• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was only upset at a certain poster who likes generalizing people who wants a Classic Sonic game as Modern Sonic haters. He also has the tendency to show words into people's mouths, it is frankly really damn irritating. Not to mention I have a bit of a history with that poster (especially in Sonic 4 threads).

But other than that, I agree that it's been improving.
A SONIC RIVAL!
...Well i'll have to take your word for it, I remember that poster being a bit too forward in their junior days but I haven't seen enough of them recently to know what they're like now.

Well, to be fair, at least they no longer descend into madness like they used to. I think I remember the one thread where people kept bringing up the Sonic Cycle and a bunch of us got ticked off that the meme finally got generalized to every Sonic game as opposed to a "type" of Sonic game.

But no, it's not as bad as it was before.
See that's the spirit, you gotta rise above hate, I mean how else will you ever survive the wallowing pits that are Zelda threads without this burning spirit?

D... do I make a thread titled "Anyone want to be a hedgehog for some reason" now?
I already gave you all your shitty friend names Schala the Dark. I remember ViewtifulJC being a big fan of his...

But that thread, well i'd say I was surprised but then I saw the thread creator and it all came to light.
Basically Koko is on the ball here even if it sounds like nonsense.

And for no reason here's the best song from Sonic 3.
Underrated as both a song and a zone, or at least it's more rarely spoken of.

Nert

You know i'm going to be pretty blunt here, those Sonic threads have improved and the current one isn't in a bad state at all, the few anti-sonic sentiments that pop up in them are not only in the minority but are no different to inflammatory remarks for most other franchises in threads here on Gaf and not unique to Sonic threads alone.

I would agree with this reading. I might be exaggerating a bit, but old Sonic game rumors and announcements used to just prompt people to post SonicCycle.jpg over and over again. Generations and Colors aren't perfect games that have made everybody into true believers, but reading that thread makes it clear that a lot of people have enjoyed them and that they are now more interested in future titles.

See that's the spirit, you gotta rise above hate, I mean how else will you ever survive the wallowing pits that are Zelda threads without this burning spirit?

Psh. Zelda threads are nothing. Try going into any non-Community Mass Effect thread (there was a particularly dark period between the release of 2 and the release of 3 where there were almost weekly threads full of people tearing each other apart over whether 1 or 2 was the better game).

You would have to talk about how you hug a specific plushie on a consistent basis and post photos of those plushies and discuss your undying cuddle passion with the character as well on a consistent basis to get to the point where you create two threads about wanting to be an animal for the world to see.

That reminds me of this link that Shawn Elliot posted in this week's Idle Thumbs thread, and that's not a good thing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, Zelda threads. Man, I like all the Zelda games outside of the CD-i ones. Whatever. They've got some weird design at the beginning and some questionable hand-holding decisions, but outside of that, they're relatively polished. I loved Skyward Sword, and I don't care about whether or not other people like it.

Make it more like Dark Souls! Make it more like Darksiders! Make it more like... who cares. I think some mechanics in those games would be nice to implement in Zelda, but I don't care. I don't make the centerpiece of my enjoyment of the series. Whatever. Pretty sure it'll be like other Zelda games where the new Zelda game is the worst one in the series and the previous one is better. It usually happens.

I'm just surprised the Zelda Community Thread ended up dropping like a rock after Skyward Sword's release.

I already gave you all your shitty friend names Schala the Dark. I remember ViewtifulJC being a big fan of his...

But that thread, well i'd say I was surprised but then I saw the thread creator and it all came to light.
Basically Koko is on the ball here even if it sounds like nonsense.
I don't even. Like... wow.

Yeah, I'm not making any thread asking if people are otherkin. I wouldn't mind a tag, but it'd damn well better be a tag I'd actually like, and fishing for a tag like that won't net me such a tag.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I had to give you a tag, it'd be related to SRB2 anyway.

Tag-fishing may not yield the results you want most of the time. There is a poster on gaming side who's gotten his tag changed twice in a short period of time because of odd things he's said.

Pokemon fans are weird.
In light of the whole tarring Sonic fans with the same brush issue I find this slightly amusing.
But I do get what you mean.

I would agree with this reading. I might be exaggerating a bit, but old Sonic game rumors and announcements used to just prompt people to post SonicCycle.jpg over and over again. Generations and Colors aren't perfect games that have made everybody into true believers, but reading that thread makes it clear that a lot of people have enjoyed them and that they are now more interested in future titles.

Psh. Zelda threads are nothing. Try going into any non-Community Mass Effect thread (there was a particularly dark period between the release of 2 and the release of 3 where there were almost weekly threads full of people tearing each other apart over whether 1 or 2 was the better game).
Seeing the last two years of Mass Effect threads in particular makes me wonder how 2 managed to get the GotY in 2010 and also how 3 managed to still rank as high as it did this year, yeah i'll concede you this point.

Though if we want a game of one-upmanship then i'll just say DmC threads, not a series i've played much of but sweet jesus those are some volatile threads!

Oh, Zelda threads. Man, I like all the Zelda games outside of the CD-i ones. Whatever. They've got some weird design at the beginning and some questionable hand-holding decisions, but outside of that, they're relatively polished. I loved Skyward Sword, and I don't care about whether or not other people like it.

Make it more like Dark Souls! Make it more like Darksiders! Make it more like... who cares. I think some mechanics in those games would be nice to implement in Zelda, but I don't care. I don't make the centerpiece of my enjoyment of the series. Whatever. Pretty sure it'll be like other Zelda games where the new Zelda game is the worst one in the series and the previous one is better. It usually happens.

I'm just surprised the Zelda Community Thread ended up dropping like a rock after Skyward Sword's release.

I'm in the same boat, i've enjoyed all the games to a degree and can see the benefits of each, despite frequent complaints about how samey the series is they take clearly different angles on the base dungeon/over world concept to the point where someone will claim one entry as the greatest game they've ever played to its immediate sequel being an abomination. It's too many different things now to too many different people, it will never please everyone.

Interesting that the last set of Dark Souls mentions got mod intervention, that was a surprise. As for the Zelda community, well I can't see how a community could thrive out of the warring states we have here.

Yeah, I'm not making any thread asking if people are otherkin. I wouldn't mind a tag, but it'd damn well better be a tag I'd actually like, and fishing for a tag like that won't net me such a tag.
Shadow Hog
Poochie Dog

I'm sure you'd love it, it even rhymes!

There's nothing to ponder there and you know it. :p

Gonna hit up that Metal Gear Rising demo tonight. Sorry Nocturnowl.
My friend got the ZoE HD collection so I played it months ago, the game is fine,it's just that Raiden's a colossal cretin but you know the gameplay is what matters most so I bear no grudge.

That said it has a different flavour to Platinum's other brawlers, not sure how well it will hold out for an entire game once the style points wear off.

WHY WASN'T IT GREY FOX?! KOJIMA HAD THE RIGHT IDEA FOR ONCE ARRRRGGGGH!

Nocturnowl
Nocturne Owl

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go. My planet needs me.
*bwooooop*
That's a devastating blow right there but here's hoping you make it back to your home planet in one piece.

Noi

I don't have a shifty friend name... :(

I'm in the same boat, i've enjoyed all the games to a degree and can see the benefits of each, despite frequent complaints about how samey the series is they take clearly different angles on the base dungeon/over world concept to the point where someone will claim one entry as the greatest game they've ever played to its immediate sequel being an abomination. It's too many different things now to too many different people, it will never please everyone.

Agreed.

...Except for Skyward Sword. I can't not look at that game and say "what the fuck were they thinking."

BHZ Mayor

I don't even. Like... wow.

The response to Skyward Sword and the subsequent propping up of TP after the near-universal hate made me a believer of the Zelda Cycle.

The response to Skyward Sword and the subsequent propping up of TP after the near-universal hate made me a believer of the Zelda Cycle.
Yeah, there seems to be a big meme of "hate the most recent Zelda, love the Zelda that came immediately before it" going on since Majora's Mask or so.

I don't love ANY 3d Zelda, personally. There's always a mountain of shit I don't like about them, or downtime I hate, or boring traversal, or handholding junk, or just flat-out UGLY visuals, or blah blah blah. Link's Awakening and LttP are my shit, though, top 30 favorite games right there. The other ones aren't even top 100.

Agreed.

...Except for Skyward Sword. I can't not look at that game and say "what the fuck were they thinking."

While there's certainly a few points in SS where I can utter the same thing it's not enough that I think the game was bad, great game that could have been amazing without the odd quirks (I know what a razor claw is! stop telling me!), I feel though that I can say that for each entry beyond Majora's Mask.

Shit, that's a good point. A Grey Fox game, set in the 90s... man, that'd have been excellent.

What's my shitty friend name? Scar the Green? Nipples?
Did you miss the part where Kojima said that was his original plan before his team ruined it? because on that day I was filled with sorrow.

Scar the Green probably was the original name but the avatar is all about Nipples, maybe not Scar the Nipples, that sounds nasty.

Hey hey hey, let's not wish for things we can't have.

Looks like you have to preorder from Gamestop to get close to that though
PAL region victory, I think we just get it with every early copy.
Not sure if i'd day 1 it though, it's hard to when every games price drops in a month, Nintendo excluded.

Yeah, there seems to be a big meme of "hate the most recent Zelda, love the Zelda that came immediately before it" going on since Majora's Mask or so.
Casting the whole Zelda cycle thing across all of Gaf doesn't make much sense in reality but damn if it doesn't look to ring true sometimes with how the threads go.
I think it's more of a case of "don't know what you've got until it's gone", or that the fanbase is impossible to please for the most part, yeah it's probably that.

For you, I'm always reminded of that background filly from "Luna Eclipsed" crying that she "wanted to be a zombie next year". For some reason, the fandom called her Noi.

I do apologize for that, though.

(Man, what would a Sonic-style equine even look like?)

I'm pretty sure it's in the "awesome" fan art thread somewhere.

Yeah I have seen an example of it.

This was my response:

Thats-no-good.gif

Noi

While there's certainly a few points in SS where I can utter the same thing it's not enough that I think the game was bad, great game that could have been amazing without the odd quirks (I know what a razor claw is! stop telling me!), I feel though that I can say that for each entry beyond Majora's Mask.

I heavily disagree. I'm on my phone between classes though, so you're spared my thoughts on why I think SS is terrible, for now. Just mind that you're talking to someone who considers Wind Waker his favorite, triforce hunt and all.

For you, I'm always reminded of that background filly from "Luna Eclipsed" crying that she "wanted to be a zombie next year". For some reason, the fandom called her Noi.

I do apologize for that, though.

(Man, what would a Sonic-style equine even look like?)

Kill me.

Oh, the Rising Demo is out? Sweet, I should download that later. Even though I have little experience with the MGS series, I'm always down for a Platinum game.

That reminds me, I should get around to finishing MGS1. I think the last thing I did was that sniper battle.

Oh, the Rising Demo is out? Sweet, I should download that later. Even though I have little experience with the MGS series, I'm always down for a Platinum game.

That reminds me, I should get around to finishing MGS1. I think the last thing I did was that sniper battle.
Funny, that's exactly where I am in Twin Snakes.

TheOGB

Banned
MGR feels great as far as controls go. There's also apparently a hell of a lot of moves, the majority of which I did not know
but who need them when you've got Ninja Run > slide > zandatsu and the windmill of death

I have to finish MGS2 and 3. Dunno where I left off in 3, but I barely got anywhere in 2.

I'm surprised you guys actually read through that Sonic rumor thread, I took one look at it and then decided why bother?

Darnit, I miss out on discussion, stupid work shift...=/

TheOGB

Banned
Strange bug just now; Tails appeared next to me and prompty laid down and died…and his dead body stays there. He doesn’t get up or respawn or anything. He just lays there. Dead. Presumably forever.
I smell a creepypasta 6 years in the making

OMG Aero

Why did they ever think this was a good idea? :|
"Hey let's give Tails a weapon in this game like a bomb or something!"
"That's a great idea, do you want to make a new model for his bomb?"
"Fuck that. Let's just reuse something already in the game like the ring box or something."
You would have to talk about how you hug a specific plushie on a consistent basis and post photos of those plushies and discuss your undying cuddle passion with the character as well on a consistent basis to get to the point where you create two threads about wanting to be an animal for the world to see.
I think that guy started posting in the PokeGAF thread shortly before I stopped visiting that thread and yeah, that guy fucking weirded me out. Needless to say I wasn't surprised at all when I saw who posted those dragon and Pokemon threads.

Quackula

MGR feels great as far as controls go. There's also apparently a hell of a lot of moves, the majority of which I did not know
but who need them when you've got Ninja Run > slide > zandatsu and the windmill of death

I have to finish MGS2 and 3. Dunno where I left off in 3, but I barely got anywhere in 2.

I'm gonna be the weird guy and say my favorite is actually MGS2.

What can I say, I love the Patriots nonsense.

TheOGB

Banned
I am okay with a Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh Super Bowl. Super Baughl. Harbrawl. Super Harbaugh Bros. Bowl.

I don't like the Pats much

well hey, lookit that, two other guys decided to post at relatively the same time

I am okay with a Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh Super Bowl. Super Baughl. Harbrawl. Super Harbaugh Bros. Bowl.

I don't like the Pats much

well hey, lookit that, two other guys decided to post at relatively the same time

My dream was for a team with bright and beautiful orange jersies to be in Nawlins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom