• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

So that must mean Nomura has tons of pull at Square huh? Isn't he just the lead Character Designer?

He's taking forever with Versus mang...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tales of the Tempest?
One of the worst Tales games next to Tales of VS.

Dimps pretty much did much of it.

So that must mean Nomura has tons of pull at Square huh? Isn't he just the lead Character Designer?

He's taking forever with Versus mang...
No, he's been a director, a creative producer, he's come up with various concepts for the games, monster designer (before becoming the character designer), etc. He's been doing a ton of stuff there.

Yep! And all that with nothing more than Sonic 4 and leftover Generations discussion in terms of new material.
A lot of it was tangental, but it's cuz we all get along.

I'm still a little surprised this was one of the three Community Threads that didn't hit rock bottom, though.

BlackJace

One of the worst Tales games next to Tales of VS.

No, he's been a director, a creative producer, he's come up with various concepts for the games, monster designer (before becoming the character designer), etc. He's been doing a ton of stuff there.

That explains the Versus fiasco then.

I'm still a little surprised this was one of the three Community Threads that didn't hit rock bottom, though.
What're the other two? I mean, HaloGAF is on, like, |OT10393989483947947| now... MinecraftGAF is slow but steady... TF2/JankGAF did pretty well in a Highlander tournament... UMvC3GAF is still talking about things...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What're the other two? I mean, HaloGAF is on, like, |OT10393989483947947| now... MinecraftGAF is slow but steady... TF2/JankGAF did pretty well in a Highlander tournament... UMvC3GAF is still talking about things...
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about those.

I mean the community threads that came up as part of the experiment that the mods put in place in late 2011. So PokeGAF, FF community thread (though sometimes it gets dropped), and this one.

The SMT one died, Zelda one got a small resurgence but for the most part it's kinda dead, the SRW thread died, the Lunar thread died. The Suikoden one looks like it's going to get dropped if no one really supports it, etc.

Sciz

WoWGAF chugs along, even if half of it is people griping about how terrible all the design decisions are.

Noi

I never really minded Lulu's belt skirt mostly because she's a magey character, so it's not like she'd be zooming or flipping around in the air. She's mostly static and the most complicated action she does is walk, as she's mostly standing in place.

Now when you have a character with a Gundam-sized shield or very constrictive-looking armor that's still supposed to be super agile and can pretty much fly around, that's when I shake my head.

Edit: This thread being so active is part of why I decided to peek my head in. I'd posted in the FF one before, but that one dies all the time and has some... "characters" that I'd rather not partake with if possible. FFGAF can get really creepy.

Those aren't Community threads, technically.
Yeah, I suppose.

I know MegaManGAF has been pretty much dead in the water for a while... Beyond that, I'm mostly familiar with Off-Topic communities, of which I can confirm PonyGAF (despite me paying almost no attention to it since April 2012) and PoliGAF are still going strong. Plus all the various SportsGAFs, WrestleGAF, AnimeGAF...

Noi

Really? I know FF threads (particularly XIII related ones) on Gaming side can get a little weird, but I've never actually stuck my head in the Community topic much.

The creepy stuff is more on Gaming than the Community thread yeah, but it's technically still the same group. And even then you still have stuff like that little... back and forth between Negius and that other guy in the Community thread.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now when you have a character with a Gundam-sized shield or very constrictive-looking armor that's still supposed to be super agile and can pretty much fly around, that's when I shake my head.
Gosh, I wonder what you're referring to.
LRnQD.gif

That design is fucking stupid. I dislike everything about it, and don't get me started on the gothic-loli character.

what are they thinking?

Edit: This thread being so active is part of why I decided to peek my head in. I'd posted in the FF one before, but that one dies all the time and has some... "characters" that I'd rather not partake with if possible. FFGAF can get really creepy.
I'm a little happy that people who blame the fans themselves don't post in the community thread that much.

But FF threads have gotten really creepy lately, and it's getting to be a turnoff to post in the threads sometimes. And they say that Sonic fans are bad.

Beyond that, I'm mostly familiar with Off-Topic communities, of which I can confirm PonyGAF (despite me paying almost no attention to it since April 2012) and PoliGAF are still going strong. Plus all the various SportsGAFs, WrestleGAF, AnimeGAF...
I think the only OT community threads I'm aware of are the FootballGAF, AnimeGAF, and WrassleGAF threads. I just read them rather than post in them.

A lot the reason why these threads tend to die so fast is because they're community threads intended for discussion... in the community tab! You'll never get people to start posting in them if they aren't aware of them. You know, "out of sight, out of mind". That's why no one ever posts in the Zelda or FF threads even though they were intended to get tangental discussions out of main gaming threads.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just because it has some sort of narrative significance doesn't mean that everyone cares a lot about it!

My goty list doesn't include Sonic 4: Ep 2. >.>

Sciz

Well, I wouldn't want to be an FF fan these days either.

Or at any point in the last decade or so.

Sega's not run by the brightest folk, but at least they've got some sense of how to give the people what they want.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I wouldn't want to be an FF fan these days either.

Or at any point in the last decade or so.

Sega's not run by the brightest folk, but at least they've got some sense of how to give the people what they want.
Now they have some sense of how to give people what they want.

SE's kind of at the Heroes/Shadow point where you're wondering why they're doing what they're doing and then you realize that they're trying to clean up a huge mess that they've made themselves (FF14/or Sega getting out of making consoles), and are trying to do it while keeping a profit (ie: they made their bed and now they have to lie in it).

Well, at least Sega took one of the Square-Enix composers (Eguchi).

That came out in 2012!?

It seems like it came out in '09 or some shit
what

but you posted in the OT. Once, mind you, but it totally did come out in 2012.

Nert

Not to defend them (creepy is creepy), but Square Enix seems to be courting the creepy crowd rather aggressively lately. Didn't they put out bikini DLC for Serah in FFXIII-2?

Edit: The "Awesome" fan art thread also serves as a useful dumping ground for all of the awful Sonic fan art, helping to keep this thread clean :p

Not to defend them (creepy is creepy), but Square Enix seems to be courting the creepy crowd rather aggressively lately. Didn't they put out bikini DLC for Serah in FFXIII-2?

Yeah.

They are catering to the creepy crowd because the guy who's doing these games IS creepy.

Just because it has some sort of narrative significance doesn't mean that everyone cares a lot about it!

My goty list doesn't include Sonic 4: Ep 2. >.>

It has the greatest narrative significance, now I know what Eggman was searching for in the ruins and why he built mad gear.
No ones GotY list has Episode 2 I wager and with good cause.

Worse is that Serah is rail thin and looks pretty young. Which makes the relationship between her and the biggest idiot of FF more than creepy.

Noi

Considering even the bikini DLC is better than Serah's default costume...

Hell, I bought that DLC but you don't see me non-sarcastically making a support group for an FF character "because there's too much hate being flung her way".

Worse is that Serah is rail thin and looks pretty young. Which makes the relationship between her and the biggest idiot of FF more than creepy.

What was also terrible is how huge her tits got in the sequel.

Also someone in the dev team of XIII-2 cared enough to model a droplets of rains sliding down her cleavage when she stands in the rain.

There's a gif of it out there.

I am actually impressed.

What was also terrible is how huge her tits got in the sequel.

Also someone in the dev team of XIII-2 cared enough to model a droplets of rains sliding down her cleavage when she stands in the rain.

There's a gif of it out there.

I am actually impressed.

How did anyone notice that with the crummy framerate? I swear the place where you fought Titan was a choppy hellion sort of mess.

BHZ Mayor

Honestly, this is probably one of the most pleasant and enjoyable threads on GAF. I often come here whenever Gaming and especially OT get to be too much. Thank you guys.

Noi

I just want either a proper Brave Fencer Musashi sequel or a remake before SE can go off and do whatever they want. They remixed the Skullpion track for their SQ chips album, so SOMEONE at the company still remembers the game!

Samurai Legend doesn't fucking count.

I just want either a proper Brave Fencer Musashi sequel or a remake before SE can go off and do whatever they want. They remixed the Skullpion track for their SQ chips album, so SOMEONE at the company still remembers the game!

Samurai Legend doesn't fucking count.

It'll never happen Noi.

Not now, not ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It has the greatest narrative significance, now I know what Eggman was searching for in the ruins and why he built mad gear.
No ones GotY list has Episode 2 I wager and with good cause.
And then Sonic Heroes's story happened and as loath as I am to admit it, at least it did something with Metal Sonic. Episode Metal was incredibly boring and unbalanced. It wasn't much of a lock-on game at all as advertised, and I don't know where they were going with that.

The Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Knuckles in Sonic 2 lock-on features just showed more depth with regards to the level designs or different pathways you can take with all three characters. The level design, in the cases of those games, was just demonstrative of how versatile it was.

Episode Metal by contrast is just a retread of levels from Episode 1 in an unbalanced fashion.

And, someone does have Sonic 4: Ep 2 on their GotY list.

Edit: The "Awesome" fan art thread also serves as a useful dumping ground for all of the awful Sonic fan art, helping to keep this thread clean :p
Well, even if that thread didn't exist, if someone started going overboard with it in here, I would follow through on putting a stop to it because this isn't the thread for that. Gaming side Sonic threads usually seem to go in that direction for some weird reason and I really wish they wouldn't.

As for SE, I think they're desperate. That level of pandering isn't needed in the slightest.

Honestly, this is probably one of the most pleasant and enjoyable threads on GAF. I often come here whenever Gaming and especially OT get to be too much. Thank you guys.
:D

This is truly one of my favourite threads on GAF. I do the same thing. Usually after E3, GAF gets a little crazy, so posting in here for a few weeks for the most part isn't too bad.

Hey, did we ever find out what Hunnid-P was talking about when he said he was working on a "new project" with SEGA? A lot of people thought it would be remixes for AllStars Transformed, but I don't remember any SA2 tracks from the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom