• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario ff

Banned
Welcome. Professor Beef is the dictator founder of the thread, feel free to ask him anything.
I'm already aware of Beef's Nocturne ways... I keep linking Chimera to that stuff.

Oh wow! Welcome, glad to have you here! I've been very impressed with the stuff you guys have been doing and I can't wait to see more.

Also, if you can, please tell Falk I love his stuff. :D
Thanks! I believe I've told Falk about this thread some times before IIRC, since you guys seemed pretty excited about his remixes. I've been actually using my entire summer break to get this thing finished, hopefully it won't be much longer(there's 1 month before I go back into exams, so I have plenty of motivation :p).

Some times I just want to casually talk, but Retro seems to have dried out too many topics already and it doesn't seem like they can stand talking about the same stuff again. I think I prefer these kind of threads more.

I'd just like to say Dario that the Unleashed mod's you've given us a taste for so far have been excellent. Admittedly not terribly fond of the original game but playing it at 60fps and in a better game engine has made them worth playing through again.

Have you decided whether you'll go through with making night-time stages for classic Sonic? Or was that just a proof-of-concept thing in the last Dragon Road demo?

Dario ff

Banned
Have you decided whether you'll go through with making night-time stages for classic Sonic? Or was that just a proof-of-concept thing in the last Dragon Road demo?

It was just a proof of concept to fool around with. It was just beyond the scope of what I wanted to do, and reworking it into something playable(let alone enjoyable) would just take too much time that could be spent on better things.

Obviously everyone'll be able to do it on their own after we release our stuff. We just want to release this at a sensible time while it's still relevant. Even without doing the extra acts or DLC acts it's still taking us a long time to ensure the thing's polished and accurate enough.

The only thing I'm not happy about with the mod so far is the extra hardware requirements(due to Unleashed just pushing way more stuff into the screen at most times and Generations not handling it nicely), and some unstability here and there due to just how the game works. There's not much you can do about that, since the thing just crashes on its own even without any modifications at random times. Hopefully people won't mind much of that, but it's still going to be a few annoying reports to read through.

And for anyone wondering about the time taken well... no serious work actually started probably until the Dragon Road demo, so I'd say for 6-7 months of work just on our free time we're doing pretty alright.

Metroid Prime is still a friggin' awesome game you guys

Like, I knew this when I first played it in 2002, but replaying it through Trilogy, and oh my God it's still amazing even though I know everything that's coming

I really hope Nintendo and Retro do a Prime 4 for the Wii U, or at least a Prime-in-all-but-name game, because, well, wow has this held up well

Oh, and hi to SonicGAF for anyone who knows me! I've been lurking this thread for a while, but only recently got approved.
Somehow I accurately guessed that we might have lurkers, like, what, a month ago? I'd actually assumed we didn't. Consider me pleasantly surprised.

I go back and forth on it. I feel like it has pacing issues, and about halfway through the season it sort of feels like the budget drops out a bit - I ran in to a handful of bugs that didn't really interfere with the game itself, but were definitely people animating in ways they shouldn't and objects being in places they did not belong. Like Sciz said, it's a better story than it is a game; I came away from the ending feeling satisfied, but not because of the gameplay. I actually wrote out a summary of the game's entire narrative here because I had friends who quit halfway through the season and didn't want to go back to it (they actually felt it was that much of a chore to play). A good 50% of that post is stuff exclusive to the fifth and final episode, because I wrote it right after finishing the season and it started out as a summary of the last two episodes and then I worked backwards to add stuff about the first three.

Not sayin' it's required reading or anything, but it's there if anyone wants it.
Oh, yes, the plot's definitely the main attraction here. Frankly, I thought it was a compelling enough follow-up to the films to make the whole thing worth it, but that's me.

I should probably just have a mod change it. The only reason I picked Sega1991 is because there used to be a guy who posted here - I don't know how many people remember him, but he originally went under the name "Luckett". He was banned and re-registered under the name "Wurm", and one of his friends who was also on GAF at the time let it slip that he was Luckett, so his ban was reinstated and he re-re-registered under the name "SecretBonusPoint".

Luckett/Wurm/SecretBonusPoint and I have a "history" - let's just say we used to be good friends and he hates me now and at least as far as I am concerned he probably has a good reason to hate me for it. But he's also the kind of person whom revels in being a troll and can be sort of insufferable to be around under the right circumstances (as one may ascertain based on his ban history, given they were all apparently permabans).

Point is - I registered Sega1991 because I knew he was here and I was trying to avoid any inevitable confrontation. Which did eventually happen, incidentally, after he figured me out - and once the "same old shit" started in again, I basically outed him as SecretBonusPoint. While he could have very well registered under a fourth name, keeping the name Sega1991 at this point is probably moot.

I'm just too lazy to track down a mod of the appropriate status and actually get the job done.
Hrmm, I actually vaguely know of Luckett - wasn't he the Waffle X guy? Never interacted with him, though. Sounds like I'm better off for it.

Yeah, at this point, I don't think I'm going to pick up Lightning Returns day 1. We'll see what happens between now and Fall, but that game doesn't seem like it's going to be what I want. I'm not interested anymore. It's gonna be so weird, though, not picking up a Final Fantasy game day 1.
Sounds like me and the first time I didn't buy a Sonic game at launch. I think that was actually out of necessity at the time - I didn't have the funds for Heroes on day one - but then the impressions started coming out from hardcore fans, and they were not impressed, despite the hype having been blown through the roof. That led me to rent it instead, and, well, glad I did; saved me a considerable amount of money, because that game... wasn't good. I tried to tell myself "this has great ideas, but there are some things wrong with it"; hell, I think I even compiled them, ran them through Babelfish and e-mailed them to Sonic Team (they didn't reply, thankfully). But looking back on it, no. Just wasn't good.

tumblr_mgvijkwMpq1qed41xo1_400.gif
Sanford Kong gets his revenge

Sciz

Some times I just want to casually talk, but Retro seems to have dried out too many topics already and it doesn't seem like they can stand talking about the same stuff again. I think I prefer these kind of threads more.

This thread basically exists because every other Sonic thread on GAF consisted of some discussion of the actual topic on hand and then a bunch of us endlessly retreading the same general franchise discussions. We'll squeeze more pages out of anything.

Sonic Adventure 3: The Revengeance of Baldy McNoseHair
This is... probably a good thing. A, it'll be miles better than the prior two Adventures, and B, the super minimalism of Generations didn't seem to suit him well.

edit: holy shit, he's writing for the new Pac-Man show too? Dunno if I'm more/suddenly interested or afraid

pacman_full8lqbt.png

pacman_midcujnt.png

pacman_bigzgkzg.png

qq more

This thread basically exists because every other Sonic thread on GAF consisted of some discussion of the actual topic on hand and then a bunch of us endlessly retreading the same general franchise discussions. We'll squeeze more pages out of anything.

I also love that we don't have to deal with people shitting on Sonic fans (even though they're right that the majority of the fandom IS terrible) and creepy fanart.

Noi

You guys are the worst, I don't even know why I post here.

My mornings become a little brighter whenever I see a new SonicGAF post in my subs page.

I think those Sonic Generations/Colors guys can be good if they're given space to write. They got a solid grasp on the characterization, self-aware with the history, have the ability to be actually funny. They just got to get out of the minimal, kid-oriented shit they've been stuck in.

Noi

I know it's not an either/or binary choice, but I'll take 50 "kiddy" plot games like Colors over the polar opposite ('06, Shadow, parts of Adventure 1&2).

I know it's not an either/or binary choice, but I'll take 50 "kiddy" plot games like Colors over the polar opposite ('06, Shadow, parts of Adventure 1&2).

I'll take more stories like E-102's.

Which was shockingly well told considering everything else in that game.

Ending made me feel feelings dammit.

TheOGB

Banned
I really liked how Colors' story progressed, probably my favorite the series as far as that goes.

I'm glad Ken Pontac and Warren Graff are on board now but I really messed myself up when I made the comparison to Johnny Test. :I

Seriously, I'll just take the natural sounding dialog from native-English speakers at this point. I don't ask for much with Sonic.

Also, the current batch are of VAs have my favorite Sonic and Tails voices.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm just glad we don't have a lot of in-fighting in this thread.

I like to pointedly say in the FF threads that the Sonic and FF (and KH) fanbases are remarkably similar, but sheesh, if we fought as much as the people in the FF threads fought, I wouldn't like this thread as much.

Thanks! I believe I've told Falk about this thread some times before IIRC, since you guys seemed pretty excited about his remixes. I've been actually using my entire summer break to get this thing finished, hopefully it won't be much longer(there's 1 month before I go back into exams, so I have plenty of motivation :p).

Well, whenever Falk starts up anything new, I'll always be up to hear it. He's very creative. And blah, I'm so envious. I wish it could be summer all the time here. :(

If you feel like bringing whatever you want to talk about up, just do it. I know the thread runs cycles rather often, but eh, that's the point of a community thread... and maybe there's something new that people want to discuss in terms of the topic at hand.

And for anyone wondering about the time taken well... no serious work actually started probably until the Dragon Road demo, so I'd say for 6-7 months of work just on our free time we're doing pretty alright.
Still, I'm impressed with the level of work you've all gotten done in that timeframe--compositions, porting levels in, analyzing what works and what probably won't, seeing if Generations will be stable with it, etc. The PC version of the game was incredibly beneficial, and fans could make all the DLC they want for it in terms of mods.

Sounds like me and the first time I didn't buy a Sonic game at launch. I think that was actually out of necessity at the time - I didn't have the funds for Heroes on day one - but then the impressions started coming out from hardcore fans, and they were not impressed, despite the hype having been blown through the roof. That led me to rent it instead, and, well, glad I did; saved me a considerable amount of money, because that game... wasn't good. I tried to tell myself "this has great ideas, but there are some things wrong with it"; hell, I think I even compiled them, ran them through Babelfish and e-mailed them to Sonic Team (they didn't reply, thankfully). But looking back on it, no. Just wasn't good.
Really? Damn, you went above and beyond. Even I don't think I'd send something conveying my annoyance to SE or some other company explaining my dissatisfaction with the series, especially given that I doubt they'd give a shit considering how their PR events go.

This is... probably a good thing. A, it'll be miles better than the prior two Adventures, and B, the super minimalism of Generations didn't seem to suit him well.
I completely agree with that, actually, even if I don't like the Adventure-style games (and I say this while I love Unleashed, lol). Because the Adventure games emphasize the narrative, he has far more room for a better script. Though I don't know whether or not Sega / the game's director has the final say in the storyboard or what happens, even if it's completely absurd. Well, they likely do considering how Generations turned out.

Generations felt like it was supposed to have more and had so much potential, but then it was rushed towards the end. His writing was almost wasted on it outside of some of the wittier lines (ex: the "your future's going to be great" line which I'm sure was tongue-in-cheek).

I also love that we don't have to deal with people shitting on Sonic fans (even though they're right that the majority of the fandom IS terrible) and creepy fanart.
That's really why I was supporting a community thread in the first place. I got tired of some of gaming side's shit.

I was talking about how this thread would get one of the creepy Sonic fans, probably just to troll us.

That LR thread exists for our amusement.

TheOGB

Banned
Also, the current batch are of VAs have my favorite Sonic and Tails voices.
Agreed. Griffith unfortunately got the boot right when he hit his stride, but then again WOOOOOAAAAAAUUGGHHH, HUUHYEAAAHHHHHHH, ELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSEEE

my god, what a horrible string of quotes to use o_o

I wonder if any of those bugs got patched since then? Well, even if it doesn't end up being the game I expect to play, I can probably find it on the cheap and see whether or not I'll think it's okay. And if I don't like the game side of things, I'll just check that summary out.

Thanks for the info, Blaze. I genuinely appreciate it. Nice to hear that the VA and narrative are at least decent.

Really doubt they got patched. I mean, I only finished BTTF nine months ago, and even by those standards it was already almost a year old at that point. Telltale is a very fast moving company and does not often look back on fixing old releases. They won't even let other people do it, from what I've heard - they specifically request fans do not reverse-engineer their tech.

Is that so... that's certainly some dramarama there. I guess it's understandable, but since most of us know you as Blaze as this point (and I guess that some portions of GAF might be less hostile now than they used to be? I honestly can't remember; I just started reading the site since late 2008 or something), I don't think there's any point to keeping the name anymore. >.>

Well, you can PM any mod with regards to this kinda stuff, I think, even if they're not on the admin side of things. Just gotta come up with a tag that still points to you being formerly Sega1991, only witty.

Well I also kind of worry about the name "BlazeHedgehog" around these parts because more than even Sega1991 I feel like it would make my opinions easy to type cast by those who don't know me. Sonic fans are not viewed well outside of this thread.

Hrmm, I actually vaguely know of Luckett - wasn't he the Waffle X guy? Never interacted with him, though. Sounds like I'm better off for it.

Correct!

Honestly I probably shouldn't paint too negative of a picture of him - he just had a bit of a chip on his shoulder and almost seemed to enjoy being angry at things. And when I was supposed to do something for him and didn't, well, he had plenty to enjoy being angry at.

I've heard he's mellowed out but I think it was just last year I heard he got banned from SomethingAwful for whining at Pokecapn in one of his Sonic LP threads.

I always liked Shadow's aesthetic, but that whole brood brood brood "I'm a badass" shtick got old fast. He always moved really cool thanks to those rollerblades, and that's what I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom