Sound Shapes, someone tell me if I should be grouchy that it ranked or does it get a Hotline Miami style pass for just being that suitable? I guess it may well do.

Also put OoT3D in the old HM spot back in 2011, it seems like the logical thing to do as a game from 98 is hardly representative of 2011's best.

As others have mentioned, the music that Beck and others created for Sound Shapes are original works. Hotline Miami also has a significant chunk of original material in addition to the licensed portions.

I didn't vote for Journey myself, but I listed it as an honorable mention and I would say that it has a little more variety than you are giving it credit for. The album certainly has a consistent sound to it, but it also as an emotional arc that mirrors the narrative and captures plenty of distinct moods.

I'm really starting to think that we need to put together a general "game music" topic after the soundtrack of the year thread dies down to discuss some of this stuff.

Ghost Trick is fucking awesome. It would have been my 2012's 2011 game of the year if I hadn't sunk over a hundred hours into The Binding of Isaac a few months ago.

qq more

It might be just me but I never cared for Binding Isaac mainly because it looks so ugly. Can't stand the art style for some reason.

I heard the game was good though, so...

Nert

It might be just me but I never cared for Binding Isaac mainly because it looks so ugly. Can't stand the art style for some reason.

I heard the game was good though, so...

Well, they're going to be changing the art style for the game's upcoming releases on other platforms, so hopefully that will help you out a little. I don't think that the current style is great, but it can be charming at times and it gives some of the enemies a lot of personality.

The game is really, really good though. It distills the Zelda dungeon formula down to its essence and every playthrough feels surprisingly unique. I also love how difficult it can be, because it really forces you to pay attention to your surroundings and come up with creative ways to use the items you end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom