• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I never played PSO; wasn't interested in playing online (my Dreamcast didn't even have Internet going into it, anyway), and I heard single-player was dreadfully dull.

Gamecube version is the one you play for offline, and I put in 600 something hours of pure offline into that one as I didn't have a adapter at the time. I have played the DC one yes, but the Gamecube version is superior in everywhere and has way more content and better graphics. Also multiplayer splitscreen.

So if you're going to ever play PSO, I suggest either the Gamecube version or Blueburst. Game is amazing.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh shit. Yeah, I gotta get to that right now. The event counts solo missions right?

Event counts everywhere, but just try joining TTF Hards or TTF Very Hard. I mean you'll sky rocket in level in no time, I think with just 3-4 TTFs you might get to 80.

Project X Zone NA release makes me a happy happy camper.
I just heard about this, yeah.

Really no idea what to expect of this game, though. It's... some kind of strategy game, right? With cameos from lots of games I don't care about. And Street Fighter and Mega Man X, which I do. (I suppose there's Ulala, but I never really got into Space Channel 5...)

Noi

The actual gameplay in PXZ isn't too hot. I'm mostly getting it cause it's the first time I get to play as some of these characters for years now. *glares at the Capcom and Namco side*

At least that makes two 3DS games that I'll own and likely not sell!

Project X Zone is the closest I can get to Valkyria Chronicles 3 right now, well aside from fumbling through foreign languages, it at least has that much going for it.
Not sure if the game itself is actually good though, it's pretty small time really compared to some of the delicious looking 3DS treats coming in this first half of the year, specifically Fire Emblem (screw you NoE) and Monster Hunter.

whoops, botched post.

Basically I as going to say what Green Scar said below, UK hopefully loves Layton enough to carry over the Ace Attorney cross over and in a perfect world they'll all become AA fans as well, AA5 sells by the bucket load and Capcom give in to AAI2 demands.

BlackJace

What is this exactly?

I just heard about this, yeah.

Really no idea what to expect of this game, though. It's... some kind of strategy game, right? With cameos from lots of games I don't care about. And Street Fighter and Mega Man X, which I do. (I suppose there's Ulala, but I never really got into Space Channel 5...)

It's a hyper combo-driven strategy/fighting game hybrid. A strategic Smash Bros/Marvel vs Capcom if you will. Turn-based, you move around the grid, engage enemies and combo them into oblivion.

The gameplay's not for everyone, but it looks right up my alley in terms of my tastes. Love SRPGs, and the fact that this one is hyper crazy makes it even more enticing.

Noi

At least Fire Emblem will get me to dust off my 3DS, literally. I'm pretty sure I haven't touched mine since I got rid of KH3D a month after that came out.

It's a hyper combo-driven strategy/fighting game hybrid. A strategic Smash Bros/Marvel vs Capcom if you will.

Some would call that an insult to Smash/Marvel.

PXZ has the John McClane stand-in from Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Cop.

For that I don't care what it is, that's awesome.

SEGA side makes up for including a load of nobodies with characters like him and Ulala. Capcom probably has the most exciting picks (Resi, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers) and Namco's is just uggghhhh beyond their Tekken inclusion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Urgh, need to get to those videos Sciz and Shadow Hog posted later.

Our lurker, DBean, is streaming if you guys are interested: http://www.twitch.tv/dbean_
Did he apply for a GAF account yet? *hasn't gone into IRC yet*

Time for a classic to be revisited.

Crisis City Comparison
I still think the Generations version of it made it a much better-design level. I loved Crisis City in Generations once I got used to it.

Well, Sonic threads have definitely improved since I joined. Part of the reason I joined GAF is because threads like that were always just collections of creepy fanart and people linking that Shawn Elliot "married to Sonic" clip over and over again and I just wanted to get in there and ask everybody what their problem was.

Some fanboy habits are easier to break than others. :p
But that still happens, though I guess it sometimes doesn't happen thanks to the Awesome Fanart Thread. Even then, the threads are generally full of snark and they're irritating as hell to navigate because of it. :|

Project X Zone NA release makes me a happy happy camper.
WHAT?!

where
when
how
oh my god i just got into my lunch break when did this happen

oh my gawwwwwd

(I honestly check my subscriptions most of the time when I'm on GAF so I tend to miss some threads)

Noi

SEGA side makes up for including a load of nobodies with characters like him and Ulala. Capcom probably has the most exciting picks (Resi, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers) and Namco's is just uggghhhh beyond their Tekken inclusion.

I'm good with the Namco side because it's games they don't give a shit about localizing anymore. Lord knows if we'll ever get another .Hack or a Sakura Taisen again.

I'm good with the Namco side because it's games they don't give a shit about localizing anymore. Lord knows if we'll ever get another .Hack or a Sakura Taisen again.

I suppose. And they at least have a Tales character Western gamers might recognise (dude from Vesperia). But... I get why this is appealing, to people who follow obscure-ass JRPGs and the like (well everyone knows of .hack but you get me) this game is awesome. But when you say to me, "YO MAN, CROSSOVER GAME WITH NAMCO, SEGA AND CAPCOM" I suddenly have vision of Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man all bro-ing out together. And I can't be the only one.

I think the game looks like a turd beyond that, though, so I guess it doesn't matter!

Noi

I suppose. And they at least have a Tales character Western gamers might recognise (dude from Vesperia). But... I get why this is appealing, to people who follow obscure-ass JRPGs and the like (well everyone knows of .hack but you get me) this game is awesome. But when you say to me, "YO MAN, CROSSOVER GAME WITH NAMCO, SEGA AND CAPCOM" I suddenly have vision of Pac-Man, Sonic and Mega Man all bro-ing out together. And I can't be the only one.

I think the game looks like a turd beyond that, though, so I guess it doesn't matter!

I don't disagree with this! Hell, the pessimist in me thinks the game is gonna be a flop in the west as well, but damn if I can't go out of my way to put my money where my mouth is regarding western localization support. I'll at least get a kick out of being able to play as X for the first time since 2004.

Considering Sega usually go out of their way to put Sonic in everything, I don't really miss him in PXZ. That and all the characters in it are humanoid anyway. Last time we had Pac-Man and Mega Man bro-ing out, we got SFxT.

qq more

I don't disagree with this! Hell, the pessimist in me thinks the game is gonna be a flop in the west as well, but damn if I can't go out of my way to put my money where my mouth is regarding western localization support. I'll at least get a kick out of being able to play as X for the first time since 2004.

Considering Sega usually go out of their way to put Sonic in everything, I don't really miss him in PXZ. That and all the characters in it are humanoid anyway. Last time we had Pac-Man and Mega Man bro-ing out, we got SFxT.

They could of have put Robotnik...

but I agree that the other Sonic characters don't belong in the game. Sonic would be so out of place. haha

Check my edit. :p

I was just joking around about the unique naming you assigned to Yuri Lowell, actually your overall point rings mostly true, while there's a lot of characters in the game there's not many that i'm crossover hyped for, it's all just sort of neat to me.

Though it's fun to see some of the more obscure characters, like Gemini Sunrise who I almost forgot existed, I couldn't get into that Sakura Wars game.

I suppose if they made a decision to only have humanoid characters, then it makes a bit more sense. But even then, you could still Bayonetta or Kazuma Kiryu or Vyse or Ryo Hazuki... or hell, Sunbro!

OK, I'll stop complaining now. I'm a stickler for crossovers. :p

I was just joking around about the unique naming you assigned to Yuri Lowell

Damn, I knew he was called Yuri. Didn't want to get it wrong, I know some types around here love them some Tales.

I suppose if they made a decision to only have humanoid characters, then it makes a bit more sense. But even then, you could still Bayonetta or Kazuma Kiryu or Vyse or Ryo Hazuki... or hell, Sunbro!

Well, now I can never view the game as anything less than the ultimate missed opportunity, jolly cooperation denied!

Though I assume that maybe they stuck to the more "in house" characters of each company maybe? not that I can pencil in the exact studio origins of all the characters in the game.

Damn, I knew he was called Yuri. Didn't want to get it wrong, I know some types around here love them some Tales.
Yeah, Schala would get devastated if you mocked the beloved plot and characters of those games.

Noi

I'd take all of those as well! This is the pro to being a fan of so many series (with the con being the odds of seeing them die like so many of them have in the west. ;_; )

At least this game has the real Dante in it, though Capcom Japan seem to not love Dino anyway. PS All-Stars was such a slap in the face.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
can't stop watching the trailer

all these characters i know

oh man the soundtraaaack

i'm so hyped right now *sob*

this is the only time you'll ever see me fangirling over anything so let me have this!

Nah, you know I don't really care.

Actually, it might surprise some people, but I'm not that huge of a Tales fan. I just... man, I don't even know what got me so much into the series this generation.

I think I've asked him that when we first discussed that and he said no.
Trying to think of other alternatives, but can't come up with any. It sucks because I'd like him to join and keep up the thread somewhat rather than be stuck in IRC. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom