• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like Big the character, but I don't like his gameplay. For me, there's something to be said about an average joe who has no real super powers or anything (at least at the time) and does whatever for his companion, even stand up to something like Chaos.

FRAWGEE, WERE DIDJA GOoOO!

Is Back to the Future The Game really not that good?
Actually, I thought it was excellent. Wasn't really playing it for the puzzles, though, I just really like Back to the Future.

I find it kinda funny how their soundalike Michael J. Fox sounds better than
the real Michael J. Fox
when he shows up - and he doesn't even sound spot-on!

Noi

Back to the Future isn't that great, but at least it's better than the Jurassic Park game. God damn that was awful.

I think 2 and 3 aren't too much to my liking. There are some nice aspects in 2, but I just like 1 and 4 a lot more. If you feel like skipping over Generations to go for the PSP game, there isn't much harm in doing so.

As for Hakuoki, I'm so happy that Aksys ended up bringing it over here. I had a friend who'd imported the Japanese games and she loved it to death. I take issue with how they localized Hijikata's route, but otherwise, I thought it was really well-done. I hope the otome genre experiment they conducted was a success because I'd love to see more otome games in the west. Hakuoki's probably the best one to localize because it isn't necessarily genre-specific in terms of the themes of the narrative, I felt. I wrote better impressions in the OT (or you can check out the same review on Giant Bomb and that one has pictures) if you feel like checking. They're pretty thorough.

I wouldn't even have an issue with skipping 2 and 3 if I didn't own them already. I got lucky and found a complete copy cheap at a local store, so I'd feel bad if I didn't at least try to play them. :lol

I honestly have no idea what Hakuoki musou is like, but I'm interested in it just because I already know the characters involved. Wish it had online play or something, but I shouldn't expect much from an Idea Factory PSP game. Aksys is probably my favorite localization team, they may not do as many as XSeed, but god damn do they pick some oddball games. I'm still happy that they brought over Fate/Extra when they did.

Didn't bother with the Jurassic Park game. I've only ever watched the first film (and really late, too; like, 2007 late), and while it was a good watch, I wasn't enamored with it, so I don't think I'm really the target audience. Likewise skipped The Walking Dead, because I'm not really looking for a violent adventure game right now, even if the writing is apparently ace.

Am looking forward to seeing what they'll do with King's Quest, though. We can only hope it will involve Jollo.

Noi

I've never seen any of the Back to the Future movies (don't shoot me) but still found the games kinda enjoyable. Jurassic Park is just awful though, even if you have. It started the incredibly dumb design decision of theirs to not allow dialogue skipping of any kind, which didn't bother me that much in Walking Dead, but makes parts of Jurassic Park a pain in the ass considering the game actually ranks you during it's action sequences.

TheOGB

Banned
Rocko was great. So was Ren & Stimpy. Powdered Toast Man. That is all.

REVENGEANCE!! 2013 will be the year of Platinum for me. Anarchy Reigns is damn good fun already, I'm finally gonna catch up with Bayonetta and Vanquish sometime soon, and then Revengeance shall be mine. Probably won't have a Wii U anytime soon, but I hope Wonderful 101 goes well for them. Dunno when Bayo2 is happening but I doubt this year.

MY METAL GEAR IS RISING
and maybe I should finish MGS2 and 3 :p

fake edit: Also POKEYMANS AND RAMAN

Noi

I'm into 2013 for God of War, Rising, Hakuoki Musou, Hokuto Musou 2, EDF4, FFXIV, Rune Factory 4 and Ys Celcetta. Anything else is a cherry on top.

If RF4 and Ys don't happen this year I will murder someone.

-playing as Reala on the new Samba de Amigo track
-go all-star
-all-star ends on water section, on a ramp
-game thinks I'm on land and transforms back into a car
-cue eternal loop of car respawning and sinking into water

fuck this game

qq more

-go all-star

fuck this game
What version is this? I don't encounter bugs very often... only encountered maybe 1 or 2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, at this point, I don't think I'm going to pick up Lightning Returns day 1. We'll see what happens between now and Fall, but that game doesn't seem like it's going to be what I want. I'm not interested anymore. It's gonna be so weird, though, not picking up a Final Fantasy game day 1.

I think I might pick up BTTF and see how I feel about it myself.

Oh yeah, I wanted to pick up PSO2 somehow too! I hope Sega brings over both the PC and Vita versions. Sega, plz. ;___;

I honestly have no idea what Hakuoki musou is like, but I'm interested in it just because I already know the characters involved. Wish it had online play or something, but I shouldn't expect much from an Idea Factory PSP game. Aksys is probably my favorite localization team, they may not do as many as XSeed, but god damn do they pick some oddball games. I'm still happy that they brought over Fate/Extra when they did.
I read a few reviews for it (Bakumatsu Musouroku: 幕末無双録), but since there are only 2 reviews on mk2 and those two reviews read like complete polar opposites of each other, I have to try the game for myself. I don't get along with Idea Factory games that often, but I have to say that they do well with visual novels.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised Aksys didn't pick up Reimeiroku Nagorigusa (the prequel to the original where you play as a dude and accumulate friendship points) or the Hakuoki fandisk for the first game (which I'm told is good). Ah well. I like Aksys a lot! They go above and beyond for their fans (ex: the Canadian Fate/Extra preorder bonus issue and getting in contact with Gamestop Canada to send everyone who ordered from them a book free of charge), and it also helps that their PR people/editors are nice as well. They sure do pick some odd stuff, but I like seeing that it pays off for them. I think they do quite well with VNs, so popularizing the genre in the west isn't such a bad idea.

I like Big the character, but I don't like his gameplay. For me, there's something to be said about an average joe who has no real super powers or anything (at least at the time) and does whatever for his companion, even stand up to something like Chaos.

FRAWGEE, WERE DIDJA GOoOO!
When you look at it this way, Big doesn't seem like he's that bad. His lines are usually funny in terms of how they're uttered.

But man, his gameplay was terrrrrrrrrrrible. I'm guessing that Sega retired him just for that aspect? Did people just not like Big in general?

You know what? Big should've just been the Snuffleupagus of Sonic. It would've fit somehow.

-go all-star

fuck this game
What? :lol :lol

I've been playing the PS3 version and outside of a few hiccups and interesting bugs, that hasn't happened to me (yet).

What? :lol :lol

I've been playing the PS3 version and outside of a few hiccups and interesting bugs, that hasn't happened to me (yet).

I think Reala's All-Star just handles transitions really poorly- taking the early boat>plane ramp on the After-Burner stage made the camera pull reaaaally close to Reala when it transformed back into a plane. Either that or the plane was really really big. I couldn't tell. :lol

Yeah, at this point, I don't think I'm going to pick up Lightning Returns day 1. We'll see what happens between now and Fall, but that game doesn't seem like it's going to be what I want. I'm not interested anymore. It's gonna be so weird, though, not picking up a Final Fantasy game day 1.

This is me and Halo now. That series has gone down a path I can't follow. /padme

Is Back to the Future The Game really not that good?

I go back and forth on it. I feel like it has pacing issues, and about halfway through the season it sort of feels like the budget drops out a bit - I ran in to a handful of bugs that didn't really interfere with the game itself, but were definitely people animating in ways they shouldn't and objects being in places they did not belong. Like Sciz said, it's a better story than it is a game; I came away from the ending feeling satisfied, but not because of the gameplay. I actually wrote out a summary of the game's entire narrative here because I had friends who quit halfway through the season and didn't want to go back to it (they actually felt it was that much of a chore to play). A good 50% of that post is stuff exclusive to the fifth and final episode, because I wrote it right after finishing the season and it started out as a summary of the last two episodes and then I worked backwards to add stuff about the first three.

Not sayin' it's required reading or anything, but it's there if anyone wants it.

You're good people, Blaze. (I'm gonna call you that because I ceeb to type your whole name and calling you "Sega" seems weird)
Honestly, even if he's "Sega1991" here, he's still "BlazeHedgehog" to me just because it's what I know him as everywhere else...
I've been thinking of doing this too for a while now. I just didn't think of doing it because it'd probably lead to confusion.

Screw it, we all know who he is considering he uses the name everywhere else. :p

I should probably just have a mod change it. The only reason I picked Sega1991 is because there used to be a guy who posted here - I don't know how many people remember him, but he originally went under the name "Luckett". He was banned and re-registered under the name "Wurm", and one of his friends who was also on GAF at the time let it slip that he was Luckett, so his ban was reinstated and he re-re-registered under the name "SecretBonusPoint".

Luckett/Wurm/SecretBonusPoint and I have a "history" - let's just say we used to be good friends and he hates me now and at least as far as I am concerned he probably has a good reason to hate me for it. But he's also the kind of person whom revels in being a troll and can be sort of insufferable to be around under the right circumstances (as one may ascertain based on his ban history, given they were all apparently permabans).

Point is - I registered Sega1991 because I knew he was here and I was trying to avoid any inevitable confrontation. Which did eventually happen, incidentally, after he figured me out - and once the "same old shit" started in again, I basically outed him as SecretBonusPoint. While he could have very well registered under a fourth name, keeping the name Sega1991 at this point is probably moot.

I'm just too lazy to track down a mod of the appropriate status and actually get the job done.

-go all-star

fuck this game

I think this is a problem specific to NiGHTS and Reala - I've seen other videos of the "didn't transform correctly" bug, and it's usually been with NiGHTS.

Nothing beats that time I was playing over Xbox Live on the Race of Ages track, though. It was the mode where you turn in to a ghost if you get hit too many times - I was playing as Ages, was a ghost and I hit the part of the track where you're supposed to turn in to a jet for that big vertical shaft.

I didn't turn in to a jet - I stayed as a car, and went sailing off in to the ether as if gravity was still pulling me down towards the road. Car mode apparently has separate collision data than jet mode, so I fell right through the map out in to the skybox, beyond the fog barrier at the edge of the skybox, and out in to the flickering red void of shader corruption where there are no textures. I fell for close to a full minute before it eventually put me back on the track, and by that point everybody else had finished the race and I was more than half a lap behind.

It was very, very strange.

Just preordered Racing Transformed on Steam. Anyone else here who's picking it up on the PC? Timezones might make things awkward but it should still be fun to race you guys.

Dario ff

Banned
Just preordered Racing Transformed on Steam. Anyone else here who's picking it up on the PC? Timezones might make things awkward but it should still be fun to race you guys.

I will after the first days of February, I need to wait to see if I get paid by then. Hopefully we'll have enough people to have fun before the online goes dead(I've heard the Wii U one already kinda is).

Oh, and hi to SonicGAF for anyone who knows me! I've been lurking this thread for a while, but only recently got approved.

qq more

I will after the first days of February, I need to wait to see if I get paid by then. Hopefully we'll have enough people to have fun before the online goes dead(I've heard the Wii U one already kinda is).

Oh, and hi to SonicGAF for anyone who knows me! I've been lurking this thread for a while, but only recently got approved.
Welcome to SonicGAF!

(Great work on the Unleashed Generations project!)

BlackJace

Welcome. Professor Beef is the dictator founder of the thread, feel free to ask him anything.

s2z4a1.jpg

I think that's the only zone in Sonic 2 that I ever come close to failing that 10:00 mark. Must acquire ALL the points!

Kokonoe

Banned
PS3. To be fair, those are the only two I've really had. And the first one was awesome, ha.

I've had these issues and a few others have on the Wii U and 360 versions in the Sonic Racing thread. The game is kinda rushed, but it just mainly happens to me during transformations.

When you look at it this way, Big doesn't seem like he's that bad. His lines are usually funny in terms of how they're uttered.

But man, his gameplay was terrrrrrrrrrrible. I'm guessing that Sega retired him just for that aspect? Did people just not like Big in general?

You know what? Big should've just been the Snuffleupagus of Sonic. It would've fit somehow.

I'm not quite sure what Snuffleupagus is! but I have a feeling the reason Big didn't have too many fans is that the only time he had gameplay was during Adventure and it was just a lackluster fishing game. So, that stigma alone I believe is why, and maybe because he's not a 'cool' character like most of the other Sonic characters. There really is nothing wrong with him that I can point out, he's just a slowish jungle cat that says/does goofy things.

Needs a "deal with it" caption.

qq more

Just when you think you've seen it all :lol

I'm not quite usre what Snuffleupagus is! but I have a feeling the reason Big didn't have too many fans is that the only time he had gameplay was during Adventure and it was just a lackluster fishing game. So, that stigma alone I believe is why, and maybe because he's not a 'cool' character like most of the other Sonic characters. There really is nothing wrong with him that I can point out, he's just a slowish jungle cat that says/does goofy things.
Big should get his own game just for kicks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh wow! Welcome, glad to have you here! I've been very impressed with the stuff you guys have been doing and I can't wait to see more.

Also, if you can, please tell Falk I love his stuff. :D

I go back and forth on it. I feel like it has pacing issues, and about halfway through the season it sort of feels like the budget drops out a bit - I ran in to a handful of bugs that didn't really interfere with the game itself, but were definitely people animating in ways they shouldn't and objects being in places they did not belong. Like Sciz said, it's a better story than it is a game; I came away from the ending feeling satisfied, but not because of the gameplay. I actually wrote out a summary of the game's entire narrative here because I had friends who quit halfway through the season and didn't want to go back to it (they actually felt it was that much of a chore to play). A good 50% of that post is stuff exclusive to the fifth and final episode, because I wrote it right after finishing the season and it started out as a summary of the last two episodes and then I worked backwards to add stuff about the first three.

Not sayin' it's required reading or anything, but it's there if anyone wants it.
I wonder if any of those bugs got patched since then? Well, even if it doesn't end up being the game I expect to play, I can probably find it on the cheap and see whether or not I'll think it's okay. And if I don't like the game side of things, I'll just check that summary out.

Thanks for the info, Blaze. I genuinely appreciate it. Nice to hear that the VA and narrative are at least decent.

Point is - I registered Sega1991 because I knew he was here and I was trying to avoid any inevitable confrontation. Which did eventually happen, incidentally, after he figured me out - and once the "same old shit" started in again, I basically outed him as SecretBonusPoint. While he could have very well registered under a fourth name, keeping the name Sega1991 at this point is probably moot.

I'm just too lazy to track down a mod of the appropriate status and actually get the job done.
Is that so... that's certainly some dramarama there. I guess it's understandable, but since most of us know you as Blaze as this point (and I guess that some portions of GAF might be less hostile now than they used to be? I honestly can't remember; I just started reading the site since late 2008 or something), I don't think there's any point to keeping the name anymore. >.>

Well, you can PM any mod with regards to this kinda stuff, I think, even if they're not on the admin side of things. Just gotta come up with a tag that still points to you being formerly Sega1991, only witty.

Guys, I'm starting to think this game is one of the best games.

I'm not quite sure what Snuffleupagus is! but I have a feeling the reason Big didn't have too many fans is that the only time he had gameplay was during Adventure and it was just a lackluster fishing game. So, that stigma alone I believe is why, and maybe because he's not a 'cool' character like most of the other Sonic characters. There really is nothing wrong with him that I can point out, he's just a slowish jungle cat that says/does goofy things.
Snuffleupagus is this thing from Sesame Street! He speaks very slowly, and they used to think he was a figment of Big Bird's imagination.

I think it's mostly because his missions and gameplay structure weren't ones that people felt were particularly engaging. After that, he was just a character put there for decoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom