• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know what did for me! I wish I'd played a CC-based Tales games before, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed them way more than the TP-based ones.
You need to play Tales of Destiny R, Noi. Knowing your tastes, you'll probably love it.

I have these three games to get through:
EfaPyKl.jpg
Think I might do Zero no Kiseki Evolution last because the Kiseki games' chapters must be played in lengthy sittings. Not spurts.

Innocence R goes second. Mostly because people keep asking me about Innocence R and what it's like and I have no idea what to tell 'em outside of what happens in the demo. :lol

Time Travelers goes first because it's a visual novel.

hey man.

I need Project X Zone.

I'm... so happy... I never thought... ;_;

I was pretty close to just importing the damn thing. I had played the demo on the JP eShop, and it was honestly the only time I've ever enjoyed a strategy/tactics RPG. (Nothing against the genre, but they're just way too slow for my liking.) Soundtrack isn't as great as I would have hoped, but I was still sold on the game.

Crazy that Bamco of all companies has gotten their ass in gear with localizations compared to the ongoing joke that is Square-Enix.

They're waiting on Eidos to announce some stuff to pimp as their own.
Oh, right, Square-Enix's next big game: Tomb Raider.

Oddly, the whole "you'll want to protect her" thing they've been pushing makes me think very much of Moe characters and stuff, which is by-and-large a very Japanese thing (y'know, barring Fluttershy or something). I know that's... not really what they're going for, and even their Lara doesn't seem especially Moe, but the phraseology...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahhh, I need to watch that retsupurae when I get home. -_-

and that RunButton Sonic 4 episode.

you guys are giving me too much homework.

Am I the only one who keeps reading that game's title and immediately thinks of the debt ceiling negotiations?
No. I think it's a dumb name. Do you want to bravely default on your loans?

People who've played the JP version have been raving about it, but I don't have a JP 3DS so I can't play it.

Oddly, the whole "you'll want to protect her" thing they've been pushing makes me think very much of Moe characters and stuff, which is by-and-large a very Japanese thing (y'know, barring Fluttershy or something). I know that's... not really what they're going for, and even their Lara doesn't seem especially Moe, but the phraseology...
but by contrast lightning's supposed to be a strong female character!!!

Ahhh, I need to watch that retsupurae when I get home. -_-

and that RunButton Sonic 4 episode.

you guys are giving me too much homework.
You're not alone, there. I have to program in a feature for SRB2, too, and on top of this I just wanna play Metroid Prime for hours on end :I

but by contrast lightning's supposed to be a strong female character!!!
I'll take your word for that; I've avoided Final Fantasy XIII like the plague.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I give up in that Project X Zone thread. -_-

That's why I try to avoid posting in any of those games+sexuality threads or those females & games threads. They just make me a little furious.

You're not alone, there. I have to program in a feature for SRB2, too, and on top of this I just wanna play Metroid Prime for hours on end :I
So much stuff to do so little time. :(

I'll take your word for that; I've avoided Final Fantasy XIII like the plague.
I was joking. I don't like the character at all. But that's what they're trying to market her as by putting her in all of these games.

I think get the idea they were going for with the whole "protect her" statement, it's a less capable Lara here in a more hostile situation, I assume what they meant is that you'd be more emotionally invested (all the rage these days!) in the characters survival because of this but they didn't really phrase it correctly.
That of course on top of other negative press like the old "rapey" enemy encounter which was hastily restated and her constant cries of anguish doing pretty much anything paint an odd picture when put together, so Moe it becomes and as of this new theory it was all those crazy guys at Square influencing it!

Not that it really matters to me at all, I hold no real interest in the game or series.

BlackJace

Fun fact: I actually just made the image for that article this past week :V

(Well, okay, I ripped it from a Stuart Ashen video, but still!)

Haha that's cool. I was browsing the site's "Missing/banned episodes" section after reading that the Dexter's laboratory banned episode was recovered.

I should be at least a bit excited considering I loved Dexter's Lab but I dunno, I can only see cheap shock value coming from this in the sense of "oh my! they shouldn't be saying/doing that!"
Then again I don't know what i'd be expecting otherwise.

qq more

I should be at least a bit excited considering I loved Dexter's Lab but I dunno, I can only see cheap shock value coming from this in the sense of "oh my! they shouldn't be saying that!"
Then again I don't know what i'd be expecting otherwise.

In all honestly, it's exciting to see a lost episode of a cartoon you loved as a kid. Especially when it's... well, very different than the usual. :lol

Nert

Haha, that Project X Zone thread is hilarious. It went down the tubes like that Earthworm Jim level.

But guys, we're calling it "fanservice," so it's a good thing that they included those particular animations. OF COURSE you have to have those types of animations. Also every person in Japan demands it or they wont buy the game. I went to Japan, trust me I'm an expert.

I decided to leave that thread because I'm not super interested in the game itself and I didn't want to derail it any further, but yeah, some of that stuff was odd to say the least.

They could've put in Rouge.

DLC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Dexter's Lab is getting on YouTube? Good! Can't wait.

I was taking a nap, what happened.
Games and sexualization talk. We've all been down this road before, and it makes my post quality suffer.

But guys, we're calling it "fanservice," so it's a good thing that they included those particular animations. OF COURSE you have to have those types of animations. Also every person in Japan demands it or they wont buy the game. I went to Japan, trust me I'm an expert.

I decided to leave that thread because I'm not super interested in the game itself and I didn't want to derail it any further, but yeah, some of that stuff was odd to say the least.
I liked the one person who asked me if I had ever been to Japan before (I haven't) after responding to my post, but the generalization is simply ridiculous.

Square, foot, shooting, etc

I guess, though i'm sure none of us want to watch Electric Soldier Porygon as far as lost episodes go.

I'm legitimately curious about that one.

Only shows I could think were shock value wouldn't work is like early Nickelodeon cartoons because they got away with a lot already!

To be fair, a lot of shows in the 90s beyond Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network got away with slipping stuff past the censors. I was watching a bit of Batman: The Animated Series on DVD a few days ago, and in the audio commentary Bruce Timm & Paul Dini talk about some of the stuff they got away with. It's really interesting.

Noi

Games and sexualization talk. We've all been down this road before, and it makes my post quality suffer.

Oh, those kinds of posts.

Are we gonna see sexualized Sonic characters for the next major game? They need to go Sonic XXX on that shit to move copies in Japan!

I'm legitimately curious about that one.

To be fair, a lot of shows in the 90s beyond Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network got away with slipping stuff past the censors. I was watching a bit of Batman: The Animated Series on DVD a few days ago, and in the audio commentary Bruce Timm & Paul Dini talk about some of the stuff they got away with. It's really interesting.

Yea, just looking on TV tropes reveals how much they got away with...a lot of it went over my head as a kid, like nearly everything they did on Animaniacs which I watched a lot of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom