• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Ah well this is not underrated, it's rather that most of us prefer games that are polished throughout rather than having a few awesome moments. (The StH 2006 level design and/or the tech really is broken of bugs)

So in your eyes Anth0ny was onto something?

...Beef...

Some of the best Sonic games didn't have any Chao and/or Chao-raising. Sonic 1/2/3/3+k, Colors, Generations, etc. Logically, if a Chao is in a Sonic game, it must be bad. CLEARLY, this sort of logic is unbreakable. Unbreakable.

JAAew.jpg

DhxCl.jpg

...Excuse me, I must use the restroom.

You're the cruelest human being if you can still choose to let your Chao go free after seeing the Chao Release screen picture with the heart-wrenching music.

I could never do it.

Shit man, that was me on the PS2 memory card. You have those little statues of people spinning around representing the game, then you go to delete and they start crying. I'm bout to delete this mothafucka from existence.

I just had to buy another memory card for new games, lol

Hill Top is an awesome zone, it has a great unique look for a volcano level and it has some pretty catchy music as well...bunch of haterate gulpin' folk in here!

Not sure what to make of the background though...that's the only thing that confuses me...I think a background similar to how Azure Lake looks would have worked a bit better.

qq more

The background just has mountains that are tall enough to go above the clouds. Nothin' confusing about that.

ps that whole sonic 06 thing was just me copy pasting some post from an entirely different forum... who actually believed I was serious for a second by the way?

Stop reminding me that Generations doesn't have DLC. :(

Yeah that's a joke.

Speaking of Generations: anyone has some tips regarding beating the final boss without him touching me? I mostly die on rings, I can't see them or when I do, it's too late. Any tip as to when to spot them easily so that I don't die stupidly?

The background just has mountains that are tall enough to go above the clouds. Nothin' confusing about that.

ps that whole sonic 06 thing was just me copy pasting some post from an entirely different forum... who actually believed I was serious for a second by the way?

Volcanoes don't get that tall!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah that's a joke.

Speaking of Generations: anyone has some tips regarding beating the final boss without him touching me? I mostly die on rings, I can't see them or when I do, it's too late. Any tip as to when to spot them easily so that I don't die stupidly?
This is ooooooooooooooold, but:

It's pretty easy when you get used to his attacks.

First, change the music if you haven't already to something that'll put you in the zone. The final boss music is depressing and it doesn't do much to put you in the mood to defeat the boss at all. I recommend Live and Learn or What I'm Made Of. Also, take the subtitles off if you have them on.

Second, stay in Modern Sonic's perspective for most of the battle until you have to switch. HOLD boost. Do not take your thumb off Boost unless you hit an obstruction. I can tell you right now that hitting debris will not influence the trophy, but it is best to not hit debris at all because if you do, you will lose momentum.

You can either memorize the locations of the debris (this is what I did) to take a better path to avoid them, or you can use Classic Sonic to destroy them.

Third, keep boosting into ring lines. You can easily accumulate over 120 rings in this stage if you boost in the right places.

Fourth, boost into the Time Eater as quickly as possible for the first time, preferably before he uses Homing Attack. But if he's about to use Homing Attack, back off, dodge the missiles (stay in one spot and when the missiles get close, then move quickly around). For his hand attacks (which is the first thing he uses, just go up to the ceiling of the vortex. He won't get you; you may also switch to Classic Sonic's perspective so the hand will go in an entirely different direction).

For his clap attack, when you're about to hit him.
1) When you want to hit him for the first time, and if you're too slow (this goes for nearly every clap attack, actually; I've had instances where he never used it because I was too fast in getting to the core), he'll attack you with his bottom two hands. When you get hear him, stay up where his hands can't reach (don't let go of boost) and move back down to hit his core.
2) After hitting him once, he'll use his bottom hands again. Repeat what you did for (1).
3) After the second attack, he'll use his bottom hands and will now use his top hands. Stay below him this time to avoid the attacks and charge into the core.
4) After the third attack, keep up with him, but you don't need to hit the core. Dodge everything he throws at you, keep up your ring count and he'll use the Meteor attack. Keep your hands on the L1+R1/LT+RT and don't let go.

For Slow, he'll use this in his third phase. There's nothing you can do about this, but stay in Modern Sonic's perspective. If you feel like the missiles are too close, switch to Classic Sonic's perspective (back and forth) to watch the missiles hilariously go off-course.

Finally, for Laser, stop holding boost. I mean it. When he's almost finished charging it up, switch to Classic Sonic's perspective like so and the laser will hilariously go off-course.

It takes a little practice and memorization, but you'll be able to pull it off.

(I had to dig deep into the Sonic Generations thread for that...) I hope that helps. I haven't done it in a long time but someone could probably pitch in with a few tips too. OH! If you have trouble seeing rings, shift into Classic Sonic's perspective if you need to see them easier.

Hey, you guys remember that lady artist that did work for the Archie comics for an issue but was put in the hospital? Well her husband is selling some of the comic pages she did to help pay for bills.
Oh no, that's awful (the bills situation)! I like seeing that some of them are already sold, though. That's great.

Some of the best Sonic games didn't have any Chao and/or Chao-raising. Sonic 1/2/3/3+k, Colors, Generations, etc. Logically, if a Chao is in a Sonic game, it must be bad. CLEARLY, this sort of logic is unbreakable. Unbreakable.

...Excuse me, I must use the restroom.
*knocks on door* Mr. Beef?

IDK why Hill Top's music gets hate. It's pretty catchy and appropriate to the zone. Hardly offensive.
Oddly, I find the demo version a little better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How did the people who designed this:

xNpDS.png

...end up designing a far more competent final boss in Generations 3DS than the console version?

qq more

How did the people who designed this:

xNpDS.png

...end up designing a far more competent final boss in Generations 3DS than the console version?

Remember, this is Dimps we're talking about. They're very inconsistent. One day they learn from bad level design... the next they throw all of their brain cells out of the window!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*adds Botanicula to GotY short list*

Yup. Too many VNs/point and clicks in here, though. Hm.

Easy Mode for future Sonic games should have Cream in them.
I actually agree. In multiple games, Cream's been part of the easiest routes (when that was previously Tails's job because he could fly (and if you had a turbo controller, you could easily abuse that in the Genesis games)), or she's had a role on the team that makes the game remarkably easier than before (ex: being a healer in the Sonic RPG).

Bringing Tails up to being a "normal" difficulty and Sonic up to a "moderate" difficulty wouldn't be so bad.

What is this?
A boss who takes 200 years to fight but tries to take you down with it just because.

qq more

Nothing wrong with that boss besides that last annoying thing he does, which in turn made getting that Untouchable achievement hard for me.

I felt the boss itself dragged on (and is really just a homing attack fest for a good portion of it) and not to mention your loss rings randomly decides to fly far away enough that you cant recollect it. It was a disgrace to the original boss. :(

Not to mention it has the worst boss theme I've ever heard.

Kokonoe

Banned
Boss only takes 3-4 minutes.

I felt the boss itself dragged on (and is really just a homing attack fest for a good portion of it) and not to mention your loss rings randomly decides to fly far away enough that you cant recollect it. It was a disgrace to the original boss. :(

Not to mention it has the worst boss theme I've ever heard.

Well, least you have rings that time I guess.

Kokonoe

Banned
Eh, I think my real problem with it the length just how uninteresting the boss fight was. Not to mention that music that loops every 8 seconds...

That reminds me I need to beat Sonic 2...

I found it to be interesting myself, I kinda liked timing the spinballs under his wacky skip stuff. Well, interesting for a Egg Robot anyways. I just don't see anything remotely bad with the boss besides that weird thing he does at the end. It plays fine.

qq more

I found it to be interesting myself, I kinda liked timing the spinballs under his wacky skip stuff. Well, interesting for a Egg Robot anyways. I just don't see anything remotely bad with the boss besides that weird thing he does at the end. It plays fine.
To each their own I suppose.

Definitely better than Ep II's final boss (especially the co-op version) for sure.

post your backlogs (if you have one)

http://backloggery.com/Kokonoe

I still have a lot to add to mine, but i'll get to that whenever.

You have been added to my premium multi-tap, officially Sega licensed!

I haven't updated mine in a bit...I've played and beaten several games already. Just beat Super Metroid...was playing Lost Levels but 3-4 hours and I'm still stuck on 8-3...and I literally sat an entire night and played through that game...curse it to hell. Time to get back to Wind Wakah!

tiggerkiddo

Never had a backlog for video games. Guess I don't play a lot of RPGs, and most games I beat/play are kinda short.

"Metal Slug 3 - I'm on level 3, 10 minutes in!"

LOLno

Now if there was a comic book equivalent to a backlog, that would be me all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom