• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished my list, too. Good on all of us for supporting Dikembe Mutumbo :D

After writing a novel about my first choice, I decided to keep things concise and to the point with everything else. The character limit can be frustrating, but I think that it actually helped me out in this case.

I was originally going to forgo the image search to pretty up my post but your finished list popped up at just the right time to have me reconsider or else i'd have an unsightly wall of text right now.

I'm left with a top 9 but i'm happy with the text I managed to squeeze in for each choice, funny how after all my campaigning to get you lot to make lists with some not feeling up to it I ended up arriving last to the party anyway.

Anyway, it's done.

Quackula

I have Popful Mail coming in the uh... mail now. For those who don't know, originally Sega had planned to release the game in the US with altered graphics as a Sonic spinoff called "Sister Sonic"

With that in mind I have to ask...
...what if Sister Sonic actually came out?

I have Popful Mail coming in the uh... mail now. For those who don't know, originally Sega had planned to release the game in the US with altered graphics as a Sonic spinoff called "Sister Sonic"

With that in mind I have to ask...
...what if Sister Sonic actually came out?

original game do not steal.

Wouldn't Sister Sonic look exactly like Amy?

Looking at footage of Popful Mail they would have to change a lot of shit to make that work as Sister Sonic.

Wow, that camera is pulled in close.

Aye, someone should do more 2006 levels, maybe they could finally get something worthwhile out of that game.

I dunno if you watched the Speed Demos Archive charity stream, but there was a guy on there named Paraxade0 who speed ran Sonic 06. He's also working on a Kingdom Valley port for Sonic Generations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5b26aV7VyI

Unfortunately I missed all of the SDA stream, which sucks- I wanted to watch Awful Games Done Quick in particular. Still, I'll look up that Sonic 06 speedrun, sounds... interesting?

Unfortunately I missed all of the SDA stream, which sucks- I wanted to watch Awful Games Done Quick in particular. Still, I'll look up that Sonic 06 speedrun, sounds... interesting?
I managed to catch them doing Doom, Doom 2 and Chex Quest (albeit they forgot to load a DEH file for that last one). Really liked how they managed to go through a wall in this one map of Episode 3 (although that came to bite them in the ass, since they then wasted a minute or two trying to trigger the exit from outside the level).

I managed to catch them doing Doom, Doom 2 and Chex Quest (albeit they forgot to load a DEH file for that last one). Really liked how they managed to go through a wall in this one map of Episode 3 (although that came to bite them in the ass, since they then wasted a minute or two trying to trigger the exit from outside the level).

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/355649429?t=00h46m14s

Well, there's Sonic 06, from the Reddit AGDQ Archive thread.

He only does Silver's story, but he ends up breaking the game pretty considerably and even shows off the box trick at the end with Sonic. Is it wrong to assume I'm the one who made that "a thing"? I mean, I saw somebody else on Youtube do it, which is why I put it in my video, but I think at this point my video is where most people have seen the helicopter box, right?

I didn't play THAT many games last year actually. Kind of disappointing.

This is my problem, which is why I'm not going to post in that GOTY thread, or take part in any other formal GOTY things. I still write about the games I played for 2012, however.

TheOGB

Banned
I don't participate in the _______ of the Year threads because while I'm more than capable of dedicating a crapton of time into a well-thought out essay as some of you have, I'm afraid of dedicating too much time into a well-thought out essay as some of you have. Usually there's nothing wrong with getting wrapped up in research, but researching games, the way I would want to... my priorities would disagree. :p

Aw Dagnabit! I missed the "say a random stupid thing from a Sonic game" party!

Cause I had LOADS up my sleeve.
This sounds like a line from one of the games :p

I finally decided to go ahead and try to beat SA2HD again because I'm boread.

I must admit, the art direction on the Ark is actually really cool.

well that just happened

xROfP.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
well that just happened

xROfP.jpg

The Skies of Arcadia level is the glitchiest, it seems...I've had problems multiple times during the part where you switch from plane to car, it sends me flying off, than respawns me in mid-air and I fly off once more.

That and the Sonic Colors level. :/

The Skies of Arcadia level is the glitchiest, it seems...I've had problems multiple times during the part where you switch from plane to car, it sends me flying off, than respawns me in mid-air and I fly off once more.

That and the Sonic Colors level. :/

Thankfully I haven't had too many issues like that, although I hit a dodgy jump on the Golden Axe level and flew through a wall into nothingness, took a while to respawn too, that was fun.

Got to drive as the jet for a bit, boosting still works but there's no "sparks" for it, and once I did the air section and went through the plane>car ring it went back to the Hornet. Still, fun whilst it lasted :lol

Agreed on the Skies of Arcadia stage...hella glitchy. Which is a shame because it's kinda a cool stage.

Samba stage is still the best one for me.

qq more

That level never glitched me on me but the Sonic Colors one did that one time. I fell off right after transforming and then respawned in a pit and die over and over and over until the race ended.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I started running into a glitch in the Skies level myself, so that kind of diminished the game a little. It's a shame, though, because I love the Skies stage, and I thought the game was one of the best racers I've played this generation (and I don't take too kindly to the genre in the first place).

I got my copy of the Sonic book. It's really pretty. It's too cold to handle right now because it was sitting in -20C temperature for a while, so I'm just gonna warm it up. I flipped through it a little, and I like the formatting a lot.

Everyone should get a copy if they can! :O

Whoa, how did they manage to make the level better? NO LOADING SCREENS.

Port the entire game over. Leave the shitty cutscenes out of it. And uh, leave the bits where you have to carry Elise out, too. Isn't the sand in Dusty Desert just water with a sand appearance anyway?

Of course if your HM stuff is still kicking around feel free to drop them in here for everyone's viewing pleasure.
I probably might. I have them saved in the doc before I deleted stuff on the GAF posting thingy. That is, if people are interested/care. The top four entries were supposed to be much longer than it was in that post (and I think you can tell because of how abruptly they ended, but I wanted to be fair to the other stuff I voted on my list too.

I am happy that I threw a vote to Dikembe Mutombo, though, and I'm glad to see other people did it as well. It really was one of the better games I played this year... which probably says something. :lol

I want that to be a downloadable game one day. :(((((((

Gotta say, I didn't expect to see Hakuoki in there. Went back to add it to my own honorable mentions cause I forgot that came out this year and I had a lot of fun with it. I should get back to it and do more than go down Hijikata's route sometime though...

I also need to play GL4, but I want to play and beat 2 and 3 first. I'm so lazy about pulling out and hooking up my PS2 though.
I think 2 and 3 aren't too much to my liking. There are some nice aspects in 2, but I just like 1 and 4 a lot more. If you feel like skipping over Generations to go for the PSP game, there isn't much harm in doing so.

As for Hakuoki, I'm so happy that Aksys ended up bringing it over here. I had a friend who'd imported the Japanese games and she loved it to death. I take issue with how they localized Hijikata's route, but otherwise, I thought it was really well-done. I hope the otome genre experiment they conducted was a success because I'd love to see more otome games in the west. Hakuoki's probably the best one to localize because it isn't necessarily genre-specific in terms of the themes of the narrative, I felt. I wrote better impressions in the OT (or you can check out the same review on Giant Bomb and that one has pictures) if you feel like checking. They're pretty thorough.

I don't have a GotY.

Sorry, but I just don't!
I don't really either. My #1 is there just for the sake of being there. I probably should've been like Stump and just talked about whatever I played this year. It would've been loaded with AC2, AC:B, Sora no Kiseki the 3rd, Soul Bubbles, and a few other older games.

This is my problem, which is why I'm not going to post in that GOTY thread, or take part in any other formal GOTY things. I still write about the games I played for 2012, however.
Bah, this is a good idea too. :(

Is Back to the Future The Game really not that good?

I got the History of Sonic book earlier this week, haven't dug in much so far, it's my late night reading material.

I probably might. I have them saved in the doc before I deleted stuff on the GAF posting thingy. That is, if people are interested/care. The top four entries were supposed to be much longer than it was in that post (and I think you can tell because of how abruptly they ended, but I wanted to be fair to the other stuff I voted on my list too.

I now know this pain of reaching the limit, though really when I look at how much I wrote last year compared to this one it surprises me.

Sciz

Is Back to the Future The Game really not that good?
The puzzling's pretty weak even by Telltale's standards (which is probably intentional; don't want the general public getting stuck), but as a chance to revisit the characters and universe, it's quite enjoyable. Easily the best iteration of BttF we're going to see outside of the movies.

Nert

The more I think about it (having just wrapped up 2012 ____ of the year stuff), the more I'm seeing 2011 as one of the all time greatest years in gaming. Off the top of my head, all of these came out then:

UMvC3
Super Mario 3D Land
Rayman Origins
Bastion
The Binding Isaac
Sonic Generations
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Batman: Arkham City
Ghost Trick
Child of Eden
Bulletstorm
Portal 2
Outland
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Pushmo
Dark Souls
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Xenoblade Chronicles
Terraria
Radiant Historia
SpaceChem

And probably a dozen other great games that I'm forgetting. The sheer quality and variety there is staggering. I'm not surprised that 2012 wasn't able to live up to that for a lot of people.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That level never glitched me on me but the Sonic Colors one did that one time. I fell off right after transforming and then respawned in a pit and die over and over and over until the race ended.

Yeah, I had that issue too...I think it has to do with how the race track forms in that level as you go.

Even when it doesn't outright glitch, it always seems to put me right on the edge so I fly off as soon as I respawn..

The more I think about it (having just wrapped up 2012 ____ of the year stuff), the more I'm seeing 2011 as one of the all time greatest years in gaming. Off the top of my head, all of these came out then:

*list of greatness*

And probably a dozen other games that I'm forgetting. The sheer quality and variety there is staggering. I'm not surprised that 2012 wasn't able to live up to that for a lot of people.

I'd also say that on top of that 2010 was a really good year as well, in fact I might have liked it a lot more.
Some people say that 2012 was weaker because of AAA titles not reaching their standards but I don't much care for most titles considered AAA, really I just think 2012 just outright was weaker, I certainly can't see this years pack leaders standing quite as tall if they were part of 2011/2010.

2013 looks pretty sweet already though and that's only knowing what's in the first 2 quarters.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You're good people, Blaze. (I'm gonna call you that because I ceeb to type your whole name and calling you "Sega" seems weird)
I've been thinking of doing this too for a while now. I just didn't think of doing it because it'd probably lead to confusion.

Screw it, we all know who he is considering he uses the name everywhere else. :p

The puzzling's pretty weak even by Telltale's standards (which is probably intentional; don't want the general public getting stuck), but as a chance to revisit the characters and universe, it's quite enjoyable. Easily the best iteration of BttF we're going to see outside of the movies.
Oh, that's unfortunate, but I guess it can't be helped. It's too bad, because throwing in challenging puzzles every now and then isn't a bad idea even if it's supposed to be intended for a wider audience. I'm not really a fan of this sort of "we have to dumb down the game because the audience is wider" mechanic. I actually like how Nintendo does that: make it hard--if people can do it at that difficulty, then that's fine. If people have issues, use the hint system. Ah well.

Well, I'll still check it out. The retail version isn't super-pricey.

I now know this pain of reaching the limit, though really when I look at how much I wrote last year compared to this one it surprises me.
I feel like I was able to write more last year. My list post this year just seems much shorter.

You all need some Rocko's Modern Life in your world.
That show was great.

The more I think about it (having just wrapped up 2012 ____ of the year stuff), the more I'm seeing 2011 as one of the all time greatest years in gaming.

*snip*

And probably a dozen other games that I'm forgetting. The sheer quality and variety there is staggering. I'm not surprised that 2012 wasn't able to live up to that for a lot of people.
I'd also argue for 2010. I came up with 20 games that I liked a lot that year. Compared to 2011 and 2010, 2012 was just dull. Those years had a lot of utterly colourful games, too.

It's just amazing that 2012 was the year for indie or interactive games rather than the bigger-budget games. My list ended up being incredibly unexpected for me in that I put a lot of the bigger stuff in my honourable mentions.

2013 looks kinda... I don't even know what's coming out this year.

Grand Theft Auto V
Bioshock Infinite
The Last Of Us
Yakuza 5 (probably)
Injustice: Gods Amongst Us
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Pokemon X and Y

The second half of the year is a blank.

Pretty excited about the Last of Us, if done right it could be really good.

I don't know what else to look forward to. I got nuthin' right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah. Those games. Is Watch Dogs coming out in 2013 or is that a next gen thing?

I think I'm interested in...
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Ni no Kuni
-Hakuoki Musou
-Sen no Kiseki
-Etrian Odyssey IV
-Soul Hackers
-Neptunia V

undecided:
-MGS: Revengeance
-Yakuza 5
-Rayman Legends (because then I'd have to get a Wii U)
-Atelier Ayesha

lol because the demo wasn't good:
-Tales of Hearts R

*New Sonic game in 2013. I can feel it, man.

As for DmC... um... the aerials are really nice and improved over DMC3/4. I feel like the art kind of gets in the way of what you're doing because sometimes it's hard to see some stuff. I'm just speaking for the demo, though. I don't know if I'm going to buy the game.

Raiden's alright. Not great in MGS2, fine since.

Oh yeah. Those games. Is Watch Dogs coming out in 2013 or is that a next gen thing?

It's Ubisoft's big next-gen thing, so I'd expect delays. I'm sure they'd love it to come out as the Nextbox launches this Christmas, but what Yves wants, Yves doesn't always get.

Raiden isn't that bad.

I haven't played the demo of Revengeance yet and I haven't really been keeping up with it so I don't know much about it.
Raiden is bloody awful, did you not see that one trailer where he's driving down the road croaking away about how much of a boner he gets over killing dudes?

Dammit Owl, he was the LIGHTNING in that rain!
IT EVEN RAINED ON THE DAY HE WAS BORN, BOO FUCKIN' HOO!

Raiden's alright. Not great in MGS2, fine since.
You mean when he went from some guy into being more Poochie than shadow the Hedgehog?

Nert

Now that I think about it, I don't think I'm excited about a single 2013 game thus far. Huh.

I don't have a PS3, a Vita, a Wii U, or a 3DS, so I guess I'm only looking forward to BioShock Infinite right now. But hey, I could actually use the time to work through my backlog and wrap this generation up. I still have to finish FF V and start up FF VI after that, too.

They should take Big the Cat right, and turn him into Metal Big that runs on chaos energy, after the death of his best friend Froggy Big is no longer laid back, he's a rage fuelled fishing machine that casts his energy rod straight into the hearts of enemy robots pulling out their power core which he proceeds to devour.
He surpasses Shadow's damn quota and sometimes says heck or even hell.

This is a guaranteed way to get the fans to like him again!

I know the exact people who liked Big.

all two of 'em?

I'm already more excited about Revengeance than just about anything in 2012. My top 3 consist of games I had no intention of playing(Mark of the Ninja, The Walking Dead, Journey), so something might surprise me. I think it's gonna be a good year. Hell, even DmC turned out to be better than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom