• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think I've ever gotten a good deal on anything, in fact, I more or less only find bad deals. I guess these are the things I've gotten.

Payed a dollar for a Game Genie 10 years ago for original gameboy and it still had the little cheatbook in the back. I also found the Broadband Adapter brand new at GameStop for 30$ 3-4 years ago (although this isn't really a deal) which I used to play schthack private server with.

This isn't really a deal, but the original cost for PSO Ep I & II Plus was 19.99 and I bought that, it's used price is like 60-80$ now.

I don't think I've ever gotten a good deal on anything, in fact, I more or less only find bad deals. I guess these are the things I've gotten.

Payed a dollar for a Game Genie 10 years ago for original gameboy and it still had the little cheatbook in the back. I also found the Broadband Adapter brand new at GameStop for 30$ 3-4 years ago (although this isn't really a deal) which I used to play schthack private server with.

This isn't really a deal, but the original cost for PSO Ep I & II Plus was 19.99 and I bought that, it's used price is like 60-80$ now.

I found a game genie for the same price at a flea market! Shame I didn't keep it.

qq more

I've been using a rewards site for a while now and I've been using it to build up a lot of amazon gift cards. I ended up paying only 45 dollars of my actual money for Earthbound thanks to that. Also bought all of my Wii U games for free :V (except for NintendoLand but that's bundled with the system). I think this is gonna be my method of buying games for a while, helps save a lot of money that way.

Yeeeeesh. I hate it when games goes up in price. Made getting Earthbound a major pain in the ass :(

I found a game genie for the same price at a flea market! Shame I didn't keep it.

That reminds me I was at a pawn shop last year and bought a complete in box copy of Super Mario World for 20. (my original cart is gone) The condition is fantastic and I think it normally goes for... 50 dollars with everything included?

That's where I got mine, haha. =)

Flea markets are awesome!

I've been using a rewards site for a while now and I've been using it to build up a lot of amazon gift cards. I ended up paying only 45 dollars of my actual money for Earthbound thanks to that. Also bought all of my Wii U games for free :V (except for NintendoLand but that's bundled with the system). I think this is gonna be my method of buying games for a while, helps save a lot of money that way.

Yeeeeesh. I hate it when games goes up in price. Made getting Earthbound a major pain in the ass :(

That reminds me I was at a pawn shop last year and bought a complete in box copy of Super Mario World for 20. (my original cart is gone) The condition is fantastic and I think it normally goes for... 50 dollars with everything included?

More than that actually. Closer to the century mark at times.

That SMW box is kinda hard to get hold of. The pack-in version didn't come with a box at all.
Oddly, boxes for cartridge games don't really matter that much to me, but boxes for disc-based games? Gotta have the original. A mere jewel case simply will not do!

...and I have no idea why this is since realistically a boxless cartridge is as valuable as a jewel cased CD game, or a CD game with box is about as valuable as cartridge game with box. It's a weird double standard I have, but nevertheless, it is what it is...

Quackula

I think just about everyone does the need-case-if-disc-but-cart-only-is-okay thing. I think a big chunk of it is simply that the casing for a disc based game acts as both protection for the game itself (which carts don't need as much) and it gives you a nice spine or whatever to find on your shelf.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I usually go to a lot of thrift shops or a flea market to hunt old carts down.

Someone went through the series and figured out who created what a while back. Most of Penders' characters are dead, irrelevant, or written out at this point, but a handful of them would really hurt to lose just now without the chance for some sort of closure, most notably Geoffrey and Elias.
Yeah, Geoffrey especially. His story was getting pretty interesting too (the Universe arc helped a lot with that, imo), so it'd be a shame to can it. And they still left a window open for Hershey to come back, right, leaving for more development and story expansion on his part?

The only characters Penders seems to actually care about are the echidnas and all the fluff surrounding them, and all that's been pretty much vaporized or warped to another dimension at this point, so a settlement in which Archie gives up those and keeps the rest wouldn't cause too much trouble. I'd say they could just replace them with the Nocturnus (I'm watching you, Beef) if they really wanted to bring some of that back, except they're under legal contention too.
Did anyone really care about these characters after a while outside of when they stopped producing the Knuckles subseries? They never really seemed to add much outside of giving people to Knuckles to bounce ideas off of, but you could just use the Chaotix and other characters for that.

As for rebooting, it'd be kind of weird to do it now and making it closer to the games considering:
-they've done comic adaptations of the games years ago and those issues beat the hell out of the adaptations they do now
-Sonic Genesis was last year and that was a small attempt at doing so
-Ian already wrote out a lot of the garbage that plagued the comics for a while, so why stop a good thing?

One of the zones we know Iizuka designed in S3&K was Sky Sanctuary. Think about its design a bit and you'll have your answer.
Wow, I never really stopped for a second to actually take a look at the map before. Look at this thing. The area is meaningful because it's high up in the sky so that would explain all the pits. But there are so many straight lines or small slopes and little curves to speak of to gain momentum. Not like it's necessarily needed considering its narrative/setting significance, but it's just interesting to look at the level design in this and then look at some of the stuff now.

Semi-related: why would someone do this

Hey I liked the echidnas, drunk on Marvel that they were.

And buying boxes for all the cartridges I have is pretty darn costly! Harvest Moon is out of my comfort level...ouch.

Sciz

And they still left a window open for Hershey to come back, right, leaving for more development and story expansion on his part?
She's "dead", but all we have to go on for that is that the Felidae told Geoffrey she died and he couldn't find any trace of her. That window's very much wide open, though I think he's more interesting for the loss and she never had anything going for her in the first place.

Did anyone really care about these characters after a while outside of when they stopped producing the Knuckles subseries? They never really seemed to add much outside of giving people to Knuckles to bounce ideas off of, but you could just use the Chaotix and other characters for that.

They had their fans. I'm not sure why, but this is also a world where '06 has ardent defenders.

As for rebooting, it'd be kind of weird to do it now and making it closer to the games
The games have all the depth of a puddle, but I won't say it couldn't be done well. There's a lot more to weave a universe around now a la Mega Man than there was twenty years ago when Sonic the Comic tried it with all of Sonic 1 and 2 to work with. It'd just focus more on fleshing out stuff like the various human societies, Blaze's dimension, Little Planet, ancient Babylonian/echidnean ruins, and maybe the Black Arms/Chronicles' alien species (still watching you, Beef), all stuff that technically exists in Archie, but which the book doesn't have time to explore adequately with so much else taking precedence. Ian would still have to make up plenty of stuff to fill in the gaps, but the world of the games is big enough to play in at this point. The loss of years of characterization would be the biggest blow, even if most of the comic cast could find new homes in the new universe.

Hey Sega1991,
maybe Archie have an Animaniacs comic in the works? That would be pretty fucking killer.

For some reason I thought Animaniacs was Disney. But yeah, it might be pretty cool if they do one. Though I have to wonder how thin Ian's getting stretched between Sonic and Mega Man and I guess he also guest-writes some other Archie stuff from time to time like Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

There are also concept/pitch drawings out there of an Archie Super Mario Bros. comic (those aren't official colors on the right). There were actual like, test pages drawn but I can't seem to find those right now. Also with the Mario pitch images was some Metroid and Kirby stuff too, as I recall.

Well, I think your idea of putting Sonic in 3D isn't too bad, actually. I mean, I completely prefer the hybrid thing they have going on now (mostly because 3D platformers and I don't seem to jive well for some reason), but your idea (I think you wrote it up somewhere?) seems reasonable. I think Sega just saw that the multicharacter approach in S3&K worked so well that they tried to do everything and threw in the kitchen sink and that just didn't work out well at all. Okay, it worked out for some people, but from a polished gameplay sort of standpoint, it felt incredibly lacking. Going back to playing some of those games today makes them seem inadequate now.

Though, I feel like they should go back to some of the older games and see that gaining speed and momentum wasn't necessarily based on springs or anything. It was running back and forth in a convex-mirror-like thing and building up speed. They streamlined this with the spindash and later the boost, but they really did take some autonomy from the player later on. I wonder where that started. I wish they'd take the damn boost pads out. It only makes Sonic lose momentum.

I think they're fine where they are, or at least it's a decent start. I hope the next game isn't a "reboot" of sorts because at least they're building back some of the faith they've lost over the years.

Boost pads being everywhere and heavy scripting started with Sonic Adventure and only got more prominent from there. It's actually sort of interesting playing Mission Street in SA2 as Sonic because you realize that Sonic isn't actually all that fast under his own power - in most of the Sonic/Shadow stages they use boost pads to get Sonic up to running speed, otherwise he usually can't even get up fast enough to transition out of his walk animation.

Which is actually sort of interesting to me, because it does go back to what I've been saying about Sonic kind of needing a "slow platforming" mode and a "running fast" mode - SA2 just automatically switches you in to running fast mode against your will instead of giving you something like a run button or whatever.

(And no, outside of maybe a post here, I haven't really written that stuff down. The urge to make it in to some kind of larger "Sonic mechanics" video comes and goes, but with the way Youtube's been treating me I don't know how much I'm in to larger scale video projects. But that's another topic)

And yeah, let's hope the next game isn't a reboot. Iizuka did say that Sonic Generations was "closing the book" on one era of Sonic and that the next time we see a flagship Sonic game it'll probably be a fresh start.

There's just no telling what that even means anymore.

I wonder if Ian's considering rebooting?

I'm sure the idea's been fielded more than once by now. It'd be a shame, though. As much of a bizarre amalgamation of ideas the comic universe is at this point, it's got a lot of history and a fairly well developed world and cast of characters that most of the readership and current creative team are attached to, to varying degrees. There are obvious advantages to starting fresh, Mega Man style, but I don't know that there are any stories to be told in a new universe that couldn't be done in this one. Ian's already managed to drag it fairly close to the games at this point.

Don't forget, they tested the waters a bit regarding a reboot - there was murmurs that the Genesis arc was going to be a reboot when all we had was cover art six or nine months ahead of release. The opportunity was there, and they definitely did do kind of a soft reboot - it was a good excuse to trim the fat and have certain characters go away under the explanation of "multiverse shenanigans".

I got Chrono Trigger for free from my cousin a few years ago :3

i got a copy of megaman 5 for gameboy for 20 dollars

for reference, it normally went for 100 on the internet at the time

Well if we're bragging about lucky hauls...

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/40437176031/are-you-satisfied-im-happy-now-gosh-you-guys

A Nintendo 3DS + Circle Pad Pro
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Shinobi 3DS
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger DS (not pictured)
Polarium (not pictured)
Meteos (not pictured)
Brain Age (not pictured)

Basically I knew a guy who was upgrading to a 3DS XL and I did him a favor and this is how he repaid me. I actually feel really guilty because I know everything he sent me is worth way more than the favor I did for him, and he said I could at least pay shipping for all this stuff, but then he stealth sent it to me anyway four months in advance. :[

Noi

Seeing that Mission Street video makes me sad that most games are so heavily scripted nowadays. You couldn't even do something like swap the playable character without breaking some script and making the level/chapter/mission entirely unplayable.

Pietepiet

What the hell, all those lucky hauls. The luckiest I ever got was probably MegaMan Legends 2 for 30 euros. Man, I'm jealous of anyone owning EarthBound. It's the only one I still need in my Mother collection:

Photo%20Oct%2002%2C%2011%2053%2048%20PM.jpg

[EDIT] Wait no, I'm lying. I bought Ufouria for 8 euros.

Mentioned this before but I got a Mega Drive 1, Mega CD, Sonic 1, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, Jungle Strike, Paperboy, FIFA, Madden, NHL and Lethal Enforcers, 10 quid for the whole thing. Best haul I ever got.

Trying to figure out how Knuckles runs in Sonic Advance...his legs don't seem to move at times!

Rad Red must have some black in him...why else does he run with his fist in the air when he beats a stage in Sonic Advance...

qq more

The most fun I have with Sonic Advance 1 is playing as Amy Rose. Alternate play-style done right.

I can't stand Amy as a character but her alt gameplay style was indeed really fun. It's a really interesting take, not to mention challenging for the right reasons. There's rom hacks of the genesis Sonic games where you play as Amy with that alt gameplay style. Although they made her a bit overpowered because she can easily beat half of the bosses with no problem, including the Labyrinth Zone boss :lol

I own some pretty rare Saturn games, like Burning Rangers, Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga...

Holy fuck PDS?! That game costs more than Earthbound which is dangerously heading to the 200 dollar territory already.

Man, what I'd do for Panzer Dragoon Saga. Just narrowly missed getting it for $75 from a guy selling it on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Snagged Burning Rangers from a neighbor for $40, though. I've been on something of a classic gaming kick lately, and I'm finding out the hard way that shopping for retro games in NYC sucks. There's really only three decent places around, and two of them overprice their games, and the other doesn't really have as good a selection as the other two. (And only one of them even has a decent selection of Saturn games, which I've been currently buying for.)

With that said, Earthbound prices are kind of ridiculous these days. A broken EB cartridge just went for $110 or so on eBay.

I want a Saturn. So many games I know nothing about!

It's a great console, especially if you dip into the Japanese library!

qq more

american snes is betterrrrrr NOTHING BEATS THE EJECT BUTTON

lets have a debate about snes console design for no reason in the sonic thread go go go

Holy fuck PDS?! That game costs more than Earthbound which is dangerously heading to the 200 dollar territory already.
Yeah, I set aside a chunk of my paycheck for a few weeks and then bid on it back in 2008. Got it for $160, which is to this day the most I've paid for any video game.

Sad to hear Earthbound prices have skyrocketed since I first looked; back in 2009/2010, the prices were around $100 average.

Sciz

For some reason I thought Animaniacs was Disney. But yeah, it might be pretty cool if they do one. Though I have to wonder how thin Ian's getting stretched between Sonic and Mega Man and I guess he also guest-writes some other Archie stuff from time to time like Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

There are also concept/pitch drawings out there of an Archie Super Mario Bros. comic (those aren't official colors on the right). There were actual like, test pages drawn but I can't seem to find those right now. Also with the Mario pitch images was some Metroid and Kirby stuff too, as I recall.

More recently he's been writing their latest Mighty Crusaders reboot, though that seems to be on hiatus until May. Don't think he's hit his limit yet, though. Back when Sonic was his only book, he was still clearly stretching to make ends meet, and Paul Kaminski has repeatedly said that Ian's a ridiculously fast writer.

And yeah, they pitched Nintendo to do series for a number of their franchises around 2009, all of which were rejected. There was a time when NoA had the autonomy to make licensing deals with other media, but I guess the SMB movie was what killed that.

I like the US SNES model... >.>

Is it region free?

Unfortunately, it isn't, but there's various things you can purchase to make it region free. An Action Replay 4M Plus is the best thing you can get, because it functions as a region unlocking tool as well as a 1 & 4 MB Ram expansion for the games that need them (Capcom & SNK fighters and a few other things), and it lets you back up save data on it as well. (And considering the lifespan of the internal battery in a Saturn, it's definitely handy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom