• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Guaranteed:

Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Shadow
Silver
Blaze

Likely:

Vector
Rouge

Wildcard:

any one of Espio, Omega, Cream, or possibly Metal Sonic
That's pretty much everybody playable (or soon to be playable) in Sonic Jump, so I'd say that's legit

Now that I see it plainly in front of me, we certainly don't need that many :V

Sciz

Oh you, I completely forgot about Rouge. Those were a nice few minutes before you had to go and ruin it for me.

Sorry. She's only just above wildcard status, and I'd switch her with Metal Sonic except he bounces back and forth between NPC and playable character.

That's pretty much everybody playable (or soon to be playable) in Sonic Jump, so I'd say that's legit

Now that I see it plainly in front of me, we certainly don't need that many :V

If we're getting characters, we're getting all the characters, or else people start bitching about not being able to run around as Silver. Sega's in a tough spot in that regard.

I figure they'd break down into having various types of abilities mixed and matched, e.g. Boost/Flight/Climbing/Gliding/Power Attack/Ranged Attack/whatever. Everyone gets a unique set of two or three.

Still a massive level design challenge though.

Noi

Skimmed most of the posts in the rumor thread.

...Wtf am I reading? Some of these posts are awful, jesus christ.

Wario Land 1 is kind of disappointing as I don't like its physics at all, Wario Land 2 on the other hand is a game i'll champion, a collectathon platformer done right.

Anth0ny

I just went through Wario Land for the first time and I enjoyed it.

But Wario Land 3 is on a whole other level. My favorite non-Pokemon Gameboy game. TOO GOOD.

qq more

I stopped liking 4 when I fought that stupid annoying awful teddy bear boss that I always lose thanks to the timer. ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4 wasn't really bad outside of that

Kokonoe

Banned
I stopped liking 4 when I fought that stupid annoying awful teddy bear boss that I always lose thanks to the timer. ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That boss upset me when I was 11 years old, it took me a few tries to beat it then. Nice challenge.

I stopped replaying the ambassador copy because that git was ruining my perfect treasure run, how the hell do you kill the guy before the time limit drops low enough that my precious treasure gets taken away?
This is funny though because earlier I was going to make a post about this exact boss as I ranked the series but decided against it but now I know that someone else shares my pain.

Wario Land is better WAH HA HA HA
Yes

Wario Land 1 is kind of disappointing as I don't like its physics at all, Wario Land 2 on the other hand is a game i'll champion, a collectathon platformer done right.
Yes

Wario Land 3 = 2 > 1 > 4

I can never decide between 2 and 3 as my favorite.
Yes

I just went through Wario Land for the first time and I enjoyed it.

But Wario Land 3 is on a whole other level. My favorite non-Pokemon Gameboy game. TOO GOOD.
Yes

Wario Land 3 is the only bad Wario Land.
No

Quackula

I loved Wario Land 1, played a huge chunk of 2 but idk it didn't do much for me. Like, I appreciate how original it is and all the cool stuff they were doing with it, but I don't know, I guess I just prefer the whole twisted take on Mario that the original's gameplay was.

Quackula

Oh god I just realized I'm sitting here with a Wario avatar saying I wasn't super keen on WL2 and I haven't even played Wario Land 3 and 4.

what am i even doing lol

I never played 2 and 3, how different are they from 1?
Kokonoe's description is pretty apt. You're at a starting point, and have to reach an ending point. These ending points differ between the two.

In Wario Land 2, it's just a door (or a boss, depending on the level); reaching it (and in the latter case, beating it) will finish the stage. However, there are sometimes two doors out of a given stage; going to the hidden one opens up a secret world (not just one level, usually, but like five of them in a row). There are, like, five (I think?) different endings to the game that you can reach - one from just going straight through the normal exits, and several others you reach from those secret worlds.

Wario Land 3, on the other hand, has you finding a colored key somewhere in the level, and then opening a treasure chest of the same color. There are four key/chest pairs in each level (grey, red, green, blue). You generally cannot get all of them your first time around; you have to find certain treasures in other stages to alter the level design of earlier ones, opening new paths up. On top of that, most of Wario's arsenal of moves are missing, and you have to gradually re-earn them; this also opens up new paths in past levels. Eventually, you'll get the five Macguffins the mysterious figure in the opening sequence sends you after (five special music boxes), and thus unlock the final boss fight. I suppose your mileage may vary on how fun that is, but I actually kinda like it; it's basically a stage-based Metroid game starring Wario, and my favorite in the series.

You cannot die; any hit just sends you flying uncontrollably backward (and losing some coins in Wario Land 2, which are needed to play the minigames for 100% completion). Typically, that's enough to send you further back in the stage than you'd like to be, which turns out to be a surprisingly adequate punishment in lieu of potential death. However, this game puts focus on Wario getting hit by very specific types of attacks, which transform him into various forms required to reach certain areas or solve certain puzzles. Wario Land 4 kept the transformation concept, but added in a health bar for better or worse (didn't really change much, I suppose).

Also, both games are much, much longer than WL4 is, honestly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I haven't been around long enough to know how things were before, but after that thread, I'm so glad that this one is as mellow as it is. You guys rock.
From what I heard (because I got approved around the time Generations was announced), before Generations was announced, it was even worse. Frankly, I'm very annoyed with it and I know Sonic threads on Gaming Side should progress better than that and leave out the silly posts.

Community Thread just has the people who kept turning the various Generations announcement threads into community threads anyway, haha.

I wish Wario World wasn't so short.

I'd like Treasure to develop another Wario game sometime. I think they're a good fit for him.

Yeah, I'd love to see Treasure take another crack it it. Though to be fair, there's a lot of stuff I'd like to see them work on.

I dunno. I'd rather them go slowly in terms of character inclusion as opposed to throwing in a buncha characters. It makes me feel a little uneasy.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'd rather them ease into including character variety rather than going all in. They run the risk of screwing up big time with the latter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'd rather them ease into including character variety rather than going all in. They run the risk of screwing up big time with the latter.
If they seemed to rush the tail end of Generations with wonky boss design and other various issues, that's why I'm a little worried. Generations seemed to have been accepted by many people as being a nicely-designed game despite its shortcomings at the end.

But... the games with a giant cast of characters to control have lately been "love-'em-or-hate-'em". They aren't really for everyone. Designing something incredibly complex right now doesn't seem to be in their best interests, and I feel like just including Tails, Knuckles, and one other person would be adequate.

(see, see, we're on topic now, see?!)

Kokonoe

Banned
Aiming those ring bombs are annoying, but the mess they cause afterwards and the fact that they are the exact models as rings is confusing when you're actually trying to get a ring.

You know i'm going to be pretty blunt here, those Sonic threads have improved and the current one isn't in a bad state at all, the few anti-sonic sentiments that pop up in them are not only in the minority but are no different to inflammatory remarks for most other franchises in threads here on Gaf and not unique to Sonic threads alone.
It almost feels that some of you curl up into a protective ball like a hedgehog itself the moment one person goes "them crazy Sonic fans am I right?".

qq more

You know i'm going to be pretty blunt here, those Sonic threads have improved and the current one isn't in a bad state at all, the few anti-sonic sentiments that pop up in them are not only in the minority but are no different to inflammatory remarks for most other franchises in threads here on Gaf and not unique to Sonic threads alone.
It almost feels that some of you curl up into a protective ball like a hedgehog itself the moment one person goes "them crazy Sonic fans am I right?".

I was only upset at a certain poster who likes generalizing people who wants a Classic Sonic game as Modern Sonic haters. He also has the tendency to show words into people's mouths, it is frankly really damn irritating. Not to mention I have a bit of a history with that poster (especially in Sonic 4 threads).

But other than that, I agree that it's been improving.

I think we're finally out of the shadow of the Sonic Cycle, anyway. People dared to dream that Generations would be good after the promising debut and how good Colours was, but there was still a few Sonic Cycle comments.

None at all this time- seems like we're well into the "third age" of Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, to be fair, at least they no longer descend into madness like they used to. I think I remember the one thread where people kept bringing up the Sonic Cycle and a bunch of us got ticked off that the meme finally got generalized to every Sonic game as opposed to a "type" of Sonic game.

But no, it's not as bad as it was before.

Speaking of which, that Monolith Soft vs Square-Enix thread is a hoot.

I think we're finally out of the shadow of the Sonic Cycle, anyway.
Shadow... Sonic Cycle... *ponders*

Nocturnowl said:
D... do I make a thread titled "Anyone want to be a hedgehog for some reason" now?

Kokonoe

Banned
You know I'm smarter than that! Plus I no longer have an imagination. :p

You would have to talk about how you hug a specific plushie on a consistent basis and post photos of those plushies and discuss your undying cuddle passion with the character as well on a consistent basis to get to the point where you create two threads about wanting to be an animal for the world to see.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You would have to talk about how you hug a specific plushie on a consistent basis and post photos of those plushies and discuss your undying cuddle passion with the character as well on a consistent basis to get to the point where you create two threads about wanting to be an animal for the world to see.
what.

Who's willing to put there reputation on the line to get this done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom