• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I played the first hour of Sly 1 and hated it. I have very demanding expectation for controls in certain types of games and it failed miserably.

The ViewtifulJC 30-minute test never fails me. If I'm not having fun or interested in a game beyond, "I guess this gets good, eventually" in the first 30 minutes, it's out of here.

I read so many backlogs of people playing RPGs, "few hours in, things are starting to get interesting!" Man, those guys have a lot more patience then I do.

Emitan

The ViewtifulJC 30-minute test never fails me. If I'm not having fun or interested in a game beyond, "I guess this gets good, eventually" in the first 30 minutes, it's out of here.

I read so many backlogs of people playing RPGs, "few hours in, things are starting to get interesting!" Man, those guys have a lot more patience then I do.

Someone told me some game I dropped gets good 20 hours in.

I COULD BEAT TWO OR MORE GOOD GAMES IN THAT TIME.

Also Kokonoe have you played FFXIV? I am planning on playing it with Gravijah when it releases on PS3 and was wonder if you had an opinion because I know you love FFXI.

EDIT: I just realized they're overhauling the whole game so I guess you wouldn't know very much.

Sonic games needs more Professor Pickle

I am legitimately a little sad that we never got a follow up to Sonic Unleashed.

Actually, I think that goes for a lot of Sonic games, these days. I want another Sonic Unleashed. I can think up so many locales they could still visit! Like Canada! And Utah! And Japan! And Australia! And Ireland!

I want another Sonic Generations. So many levels they could remake yet! Spring Yard! Oil Ocean! Ice Cap! Red Mountain! Metal Harbor!

And really, the possibilities are endless with another Sonic Colors, because planets can be anything.

I know you're supposed to "leave'em wanting more", but jeesh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991, I'm curious--do you feel that Sonic's in a much better place now than it was in the Adventure Era, or do you feel like it could be better? I don't think the series is going to get rid of the stigma attached to it any time soon.

And I totally agree with wanting more Unleashed. :|

ViewtifulJC said:
And that, my dear sweet Schala, is one of the many reasons I don't more RPGs!

Hell, I think the first cutscene in Okami is 30 minutes of unskippable forklore
Now you know why I can't really stand cinematics in RPGs. It's going to be used more and more because RPGs are supposed to be movies or something I dunno, but I never ever came to the genre for that.

It annoys me to no end that FF's become more cinematic.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, good lord, at this point Sega could split the franchise at least 4 different ways. It's kinda ridiculous.

GOT IT, have the next Sonic be like Unleashed... except with planets instead of cities/countries... while having flashbacks to his childhood.

Sonic the Clusterfuck, coming to a PS360 near U winter 2013

Sega1991, I'm curious--do you feel that Sonic's in a much better place now than it was in the Adventure Era, or do you feel like it could be better? I don't think the series is going to get rid of the stigma attached to it any time soon.

And I totally agree with wanting more Unleashed. :|

Well, it sort of depends on what you mean by Adventure Era.

Around these parts, a lot of people I spoke to about the original Sonic Adventure were really frustrated at all the parts where you didn't play as Sonic. But I don't think they were entirely put off on the game, it was just a weird and unfortunate part attached to an otherwise okay game.

It was around Sonic Adventure 2 - and if we're going by how Generations categorizes these things, Sonic Heroes - that maybe general opinions about 3D Sonic games began to sour and you started hearing "I guess Sonic just doesn't work in 3D" crop up.

In that "late Adventure era" regard, I think Sonic's in a better place now, though there are still a lot of people out there who wrinkle their nose at the thought of having to control Sonic in 3D and think it is impossible.

I don't think that's true at all, but Sonic Team doesn't really seem interested in "solving" Sonic in 3D, or at least, not in the ways I personally think they should. They still view Sonic as a highly scripted rollercoaster, and that's fine and fun enough but I feel like somebody somewhere missed a memo when you give Sonic the ability to boost but also have boost pads all over the floor of every level. The case could be made that booster pads make you go even faster than boosting would normally, but if you ask a lot of speed runners, it's actually the opposite.

But, whatever. I shouldn't complain if I'm actually having fun with the games, and I've said it (or at least thought it) before: I'm actually sort of dreading the next Sonic game if it really is another soft reboot, because it finally feels like they hit some kind of stride and now they're ready to throw that out the window and start over. They haven't done well enough to earn the appropriate amount of faith for a move like that.

DeVeAn

Are you solely interested in the Archie Comics stuff? You could order directly from them if that's the case.

I know some people who've used Comics Infinity in the past. Graham Crackers Comics gives you a free bag and board with every comic you buy, which you'd obviously want for storage. Some other people use DCBS but I don't know how reliable they are.

I usually walk into the store and buy them, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. Best place to ask around in is the Comics thread in OT if you don't think the above options are that great. You have a better spread of people to ask there too.

Yes only Archie stuff. Archie direct though haven't use them in years, had horrible packing and books were always damaged. No existing stores around me for miles and Barnes and Nobles have all damaged books. I ask here simply because its only for Sonic and Mega Man comics.

Sciz

Picked up Sonic #244 recently. Worlds Collide can't come soon enough, because laywer-based last minute changes are really screwing with the current arcs in both series.

Not going to get too detailed, but some quick thoughts:

Sonic #243:
-Never been crazy about the echidna society in the first place, as it's fundamentally a knock off of Krypton and painfully super serious. The high tech's been knocked down several pegs, but they're still no fun to read about. Politics and war and nothing but. This issue has Metal Knuckles wrecking shit and it's still a drag.

-Steven Butler's still the worst artist on the series by a mile to boot, which doesn't help. The color palette's really brown and depressing too.

-But enough beating around the bush, because the real story here is playing "Spot the Font". Even as art has largely gone digital, it's still widely preferred to have a human write the text in by hand instead of just typing it in. It's an art form in its own right, and you get a look that no font can match. Archie's had none other than John Workman doing letters for Sonic for the last hundred issues (and for Mega Man, too), and he does a great job.

So it's really fucking obvious when you replace bits of dialogue with a computer font.

It's everywhere. Edits range from individual words within a sentence to entire speech bubbles to an entire page at one point. It's incredibly jarring and the revised script tends to feel unnatural, even if it still makes logical sense.

-Off Panel's funny, at least. Unfortunately the fan funny was plagiarized. Hard thing for Archie editorial to catch, but it's a shame when it happens. Make your own stuff, kids.
tl;dr: selectively writing over the letterer's work with a computer font makes it incredibly obvious there's trouble in River City

Sonic #244:
-The good news is that the lettering is untouched.

-The bad news is that the plot is not. Here's the original cover: http://www.archiecomics.com/Portals/0/sth244.600.jpg. Julie-Su's gone from the final version and isn't anywhere to be found in the issue either. And neither is any other echidna besides Knuckles. In Albion. The homeland of the echidnas.

the fuck

The original solicit for this issue suggested that Knuckles was going to show up and help Sonic and co. fight Lien-Da's forces for the fate of Albion, which is the direction #243 was going in. What we got is an issue that mostly consists of Knuckles wandering around an abandoned city trying to figure out what's happened, about half of which consists of flashbacks that reveal what did happen to go from all-out war in one issue to the desolate wasteland that is this issue. Turns out Thrash herded them all through a warp ring.

Yeah.

I think Dimitri's still hanging around in Haven, technically.

-Oh, and Metal Knuckles is apparently being revived by the krudzu of all things, so who knows what the hell the next two issues are going to do to kill time since the original plans for this arc are incredibly dead.

The solicit for #245 reads as follows, for the record: "It's all-out war on Albion! Lien-Da's Dark Egg Legion battles Thrash's devil dog pack, with Knuckles and Team Fighters giving their all to control the chaos! The dark origin of Thrash is revealed, opening up a no-holds-barred throw-down with Knuckles!"

-Ian's admitted that the original plans for the arc had to be scrapped at the last minute, but the stitched-together corpse shambling around in its place is just a terrible replacement. It's a shame, since the story it was supposed to be had already been on hold for something like three years now, since the setup for it back in the third Universe arc (which was itself supposed to be the second arc). Off Panel even lampshades the fact that no one remembers who Thrash is.
tl;dr: trainwreck in motion

Universe #46
-Speaking of storylines about three years in the making, this one was set up at the end of the Iron Dominion saga. It was a meaningful little moment at the end of what was otherwise a big pile of bleh and held the promise of being an entirely different affair. Not to mention Ray had just had a fantastic scene not long before, so the idea of venturing out into the world with Mighty and Ray and leaving everyone else behind for a while was immensely appealing. And then nothing happened. And now that it has, they're only around in flashback while Espio, Vector, and Charmy take center stage. Alas.

-To cut to the chase, the story takes place in Mercia and features the Mercian Freedom Fighters, a blatant take on Sherwood Forest and Robin Hood dating to the comic's post-Endgame days when it didn't have anything better to do than come up with new characters and locales to kill time until Eggman arrived. Problem is, the MFF isn't all here. They're supposed to be led by King Rob o' the Hedge (basically a Sonic recolor with a bow, hood, and accent; also happens to be Amy's cousin) and Mari'an, his echidna wife. They've been quietly replaced by a new sparrow and rabbit, respectively, and the MFF as a whole are looking for the king. This wouldn't itself be too suspicious, except #47's cover used to look like this (that's Rob, yes). They swapped out two entire characters between publishing a promotional cover and the issue actually hitting print. But not the rest of the MFF, and they still mention Rob by name. It's perplexing.

-The upshot is that the story wasn't hacked to bits like its Sonic counterpart. None of the MFF were particularly fleshed out to begin with, so switching two of them out with similar substitutes doesn't really affect anything. It's a decent enough tale, and the MFF are actually a lot of fun this time around, especially once they start belting out significant chunks of the issue in verse.

-and a hey nonny nonny~
tl;dr: pretty good despite legal weirdness

Universe #47:
-"LET'S FIND THAT COMPUTER ROOM, BOYS!"

-Ian writes momentary bursts of action better than he handles extended fight sequences. This issue takes the form of an infiltration/jailbreak mission, and it's the sort of good fun the series does best.

-Yakko Warner makes a cameo in the dungeons, I kid you not. I have no idea how that got past legal. At least when the TMNT were walking through the background way back in the day, Archie was publishing their comic at the time.

-"ANYBODY FOUND THE COMPUTER ROOM?"
-"Vector, if you ask that one more time..."
-"You said 'Be loud!'"

-Also there's a quick mention of Rob and family disappearing at Never Lake. If you have to momentarily remove characters from the plot, Little Planet's a hell of a place to tuck them away. I do hope Ian will get the chance to get back to that.

-and a hey nonny nonny~
tl;dr: Universe is consistently pure fun even in the face of the law

edit: Oh, and Mega Man #21's great. Sonic needs the four months of lead time the crossover offers to help sort out the fallout from the legal problems, but it's kind of a shame that Mega Man's plot has to be put on hold too, right as the series is really hitting its stride.

On the other hand, Robotnik and Wily sipping champagne on a bicycle built for two is worth any delay.

Pietepiet

I'm actually sort of dreading the next Sonic game if it really is another soft reboot, because it finally feels like they hit some kind of stride and now they're ready to throw that out the window and start over. They haven't done well enough to earn the appropriate amount of faith for a move like that.

I'm really worried about this too. They better not mess it up again now that they've finally got something good going...

Anth0ny

It's so funny that in a gaming landscape DOMINATED by bullshit DLC, day one DLC, retailer exclusive DLC and all that crap... there are three games I'd be willing to empty my wallet on, no questions asked.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (or any new installment)
Sonic Generations (or any new installment)
Super Smash Bros

these games have ENDLESS possibilities for DLC.

Instead...

14av12py0kp4.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Also Kokonoe have you played FFXIV? I am planning on playing it with Gravijah when it releases on PS3 and was wonder if you had an opinion because I know you love FFXI.

EDIT: I just realized they're overhauling the whole game so I guess you wouldn't know very much.

I played the first FFXIV and it was just boring and uninteresting, not super terrible, but really dull. Graphics were great, though. 2.0/Realm Reborn I didn't get to try and that is essentially a whole new game so you are right, I wouldn't know.

I'll find out sometime in Mid February when I get into the Beta. Me hyping things gets me in trouble, but I do think they aren't going to mess up this time around, it does look pretty good.

qq more

It's so funny that in a gaming landscape DOMINATED by bullshit DLC, day one DLC, retailer exclusive DLC and all that crap... there are three games I'd be willing to empty my wallet on, no questions asked.

Super Smash Bros

Instead...

I hate the very idea of UMvC3 getting DLC but it had more to do with the fact that they ripped me off with the original MvC3.

HEY GUYS WE'RE GOING TO HAVE DLC FOR MvC3

oops we lied you have to pay for the same game over to get the new shit within the same year you bought the game

fuck you capcom fuck you

Emitan

I hate the very idea of UMvC3 getting DLC but it had more to do with the fact that they ripped me off with the original MvC3.

HEY GUYS WE'RE GOING TO HAVE DLC FOR MvC3

oops we lied you have to pay for the same game over to get the new shit within the same year you bought the game

fuck you capcom fuck you

My favorite part is when Sven was like "Why would we do DLC? Japanese people don't buy that!"

THEN WHY DID YOU SAY THERE WOULD BE DLC?!?!?!?!

Emitan

I played the first FFXIV and it was just boring and uninteresting, not super terrible, but really dull. Graphics were great, though. 2.0/Realm Reborn I didn't get to try and that is essentially a whole new game so you are right, I wouldn't know.

I'll find out sometime in Mid February when I get into the Beta. Me hyping things gets me in trouble, but I do think they aren't going to mess up this time around, it does look pretty good.

A Realm Reborn looks super cool from that level 15 dungeon video thing they showed. I wanna be a badass catgirl Lancer!

Super Smash Bros

Instead...

Yeah, I'd pay a fair amount of money for any of those games to get DLC.

Noi

Dragon Quest 4 and 5 get to ittttttttt

I heard 8 is great but idk haven't played that one yet.

I thought FF (and now Phantasy Star) were better than 1. 4 was snoozeville. 8 I have no idea how far I got into it before I stopped because it wasn't going anywhere. I beat 9, but thought it was just average.

I realize I may be making a few people sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom