• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

It makes more sense considering that SEGA have always had a decent time of it in Europe, and RTS is big business there.

Their American division is kinda the weak link, nowadays.

It makes sense, it's just weird tracing the company's transformation over the course of the generation to this point. I'm not used to Sega making smart business decisions.

Sega of America's been the weak link for a while, which is why they got their autonomy stripped and handed to Sega Europe a year or two ago.

Oh yeah, it has been a big change. The weirdest part is that they did it all through business acquisitions- jumping on top of Sports Interactive when Eidos fucked up? Hell of a smart move.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why can't nintendo schedule NDs in the afternoon when normal people can watch them?

This hurts so much.

You know what else hurts? Wind Waker HD's bloom on my eyes.

Japanese Wii U VC is getting Mother 2 is what he's getting at.
Yeah, that bloom really sucks. I didn't want to say it in the thread on Gaming Side because people are being a little crazy already, but man they need to remove that nonsense.

Hadn't watched ND yet so I didn't know Mother was going on the JP VC. Wonder if when I do get a Wii U, I should get a JP one or an NA one... Hmm.

You all knew you'd cave in for Rayman Legends eventually, tell me i'm wrong platformer Gaf.
You're not wrong at all.

Yoshi confirmed to be a Sonic game.

yoshifwcpy.gif
What the hell did I miss now?!

Fuck being in a damn lab all day, computerless. >:|

I'm gonna watch some Nintendo Direct now. Was there a thread for that that I missed? I had to go on IGN for that news.

blah blah Nintendo games whatever
I'm excited

SEGA news!

For those not following the death of THQ, Sega picked up Relic and presumably their associated IPs Company of Heroes, which means that when you add CoH to what they already had in Total War, Sega damn near owns the RTS genre now (Starcraft aside, and we'll see how well Planetary Annihilation takes off). Throw in Football Manager and it's likely that their PC exclusives outweigh the rest of their development.

What a weird road for a company whose lifeblood used to be arcades to travel down.
Wow! I'm rather impressed. I wonder if that means Sega might be able to get a little bit out of the financial hole they're in now? Hm...

Well, Sega's still arcade-like.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
9 AM EST isn't normal for people who have jobs/class. :(

Dammit, Nintendo.

I think it's just weird that they schedule all of them for about the same time (EU, JP, NA). Some of these times are weeeeiiiird.

Kokonoe

Banned
Radiant Historia is so polished, that is possibly the greatest thing about it. It's as if they thought of every possible thing that might be annoying in a video game and got rid of it. One of the most polished games I've played.

What the hell did I miss now?!

Fuck being in a damn lab all day, computerless. >:|

I'm gonna watch some Nintendo Direct now. Was there a thread for that that I missed? I had to go on IGN for that news.

1. Wind Waker HD with new graphics
2. Yoshi Land
3. Wii U VC games with Game Pad support
4. New Monolith game
5. Announcements of new Mario, Smash, and something else to be shown at e3.
6. Fixes to the Wii OS
7. Shin Megami X Fire Emblem

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Either way, you're not getting it for 65 US cents.
That's okay. I still have my SNES cartridge. >.>

Radiant Historia is so polished, that is possibly the greatest thing about it. It's as if they thought of every possible thing that might be annoying in a video game and got rid of it. One of the most polished games I've played.
I wrote this in the RH thread when I finished it off (it was the first game I played through in an OT on GAF, now that I think about it. I was still a junior then!):

I'm tired, so I'll make final impressions brief.

It's a great game, a wonderful homage to RPGs of old (and thus, in a way, refreshing). Narrative gets a little iffy towards the end, but that's to be expected in JRPGs, I think. There were some slight spelling and grammatical errors in the text (some errors were a little glaring like misspelling Stocke's name in some of the timeline summaries, but it's not like the general RPG player would notice it). Stocke is a great protagonist, and didn't do anything that made me roll my eyes or sigh in frustration, something that feels like a rarity in recent JRPGs. He didn't necessarily "develop", but instead more of his multifaceted personality was revealed to the player as a way of showing "development". It was nice.

If you've heard of Radiant Historia, the first thing you probably heard about it was that it had a "Chrono Trigger element" of time travel. It's not as free as CT's time travel, though (ie: go anywhere in 12 000 BC, go anywhere in 600 AD, etc). The timeline works in such a fashion that there are "events" and "nodes" that symbolize various points in time that your characters have been through. The only places that you can time travel to are the nodes, which are usually either the beginning of chapters, near the end of chapters, or at a crucial point in the chapter. If you are doing sidequests, you will have to travel back to one of these nodes (but sometimes, you'll have to play through an entire segment of a chapter in order to get to the sidequest area, which is a bit of a pain sometimes).

At this point, you might be asking, "If time-travel nodes are at the beginning of chapters or at crucial plot points, then wouldn't you be forced to watch cutscenes and scroll through dialogue you've seen before?" Luckily, no. You can fast-forward through the text you've already seen with X, or you can just press the Start button to skip the dialogue scene altogether! Very convenient.

This game also has multiple endings: there are bad, good and true endings. If you meet a bad end (even the sidequests have bad ends), it's not the end for you. You just have to go back and make the "right" decision. The true ending is achieved by doing 10 particular sidequests. The best part of this game is that nothing is missable. You can still venture back and forth in time to see what you've missed or what you've yet to accomplish in both past and present. A caution: sidequests aren't explicitly marked. You may have to ask other RH players if there are sidequests in a certain chapter, or you may have to follow a FAQ.

Also, there is no quicksave. Save points are very plentiful in the game, but sometimes when you do grind and are nowhere near a save point when you need to do something else, it feels like an oversight. It's just a small complaint, though. Doesn't bear a ton on the game itself.

Radiant Historia's refreshing nature, however, truly comes from the battle system. It's sheer proof that a game does not need elaborate smoke and mirrors, or "complicated-looking" level up systems. It relies on simplicity with a minor tweak. The battle system is a great take on turn-based combat. It never gets boring. Enemies can be pushed and pulled in different directions on a 3x3 grid. Enemy position is rather important: if they are in the front row, they will do more damage to your party. If they are in the back, they'll do less damage. What is the best way to maximize your results in battle is to bunch up the enemies on one area of the grid and combo them with your characters. Enemy and ally turn order is shown on the top screen, and you have the ability to swap turns with either foe or friend to maximize the effects of your combo. Characters will also obtain a sort of "limit break gauge", and have an inventory of three skills to use it up.

Characters gain skills as they level up, and all playable characters gain XP even if they're not in-battle. The encounter rate is good, and there are no random battles. All enemies can be seen on the screen. Stocke also has the ability to hit an enemy to knock it out and then engage it for a pre-emptive strike. Or he could just knock it out and not fight it. The choice is up to you. Sometimes this mechanic is a little imprecise, but when it works, it feels great to get that jump on your enemy.

As for the soundtrack, I don't really like Shimomura's stuff outside of her Street Fighter II and other SNES music and her Last Ranker score, but this is one I really really enjoyed (despite hearing the same tracks ad nauseam). It's one of the better scores on the DS (outmatched by Masashi Hamauzu's Sigma Harmonics score, Toshihiko Horiyama's Apollo Justice score, Yuzo Koshiro's 7th Dragon score, and Takeharu Ishimoto's The World Ends With You score). However, The soundtrack is too short; 25 tracks doesn't seem like enough for this game, especially when you consider that SNES games had scores that spanned 3 CDs. Hearing the same music repeatedly at some points wasn't really tiresome, but more like, "Eh, I heard this already" and didn't have much of an impact. Shame that the World Map theme is used as the field theme in a TON of places (also I didn't really like it that much).

When I first heard of Radiant Historia, I figured it'd be like Chrono Trigger through-and-through. While this is true to an extent, I found myself looking for other games I loved dearly in past console generations. I found Final Fantasy VI (steampunk), Final Fantasy Tactics (politics), Suikoden (war, friendship and rebellion) and Tactics Ogre (rebellion) in this. I appreciated what it had to offer, and it certainly deserves a place in any JRPG player's library.

Pros:
+nice narrative
+feels like an homage to RPGs of yore
+great music
+freakin' fun battle system
+depth in simplicity
+can skip cutscenes
+no random battles

Cons:
-soundtrack too short
-no quicksave
-nodes sometimes not placed in convenient places

In-betweens:
-some may consider this game to be very text-heavy
I ended up enjoying it a lot.

1. Wind Waker HD with new graphics
2. Yoshi Land
3. Wii U VC games with Game Pad support
4. New Monolith game
5. Announcements of new Mario, Smash, and something else to be shown at e3.
6. Fixes to the Wii OS
7. Shin Megami X Fire Emblem
Do I get a Wii U now or do I wait for a redesign/new colour? I really really really think I need one for at least Yoshi Land, the Monolith game, Rayman, and MegaTen x Fire Emblem.

Nintendo coming out with the big guns now. I don't know if the E3 announcements are gonna be my thing because I'm not very interested in that stuff.

qq more

9 AM EST isn't normal for people who have jobs/class. :(

Dammit, Nintendo.

I think it's just weird that they schedule all of them for about the same time (EU, JP, NA). Some of these times are weeeeiiiird.

In their defense, the Wii U Virtual Console launched right after the Direct. Eshop never updates until 12PM... so that's probably why they did it so early.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega needs to announce the Wii U Sonic game so I'll get one for sure. :(

Most of those games are a long way off. There's no rush.
Oh, really? Well... I hope they talk about different colours at E3 but I'm not holding my breath.

In their defense, the Wii U Virtual Console launched right after the Direct. Eshop never updates until 12PM... so that's probably why they did it so early.
Ah, that's understandable then.

Is this real life? SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM?
Some demons are obviously going to be left out for obvious reasons because they aren't as subtle as Cloyster.

BlackJace

I just saw the thread, Scar :D. It was at the bottom of the first page when I logged in so I missed it at first lol. Literally spat out my juice.

Noi

Persona x Everything else SMT.

Yeah I'm dull.

Do I get a Wii U now or do I wait for a redesign/new colour? I really really really think I need one for at least Yoshi Land, the Monolith game, Rayman, and MegaTen x Fire Emblem.

Nintendo coming out with the big guns now. I don't know if the E3 announcements are gonna be my thing because I'm not very interested in that stuff.

Most of the stuff they announced doesn't even have a release year. There's no rush at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This Nintendo Direct is so long because Iwata really paces himself. Edit: holy shit aonuma looks oooooooooooold.

Square-Enix, your move. (lololol at that Monolith Soft > SE thread in gaming side that I haven't read through yet)

I'd wait too, Schala. The announcements today just confirm that it will indeed be worth your time and money in the future.
Most of the stuff they announced doesn't even have a released year. There's no rush at all.
Yeah, I just want to wait for price cut or a new colour. I could do what I did with the PS3 and what I'm doing with the 360 in that I buy a bunch of the games I want before I purchase the console. It's not a bad idea in case there's a low print-run of something.

Noi

Yeah, I just want to wait for price cut or a new colour. I could do what I did with the PS3 and what I'm doing with the 360 in that I buy a bunch of the games I want before I purchase the console. It's not a bad idea in case there's a low print-run of something.

I'm torn between, whenever I get around to it, getting a WiiU used to not have them get a cent from me or buying it New cause they lose money on each console sold. At least with the former I have a chance of getting free games.

Still, unless Sony completely drops the ball on the reasons why I support their hardware so much, I'll likely own a PS4 before a WiiU.

People wanting Pokemon x Monster Hunter are really weird.

I've always wanted to see the insides of a Pikachu.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
good god no
But both series are just as verbose as each other so why not?! :p

amekbv.gif

Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah. "Girl, you wanted an airship this generation? Here's a fucking ROBOT. Have fun with it."

Noi said:
I'm torn between, whenever I get around to it, getting a WiiU used to not have them get a cent from me or buying it New cause they lose money on each console sold. At least with the former I have a chance of getting free games.

Still, unless Sony completely drops the ball on the reasons why I support their hardware so much, I'll likely own a PS4 before a WiiU.
See, I want to know if I can get it at a time when it becomes region-free. Then all of my issues will be solved. I hate that it's region-locked. So... I dunno yet.

I hope PS4 is region-free.

Pl511

Neo Member
I was working with a friend last year on some Sonic Colours remixes, and we decided to go for house using Planet Wisp Act 1, Green Hill Zone and His World. We were creating this weird sort of fusion of regular piano and a dance track, and I think the result was pretty unique.

(Sonic Colours - Planet Wisp House Remix)

We were actually featured on SEGA Radio last month, so it seems like at least some people enjoyed it. :D

Took a shuttle to space
and left from our home
at least I'm with friends and I'm not all alone
the bad thing was...that the space marines spilled
Got to fight orkz man?
Time to get ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom