• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hate fighting metal sonic.
In which game?

Sonic 4?

Do you know what's not that good, you guys? Episode Metal.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed PRE-ORDERED
You might not regret it. It's more of a celebration of Sega, but it's missing some Sega stuff at the same time.

I wouldn't mind this type of conversation being in the results thread at all. In fact, now is the perfect time for it to take place (hashing this stuff out while people are still voting, like the licensed soundtrack debate, is different, because it creates a lot of confusion). The only type of negativity that I would be against in that thread is "your taste in music sucks and you suck!!!!!", but this website's terms of service already prevent most of that from happening.
But then PersonaGAF will destroy me if I bring that sort of thing up. What do you think of the licensed soundtrack debate?

Thinking about it from the Sonic angle, if we were to vote on Sonic CD's OST today or Sonic 3's soundtrack today, wouldn't it be a little iffy because some of the tracks sample real music (for some people, not me)? In that case, I wouldn't care because it's such a small part of the music, and it's not the driving force of it. Like I said in the thread, licensed soundtracks like THPS/Crazy Taxi/DJMAX might be weird. But Hotline Miami seems okay to me.

I like to give voters as much discretion as possible in terms of the personal criteria they use to frame their votes. If they feel that the music has changed significantly enough in its remixed version, then that's their call. I think that the remixes present in Nintendo Land are clearly different enough to be worth discussing, for example.

The thing that rubs me the wrong way about Persona 4 Golden, in however, is that I don't think that the people who voted for it are actually honoring the new material. Instead, they're honoring the unaltered songs from 2008. Yes, those are good songs, but I think that people have already given Meguro credit for them.
That's what I think as well, and I'm not really taking too kindly to that. Well, next year you'll know, right? I think this year brought on a bunch of stuff we didn't know was going to happen.

With regards to the remix thing, that's up to the voter's own discretion, really.

I'm really starting to think that we need to put together a general "game music" topic after the soundtrack of the year thread dies down to discuss some of this stuff.
I thought this was the #masterplan a few months ago until people got busy. I personally would like a place to discuss stuff I'm listening to, whether it's new or something I'm late to the party with.

Any metal Sonic in the SEGA Geneisis ones.

And is Fighters any good. I consider myself a Sonic fan, but, I've never heard of it.
I wasn't a huge fan. I mean, I kinda like it, but couldn't understand the mechanics very well. (Probably because I was playing on a Japanese Gems Collection, which the AM2 collection wouldn't be, but still.)

qq more

Episode Metal is pure fucking shit. I would say that is DEFINITELY the worst thing Dimps has ever made. 4 acts and only one was bearable. The rest was lazy with the difficulty. "Let's spam enemy, spikes and pit placements without thinking!" GREAT ONE, ASSHOLES.

Oh and what's with the annoying cutscenes with Metal Sonic getting powered up but only to still play exactly like Sonic? Such a damn shame because Metal Sonic is like my 2nd favorite character and his only game is this lazy crap.

The controls were always pretty bleh, as I recall. They get a lot better when you start using the trigger buttons to make sharper turns, but woe be unto you if you need to turn around 180°, because you'll do so soooo slooooowlyyyyy...

Level design was nifty, even if the open-ended nature of most of the paths meant that one path was pretty obviously better than others.

And the characters... did they even TRY to balance them?

I still had fun with it, though.

I remember past friend of mine told me come over and play Sonic R, shit is better than CTR

Nigga....

IISFs.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll explain why I don't like time travel, alternate dimensions, and altering time stuff when I'm not so lazy.

Koko sad.

Edit: Oh wait, you meant the Sonic 4 Episode Metal thing. Mistook it for Metal Madness!

Yeah, Episode Metal is the worst thing Dimps has ever done, but I do in fact like the original Sonic 4. That's all I have to say there, though.

Well maybe my choice was in fact ill chosen on account of the fact that just rechecking the weather it's all gone slush style, so now it's just wet.

It snowed in my town in southeast Texas ONCE in 20 years few years ago, on a school day, senior year

That was a FUN day of school. There was no drama, nobody (professor) beefing with each other; just a bunch of kids who probably never threw a snowball in their life having fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic R isn't that bad, but the best part of it is indisputably its soundtrack.

I wish I could back in time and tell this to Past Noi. He used to play that almost religiously at one point...
You know... This kind of explains quite a bit about how you could tolerate some sub-par games. More patient than I am! :lol

Episode Metal is pure fucking shit. I would say that is DEFINITELY the worst thing Dimps has ever made. 4 acts and only one was bearable. The rest was lazy with the difficulty. "Let's spam enemy, spikes and pit placements without thinking!" GREAT ONE, ASSHOLES.

Oh and what's with the annoying cutscenes with Metal Sonic getting powered up but only to still play exactly like Sonic? Such a damn shame because Metal Sonic is like my 2nd favorite character and his only game is this lazy crap.
No, they balanced the difficulty extremely weird. The hardest thing at the beginning with spikes and pits and dumb garbage because Robotnik built Mad Gear because reasons, and then the easiest thing at the end.

And Metal and Sonic play the same. Stupid. What kind of game design is this, Dimps?

It is snowing like FUCK here, so naturally I'mma blast Ice Cap Zone.
It's just sorta cold here (0°C; -6°C with the windchill).

I wish we got snow so I could have the excuse to dress really warm. *checks* should probably snow later.

qq more

No, they balanced the difficulty extremely weird. The hardest thing at the beginning with spikes and pits and dumb garbage because Robotnik built Mad Gear because reasons, and then the easiest thing at the end.

And Metal and Sonic play the same. Stupid. What kind of game design is this, Dimps

I still say it's lazy because of the way they handled it. It was like... "let's just copy paste random enemies here!". You know, kind of like that Kaizo Mario 64 rom hack with the dumb chain chomps placements. At least that was the case with Splash Hill. :lol

I used to love when it snowed, but after that freak stretch of back to back snowstorms in the northeast between December 2010 and March of 2011, I'd be happy if I never saw a single snowflake again :|

qq more

It stopped snowing since a few weeks ago and we've been getting nothing but rain. YUCK

Amusing enough the only time it snowed was Christmas Eve to sometime before New Years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who told Dimps this was a good idea?

Seven Force said:
I used to love when it snowed, but after that freak stretch of back to back snowstorms in the northeast between December 2010 and March of 2011, I'd be happy if I never saw a single snowflake again :|
I wish we got snowstorms still because that way I can get a day off school. :|

The last time I got a snow day was in, like, 2007 (it probably was 2007 because I remember braving the storm to drive to my Molecular Bio lecture that morning, finding that lectures just got cancelled when I got there, and then I had to drive all the way back to the suburbs from Toronto).

Now we only get a few cm or mm of snow and it's boring.

I liked that! Although it did kinda screw over my college classes, necessitating things get sped up in order to still make everything fit by the end of the semester. Japanese was fun that year. I do regret picking up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom the week before instead of Metroid Prime Trilogy, though; been kicking myself about that ever since.

Now, the year after that, when it started snowing during my commute home and wound up tying up traffic around the DC metropolitan area for hours... I'm still amazed I made it home then; it was horrible.

Noi

It doesn't snow in PR at all, you guys should appreciate yours. :( First time I saw snow firsthand was when I went to Canada. Experiencing it for the first time was fun.

You know... This kind of explains quite a bit about how you could tolerate some sub-par games. More patient than I am! :lol

I spent my childhood playing such wonderful games like Sonic R PC, Banjo Tooie (which I still think is good!), Bubsy 1 PC, the Super Star Wars trilogy, Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout, and Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring.

You best god damn believe I learned how to be patient. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But, Schala! Don't you want Dimps to justify the homing attack in the most generic way possible?!
They started off as a way to hit enemies in a 3D environment in SA and SA2, but then Dimps took it way too far and used it as an aspect of regular level design. Just use fans or something like they do in Colours. It's just that simple! And don't make it over a pit unless we're in a sky or flying fortress zone. There should be an alternative path below that if you screw up your HA.

Dimps... *shakes head*

I spent my childhood playing such wonderful games like Sonic R PC, Banjo Tooie (which I still think is good!), Bubsy 1 PC, the Super Star Wars trilogy, Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout, and Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring.

You best god damn believe I learned how to be patient. :lol
I'm so sorry. :(

Noi

I only ever played the demos for Sonic 4 I and II and just shook my head on seeing those. I don't mind the Homing Attack, but god damn did 4's use of it rub me the wrong way.

I'm so sorry. :(

To be fair I didn't suffer Final Bout alone. It was pretty much THE DBZ game to play with friends (since it was the ONLY thing that existed at the time minus the Super Butōden games which we didn't existed), so we worked to get one of those region skipping discs to finally play our copy of the game. It's god awful now, but man did it feel great playing a legit DBZ video game back then.

Everything else though? Yeah, that's all me. 8D

Quackula

Woo getting a model 1 Sega CD!

Just gotta nab me an ac adapter copy of Sonic CD for it.

Then I can save up and blow an obscene amount of money on Popful Mail.

Woo getting a model 1 Sega CD!

Just gotta nab me an ac adapter copy of Sonic CD for it.

Then I can save up and blow an obscene amount of money on Popful Mail.
I was tempted to get one of those, but hearing about how the motor for the CD tray liked to break down kinda put me off of it - that and the combined height probably meaning the resulting console would obscure the bottom-right of my TV. Got a Model 2 Sega CD instead, and tbh, I actually really like the way it looks with my Model 1 Genny.

I actually have a spare AC adapter for it, too... might work with a Model 1 Sega CD, I forget.

Quackula

I was tempted to get one of those, but hearing about how the motor for the CD tray liked to break down kinda put me off of it - that and the combined height probably meaning the resulting console would obscure the bottom-right of my TV. Got a Model 2 Sega CD instead, and tbh, I actually really like the way it looks with my Model 1 Genny.

I don't mind doing my own repairs on stuff, and while space isn't really a huge issue either way, I'd prefer it not to take up more horizontal space than my Genesis 1 already does.

Plus it's got the cooler boot screen music.

EDIT: Both Sega CDs use the same ac adapter, so yeah it'd work.

I wish we got snowstorms still because that way I can get a day off school. :|

The last time I got a snow day was in, like, 2007 (it probably was 2007 because I remember braving the storm to drive to my Molecular Bio lecture that morning, finding that lectures just got cancelled when I got there, and then I had to drive all the way back to the suburbs from Toronto).

Now we only get a few cm or mm of snow and it's boring.

I'm like, the only person I know that hates snow days. Probably because the make-up classes almost always get moved to the most inconvenient days for me, heh.

I liked that! Although it did kinda screw over my college classes, necessitating things get sped up in order to still make everything fit by the end of the semester. Japanese was fun that year. I do regret picking up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom the week before instead of Metroid Prime Trilogy, though; been kicking myself about that ever since.

Now, the year after that, when it started snowing during my commute home and wound up tying up traffic around the DC metropolitan area for hours... I'm still amazed I made it home then; it was horrible.

The big 2010 Christmas blizzard was the absolute worst for me. Ended up having to stay in NY Penn Station that night because I couldn't get home (and transportation to the part of the city I live in got shut down, anyway), and I didn't have the money to spare for any of the hotels nearby.

I'm like, the only person I know that hates snow days. Probably because the make-up classes almost always get moved to the most inconvenient days for me, heh.

I hated when the teacher was out and we had a sub. They had no idea how to run class so kids would take advantage of them, and aint shit would get done for the day except busy work, so that means we gotta do even more actual work when the teacher comes back.

TheOGB

Banned
Our school distrect almost never gave us snow days or any of that no matter how fucked up it got (and it gets fucked up fairly often during Minnesota winters :p), but that big storm a few years ago finally made them give us days off. Then I went out of town the next week and avoided the following snowfall.

My senior year was pretty awesome

Nert

KAKIPI1000, my favorite Sonic Generations speed runner on YouTube, has ascended beyond the game's actual levels in the past few months to start racing through things like this. Watching this is bringing back my repressed wishes for there to be DLC levels in Generations : /

But then PersonaGAF will destroy me if I bring that sort of thing up. What do you think of the licensed soundtrack debate?

As I mentioned in the voting thread, licensed soundtracks seem fine because I trust GAF. The nightmare scenario would be a list dominated by Madden or Guitar Hero
not that anyone is making plastic instrument games anymore
because everybody happened to really like that one Linkin Park song that was licensed for the soundtrack. That doesn't seem like something that will happen here, though. Hotline Miami was the only licensed soundtrack to make a dent in the last three years, and if we're going to make exceptions for "special" licensed soundtracks that were thoughtfully put together, we technically have to let them all in, I would think.

Having said that, we're still considering everyone's input and we haven't made any formal decisions yet.

I thought this was the #masterplan a few months ago until people got busy. I personally would like a place to discuss stuff I'm listening to, whether it's new or something I'm late to the party with.

After putting the results thread together (including things that didn't make the OP like this discography supplement), I'm going to take a break from thread creation for a while and work on game of the year stuff (and life stuff). I would definitely be up for working on that thread again with anyone that's still interested for a February launch, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom